Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Microsoft once forgot to renew the registration for hotmail.com. Countless services forgot to renew SSL certificates. Evidence of fallen DNS servers manifest in myriad ways. OVH burned half of an entire data center. Domestic terrorists attempted to destroy an AWS AZ. Lightning storms damaged an Azure data center.

Disaster prevention is good, but disaster recovery is a must.

Truck drivers take out data centers by going into diabetic shock: https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2007/11/13/truck-crash-knocks-rackspace-offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just thinking about that time I pissed off the gentoo foundation with mod_proxy, mod_substitute, and a little regex

rip tardix.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20080517051235/http://tardix.org/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

go spend $30 on a UV-6R and you’ll be hooked

those harmonics tho

baofeng go brrrr

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hit counters

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

client side?

aren't those called tables?

edit: gently caress, clearly I forgot

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

motherfuckin cgi-bin

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

:cry:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

would u gently caress a font

only wingdings

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

eschaton posted:

lol what the gently caress is this my comrade there’s always a server even just to serve the HTML and CSS and JavaScript and poo poo to the client

absolute dumbest argument i've heard someone seriously try to use was that serverless meant you no longer had to "write a server", as in you no longer needed to daemonize a process

...yeah.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

channel surfing

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

those faux wood jerrold cable boxes with a toggle switch per channel

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

my dad getting pissed that the cable box with a remote was more expensive so he just bought two big hunks of coax cable and relocated the cable box to the side table next to his chair

my dad just yelled for my sister or I to come change the channel

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

the cable company used to charge you based on how many jacks were 'active' in the house. anyone with a brain just told them 'one' and split it themselves

turns out this is *really* easy to gently caress up. we got a visit from the fcc/faa over my teenage cable hack job interfering with aircraft on an approach path over our house

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

How the gently caress does your cable TV interfere with aircraft

turns out aviation radio uses vhf at the same frequencies as analog cable used for channels 14/15/16. if you have lots of un-terminated cable ends in your house, you spew rf all across those frequencies (and many others)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Unterminated cable ends jizzing EM radiation sounds to the level that it would interfere with aircraft sounds like bullshit, but I don't know enough to refute it

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cable-signal-leakage

seems like it would be the cable operator instead of the fcc showing up today, but in the 90s it was an fcc enforcement van that rolled up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pepsi world

pepsi had games and chat in like 1996

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

i am shocked at how insanely low quality 'HD' broadcast tv still is, the 5 seconds a year i accidentally flip to it. it's like 720p at an insanely small bitrate with massive compression artefacts. i have clients with video ads embedded on the website, they would be blasting me all day if their ads looked as bad as broadcast 'HD' tv does

but by compressing the gently caress out of the signal, you can cram in a dozen content-free subchannels!

hopefully things get better with atsc 3.0, but not gonna hold my breath

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ebdic

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

my sister's cat hates everyone else (apart from my sister and her husband) but loves me because i'm cool

e: actually it's more it runs away from everyone else

my late cat louis was the most loving attention whore of a cat i've ever see. had a bunch of goons over to my place for a party and he was in love with everyone.

everyone except Uppity Catamite (no clue what his username is now). louis kept going straight for the guy trying to bite and attack him. only time i'd ever seen the little dude get aggressive

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

scsi scanners

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

having to give a gently caress about disk geometry

bad blocks labels

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sorta works in wine. little guy can't land on any windows so hit just chills at the bottom of the screen

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

this, but goatse

i was a real rear end in a top hat as a young adult

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

TabWorks

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

google nexus q

not sure if it was ahead of its time or just marketed wrong, but alexa devices show it wasn't a crazy idea for a device

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

google i/o giving out several hundred dollars in devices to each attendee each year

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

13W3

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Pick, named after one of its developers, Dick Pick.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'd kill for a new top-down gta style game on a modern engine.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't 3 have a top-down mode still?

it was an insanely janky afterthought. i think it was intended more as an easter egg than something to actually be played -- they even removed it from the definitive edition.

edit: also, gta 3 is old enough to drink.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

both the top down gtas were fun yeah, i just enjoyed 2 more and THE LIGHTING EFFECTS AT THE TIME W O W :eyepop:

chinatown wars isn't bad and it's designed top down, if you haven't tried it. funnest way to escape the cops in the series as well, that being you destroy a shitton of their cars chasing you and they gently caress off

haven't played it, but i'll have to come up with a decent phone controller and try it out. still not exactly modern though.

edit: i guess this is the wrong thread to be in asking for modern poo poo tho

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

simcopter was the best streets of sim city

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

The truly absurd amount of backwards compatibility in x86, and every attempt to break from this architecture in the desktop and server world ending in disaster.

Archos and others briefly attempting to use RISC in the mobile and tablet space, before just using ARM like everyone else.

wasn't archos running mips just like everyone else did before arm? i had a 64-bit mips windows ce device in like 2002.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_BE-300
https://phonedb.net/index.php?m=processor&id=56&c=nec_vr4131

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i ran win2k off of a pcmcia/cf adapter and it was loving awesome

i've put a bunch of cf cards in arcade machines that had failed ide hard drives. it's nice that cf is mostly electrically just ide.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ibm microdrive. lulz.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that tracks. i remember in the late 90s/early 2000s there was some 3rd party utility that would replace the win98 explorer with the win95 explorer because it was a lot slimmer

did 486-class machines even have DMA or were they limited to PIO? i cannot recall. a fast enough HDD could probably saturate a 486

you could use progman as a shell through win98.

dma was a thing in 386 even.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

no i meant like take a dustbuster or some canned air to it.

twice now you've accused them of stealing poo poo from the tower. if you don't need dust, you don't take dust. jesus you greedy gently caress.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

doing drugs at startups. (and drugs hurting a lot less)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my last optical drive was a bluray drive in 2011. it was $5 and i used it to rip movies until i got lazy and set up a usenet pipeline for media