Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just gonna repost from the end of the Feb thread because I'm still Angry About Jack Johnson:

It is hilariously easy to bait Jack Johnson into abandoning his responsibility to go chase a shiny, and he’s way too lumbering to get back in time once he’s taken two strides in the wrong direction. Every team knows it (they watch video and stuff) and every team targets him every second he’s on the ice. And even bad teams are able to exploit him over and over again.

JR and Sullivan will always be beloved in Pittsburgh but if they’re really determined to go all the way down on the JJ ship then it might be time for a regime change. JR did finally get rid of Scuderi, but Scuderi was Shero’s horrible mistake. JR and Sullivan are probably unwilling to admit they made a $30 million fuckup, so it similarly might require replacing them with someone willing to say "yeah, JR hosed up" and get Johnson the hell out of there.

At this point I don’t think it matters if the Penguins make the playoffs or not because they’re not going to stop playing JMFJ huge minutes and are going to go out in the first round anyway. Figures that the worst player on the team is pretty much the only player that didn’t get hurt all year.

Could everything Jack Johnson related in Pittsburgh have something to do with unnecessarily doing something extra to please Sidney Crosby? I know it's been said they've been friends since prep school and it was said Aaron Johnson got a second tour in Columbus in 2011 because he's Rick Nash's BFF.

In other words, maybe the pinata is the Superstar forward and not so much the coach and GM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Jackets have enough points to have the equivalent of two more wins in their last 10! :eng101:

That would give them the equivalent of 3 wins in their last 10. :eng99:

e- Jesus loving Christ, now Nathan Gerbe is out 1-2 weeks. The Hockey Gods are now smiting the minor league callups this year. :shepicide:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 2, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That's for last year, Canucks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tom Wilson deserves to sit in uncomfortable proximity to Pierre McGuire.

gently caress 'EM UP, VEGAS, gently caress 'EM UP (clap clap).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Roman Polak would like a word.

Is Dalton Prout still employed?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fits posted:

meanwhile, in nashville

:rip:

And then God said "hold my beer" and somehow made the night worse for Nashville. :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I lived an hour west of Nashville ten years ago and I am here to tell you there is nothing in the world as pants making GBS threads terrifying as a tornado. I got to experience a couple of them far closer than I ever wanted to. One time a heavily wooded hill a half mile from my house had a 30 foot wide, quarter mile long swath of trees just... gone, after a tornado hit there. Like a giant took a weed eater to it.

TV coverage of SCF Game 1 last year was interrupted by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_outbreak_sequence_of_May_2019#Brookville_%E2%80%93_Trotwood_%E2%80%93_Dayton,_Ohio

Breathing a sigh of relief that a tornado missed you only to find out a second goddamn tornado is on its way is a hell of a thing. (Fortunately, both missed me.)

Anybody who bitches about their show getting pre-empted by storm coverage can shut it.

e- One of the tornadoes destroyed Hara Arena, which was home of several Dayton IHL/ECHL/Federal League teams over the years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28821537/nhl-awards-watch-hart-trophy-race-even-more-chaotic-one-month-left#adams

Sullivan winning the Adams because he had lots of injuries but still managed four PPG players over Bednar or Torts with lesser rosters would be a joke.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jackets do a thing:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1235309136121860099

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jackets get a point! :unsmith:

Jackets blew a 2-0 lead in the third period to lose in OT. :smith:

Jackets gained a spot in the standings and now has a four point cushion on the Canes and 5 on the Rags. :unsmith:

Jackets getting one point when they should've gotten two with an AHL roster is kind of like when you go to the store to buy a brand you want and have to settle for store brand. It'll do, but Great Value brand is not Doritos. :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1235422495085400066

:lol:

https://twitter.com/jjr2525/status/1235441549531480064

:allears:

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1235437609058553856

:roflolmao:

I started reading that thread and it just kept getting better the further down I went. I'm muffling laughter at the cardboard cutout.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Man, looking at the standings, I am glad I forgot to post my playoff predictions , because I would have been completely wrong this year.

I remember at just guessing when it came to 3rd through 7th in the Metro because several positions felt interchangeable.

Turns out, I was really wrong at putting Philadelphia at 8.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

Yeah actually, what the hell happens if a player on a team contracts Coronavirus? Like standard procedure right now seems to be to isolate the person and everyone he's come into contact with.. can't really do that with a team

That team is totally going to be Columbus, the first team in history with 20 players on IR.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemennnnn, Elvis...does not...have...the hot brains. :toot:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 8, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR HARVARD DEGREE...AND TAKE IT TO THE HOSPITAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmuGo5oKbA&t=44s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Carolina and Pittsburgh are going to see quite a bit of each other between now and the finish line.

Clearly, the hockey gods are atoning for 2013 when they when on that monster run and would've legitimately won their way into the playoffs if not for the ROW tiebreaker which was championed in part by their own former GM.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N:

quote:

...Assuming compensation, future team performance or the “today’s culture” doesn’t get in the way, how confident are you that Torts signs an extension after his contract is up?

Aaron Portzline
@Gregg D. Not very. He has one more year on his contract. I guess I'd be mildly surprised if this were his last season, but I won't be surprised if next season is his last.

V: I love me some Torts and figure the plan might be to elevate Brad Shaw to HC whenever he exits under whatever circumstances they might be given teams were looking at him a couple years ago but...Boudreau, Lavy, and a much-more-competent-than-last-time Gallant aren't all going to be free agent coaches for long.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Surely, surely the Seattle owners flew to Gallant's place the day after he got fired with a briefcase full of money and an NDA.

Laviolette would be pretty good, though.

Lavi being picked would be ironic given that and a Torts retirement would cost Torts the lead between the two in the most wins by an :911: coach category.

You could also go with Boudreau because you can't just go out and WANT it...ya gotta go out and FUCKIN' want it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1237447236419633153

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1237486801729830913

Well ok good luck guys

e: I read the official CBJ response and had a lol at 'no old people' but uh if people have the virus at the event I don't extra sanitizer is going to help much fellas

They're just looking to finish the rest of the team off via Coronavirus because :lol: if PLD, Nyquist, and Jenner are going to play every game and Gavrikov will just miss one in a season with infinity man-games missed. :regd08:

e- DeWine is a dumbshit, but this statement is more out of general principle for somebody who won an election and immediately ran gas prices up 10 cents per gallon.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 10, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wysh had a big writeup on potential playoff realignment (again) and some of the options (play-in) sucked but, for argument's sake, here's what a 1-16 and 1-8 bracket might look like:

16) FLA vs 1) BOS
15) CGY vs 2) TBL
14) NYI vs 3) STL
13) CBJ vs 4) COL
12) TOR vs 5) WSH
11) CAR vs 6) PHI
10) DAL vs 7) PIT
9) EDM vs 8) VGK

1-8 (East; ignores Division winners as the 1 and 2)
8) CBJ vs 1) BOS
7) TOR vs 2) TBL
6) CAR vs 3) WSH
5) PIT vs 4) PHI Battle of Pennsylvania Fun Times

1-8 (West; ignores Division winners as the 1 and 2)
8) WPG vs 1) STL
7) NSH vs 2) COL
6) CGY vs 3) VGK
5) DAL vs 4) EDM

...under the 1-16, Winnipeg and Nashville don't even get in.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNHL/status/1237780147140546563

If the CBJ make the playoffs, I will buy one of these shirts IF proceeds from this shirt go to a charity of some sort and the shirt is still available in a size which fits me. :toxx:

:thurman:

e-

I was going to say world's worst trade show booth.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 11, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/kevin_mcgran/status/1237917872837492740

Jackets are gonna have their whole roster healed by the time this season resumes. :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1237920176533835776

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FBS posted:

god we're getting some good content tonight

What's best for the Blackhawks/Pens/Caps/New York teams/Bruins/Kings/Wild/Sabres? That'll determine what happens.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I imagine they expect the worst of it will pass by mid May and they'll start back up with the playoffs and/or a play in by June. Maybe a six week condensed playoffs with the first round or two cut to 5 games.

If it lasts longer than that probably just skip awarding a cup this year and treat the current standings as the the threshold for determining trade conditions.

My thought was cut everything but the SCF to 5 games.

Or skip straight to the playoffs, but only if my team is in right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The season being suspended just in time for the CBJ to get Cam Atkinson back is quintessential 2019-20 season. :discourse:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Detroit looks like it could pass as a regular Road jersey.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FOX Sports Ohio is now re-running 2019-20 CBJ games in timeslots meant for scheduled games, which is the first time during this thing I've felt like Will Smith in I Am Legend watching pre-recorded TV shows as filler for a sense of normalcy.

YOU FUCKS BETTER BEAT THE CANUCKS AGAIN. :argh:

e-

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm watching Game 7 of The Series That Tore SAS Apart right now.

I've heard about this but wasn't on SAS at the time. This was Buffalo/Carolina 2006, right? And what Tore SAS Apart?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 17, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Immediate disqualification from the Corona Cup playoffs when we resume hockey. No exempt list from the expansion draft and Seattle can take four players from the team.

Brad Marchand has to lick the faces of people who have been confirmed positive for Coronavirus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

God, the wiki was such a treasure.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

deoju posted:

They should play that one Caps/Pens playoff game from 09 or so when both Ovechkin and Crosby got hat tricks. That owned.

Give me 2012(?) Battle of Pennsylvania. :unsmigghh:

Mind_Taker posted:

I’d rather they finish this shortened season/postseason in the fall (September-November 2020) and then take a break and play another shortened season in 2021 (January-June) and then back to normal in the fall of 2021.

I might be down for a ~48 game 2021 season like the 2013 post-lockout edition.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Melnyk getting creative in ways to dump salary.

Stan Bowman is suddenly frustrated he's been outfoxed by Eugene Melnyk.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Guys, we are all fuckin huge nerds self-isolating at home with no hockey.

There is no excuse to not join our all-time players fantasy draft. We have 31 teams so far and will take as many teams as we can by the Sunday cutoff so we can get started. I'm going hockey withdrawal bad

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

Cross-posting here because I have this thread bookmarked in the app, but how this works is we make picks and you guys do the rest?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Last chance to get in on the all-time draft. Signups end tonight: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

We're currently at 31 teams.

I, for one, look forward to the Buckeye State Brawl between the Cleveland Barons and Columbus Blue Jackets.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Blues fans have thin blue line bumper stickers and Punisher tattoos.

Is this really worse than Bruins fans' reaction to Joel Ward eliminating them a few years ago, though?

Duckman2008 posted:

The most boring run that in,dudes going from last place to a Stanley cup win with the starting goalie being a career AHL goalie? Plus things like Gloria, playing for Layla, etc? All 4 division leaders getting knocked out in the first round ?

Plus playoff moments like Maroons OT goal, Gunnerson scoring OT in game 2 of the finals after promising to score while using the urinal next to his coach, Ben Bishop almost stealing a series and then getting knocked out in the last game, the Sharks winning in OT on an illegal hand pass, and the Blues absolutely getting stomped at home I’m game 6 before returning the favor and absolutely crushing game 7 on the road. Oh, and Brad Marchand’s tears ?

I mean, I know I’m biased since I live in St. Louis, but it was pretty memorable to me.

COUNTRY ROOOOOOOOOOOADS...TAKE ME HOOOOOME...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: LIVE HOCKEY :siren:

I'm going to pop this in here in case anyone wants to goonwatch it with a chat: https://cytu.be/r/SASCARWinterHeat

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bryz lets in a softie, then MAFster lets in a softie and multiple scraps ensue immediately afterwards as DOOP plays.

I'd forgotten how comical the 2012 Battle of Pennsylvania was. This may be the first time I watch an old game in its entirety. It helps that I don't remember who won the game or the series (or that Jagr was on the Flyera).

E- and Letang takes a dumbass penalty resulting in a Philadelphia five-on-three. :allears:

E2- gently caress Matt Cooke.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 25, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Arron Asham with an outrageously dirty match penalty for clobbering Schenn

Goon Thug Team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So far, we have Letang, Engelland, Asham, and Timonen with Game Misconducts and/or Match Penalties.

"You can't beat us" chants. :laffo:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

My favorite hockey moment (other than the Leafs losing to their own quadrigenarian zamboni driver, of course) was Hossa sitting on the Red Wings bench looking like he just watched his dog get run over while the Penguins celebrated on the ice

I enjoyed that thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

THN suggested that, if the NHL allowed compliance buyouts due to the economy being in the crapper, the Panthers could conceivably use one on :cop:.

That would be a hell of a thing.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, and then he turned down a big extension from the Penguins to sign a 1-year deal with the Red Wings, and said it was because they were likelier to win the Cup.

And then, when that didn't work, hopped the Chicago bandwagon and it finally paid off.