Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
A trivia contest you say?! 54 HOURS STRAIGHT YOU SAY?

RAID ON TRIVIA 51
EXPERIMENT IN TRIVIA!

Old Logo:

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 17, 18, and 19! October 23, 24 and 25!

IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
APRIL 3 - 1am EDT (Late Friday Night) - TRIVIA MOVIE SCREENING (there are usually 5-10 questions about the movie during the contest)
OCTOBER 15 (TBD???) - 3-6pm EDT - PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGINS! (scroll down to read more about this part - we need more people to join earlier for this!)
OCTOBER 23 - 7pm EDT - CONTEST BEGINS.
OCTOBER 24 - 1am EDT - CONTEST PAUSED.
OCTOBER 24 - 9am EDT - CONTEST RESUMES.
OCTOBER 24 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK (TBD???)
OCTOBER 25 - 1am EDT - CONTEST PAUSED.
OCTOBER 25 - 9am EDT - CONTEST RESUMES.
OCTOBER 25 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK (TBD???)
OCTOBER 26 - 1am EDT - CONTEST ENDS. (Late Monday Morning)
OCTOBER 26 - POST-1am EDT - We find out results (this is somewhat variable)

Our Logo (2020)

Our old 2020 logo

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 7 straight years, (and Top 3 for 3 years in a row now) which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that didn't exist before 2011.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked Top 50.

Tell Me More! :allears:

For the last 51 years Stevens Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest.
There are over 350 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.

• Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song.
  • You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time.
  • Occasionally there is a speed round which is 10 questions. (Generally twice per contest)
  • There will be 2 shorter rounds (4 questions generally) with a 30 minute break near the halfway points of each day (7pm Saturday and Sunday EST)

:siren: PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT :siren:
We will get 30 grainy, sometimes blurry, sometimes photoshopped, black and white pictures that we need to identify as much as possible.
These can range from random hot sauce labels, inner sleeves of record albums, random board games, random people/celebrities, old sports stars, etc.
This part is EXTREMELY difficult. This begins on OCTOBER 15 ???. We have until the question about that picture is asked to answer it (so nearly a full week).
Sometimes these questions are worth hundreds of points - THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Getting 1 or 2 more of these pictures than other teams can be the difference between 3rd and 7th place in recent years!

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:
Here's a list of things we need:
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC ---> THIS IS SUPER VALUABLE! If your WPM is over 120 PLEASE come help us out!
  • IRC We have a channel on synirc.net
  • Mumble We re-stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Non-Americans are VERY welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores: You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • On the ground Goons: We have a group of goons in that run the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point. (Yes this contest also has LITERAL scavenger hunts in real life DURING the competition)
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed) "In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"
  • Also we will get 3 snippets of 8 songs each to identify. These are sometimes easy, sometimes hard as gently caress. The snippets of each song are at most 1-2 seconds. if you have an ear for this sort of thing, we can use your help!

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

:siren: Our Results: :siren:
2011: Trivial Fursuit - 33rd place
2012: Trivial Fursuit: 2 Fat 2 Furriest - 14th place
2013: Trivial Fursuit: Tokyo Yiff'd - 8th place
2014: Trivial Fursuit: Watch Walker Wreck - 7th place
2015: Trivial Fursuit: Awful Mix Vol. 5 - 4th place
2016: Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts - 6th place
2017: Trivial Fursuit: Furple Reign - 3rd place
2018: Trivial Fursuit: Miner Threat - 3rd place
2019: Trivial Fursuit 9: Howlin' Haoeles - 3rd place

For those with archives...
Trivia 42 (2011) thread
Trivia 43 (2012) thread
Trivia 44 (2013) thread
Trivia 45 (2014) thread
Trivia 46 (2015) thread
Trivia 47 (2016) thread
Trivia 48 (2017) thread
Trivia 49 (2018) thread
Trivia 50 (2019) thread

As you can see we have (almost always) improved steadily with each year, with our best years being the last 3, when we placed in THIRD out of over 350 teams, giving us our THIRD straight top 3 finish.

FAQ: :psyduck:

How the gently caress do I participate?
Follow the guide in the next post

What is our team name this year?
Undetermined currently. Please suggest options. (Maximum 36 characters, including spaces and punctuation)
Here are a few options in no particular order:
  • Trivial Fursuit X: Gon Yiff it to Ya
  • Trivial Fursuit:Fate of the Furriest
  • Trivial Fursuit X marks the spot
  • Trivial Fursuit: Beam me up, Portesi
  • Trivial Fursuit X: TF Foam Home
  • Trivial Fursuit: eXtra Furrestrial
  • Trivial Fursuit X: Oz's Black Hole
  • Trivial Fursuit X: XXtra Furrestrial

We more than welcome other suggestions for team names!

It's February (or March), what should I do right now?
Come drop into IRC (details on the next post) and say hi, we can tell you a little more or answer just about any question you have.
Due to the rules of the contest we cannot share most information in a public setting but in IRC we can tell you a lot more so you can get a feel for it!

Where the gently caress do I order my shirt?

my cat is norris posted:

:siren: I HEAR YOU'D LIKE TO ORDER T-SHIRTS? :siren:

Click the above logo to fill out and submit the order form for this year's team t-shirts!

:siren: ORDERS ARE NOW CLOSED AS OF MARCH 7TH! :siren:

More details here!

Can I see some sample questions?

Athanatos posted:

This sounds weird but is actually kinda cool. Give it a shot when the day comes.

Some sample questions:

During a TV campaign for the frozen dinners of Marie Callendar, the claim was made that every recipe started the same way. According to that campaign, how did the recipe start?

This product has the registered autograph and logo of a legendary athlete as well as many pictures of this athlete in action on containers. What is the complete name of this product?

Early in the years of television videos, there was a motivational one called "No fool like a fool playin' hooky." What is the last name of the teacher featured in that video?

What kind of music is played in between questions?

Here are some Spotify playlists you can check out!

quote:

Trivia 44 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 45 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 46 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 47 Playlist (thanks, TotalNewbie!)

Trivia 48 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 49 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 50 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CONTEST
There was a decent write up done in 2017 and our team was featured in it.
https://theoutline.com/post/1469/stevens-point-worlds-biggest-trivia-contest

Including a "documentary" video in which we are also featured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IyBRXaUls
Start at 9:45 if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing

There was also a movie made over 10 years ago about the contest called Triviatown
We usually do a yearly (online) screening of this film the Friday night 7 days before the contest starts. April 10. It's a tradition. This year is weird.

This sounds stupid and complicated I don't want to do it
Give it 15 minutes of your time and then decide. There are tons of people involved in this contest and so many different areas of it, we have players of all sorts, from 18 through 65+ participating.
The contest is hectic, and fun, even if you're just sitting around watching the organized chaos unfold. Sometimes there might be a question about a cereal box we're stumped on but it happens to be in your pantry. Who knows!
We have goons from New Zealand, Sweden, all across the Americas, Britain, Finland, Denmark, Japan. We are all over the place!
Give us a fair shake and see how you like it.

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

:siren: How To Join Us In IRC (TL;DR at bottom) :siren:

What the hell is IRC and what do I do?

So the channel is #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net. To connect to these you will need an irc client. Popular ones are mibbit, hexchat, mIRC and irssi.

Mibbit is web based and as such the easiest one to get started with. The other ones require an installation. This guide will focus mostly on mibbit but the instructions are somewhat universal.

If you're okay with using mibbit, all you need to do is click here and pick a nickname.

For other clients, open it up, type in /connect irc.synirc.net, type in /nick YOUR_NICKNAME_HERE (you can pick your name here) and then type in /join #tplobby and you should be in.

I've joined but there's no contest going on. What the hell?

Once you're here (#tplobby) it might take a little while for people to respond, especially if you want to join during the middle of the contest is going on. This is because we're busy trying to win.
However, within a minute (last year this was generally within 15-30 seconds, not minutes) someone with OP (operator) status will talk to you. In the meantime, you can register your nick on the server.

Registering is pretty simple. Type in /msg NickServ register YOUR_PASSWORD YOUR_EMAIL
You will then get an email with a command to put type into IRC. Do that and you're registered!

note that the email ended up in my spam folder, so check there

Note: the next time you open up IRC and pick this nickname you will have to log in or the server will change your name. To do this you simply type in /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD

On both of these commands it's important you don't have an empty space or whatever at the start or it or you'll post your entire message openly for everyone to see.
Make sure NOTHING but what I've put in italics above is in the message as you press enter or people might steal your password or whatever

Okay, so I'm registered and stuff. How do I join in the fun?

At this point you'll hopefully have been contacted by an OP in #tplobby (you can tell who's an op by what symbol they have before or after their name, these differ between clients, though. Mibbit has custom icons and others usually have an @ or a & before their name to show it.)

They will ask you to identify yourself with your SA user name and potentially by putting something in your profile.
They will then add you to a list of trusted users if all of the above has been done correctly and send you to another channel, where the actual contest is happening.
If after this point you get disconnected you will be able to join the real channel immediately and just log in with /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD and skip all the other steps above.

If there are any questions or confusion, feel free to ask one of the ops in #tplobby for help. We'll try to have someone semi active in there as often as possible until the contest ends. If you have time to spare it's really helpful for everyone involved to register ahead of time.

TL;DR if you know sort of how to irc
Join #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net.
Register your nick with nickserv.
Talk to an operator in #tplobby.
Or just click here.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
:getin: nerds we're doin' trivia

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

BEST TIME OF YEAR.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Posting in the thread, join Trivia you nerds.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trivial Fursuit: Yobs and Paw
Trivial Fursuit: DARPA Decennial

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
TRIVIA!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You don't know jack: The lost gold.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Maybe I won't be in Mexico this year!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trivia is my friend and I like him very much.

Trivial Fursuit X-Files
Trivial Fursuit X-Filets

NFX fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 17, 2020

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you're lurking the thread and you're nervous about joining, jump in anyway! We always need more people during the week before trivia to help us hunt down obscure pictures or take notes on a movie.

If you can be online during the late late night hours (for US time zones) then you'll be welcomed as a god.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I emerge now from my three year posting hiatus to get hype for trivia!

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Yes hello I have heard the call for TRIVIA!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Please everyone post your team name suggestions

Trivial Fursuit: Knives Out 4 Portesi

Trivial Fursuit: Rump 2020

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This will be my third year "participating" - here's hoping third times a charm and I finally find my first correct answer before someone beats me to it.

It is still a lot of fun though even as a relatively useless spectator.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This will be my third year "participating" - here's hoping third times a charm and I finally find my first correct answer before someone beats me to it.

My contribution to the team has never once included a solo answer. I am the Loudness Ambassador to Stevens Point, and will take you to the best places to get dinner and midnight waffles.

EDIT: We need to drag people out to the supper club one night to go and get Old Fashioneds and poo poo

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

rawillkill posted:

• Trivial Fursuit X: Gon Yiff it to Ya
  • Trivial Fursuit: Beam me up, Portesi
  • Trivial Fursuit X: TF Foam Home
  • Trivial Fursuit X: Oz's Black Hole

I like all of these.

My weak contributions are
Trivial Fursuit X: Natural Intelligence
Trivial Fursuit X: Peppa Pig Gets an Anal Probe

Current mood:

vibur fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 17, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
:woop: time for trivia again!

I liked it so much I decided to travel all the way to Steven's Point Wisconsin for the contest for the last few years running. It's a super chill time full of walks to Belt's to get soft serve ice cream and being snowed in by 30 inches over the weekend. Oh, Wisconsin/Midwest weather and climate change - ya never know what you're gonna get!

Anyway, we rent a really great house a block off campus (and two blocks from the radio station) and have a grand old time just hanging out, listening to trivia, and generally being drunk for the weekend. We have 10 people going this year and can realistically hold a couple more. If you're interested, send me a message on IRC, discord, or SA. (It will help if you're willing to bring an air mattress and potentially sleep in a slightly colder room.)

Especially for newcomers, realize that there are a lot of different roles to fill and we need all the eyes we can get. Everyone has their strengths, including YOU, and you can and will contribute. And, if you happen to stumble upon an answer other people didn't, that is HUGE. Those answers are the ones that separate the top teams from each other and every one counts.

Worst case, you get your very own meme.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Already booked the time off from work.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

This is a post. This is good.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am an idiot and didn't put it on my calendar right away so I've already made plans that weekend to hangout with a friend at a yearly local gaming shindig. WITH THAT SAID I hope to play some of the hours and also contribute very little to the pre-trivia picture answering.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
XXtra Furrestrial is incredible. can't wait

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am an idiot and didn't put it on my calendar right away so I've already made plans that weekend to hangout with a friend at a yearly local gaming shindig. WITH THAT SAID I hope to play some of the hours and also contribute very little to the pre-trivia picture answering.

April 16, 17, 18 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My vote, given the existing suggestions, is Trivial Fursuit X: Oz's Black Hole

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

totalnewbie posted:

Especially for newcomers, realize that there are a lot of different roles to fill and we need all the eyes we can get. Everyone has their strengths, including YOU, and you can and will contribute. And, if you happen to stumble upon an answer other people didn't, that is HUGE. Those answers are the ones that separate the top teams from each other and every one counts.

Gonna piggyback off this to kick off the annual TF bounty. A bunch of us chip in to a pot every year, which goes to whoever can answer a question for our team worth 500 points (meaning we're the only team to get it right.) Since we've never been able to actually get one, the bounty is known to get pretty drat large, breaking $1000 for the last 2 years. Just consider it a little bonus for playing, you never know what you might find in your basement closet.

I'm chipping in my usual amount, so the 2020 bounty is currently at $50.

Blackajack fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 17, 2020

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Extra points should be given to names that are difficult to read and pronounce.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Yay it's back! I had a lot of fun the last couple of times, even though I helped with like 3 questions max (Seriously some of you goons are freakishly fast) and mostly lurk in the channel.

Also, posting Angelcam

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wa27 posted:

My vote, given the existing suggestions, is Trivial Fursuit X: Oz's Black Hole

This is good.

I'm ruminating on trying to come up with something funny related to Men In Black but nothing has struck me yet.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Going through what is being spammed in chat and verifying answers is just, if not more, helpful than being the first to answer something. There's been many times that everyone is convinced of one correct answer but we missed a detail in the question. Or we have someone who posts "hey I think it's actually this" but it doesn't get noticed in time.

Also, if you're early morning crew odds are you will have a better chance to get an answer in. 3-9am are generally our weakest hours.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I have one speed dial set on my phone, and that's last year's trivia answer hotline. Shoutout to my fellow phone crew warriors!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This year I'm doing the thing and learning from past mistakes -- Monday off. :getin:

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

Trivia calls. Will you pick up the foam?

:getin: nerds, let's DO THIS

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

H2SO4 posted:

I have one speed dial set on my phone, and that's last year's trivia answer hotline. Shoutout to my fellow phone crew warriors!

:phone::hf::phoneb:

Here's a timeline Athanatos wrote years ago for a typical trivia question and it's perfect

"Athanatos posted:

*A Trivia Question Timeline*

Question is read over the radio.
In Episode 4 of Two Broke Girls, what toppings does the big boobed one put on the 3rd cupcake.
The announcer has the biggest mush mouth ever.
You hear: In epi-- fer of toobrokegirl what is the -f---sa cupcake top---vw-
Herpity somehow has the question already typed fully into irc about 1/10th of a second later
You start googling. IMDB, script searcher, youtube, bing, yahoo, fan boards, the TVIV thread
You cant find poo poo
Some song is playing, you wonder how long is this song
Hey it's pretty good song
You sing a bar
oh poo poo this is trivia I gotta find this thing
Click back to IRC, links posted people searching things
Lots of guesses
Wait I know the 2 Broke Girls fan myspace page*
Song is over, question being read again, next song starts
myspace page cache loads, it's somewhere in a block of text about the show 60000 words long
ctrl+f cupcake
Hey THIS song is good too, how do they choose these?!
oh poo poo right not much time
Hey there it is...Bacon
Click back to IRC
Spam Bacon 30 times because you are pumped.
4 other people spamming bacon
Someone confirms Bacon
Rawillkill lets the phone bank know to Call Bacon
5 people try to call in
busy
Time running out, 2nd song almost over
bust signal
busy signal
loving Pick UP
busy signal
Goon gets through
You hope every other caller sees and hangs up
Dont double answer ohhh fuckk...come on
Answer in.
Song Ends.
Mush Mouth calls phones down.
Answer: BACON
IRC explodes excitement
That was pretty easy to find probably not very many points
oh poo poo they are reading the next question no time to rest

*Repeat that non-stop all weekend*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
TfX: Close Encounters of the fur'd kind

Is this Oz's last year? I can't remember his full retirement plans since it sounded like he was planning to ease out over time

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Glumslinger posted:

TfX: Close Encounters of the fur'd kind

Is this Oz's last year? I can't remember his full retirement plans since it sounded like he was planning to ease out over time

Not his last year but the first year he's officially phasing in the new guy. IIRC he said something like a 5 year transition but I can see it going much more quickly.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
trivya's the best

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oz's Black Hole

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Someone else came up with this one but I think it's my favorite so far:

Trivial Fursuit: Fat Asstra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Hell yeah, it's that time of the year already!