Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

trump allegedly reads papers and then tears them into bits which btw is a symptom of dementia

Can't show the "POTUS Has Seen" stamp if there's no paper left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i think its partially an old people thing and also partially because hes dumb as gently caress

like, when people write like that i feel like part of it is that they aren't comfortable enough communicating thru typing and thats Why This Happens! and also....they type stuff..... like this.... i guess....

“,,,,,,,,,”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kids these days don't even know how to Write a Letter... ..or how to fill Out A Check! They can't learn anything,,,,

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

trump allegedly reads papers and then tears them into bits which btw is a symptom of dementia

he also eats the torn up Bits lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

This is even more boomer than a MAD Magazine subscription.

MAD Magazine may literally be the only thing of value that lovely generation shat, although (like all things it claims to have created) it didn't make it: just kept the engine turning over while other, better generations created the value the Boomers pillaged and ruined as soon as they had the ability (while taking credit).

gently caress boomers, but MAD was v.deece.

MAD was created in the 50s by earlier generations, unless we're doing the "everyone older than I am is a boomer" thing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

MAD was created in the 50s by earlier generations, unless we're doing the "everyone older than I am is a boomer" thing

No but it was A Big Thing for the boomers and I've heard them try to appropriate it.

E: And I'm p.much of a strict constructionist on the "What is The Boomer?" issue because it lets me exclude BVMF ('43) and BVMM ('45), neither of whom display/displayed Boomerite tendencies beyond having grown up in a functional first-world nation (but notably not supporting the desolation of that in pursuit of tax cuts).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 10, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

No but it was A Big Thing for the boomers and I've heard them try to appropriate it.

national lampoon magazine is the one you’re trying for here.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

national lampoon magazine is the one you’re trying for here.

I'm not a writer and if I were I'd have more pride than that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I'm not a writer and if I were I'd have more pride than that.

if you had any pride at all you’d stop posting

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

if you had any pride at all you’d stop posting

Good thing I'm not a writer!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I miss the Coke Freestyle machines. Lemon-Lime Coke is really good.

They rolled out Ginger Sprite to the area but they never uncoupled the ginger from the sprite, I was looking forward to Ginger Cola and Ginger Root Beer but it'll probably never happen now.

:(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

did you ever have a fun freeze reaction?

lol. heh.

yeah in summer of 97 the bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms flew a half dozen agents from dallas to hot springs, ar to investigate a string of mailbox bombings. we'd figured out how to dry ice + water in a gatorade bottle and were just wrecking poo poo all over town. one of our acquaintances ratted us out to the off duty cop she worked alongside at the movie theater and we all got hauled in. Local pork convinced the feds to ease up and we all pled guilty to five counts of criminal mischief and had to write apology letters and do 50 hours of community service. I went one full day picking up trash at a run down school and my probation officer said "get out of here nerd" and signed off on the 50 hours.

I never again touched any sort of explosive or fireworks, even to this day.

record sealed at 18, expunged at 21 (i was 17 when this happened) but i know i'm still on many, many lists. we had the dumb luck of blowing up the mailbox of the most prominent Jewish day care in town on timothy mcveigh's sentencing day.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
With BVMTH at camp (socially distanced, although what that means in the context of 6-7 y.o. is of course questionable) BVMW has started going to the office again. My company is owned by a company whose owner's parents both almost died or some poo poo so we're restricted to one guy in the office at a time which means Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I'm WFH all alone.

It sucks.

:sadpeanut:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

friend in hs talked about knowing about explosives and other people acted like he did but i never saw anything until one day we were at his house just shooting the poo poo and he pulls out this case and just starts messing with it. he gets up and heads outside, we're all still talking, completely normal, and the he lights this thing in his hand and pitches it and hit the ground and explodes. all of us are shocked and he's just laughing his rear end off

anyway he's a charter pilot now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

record sealed at 18, expunged at 21 (i was 17 when this happened) but i know i'm still on many, many lists. we had the dumb luck of blowing up the mailbox of the most prominent Jewish day care in town on timothy mcveigh's sentencing day.

hachi machi

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i did a LOT of dumb poo poo as a teenager and fortunately never got caught. now that i'm 32 i'm past the statute of limitations too so now my mind is finally at ease

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i did a LOT of dumb poo poo as a teenager and fortunately never got caught. now that i'm 32 i'm past the statute of limitations too so now my mind is finally at ease

like what

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
HK closed the schools again cuz of 38 new cases after a sustained period of zero cases.

meanwhile in freedomland my teacher friends are rightfully freaking the gently caress out

bonus alarmist scmp leading headline

quote:

Officials warn of hospital care crunch as Hong Kong hit with 38 new Covid-19 cases

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

HK closed the schools again cuz of 38 new cases after a sustained period of zero cases.

meanwhile in freedomland my teacher friends are rightfully freaking the gently caress out

bonus alarmist scmp leading headline
It's cool how in other countries they have like one case and decide to shut everything down to be safe whereas here it's like "100k new cases today? Clearly we aren't opening up fast enough!"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Schadenboner posted:

Isn't weird/idiomatic capitalization a symptom of some mental health thing?

Schadenboner posted:

No, it's like a thing that people with schizotype disorders do or something?
Yes, there was a big long thread about this in D&D. For her it was stuff like capital-A Authoritarians. As I remember she was active in a lot of forums discussing this topic and it was just common knowledge that schizophrenic people are really prone to describing "that thing which has a common word but my concept of it is a bit more meaningful" by just capitalizing it, especially if there's a conspiracy or group of people behind it.

Which brings us back to Trump's "Education", "Radical Left Indoctrination", "Propaganda", and "Act Against Public Policy"

Possibly these are terms he's coined in the same way, but more likely he's using the same terms sourced from elsewhere.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 11, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Here's a great link, on an external blog, I believe by the very same poster from D&D: http://prestersperspective.blogspot.com/p/schizophrenia-randomly-capitalized-words.html

Prester Jane posted:

I wanted to try and explain specifically how my mental illness impacts my thinking and how you can see some of the results of that in my use of capitalized words. Have you ever read something written by an unmedicated schizophrenic and it is full of Randomly Capitalized Words that seem to be used in such as way as to Convey A Deeper Meaning that is important to the author but Indecipherable to the reader? This is an artifact of how schizophrenics think, and I am far from immune to it. What I have done is adapt myself to it. Let me explain.

Part of my illness is an extremely enhanced pattern recognition. This pattern recognition stems from a part of my conscious experience that process data in a fundamentally different way, I call this part of my consciousness [Pattern], and it processes and arranges data in a way that is very different from how a healthy mind processes and arranges data. [Pattern] perceives connections and repetitions in things, and it also smashes these perceptions down into more manageable abbreviations. By and large, all that [Pattern] does is process data in an extremely abbreviated fashion, sniffing specifically for commonalities between disparate data sets and then creating abbreviated methods to reference them. In most Schizophrenics this manifests as the Schizophrenic thinking and trying to communicate using these abbreviated references that [Pattern] has created in their mind. Generally they are unaware of doing so and simply assume everyone else thinks in the same terms as well, so when they write something and use one of these abbreviated terms they subconsciously turn it into a Proper Noun to distinguish the abbreviated [Pattern] produced concept they are referencing from the literal meaning of the words. As the schizophrenic is completely unaware of this, they feel they are communicating very specific ideas quite clearly, and they can read their own writing back to themselves and understand its intended meaning just fine. I am certainly not immune to this.

When you see my capitalized terms like Compaction or Inner Narrative then these represent a conscious attempt on my part to harness this aspect of schizophrenia. Through a rigorous internal review process I constantly monitor myself for the formation of new [Pattern] produced concepts. My mind creates these somewhat at random (I can consciously direct the topic that these will be formed around, but cannot really influence them otherwise), and then I try and find the ones that hold up to scrutiny. When I find ones that hold up to scrutiny then I try and find ways to communicate these concepts in terms that healthy minds will understand. Although I have naming conventions and systems for all this internally, much of it is too abstract to explain, so the names I wind up using are often part of my attempt to communicate these ideas.

The goal here then is to take the regular incoherent babble of a schizophrenic and try and turn it into something coherent.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

nice try

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tbf you did just say the statute of limitations has run out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

probably said a swear a couple times, maybe smoked a drug

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not sure we want miscreants like that in yospos

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
so Ruth’s Chris named so because of the sales contract she signed with the dude when she bought “Chris’s Steak House”.

she was apparently a pretty prominent lesbian in New Orleans, and I’ve been told she was the sort of matriarch of that community until she died.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
he’s really stupid too and doesn’t understand grammar very well

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

im not sure we want miscreants like that in yospos

killing someone feels kind of like playin' a basketball game

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

freeasinbeer posted:

so Ruth’s Chris named so because of the sales contract she signed with the dude when she bought “Chris’s Steak House”.

she was apparently a pretty prominent lesbian in New Orleans, and I’ve been told she was the sort of matriarch of that community until she died.

It's just weird to me that it never went through a marketing-MBA-led rebranding that renamed it "THE RC GRILL"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ruth's chris is extremely overpriced btw do not go there unless it's like your boss paying or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ruth's chris is extremely overpriced btw do not go there unless it's like your boss paying or something

rule 36 tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I've never been to Ruth's Chris but capital grille is really really good. it's one of those places where you're disappointed a little when you find out it's a chain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Most steakhouses are huge ripoffs, steak is easy to cook

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I was just about to say what pokejoe said, it's true. I can't really do the full steakhouse thing at home cause the temps required are too high but I can get really really close

it's nice to not have to make sides though. and I don't really know how to make tartare, though I can't imagine it's too hard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't really know how to make tartare, though I can't imagine it's too hard

You know how usually you cook meat? Well in this case you don't

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

its brutal that the biggest restaurant to come out of NO is a generic high end steak with butter chain

(please well actually its popeyes me)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

popeyes is good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

its brutal that the biggest restaurant to come out of NO is a generic high end steak with butter chain

(please well actually its popeyes me)
well, actually - its popeyes :smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

popeyes is good

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst part of the whole quiltbag-hating chicken chain is it's not even that good, popeye's is vastly superior