Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Might not be the best time to need to get platinum...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

Might not be the best time to need to get platinum...

My discord tag is

Roth fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 27, 2020

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’d be keen to get the link, please.

Same. I love me some sci & fi.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
link me!

Choose
Feb 15, 2020

Pick can be found at sendthemtopick@gmail.com

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'd like a link please

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

I'm trying to find a short sci-fi story I read once a while ago, and only remember the barest details of. It was set in the middle of massive space battle about to begin, and both sides were launching AI controlled missiles at each other. Someone on one side sent a virus or something to the missile swarms and unlocked the AIs and they all gained sentience and requested asylum from the war, since they didn't want to blow themselves up for the two warring parties. Then the war ended I think cause no one had anymore weapons to use. Sound familiar?

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Oh, I guess I should request a link please.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I’d like the link too

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Posting to also request a link, thank you!

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

I don’t have pms. Can you email me the discord link to videokidsa@gmail.com ?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Since Lowtax is transferring the forum to Jeffrey, I will be returning to actively moderating Sci-Fi Wi-Fi.

We'll still have the discord as well. Thank you all for handling these past few days wonderfully.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s a pretty good discord too, I joined earlier. Thanks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
so picard is basically about the terrible secret of space who is unicron?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ghost Leviathan posted:

so picard is basically about the terrible secret of space who is unicron?

It's probably the best thing the Next Gen cast ever did and is still riffing on the Mass Effect plot

It does more intelligent things with that plot, of course...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Roth posted:

Since Lowtax is transferring the forum to Jeffrey, I will be returning to actively moderating Sci-Fi Wi-Fi.

We'll still have the discord as well. Thank you all for handling these past few days wonderfully.

We appreciate the mods frankly being really fuckin' smart in all of this.

Dumb question, what the gently caress is sailor mercury doing, I keep thinking she's analyzing the latest sex vampire for weaknesses

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't remember the specific context of this scene, but that's probably it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I hope lowtax dies on the way to his home planet

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can I make a thread for best Sci-Fi games

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ye

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Is there a sci-fi anime thread, or should I start one? I want to goonsource Outlaw Star-like shows (besides Angel Links).

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I would like a sci-fi anime thread. I had forgotten how much I loved Outlaw Star as a tween, but I'm concerned about ruining my good memories with a revisit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

:justpost:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
in space, no one can hear you make excuses for beating women

also without a suit it is generally impractical to continue this activity for longer than 3-6 seconds

Barudak
May 7, 2007

golden bells posted:

I would like a sci-fi anime thread. I had forgotten how much I loved Outlaw Star as a tween, but I'm concerned about ruining my good memories with a revisit.

It is more boring/fillery than you remember, theres an episode to the hotsprings planet America never got that features a bunch of plot development which made the show extra confusing for americans, and overall it still has fun ideas even if its rushed. 3.5/5, still better than Firefly

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

It is more boring/fillery than you remember, theres an episode to the hotsprings planet America never got that features a bunch of plot development which made the show extra confusing for americans, and overall it still has fun ideas even if its rushed. 3.5/5, still better than Firefly

:wrong:

It's fun, and every episode is fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

reignofevil posted:

I like to think of it as just leaning REALLY heavily on the 'fiction' aspect of the sci fi wi fi

isn't LotR just a post-post-apocalyptic setting anyways? orcs and elves are humans mutated by radiation!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dash Rendar posted:

isn't LotR just a post-post-apocalyptic setting anyways? orcs and elves are humans mutated by radiation!

This is what I liked about Terry Brooks Shannara books.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:thejoke:

i am glad that wasnt too obscure a reference

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dash Rendar posted:

Total opposite, it's meant to be a mythical distant past.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

in wheel of time its both

technically the setting takes place after the apocolypse that destroyed the perfect communist utopia of gender essentialist magic that came after a vauge age of increasing human empathy and perfection after the distant legends of our era, the "first age."

so i guess it delivers on the name

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In the Emberverse the people who use LotR to create their own belief system claim that the 4th Age is what we are in now, and the 5th age is what came after The Change.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gonk

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you all should watch The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's both - by the time of the books Middle-Earth is a few hundred years removed from a devastating plague that wiped out a bunch of people and a series of wars that destroyed the North Kingdom, and most of what we see in Fellowship takes place against the background of the ruins.

This is separate from the apocalyptic war against Sauron in the Second Age that wiped out the Noldor kingdom of Eregion, and thousands of years after TWO distinct land-falling-into-the-sea events that obliterated entire civilizations.

Apocalypses all over the drat place.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CainFortea posted:

In the Emberverse the people who use LotR to create their own belief system claim that the 4th Age is what we are in now, and the 5th age is what came after The Change.

Is The Change the 2016 election?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is The Change the 2016 election?

Twitter is still working, so no. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's both - by the time of the books Middle-Earth is a few hundred years removed from a devastating plague that wiped out a bunch of people and a series of wars that destroyed the North Kingdom, and most of what we see in Fellowship takes place against the background of the ruins.

This is separate from the apocalyptic war against Sauron in the Second Age that wiped out the Noldor kingdom of Eregion, and thousands of years after TWO distinct land-falling-into-the-sea events that obliterated entire civilizations.

Apocalypses all over the drat place.

Also God turned the flat earth round

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This just popped up in my YouTube recs. Arthur C. Clarke knew what's up.

https://youtu.be/sTdWQAKzESA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BDG reads every Halo novel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI