Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lessail posted:

Rip maf you were fun to watch

As a pens fan I completely understand the sentiment. I'm glad he had a career renaissance for a few seasons but that extension was a huuuuuge loving mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It seems like the caps network is playing an NHL 20 version of Caps v Blues
https://twitter.com/Adam_Zielonka/status/1242588321521586186?s=20

It's insane

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

In this case, yeah, I agree. I meant it more in response to whether or not a team/the league has a general bright line test for moral behavior. If we can replace the player with someone else and assume the response would be wildly different, then the answer is no (as you said).

Voynov is maybe the closest example we can get of a valuable player being ejected for his off-the-ice behavior, and even then the next question is: what if he was North American?

There's some sort of threshold of goals-scored to offense at play here. For instance, if you've scored 14 goals in a season you can still play (and get a new contract) even with domestic assault charges.
Leipsic tops out at 5 so misogynistic comments are enough to get rid of him.

Then you've got guys like Hoffman and that's a whole different metric I guess.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I remember when people argued Jonathan Toews was better than Crosby

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

Datsyuk was better than Crosby for a brief period from 08-09

Prime Datsyuk is right up there with prime Sedins in terms of... just super fuckin' fun to watch players

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

Remember when Joe Sakic hurt his hand in a snow blower?

My favorite will always be Sami Salo missing two games after being bitten by a venomous snake

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How the hell did the wings close out with a negative 3 digit goal differential. If any team should be relegated...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

After this they'd probably all prefer it.

Getting paid millions without having to deal with media or road (and home) team fans sounds like a pretty sweet deal

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1263844953391681536

Hell ya 3v3 travelling hockey sideshow featuring the ghost of your worst draft picks is gonna rule.

Only six skaters a team huh
You'll need at least two punchmen then to keep your 4 stars safe at all times

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If a team wanted an easy-in they should've played better during the season instead of relying on the usual hosed up seeding to match them up with a scrub team barely inching in

Plus league parity now means that even scrub teams have players like Panarin or Dubois/Seth Jones/Werenski so nothing's a wash like it was in the early 00s anymore, and personally I think that's rad

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So which is the first team to get ravaged by Covid
Nothing like watching some sports heroes get destroyed by it to teach people to take that poo poo seriously, I suppose

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Penguins, obviously

Has the shaman run out of Beau Bennett Bone Juice already?
gently caress

We need another offering

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

lmao at seeing everything that has happened and believing a positive player test would shut this down. maybe a player death. the sports steamroller is coming to town and gosh dang it we are gonna get our sports no matter what it takes

Can it start with Steve Downie

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus was skating a mostly minor league roster when the world shut down, so it'll be them and they'll skate a fully minor league roster.

So long as Cam Atkinson exists and Dubinsky is off wherever he is, I will still slightly fear the jackets

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If the Pens win then they are a dynasty

if the Hawks win hockey is a trash sport and it deserves to be destroyed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Who thinks the Hawks will make it out of the first round? I kind of want to toxx.

Only if Hossa spontaneously recovers from his allergy while Seabrook simultaneously comes down with it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pungry posted:

Bad news, Marian Hossa is now on the Arizona Coyotes.

Well poo poo, that ruins the joke

Coyotes all-time with Datsyuk, Pronger, and Hossa sure is something though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's weird and kinda cool to think Ovi has won the Richard in 9 of his 15 active seasons.
Jesus christ, man. Leave some goals for the rest of the league.

e: Just checked and in terms of league leading goal scorers by seasons, Ovi's 9 is top all time.
The next closest in Bobby Hull with 7 and and Phil Esposito with 6.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 28, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

I think people will start to come around on Malkin, but the Toews hype took off with the Hawks' second cup, which is also the year Malkin started missing 20 games a year due to injury, for six years, before playing a full-ish 78 games in 17-18 and returning to highest regards. Having 15, 50, and 9 goals in consecutive seasons is an interesting statline.

I never actually watched Forsberg in his prime but it seems like he's a pretty fair comparable. Malkin is slightly less consistently broken but he's got the ability to be one of the all-time greats it's just his broken body holding him back.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

It's funny, because even if you compare Malkin to Forsberg and Bure, Malkin has more games played than both of those guys by over 200. That's a considerable amount. He also has a good chance of actually hitting 500 goals, and he's already hit 1000 points.

However, those guys had a few complete seasons sprinkled in to show what they could do. Malkin has only had 2 in the last 11 seasons. His third season was in 08-09, so it's easy to kind of overlook him, I think.

Yeah, he doesn't really have any noticeable pattern to his injuries either. It's not like he's got a bum knee or hips or anything that he's constantly tweaking.
He just gets banged up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bewbies posted:

the big difference is that malkin, unlike forsberg, is a stupid rear end punk

It's fair to say he has a certain way about him when he gets pissed off but he's no Kris Letang or Tom Wilson-type

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this poster gets it

bewbies posted:

if only ovie got to play in a time when everyone smoked cigarettes and you were lucky if your team hadn't traded your massage table away, then the record would be his for sure

If Ovie played in such a time he'd be a pack of smokes/six-pack of macrobrew a-day himself

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

He's sorta like a Jack Johnson-lite, all the physical gifts but none of the hockey sense. From the one AHL game I saw him in this year, his defensive reads were OK, he completely dominated in 1-on-1 battles, but he would burn three guys in the neutral zone and end up lost. I don't recall him at all in the offensive zone except dumping it on after gaining the zone by shrugging off a dude who he had half a foot and 50 pounds on.

I don't know that Jack Johnson has "physical gifts"
He's big and has been healthy but he's also one of the slowest goddamned skaters I've seen since Rob Scuderi

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s either Malkin or Letang, 1000%

I was thinking team leading goal-scorer Bryan Rust

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I think it's entirely possibly to appreciate the gravity of what is occurring in this world right now and also enjoy sports at the same time.

I think it's a silly risk that the leagues are taking trying to start back up, but I am excited to watch sports again.

I'm pretty sure given the dearth of any other "new" entertainment that they'll make gangbusters for ratings. It's nothing compared to concession/venue profits I suppose but gotta plug up those profit projections somehow.

I just hope whoever wins the covid cup doesn't pass it around to drink from it because that would be hilariously stupid during a pandemic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

All those pictures are a local guy dressed up pretending to be a fictional character to generate happiness for kids. Just like Santa Claus.

Also, putting in a picture of him scoring on the Flyers hurts.

The historical archive of Flyers' goalie pictures where they're not being scored on is probably pretty small

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah, Fox's short-lived successor to the glowpuck.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Searching with the criteria of games played > 500 and an ascending PPG gives you a real who's who of punchmen.

Erik Gudbranson is the worst still active, and this is certainly no surprise to anyone who has watched him play.
I don't really know who or what Stu Grimson was but he seems like statistically the worst player to hit the 700+ plateau, Jim McKenzie for 800+, and Rob Ray for 900

To think we're missing out on watching great players like this now that the NHL is a league for soft marshmallow boys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You also get the odd coach's pet like Craig Adams, who was by all accounts a very intelligent "student of the game" but loving useless for the latter half of his career.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I love looking at 90's/early 2000s drafts and seeing how many no skill giants teams loved to take. Really was just a different game back then.

Of course now your average third pair defenseman can not only skate but make plays too and that probably poses some unique challenges for the modern NHL forward. Like yeah you can't be hooked and held the entire time now which is nice, but now most defensemen skate well enough that beating them one on one can still be a challenge.

Yeah, for all the league's faults the last 4-5 years has probably been the most consistently entertaining stretch of hockey I can remember seeing in the ~16 years I've been watching. The emphasis on skill/speed and the old punchmen and stay-at-home d-men retiring has been a boon for the game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah it's been great these past couple years but I'm not gonna make any bold pronouncements that we're in some golden age of the sport because it was just 5 seasons ago that Jamie Benn led the league with 87pts in one of the lowest scoring years in history.

Rule and enforcement wise, nothing significant has changed since then.

That's a very fair point. The NHL is a huge "me-too" league and it'd only take a team full of slow-rear end old bruisers fluking their way to the cup to turn hockey back into clutch and grab poo poo.

Thankfully the Kings didn't make the playoff cut so I think we're safe for another season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I occasionally wonder how many teams hurt themselves badly by drafting talentless punchmen instead of taking a flyer on a flawed skill player

The Rangers, really really hard
Hugh Jessiman 12th ahead of Parise, Getzlaf, Burns, Brown, loving Bergeron and
Dylan Mcilrath 10th ahead of Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Schwartz, and Fowler

Marchand was a 3rd round pick and Gaudraeu 4th because they were small. GMs are idiots.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I think you're picturing someone else. Patrick Marleau has never played less than 74 games in a season (his rookie season in 97/98) and is on an iron man streak dating back to the 08/09 season. At 854 games, it's the 5th longest in history.

Surpassed only by Keith Yandle of active players, who in spite of consistently being one of the highest scoring d-men in the league, is probably the easiest to forget.

Also trailed by Phil Kessel.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I wasn't trying to drag the Rangers specifically for this tendency either, I'll bet any team has just as many stupid reach picks that went for big guys who showed the slightest hint of skill in hopes they'd turn into the next Lindros or Stevens.
The dumb thing is taking the less offensive big guy when there are 5' 8" guys on the board who put up crazy numbers and that's happening less now but it's still there. That used to be because the big guy could just grab and punch his way around but now it's valuable to have little guys who can still skate really fast.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Development Coach Krys Barch.

I know, glass houses and all given what a shitshow my team was for its first decade, but drat, what a mess.

Worth mentioning... "Noted racist" Krys Barch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"Oh gently caress who knows the passwords to all of our accounts? I thought you did. Why is none of my email sending get that guy on the phone tell him it was a mistake"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just cancel the season for Christ's sake. I want hockey too but people shouldn't die for it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1275111274242850817?s=20

Pictured: possibly the last photo we may ever see of Carter Hart in a Flyers uniform

You know the more logical progression is that he's going to play really well, catch the virus, sign a long-term expensive contract in the offseason, and then never be able to play at the same level again due to lung damage leaving the flyers on the hook for his $8 million cap hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

taco show posted:

Guys is there some sort of hockey thread discord I can continue to lurk on

Come be the hockey thread you want to see in the world at https://breadnroses.net