Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh no my heisman campaign

Eh. One bad week isn't going to kill it.

It gets made up here, where I start digging around in the playbook for strange plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jDJxke_C4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Sorry--went on hiatus for a week but I'm back!

...doesn't look like anyone noticed, though :smith:

Anyway, here our week 9 matchup against Hawai'i (which is a rivalry game, for some reason)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Tv36Vhp8

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Oh no! Injury bug bites again

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Finally number 1! Is there much understanding of how ranking works in this game or is there a ton of randomness to simulate weird biases in the polling?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

whowhatwhere posted:

Finally number 1! Is there much understanding of how ranking works in this game or is there a ton of randomness to simulate weird biases in the polling?

Usually what conference you're in and you're strength of schedule help determine the rankings. Of there are two undefeated teams, the one that had a harder schedule is usually the Number One.

Of course every team here is awful so only winning games should be enough.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Usually what conference you're in and you're strength of schedule help determine the rankings. Of there are two undefeated teams, the one that had a harder schedule is usually the Number One.

Of course every team here is awful so only winning games should be enough.

....which is why its such a mystery sometimes how these rankings shake out. I'm sure there's some hard-coded system for determining rankings, but I wouldn't know how to extract that information.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Lol at the intro billing this game as the Broncos (?????) vs the Cougars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i noticed, prof duck! i just figured you didn't need me bugging you in the thread.

rainbow warriors vs mormons makes sense as a thematic rivalry but it's probably due to the fact that they are the two biggest Western FBS independents.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Lol at the intro billing this game as the Broncos (?????) vs the Cougars

Y'know, I thought I saw that, but I wasn't sure if I just wasn't paying close enough attention or what. That's probably the first weird thing this LP that isn't from my changes!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i noticed, prof duck! i just figured you didn't need me bugging you in the thread.

rainbow warriors vs mormons makes sense as a thematic rivalry but it's probably due to the fact that they are the two biggest Western FBS independents.

...those both make some semblance of sense. Thanks!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Onto week 11! More religious scuffles! things get bonkers with a KR AND PR touchdown, and really should've had 2 if it weren't for a stupid clipping penalty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zroLRoA9Y

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, is there an adjustment you can make for defense? Watching everyone just fall over when touching the ball-carrier is painful

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

drat, now that's a game. The multiple touchdown returns are obviously the highlight, but I have a soft spot for that first "sack" from the QB just pinballing around on his own dudes. Always appreciate the stuff like that that you can only get from 40 OVR.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Holy poo poo, is there an adjustment you can make for defense? Watching everyone just fall over when touching the ball-carrier is painful

There's a "big hit" adjustment I can make on defense. Going conservative on that is basically going for the sure tackles instead of trying to lay into the opposing team.

Some if it is probably positioning, too. Bad angles and what-not. Also I have a tendency to dive at players, and for some reason that has a lower success rate in terms of actually bringing someone down, so...I'm probably to blame on that end :v:

I've always been kinda bad at defense, but we score enough points that it doesn't matter much!

Nick Buntline posted:

drat, now that's a game. The multiple touchdown returns are obviously the highlight, but I have a soft spot for that first "sack" from the QB just pinballing around on his own dudes. Always appreciate the stuff like that that you can only get from 40 OVR.

The low-rated stuff is always fun to toy with just to see what happens. I remember back when D-II teams were in the game (ps2 era) when my friends and I would just play using the most garbage teams we could find on the game and laugh at the general incompetency. This brings some of that back

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

We're back! A day later than usual, but nonetheless, MORE lovely FOOTBALL HOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2aW-mQqc7E

Sorry I keep getting people killed :smith:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

We're back! A day later than usual, but nonetheless, MORE lovely FOOTBALL HOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2aW-mQqc7E

Sorry I keep getting people killed :smith:

They’ve come to snuff the Rooster!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

HereticMIND posted:

They’ve come to snuff the Rooster!

They had it coming! :v:

Anyway, I'm sure all y'all are aware of things exploding around here, so I just wanna mention a couple things:
1.) I'm planning on continuing this series in some capacity. If you're interested in hanging around for the ride, you might want to consider subscribing (I hate, hate, hate doing the whole "be sure to like and subscribe!" poo poo, but if SA goes *poof* you'll at least be able to keep up with the series)
2.) My usual LP partner and I are discussing possible avenues to keep doing our thing. Possibly on Discord, possibly not--we have no idea right now.

I'm going to try and keep things running here in the meantime.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Belk All Big Ten Bowl

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, the week 13 game against Cal has a scoreline...14-0

That's about all the data I have from it. I don't really remember anything remarkable about it other than both teams being offensively futile.

Here's what happened. I finished the game, advanced the week (which is the point NCAA autosaves), finished the episode, and left the capture software on my CPU to finish processing the recording (its not the swiftest thing, so it usually takes a few minutes after stopping the recording to do).

....and then I lose power...while the vid was still processing...and it corrupted the file.

Luckily, that's all I lost there, but there is a week gap in the series. Sorry about that.

Here's week 14 to make up for it, though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcSfLV6Aow

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Football Powerhouse... Akron?

edit: I lust for Xort

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Football Powerhouse... Akron?

edit: I lust for Xort

Yep! Akron!

Usually when I play NCAA, I noticed that, regardless of what my setup is (40 OVR, relegation, both, user-controlled), Akron ALWAYS gets trashed. Its good to see them doing well.

So I've been on hiatus for the last week to attend a wedding in Washington state. I'll be back to my normal recording schedule on Sunday and posting Monday, so y'all can see our final game against Army and (hopefully) our National Championship win!

In the meantime, start thinking about what changes we might make for the upcoming season. I'll post the list of options with the Army game, but if you have thoughts/ideas already, throw them out and we can talk about implementation.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, I have some bad news to report.

It seems that the problems I encountered with the Cal game have done a little more than I thought. I didn't have issues with recording the Georgia game, but I sat down today to record the Week 15 game against Army. I had the thing recording, and made sure it was. About 3/4 of the way through, the computer's screen went blank, and I tried to get the everything back. I did, and I wasn't sure if the previous footage had saved, so I continued the game, continued recording from that spot, and moved onto the National Championship.

After setting up for the final game, I went and checked my recordings only to find that all of the footage before the monitor went out was gone. Didn't render, didn't save.

In light of this, I don't really want to keep putting up bad content, so here's what happened.

We beat Army 51-7. Moroni picked up PotG, Bell had 4 sacks for the NCAA record, and got a safety at the end of the game.

-Moroni won the Heisman, Walter Camp, the O'Brien, and the Maxwell
-Crockett won Returner of the year
-Livious won the Mackey

I played the National Championship again #2 Arizona State. We won 35-14. Moroni wins PotG with a 4 total TD effort, and Chunks (who made it back for this one) gets the other TD.

I hope that you guys enjoyed this little experiment, and until I can figure out what exactly has gone wrong with my CPU, I'll be ending the thread here. If there's some interest, I might bring my other idea back in and run with that for a while (relegation-style league) where you guys can help me either find a Teambuilder team to use, or muck with an existing one. That probably won't come for a bit, so just keep an eye out for it later on.

I'm sorry that things ended like this :smith: Hopefully I'll see you back once I sort my stuff out.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I enjoyed it while it lasted!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Agreed. It was a lot of fun to watch, and while it's sad to see it end, at least we got to go out on a big win. Looking forward to whatever you do next!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Really enjoyed the thread and I look forward to your next experiment!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It's unfortunate that the tale of Biff Chuks goes unfinished bit what can you do? :shrug:

This was a fun LP. Interested to see what comes next.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This was a great time, thanks for running it! Hopefully your computer issues aren't something more major.

all hail Cumorah Moroni, Heisman Winner!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Thanks for all the positive feedback, y'all--its really appreciated, especially with the way this is ending. :unsmith:

I'm working on a new recording setup, and also toying with some new ideas/concepts for what a different series might look like. I hope I can be back soon with something!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm just glad Poindexter Nurdlie helped win a national championship :unsmith:

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
It is unfortunate that technical problems are ending this LP. It was great fun while it lasted. I was amused that Livious beat the prophecy of his name to do well.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Can we blame this on the 40-overall players on the roster? I like to think: yes

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

mercenarynuker posted:

Can we blame this on the 40-overall players on the roster? I like to think: yes

Well, you absolutely could. Perhaps the computer and 360 got so sick of crappy football that they borked themselves out of desperation :v:

I'm making some headway into a new setup and configuration. A few short (~10 minutes) recordings have been fine, and I'm throwing around some ideas for a new league. One nice thing I realized is that I created a backup for the beginning of season 2, so I have an opportunity to do whatever I plan as a continuation of what's already been done, but I'll need to think of how to approach that.

I'll keep updating here for now (if there is anything to update), but most likely start a new thread wit the new project once I've worked out the details.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Post the new thread here. I only live in my bookmarked threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

grill youre saelf posted:

Post the new thread here. I only live in my bookmarked threads

New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933811