Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im playing this now. pretty fun. i like how all my fav guns from 1.6, when i was a young man, are in this game also. enjoying the bazooka rocket jumpy lady. the awp feels good, as does the silenced mp5 & colt knockoff. I see pros using the ak on twitch but i suck bad at it. also suck bad at the pumpy but that's since time immemorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my only guff with valorant, that took me a long time to figure out what it was, is 5v5 comp style pubbing. back in the day i'd play those big rear end 24 person cs pub servers and that was the bomb. so many people to frag. i understand the 5v5 serious gamer mode of course, i played CAL CS in high school, so, i get it, but sometimes you juts wanna awp 8 noobs down long or whatever or rush with the autoshotty and blast a grip of fools before dying 6 seconds after u spawned.

gaming has changed... too. players are a lot better. low level noobs metagame and try to win and stuff lol instead of just derping around with their favorite guns blasting half life sound selector tracks =D

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i haev some suggestions w/r/t character skins. riot, feel free to reach out. trust me, ur gonna like it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
riot headhunters desperately searching through a maze of gin soaked south london pubs for the legendary level designer, dave johnston, in a last-ditch effort to save their ailing fps

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hmmm maybe riot should’ve left the game in beta for longer then so that they could take community feedback!

its frito who cares if its beta or live lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem for VALORANT is maps in CSGO have had 20 years of culling bad ideas and only developing popular maps. Remember cs_747?

They need a public map editor and casual servers.

747 whipped dumbass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Can we please spend a couple pages arguing about vintage cs maps bro. Please. That’s like hella the value of SA, a site for old rear end gamers lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I loved it too actually but clearly we’re in a tiny minority. I also remember liking militia which they remade and then deleted!

If they deleted militia then they can suck my loving cock. I got a vid for y’all mfs if I still think it’s a good idea when I sober up !remindme

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Asema posted:

yeah dude dust2 24/7 for three weeks because there's no other map it owns

Don’t come back to this thread.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My fav map of all time: cs_arabstreets

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I think it’s funny that some guys are shooting the bull about 747 and you come in qqing about dust2 lmfao. Like so dumb. Read the room dude. If you’re a noob or whatever that’s cool but just stfu for a min.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dy. posted:

To me, Valorant is a much better pro-focused game than CSGO, but a much more difficult casual one.

I actually think Riot hugely succeeded in creating a super-tight CS-alike with very good netcode, responsiveness, and anti-cheat, which is no small feat. I think the tough part that keeps it from being more popular at places like SA is actually the hero-shooter part - it's a much larger barrier for casual players (like me). In CS, every player is the same and you just have to understand what flashbangs and nades do. In order to really be competitive in Valorant you have to learn and understand how to recognize and counter literally every character's 4+ powers, sound and visual cues, etc. It's just a loooooooootttt more to have to understand about a game.

Also yeah the map design could be a bit better.

It kinda sucks because sometimes I want to just jump into a simple game like CS but Valorant does such a better job at netcode and anti-cheat that it's kind of ruined it for me.

thats smart and i broadly agree but also consider that goons are all old as gently caress now and just get owned constantly in this game and get bored and stop playing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dy. posted:

I do really miss the pubstomping days before anyone figured out how to play these games.

we was used to be the pubstompers n now we da pubs. sad poo poo. :911:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

We'll see if Riot keeps them around after June ends or if they yank them like they do in League of Legends because otherwise the 80% of their playerbase that owns a copy of Mein Kampf will start playing Dota 2 instead.

i already play dota

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Installed this game again yesterday but already can't stand playing with my buddy. Every round there's an excuse, it's like listening to my own darksydephil

one of the classic pitfalls of gaming with the bros. sometimes they reveal they a bitch. sad when this happens.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
today i was watching some stream and started to think "wow, pistol round is so important, crazy, wonder the stats are on that. what if you started at 5k?

it made me think of the epic Chart Party ep where he talks about the kickoff, and how it sucks and doesn't actually have statistical weight really, and just injures players for no reason. anywyas, you can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

basically what im saying is i'd like a stats goon to do this but for pistol round. i looked and didn't see a huge reddit dissertation on it which is surprising, but i dont get all the cool journals.

theres prob enough data from say 1.6 replays (can you scrape these?) thru cs source and go, pro majors.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Up Circle posted:

winning the pistol round gives you more money than the other team on the next round, which increases your likelihood to win. in other words op, winning hte pistol round improves your chances of winning the next round by a significant margin due to the financial advantage your team will possess.

cool thanks. throwing rock in water make wave. dumbass.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’m amused they call the big sniper Operator and everyone calls it the “op” which sounds exactly like awp. I literally thought people were using CS terms for this.

Op, I believe this is intentional.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The likelihood of a sewer ranked goon correctly identifying a cheater after 5 games or whatever is vanishingly slim. you’re going to suck dog poo poo for a long time. Just imo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back in cs pre 1.6 you'd spot a cheater when they bought a para and started rapidly 360ing headshots through the dust tunnel walls like an autoturret from aliens. people these days are so spoiled

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Server I played on didn’t even have amx or wuatwver. Straight rcon. That’s class.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Meta mod iirc? Anyways :rip: dedicated servers

rip

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Kinda crazy how noobs gg out so quick. Like even if the game is doomed you can still play for fun and to practice. Like that’s why you’re playing lol. Ain’t like there’s a paycheck on the other side of the W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Arzachel posted:

If a successful team emerges from Challengers, two years in they're getting kicked back down to Challengers for a whole year

Dunno why everybody doesn’t just crib the gsl code a / code s format.