Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

wins32767 posted:

My initial reaction is that I’m much more suspicious of merk and Hal after those flips.

‘d definitely like an extension because tomorrow is a hellishly long day for me.

What about those flips makes you more suspicious of me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hal, what do you think of IS?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I like merk's case on IS. I believe wins to be town. Both players are engaged and I feel good that they are playing with pro-town mainframes.

That leaves Mona, Chores and Hal.

Mona: null read. seems engaged, but at a level I would say is the minimum standard before everyone rightly calls out bad lurker behavior. (Pot calling kettle black yeah yeah eat a bug jerk)

Chores: calls for NL, sleeps through deadline (once again pot calling kettle black yadda yadda)
Chores said "I vote Hal" but actually did nothing.
leaning scum on chorts.

Hal: pretty much the same way I feel about Mona except theres more "content". Hal openly suspects and FoSs several players but I'm having trouble gauging whether that's paranoid town Hal or fast and loose scum Hal.

Between IS and Chores, I feel like Chores has done less and I'm not getting a trustworthy vibe from Chores. I mean just read that their posts this game lol ##vote Chores

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's an actual case on IS. The case on chores is that he hasn't contributed?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think it's weird you call me out as "barely above lurking" given the way merk was paraphrasing me as "writing mountains out of molehills."

Hell, aside from Hal I was the first one really writing the big effortposting on D1 as we wound down.

Anyway, same deal as it was on Tuesday - I'll be in class until early afternoon so expect more truncated hits from me before I get the chance to effortpost.

I'm fine with an extension if people need it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Before you go, can you comment on my IS case?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

merk posted:

There's an actual case on IS. The case on chores is that he hasn't contributed?

Yes. The unknown quantity versus the known quantity. You can't tell me that Chores has done anything for town that IS hasn't (which is to say, both aren't doing much). I'd rather deal with the unknown quantity.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What do you like about my IS case? What do you not like about my IS case?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Monathin posted:

I think it's weird you call me out as "barely above lurking" given the way merk was paraphrasing me as "writing mountains out of molehills."

Hell, aside from Hal I was the first one really writing the big effortposting on D1 as we wound down.

Anyway, same deal as it was on Tuesday - I'll be in class until early afternoon so expect more truncated hits from me before I get the chance to effortpost.

I'm fine with an extension if people need it.

I guess what I meant by my synopsis was there was a lot of excuses for "effort posts" to be "truncated" to fit into a busy irl schedule which I give you the benefit of the doubt for but I'm weary that could be used to your favor by allowing for a way to pass watered down (or manufactured) content off as an effort post. So I'm kinda in the middle on you rn.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

merk posted:

What do you like about my IS case? What do you not like about my IS case?

I agree that IS seems to be playing reactively vice making a push of his own volition and making attempt to convince us of his stance for or against a player or whatever

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
There isn't anything I specifically dislike about your case.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

merk posted:

Before you go, can you comment on my IS case?

I can't dig deep into it right now but on a surface skim it reads cleanly enough. I wasn't getting any hard pings off IS but I'm more than willing to reevaluate in light of this.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
tonight's deadline will be floating, I'll be video chatting with my best friend and then simul-watching the Good Place Series Finale, At Long Last, No Spoilers

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh wow tonight is deadline? That's a short day!

I will look at IS's merk case when I get home in a couple hours

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Good morning. I have a day filled with mandatory work training today so I will be in and out (but hopefully around enough).

merk posted:

IS scum because his participation looks like someone who wants to be reactive to the thread rather than original in scum hunting. He wants to see how chips are falling and put his bets where it gives him the least culpability in the event of lynch. If you read him over, there isn't any original targeting (besides the initial chores vote) or any content on people that you'd read at and look to IS in the event that player flips town.

For example, he wants to make sure we don't take his chores vote too seriously - and it's based on general mafia theory instead of actual scum hunting. He sat on this vote for most of the day:

His analysis for who to vote after chores is basically based on who has contributed to the thread or not:

This isn't a vote that gives IS any culpability when Fisk flips town, but it looks like he's being helpful.

##vote IS

I don’t mind being cased, but this is at best a misinterpretation of my D1, and at worst a sloppy attempt to throw shade.

I was pretty clear throughout D1 that chores was my preferred vote based on pushing the idea of no-dunk right out of the gate. That was my first vote and I stayed on it throughout most of the day. I did say I’d be open to considering other cases, and in fact mentioned Fisk at that point as well:

IllegallySober posted:

Went back to look at this- Dick hasn’t provided a lot but he’s provided more than chores and frankly more than Fisk, too.

I still like the chores vote but would happily switch to Fisk as well given that neither has provided much of anything for town to go off of.

IllegallySober posted:

I didn’t re-quote Mona or myself but I did go back and look at Fisk and as mentioned don’t see much there. I don’t have the meta-read Mona seems to in terms of “feels weirder coming from Fisk” but neither of Fisk or Chores seem invested in the game or in hunting scum to any appreciable degree.

When it became clear I was the only one on chores as we neared deadline, I opened up and looked at other cases. Merk, you can label my feelings about chores as “mafia theory instead of scum hunting” if you like, but the facts are I latched onto behavior that I thought was scummy- that being pushing the idea of NL in a 9-player game.

I also don’t really understand your point regarding my vote on Fisk. If anything, I’d figure you would have pushed the idea that I’d softly set up a Fisk vote earlier in the day, given the quote of mine above I pulled out (which isn’t the case, but if you were trying to create a case on me, that’s the angle I’d figure you’d take).

Here’s what I posted right before I voted Fisk:

IllegallySober posted:

Just got to where I was going. I’m having dinner with friends so will be distracted from now till likely deadline or shortly after.

I skimmed B- quickly and they seem to be closer to may wavelength than not on most things. I’d vote here to avoid NL but don’t feel great about it.

I don’t like this series of posts from merk but I guess it’s more likely self-preservation than not.

I don’t want to vote without seeing status and I can’t load VF. Can someone post it please?

Preview edit:

No problem :)

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, I think I feel best about this at the moment.

##unvote

##vote Fisk

Will try to check in ASAP but can’t promise it.

If you go to that last post, I quoted the vote count. Top 3 vote leaders at that point were B-minus, merk, and Fisk. I’d just explained I felt good about B and okay about merk and I’d said earlier I’d be fine with voting Fisk, so that’s why I voted there. Obviously Fisk flipped town so I was incorrect, but I did provide justification. I didn’t have a ton of time to restate why in that post as I was admittedly distracted and posting from a restaurant.

I’m not sure yet if this is a fabricated case by merk on me or just not understanding context at all. I’ll have to go back and reread merk after I finish my next training class.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
@merk, I, officially, on the record, had a town impression of IS d1 for being dumb enough to make an argument against me, which is an action that scum is normally too savvy to do.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

It's actually probably merk, honestly.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I unvote Hal and vote merk.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Can anyone confirm merk's scum game is to just make a bad case and then pester people to comment on it to make it look like he's doing stuff? Very true that could just be his existence baseline

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I will assuredly be asleep in six hours so I am PREMATURELY saying I will not be here in dl.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What’s wrong with the case? Where’s your case?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

(Phone-posting so this is going to be several shorter posts likely instead of one big one)

I reread merk and there’s a distinct shift in their tone this game day with zeroing in on me vs. yesterday where merk was far more scattershot.

merk posted:

If you're reading self preservation, I think you don't get where I'm at this game. I'm more trying to figure out who I think is scum. I'm not even persuading yet which is usually what I spend the most time doing.

I don’t know whether this post was made D1 foreshadowing the intent to tunnel in on me today or not, but it’s interesting in light of how things have gone today particularly with such a short D2 planned.

I’ve got a slight scum lean on merk right now but am reading back to see if there’s better options. I think I’d still sooner vote chores’ lack of participation (and whatever these weird non-vote votes are this game day) but I’ll see. I also want to reread the players who reacted to the case on me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Oh, and I have no issue if the group would like to extend the deadline, other than to say that I may not be around for deadline tomorrow evening if that’s the move. I can still be around for a good chunk of the day tomorrow to participate.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dick Bastardly posted:

I like merk's case on IS.

Dick Bastardly posted:

You can't tell me that Chores has done anything for town that IS hasn't (which is to say, both aren't doing much).

Dick Bastardly posted:

I agree that IS seems to be playing reactively vice making a push of his own volition and making attempt to convince us of his stance for or against a player or whatever

DB, I’d like you to expand on this. You say in these two posts that I’m both not doing much and am also playing reactively. You also compare my participation as equal to chores. Can you really honestly look at both chores’ and my post histories and believe that both of us are giving the same effort?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I thought Hal had weighed in on my case but he doesn’t appear to have done so yet. I’ll wait to see what he says.

Monathin posted:

I can't dig deep into it right now but on a surface skim it reads cleanly enough. I wasn't getting any hard pings off IS but I'm more than willing to reevaluate in light of this.

I’m also curious to see your thoughts both more in detail on merk’s case of me as well as my response.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
We need to get some votes going. Deadline is in five hours.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

I thought Hal had weighed in on my case but he doesn’t appear to have done so yet. I’ll wait to see what he says.

Ok I read merks case. I thought you were pretty town D1 and merk just quoting a couple posts isn’t really indicative of your play all day that I can see.

I am a little more suspicious of your vote on Fisk near the end of the day. I would have to look at the timing but I thought that came after b and I voted merk so you basically had a choice to make merk or Fisk the leader late in the day and your explanation for why you didn’t vote merk at that point is a bit weak. Obviously that only looks bad if merk eventually flips scum but since he’s still one of my top scum reads I won’t rule out him bussing you today, but I would not want to vote you at this point unless merk flipped scum first

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I will say though that I would expect merk to have killed chores or someone else not doing anything over b- if he were scum

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

We need to get some votes going. Deadline is in five hours.

I’m intrigued by your lack of response to my rebuttal. Were you just pressing buttons to see what happened?

Anyway, my top three for the moment pending replies are:

Chores
merk
———————
wins/DB maybe? Wins hammered yesterday right about the time of deadline which could have been scum jumping onto the hammer which we now know was town, and I want to hear more explanation from DB.

##vote chores

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Oh, hi Hal.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ok I read merks case. I thought you were pretty town D1 and merk just quoting a couple posts isn’t really indicative of your play all day that I can see.

I am a little more suspicious of your vote on Fisk near the end of the day. I would have to look at the timing but I thought that came after b and I voted merk so you basically had a choice to make merk or Fisk the leader late in the day and your explanation for why you didn’t vote merk at that point is a bit weak. Obviously that only looks bad if merk eventually flips scum but since he’s still one of my top scum reads I won’t rule out him bussing you today, but I would not want to vote you at this point unless merk flipped scum first

IllegallySober posted:

If you go to that last post, I quoted the vote count. Top 3 vote leaders at that point were B-minus, merk, and Fisk. I’d just explained I felt good about B and okay about merk and I’d said earlier I’d be fine with voting Fisk, so that’s why I voted there. Obviously Fisk flipped town so I was incorrect, but I did provide justification. I didn’t have a ton of time to restate why in that post as I was admittedly distracted and posting from a restaurant.

My vote brought Fisk into a tie with B-minus I believe at three votes, so you’re somewhat correct on that point. I separated out my comments on that point from my overall reply to merk. I can see how from your perspective that might appear a little weak, but it’s the truth.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Gotta go for a bit but I’ll be back well before deadline.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I will say though that I would expect merk to have killed chores or someone else not doing anything over b- if he were scum

I tricked him

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

I’m intrigued by your lack of response to my rebuttal. Were you just pressing buttons to see what happened?

Anyway, my top three for the moment pending replies are:

Chores
merk
———————
wins/DB maybe? Wins hammered yesterday right about the time of deadline which could have been scum jumping onto the hammer which we now know was town, and I want to hear more explanation from DB.

##vote chores

No, yes, no?, maybe

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Look, bolding is really stressful, but I am voting merk with my words.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

DB, I’d like you to expand on this. You say in these two posts that I’m both not doing much and am also playing reactively. You also compare my participation as equal to chores. Can you really honestly look at both chores’ and my post histories and believe that both of us are giving the same effort?

Work smarter, not harder.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Someone vote merk so I can broken quote post it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Lol ok ##vote merk

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Also I have been way busier than I expected today so I am down with an extension but I should be around for the rest of today after then next hour

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

[quote="Hal Incandenza" post="502302213"]
Lol ok ##vote merk
[/quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

IllegallySober posted:

No, Chores is less active hence my vote.

Not doing much in way of proactive scum hunting