Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

e.martin posted:

I have a couple of episodes of this left to watch. I have gotten so bored with the slow movement of the show. Is it worth finishing?
Ehhhh. The action rose to the level of the first 2 episodes but I no longer cared about anything.

There's a massive structural issue with the mystery being solved in episode 4 followed by weeks of car rides and denial about the monster we know exists. This would be a possibly great ~6 ep series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pahuyuth posted:

Worse than First Person Shooter
better than the Scully Tattoo episode

Actually I dont know as I havent seen the finale yet but the season has been pretty disappointing

I'm sorry, nothing in this show is better than this

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
he stabbed his pocket knife through its hand, into solid rock

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I don't understand the credits. Holly was no where near the thing to be touched? And it was a fresh scratch? poo poo house way to finish :butt:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Wasn’t Holly’s hair moving kinda weird in that after-credits? Like it was footage played in reverse?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
What happened to Jason Bateman's character? Was he prison shanked at some point or was he still around to be exonerated?

Why were we introduced to a rainman character only to have her powers mean nothing in the end?

The first two episodes showed such promise.

That post-credits scene was loving laughable.

Who gave the greenlight to blow millions on this Supernatural-level schlock? I feel like I'm owed an apology.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

What happened to Jason Bateman's character? Was he prison shanked at some point or was he still around to be exonerated?

Why were we introduced to a rainman character only to have her powers mean nothing in the end?

Who gave the greenlight to blow millions on this Supernatural-level schlock? I feel like I'm owed an apology.

You clearly werent paying attention at all if you dont know what happened to Bateman, so your critique is pretty weak.

yeah that rhymes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

What happened to Jason Bateman's character?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha holy poo poo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If anything, I paid too much attention.

I was expecting medium-rare steak but instead HBO served a McDonald's hamburger patty with a squirt of ketchup.

I simply wasn't onboard with a big-budget remake of Supernatural. I haven't seen a show dip so drastically in quality since Game of Thrones, but collapsed into a single season.

e: \/ \/ Then why was it never mentioned again? A: Sloppy writing.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 10, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You paid so much attention that you missed the climactic scene of one of the episodes you praised.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

e: \/ \/ Then why was it never mentioned again? A: Sloppy writing.

Oh my loving god, what do you think his wife was so pissed off about? Why was she suing the police? How are you this bad at watching television?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is some first ballot HoF TVIV posting right here. Just a generational talent.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t even know how it would be physically possible to miss Jason Bateman dying even if you were like, distracted the whole time.

Then Following it up with “I paid too much attention” Hahaha I love this

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If Stephen King didn't write it sober then I'm under no obligation to view it sober.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well he's got us there

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Not rewatching but didn't ep 2 fade to black while the doctor was still working on him? It's not ambiguous from the beginning of three on but I remember being surprised he was dead in EP 3.

I'm probably telling on myself here

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Overall, I really enjoyed this but the ending is so typical Stephen King that I was sure it was new enough he wasn't still ending poo poo like this.

But, he is.

B+ characters and mythos, C- finale.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I haven't read the book but you guys know he didn't write the series right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Not rewatching but didn't ep 2 fade to black while the doctor was still working on him? It's not ambiguous from the beginning of three on but I remember being surprised he was dead in EP 3.

I'm probably telling on myself here

Yeah episode 2 kind of leaves it up in the air whether he lives or dies, but it's made clear at the beginning of episode 3 and his death is referenced in pretty much every episode after that, often multiple times.

I like the idea that he lived and they just never showed him again for some reason. He's just sitting in jail the whole time lol.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Who’s Terry?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Who’s Terry?

If you looking for child corpse

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah episode 2 kind of leaves it up in the air whether he lives or dies, but it's made clear at the beginning of episode 3 and his death is referenced in pretty much every episode after that, often multiple times.

I like the idea that he lived and they just never showed him again for some reason. He's just sitting in jail the whole time lol.

Remember the whole part where they have to get permission to go to Terry's loving grave to take pics and that's how they make the barn connection. His grave!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Terry Maitland died on the way back to his home planet.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The 'Whose Terry' and the potential for a switcharoo were too planted to not mean anything. But were they already planning a season 2 while filming season 1 of a book that has no sequel?

I kept expecting to hear some offhand remark about Claude disappearing, because it's not like Kaley el Cuco stays in one form permanently and now there's only one 'Claude'.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

I haven't read the book but you guys know he didn't write the series right?

He wrote the book. This show was based on the book. Looks like the endings are virtually the same.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

The 'Whose Terry' and the potential for a switcharoo were too planted to not mean anything. But were they already planning a season 2 while filming season 1 of a book that has no sequel?

I kept expecting to hear some offhand remark about Claude disappearing, because it's not like Kaley el Cuco stays in one form permanently and now there's only one 'Claude'.

I was absolutely shocked they never even attempted a switcheroo at any point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought it might have switched to someone at the fair hence why we were getting so much screen time on that family but nope turns out that was just a waste of time

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

CODChimera posted:

that was just a waste of time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

this Supernatural-level schlock?

Supernatural is way better than this show.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I dunno, we never really got a long form meditation on the effects of Spriggan on the community, you dig?

It would actually own to get a couple of actors from this and do a tight 5 minute alt cut where Sam and Dean casually roll in and punch El Coocoo to death.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Overall I enjoyed this. The plot was ultimately poo poo, but Stephen King is a dismal hack and you shouldn't expect anything else. The characters were good and it was nicely moody. It's a shame it wasn't better, but for what it was it was well executed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so just finished episode 4 and this is my speculation on where the rest of the series is going

the killer is some sort of shapeshifting creature
- it can gain the appearance of someone using their DNA/blood but it takes a long time to change into that person (timelapse between getting Terry's DNA in the nursing home in Dayton and framing him for the murder of Frankie Peterson) and it can only maintain the appearance for a short time (Jessa saying its face was degrading over time, also the old-person fingerprints on the belt buckle in the barn)
- initially I thought it was going to be someone who was really good at makeup/prosthetics and was just impersonating people but Heath the nurse had a whole breakfast date and then actual sex with shapeshifter-as-bartender-lady and there's a limit to how good prosthetics can be, plus with it being a King story I was always kinda expecting the explanation to be at least a bit weird if not openly supernatural
- it can mind control people by applying its weird liquid stuff (that the lab couldn't identify) to the back of their necks which causes the burn-looking marks (possibly making a connection with the spinal cord which is how it can communicate with them?) it gains some sort of strength or power by doing this (the legend about el Cuco feeding on grief)
- it controls the murder victims' families so it can cause as much suffering as possible (sending their relatives out to kill for revenge) but it's also controlling rear end in a top hat hunting cop so he can bring it meat to eat (possibly it eats meat to survive day-to-day and then needs its power gained through grief for the next transformation) and also DIY equipment (honestly no idea)
- once it has no more use for people it kills them by provoking a heart attack (and apparently no-one notices the huge burns on the back of the neck so I guess they fade away once the connection is gone?)

now time to marathon the other 6 episodes and see how far off base I am

agreed that Holly Gibney is far and away the best part of this and I would watch the hell out of a series/anthology based around her

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
You're probably better off just quitting while you're ahead.

Use your imagination to fill in the rest. It will automatically surpass the gloomy car-talk show it spins off into becoming.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really like the mythos of the monsters. I’d be down with this becoming an anthology series based on boogiemen. Just have Gibney going around solving mysteries.

I’m not down with another 10 episodes of this storyline.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did somebody say car talk?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

so just finished episode 4 and this is my speculation on where the rest of the series is going

the killer is some sort of shapeshifting creature
- it can gain the appearance of someone using their DNA/blood but it takes a long time to change into that person (timelapse between getting Terry's DNA in the nursing home in Dayton and framing him for the murder of Frankie Peterson) and it can only maintain the appearance for a short time (Jessa saying its face was degrading over time, also the old-person fingerprints on the belt buckle in the barn)
- initially I thought it was going to be someone who was really good at makeup/prosthetics and was just impersonating people but Heath the nurse had a whole breakfast date and then actual sex with shapeshifter-as-bartender-lady and there's a limit to how good prosthetics can be, plus with it being a King story I was always kinda expecting the explanation to be at least a bit weird if not openly supernatural
- it can mind control people by applying its weird liquid stuff (that the lab couldn't identify) to the back of their necks which causes the burn-looking marks (possibly making a connection with the spinal cord which is how it can communicate with them?) it gains some sort of strength or power by doing this (the legend about el Cuco feeding on grief)
- it controls the murder victims' families so it can cause as much suffering as possible (sending their relatives out to kill for revenge) but it's also controlling rear end in a top hat hunting cop so he can bring it meat to eat (possibly it eats meat to survive day-to-day and then needs its power gained through grief for the next transformation) and also DIY equipment (honestly no idea)
- once it has no more use for people it kills them by provoking a heart attack (and apparently no-one notices the huge burns on the back of the neck so I guess they fade away once the connection is gone?)

now time to marathon the other 6 episodes and see how far off base I am

agreed that Holly Gibney is far and away the best part of this and I would watch the hell out of a series/anthology based around her

You thought about this more than the writers did.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
why did it make the cop bring it like lamps and stuff and throw them in the woods

night slime
May 14, 2014

Riptor posted:

why did it make the cop bring it like lamps and stuff and throw them in the woods

Resale gouging after the corona extinction event

I support the guy who didn't notice Jason Bateman died, I wish I paid that little attention to the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was paying attention and I didn't realize Michael Bluth was dead until about 10 minutes into the next episode.

The ending of that episode where he gets killed was a little ambiguous and then you also don't expect, up until then, was one of the stars of the show to die half way through the season. And yeah, I need poo poo spelled out for me. Also I learned from Game of Thrones that if they don't say specifically, 'that guy dead' then they're probably not dead.