Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Weight is a pretty bad system as things stand.

Choices are only meaningful in the context of being able to correctly weigh costs and benefits against each other. Weight would be interesting if it didn't also invisibly impact speed. As things stand if you put in a character at max weight you've also reduced their speed by an amount that can't be assessed in any meaningful way.

Given how powerful speed is, since enough literally gives you extra turns, it becomes near impossible to actually assess whether this heavy armour you're putting on increases your survivability or actually reduces it because you lose action economy.

At the moment, unless you're running the Bodyslam heavyweight build you basically want as little weight as possible whilst maximising your attacking stats and speed. Unless a boss oneshots your characters, or two shots with AoE, you'll just win by beating them on action economy and healing throughput.

I don't know if it's controversial but I'd like to go to a new town and find new items to equip or find a cool drop in a dungeon and use it rather than junking it because the weight is off.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Let's play a game! It's called how many sidequests are in this area:

Not sure? Let's take a closer look!

Okay once more, a little closer!

If you answered 2, you're wrong!

If you anwered "gently caress this game and it's stupid sidequest design," you're a winner!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm 99% sure that steal rates are affected by relative level advantage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Through Chapter 2 now.

BD2 feels like a game that threw away all the lessons that the BD team had figured out before the original released in a lot of areas. (Which I suppose it logical, it's a new team on these games)

Dungeons are horribly paced. Numerous dungeons last upwards of an hour and a half running across multiple vast floors with dead ends and no minimap. This is contrasted to BD1 where almost without fail every dungeon is half an hour long with a save point at the end. I think the intent here is that you visit each dungeon multiple times with the teleport system but the problem is that on an extended play session, you're fighting the same mob packs for over an hour and it gets really dull.

Sidequests are highlighted awfully. I've managed to miss no less than three fully voiced and relevant side quests, one involving a job because I didn't happen to look inside the correct building. BD and BS figured this out, gigantic exclamation points on sidequests and no irrelevant fetch quest style sidequests.

World encounters aren't a random system any more but they feel worse somehow? You could slider things down to 0 before if you wanted to, but now even if you're very done with a set of enemies in a dungeon you have to fight absolutely everything.

Bosses are challenging but counters feel random and unfair. Examining an opponent should reveal the counters that they have available to them. It definitely isn't acceptable to die to an encounter because you dared to use physical attacks after a phase transition. This wasn't a problem with the original default because it didn't have counters but managed to give bosses action economy on the player for the top half of the game through either minions or clever BP raising shenanigans. Crucially the strategies bosses used in the original were all available to the player.

With all of that being said, this is still a bravely game and so I'm playing the hell out of it, but it does feel like a downgrade on the prior two from a gameplay/game design perspective.

Can't really comment on the plot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ytlaya posted:

So I just did the Berserker fight and yeesh. I won first try, but just barely and only because I had unlocked Arise on WHM already; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the damage he was dishing out. It was actually not a battle of attrition, since the sheer damage he dealt out pressured me to try and kill him sooner rather than later (since the wrong combination/timing of his attacks could have wiped me out easily). I think I would have had an easier time if I had leveled up Bard (which I'm going to do as soon as Elvis maxes Black Mage, since he's really close now). On the upside, it probably says something good about the boss fights that nearly every single one involves me barely winning. Feels like you have to put more thoughts into things and that I would have lost if I had made worse decisions.

Others have mentioned this, but don't sleep on Poison. It seemingly lasts forever against bosses once applied. I was also able to Confuse the aforementioned boss, though it didn't do much good since his allies were already dead.

In the boss fight mentioned above, hitting his weakness with Firaga did ~700 damage, but he countered fire damage and the damage was still dramatically inferior to both Monk and Beastmaster releasing a Minotaur. Speaking of the latter, I wish there was some way to get a description of Beastmaster abilities - it only says if they have an elemental alignment but some obviously aren't even attacks - there's one monster's ability was called Advance and targeted a party member, but I had no idea what it would do (ended up not using it since I was in the middle of a boss fight). I'll probably look them up online, but that information would ideally be in the game somewhere.

I get the impression that BLM might be the sort of job that is better as a subjob for a job that can do better magic damage. I could also see something like Aspir Attack being good on other jobs, since many melee jobs use MP for attacks.

Spoiler for the CH2 boss mentioned.

Freelancers can dispel his berserk which trivialises everything

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So now that I'm in Chapter 3 an overall idea for something that's hilariously dumb and memey.

Spoilers for a Chapter 2 job and potentially strategies you might come up with yourself.

Vanguard 11 can donate BP as an ability. Pictomancer 9 has a passive that reduces the BP cost of actions on a sub job by 1. So any job subbed with Vanguard gets to donate BP with this passive at a 1 to 1 ratio.

The rate at which you get actions and therefore BP is determined by your speed and weight.

So equip a thief with thunder talismans/wind talismans to minimise weight and maximise speed. Remove all weapons from the thief and equip him with the most mitigation from armour you can manage. Your thief will have near 15 weight points or so below cap and a speed that's ungodly fast, we're talking 100+.

Your thief will get turns faster than basically anything. Spam default until you max its BP at which point you donate your BP stash to whoever needs it.

The really mad part is that your thief can still deal crazy damage on his own because of godspeed strike effectively being maxed out with this build.

It is really quite dumb and just insanely powerful in the context of the action economy in this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

My guess is it involves Red Mage. The level 12 specialty for Red Mage is Chain Spell, which makes every spell you cast automatically cast a second time for free, effectively doubling your magic damage. Red Mage primary with Black Mage secondary is really strong once you have Red Mage at level 12.

Kinda sucks though because you lose all those delicious JPs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

I just finished another of them. Salvemaker, Shieldmaster, Swordmaster. That fight was so loving hard and SO loving satisfying to get the win.

Turns out that putting Break Damage Limit on your person who casually hits 9999 allowing them to now hit for 20k+ is really good!

About that... Technically, any JP you earn on a job that's at 12 is banked for the future when you unlock level 15 for them!

I really wish you'd been more specific about where that spoiler was. I thought I'd missed a banking mechanic between jobs and now I've had a really cool surprise spoiled. :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay I am officially over how ridiculously long these dungeons are.

Dungeons should not take more than two loving hours to do. There is absolutely no excuse for poo poo like this, you could literally cut two thirds out of these things and achieve the same result. I've spent an hour and a half wandering through identikit corridors with no minimap and it's just not fun.

Maybe, maybe your final dungeon takes that long, but these things are the size of Persona 5 palaces but a tenth as interesting and there are four times as many of them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Chapter 3 ice cave 1, chapter 3 pit and chapter 3 tower are the most recent offenders.

Edit: Chapter 3 tower, I started at 5pm my time and finished the play session at 7pm and I've hit the halfway warp. It's absolutely mad.

Others include Chapter 1 cave, Chapter 2 sewer.

All of these have clocked in at well above two hours, playing on hard and fighting everything, no grinding.

Additionally the levelling curve is completely hosed because I fight everything and skip nothing and I've been in constant underdog since the beginning of Chapter 3.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 5, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

Finished off the true ending just shy of 40 hours on the clock. What a game. :allears: The shenanigans you can get up to with the endgame's features are just delightful.

That really doesn't change, but that's also really superfluous because a good team steamrolls regardless.

Also, consider just... not fighting poo poo. :v: Most of the enemies are not that hard to avoid.

Chapter 3 tower is a set of extremely narrow corridors with enemies that hurl themselves at you faster than your movespeed. It's very difficult to avoid them.

A good team can smash but at this point everything is a 3000+ HP sponge. They survive a free BP punch so every combat takes a minimum of two rounds.

I'd love to just skip everything at this point but I have no idea if that's going to get me to a breakpoint where I'm hosed on bosses.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The pro-strat in Bravely Default was to equip that Red Mage(?) ability that gave a character 1 BP when they were afflicted by a negative status then having a Red Mage cast Poison on your whole party three times then Esuna to remove it. Then you could endlessly spam that Pirate attack that did 4x damage or Godspeed Strike or whatever.

In BD1 it was a Red Mage sub Time Mage who would poison your entire party two to three times for BP and then Esuna or Reraise based on what you needed more.

In BD2 it was using chef to spam your team with poison pies and then using the custom special system to generate more BP when you ran close to a BP deficit.

But both of them had alternatives in the form of Performer/Mimic and Haste World/Spiritmaster.

Here I've found one major battery strat so far with two permutations to it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't be spending like an hour and a half in any of the dungeons lol. The mobs should all be running away from you on sight, and if they aren't, just take like a couple minutes to grind a little. Use monster food and just level up some jobs. Once the monsters run from you, getting through an dungeon shouldn't really take any time at all.

To me grinding ruins JRPGs completely. What's the point in playing if I'm a living god when I fight every boss? Also it's boring as sin.

Mainly the onus shouldn't be on a player who is playing the game as predictably as possible to grind outside dungeons to make the actual dungeons tolerable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah, sure, that's fine. But all I was saying was that the complaint about the dungeons being 'too long' is a false claim. I don't think they're super cool or anything - they're mostly just 'fine'. But if they are 'too long' for someone, then its just because they are underleveled and constantly getting into monster fights. You can either grind such that the encounters run away from you, or use Ward Lights.

The dungeons themselves are kinda short for what they are, and I think the only one up to the end of Chapter 3 that I spent an extended period of time in was the Wayward Woods because they pull the stupid Lost Woods poo poo there. The snowy area where you grab the dream plant also kinda sucks because of the blizzard mechanic slowing you down. But again, that's a tiny dungeon that probably takes all of 5-10 minutes to actually run through.

Like that's obviously incorrect for a lot of reasons.

If the level curve is off so you're constantly underleveled in dungeons that's a problem with the game. Again, I am playing this as predictably as anyone reasonably could do. If the claim then is "But the game assumes grinding" then I'm going to call it a bad game because no RPG in 2021 should assume that the player spends their time grinding trash mobs to stay on curve.

It equally should not be an expectation that the player goes into the dungeon overleveled without fighting anything for it to be of a tolerable length. I actually don't think being underleveled is significantly impacting me because I snapped the job system over my knee and it's only just catching up now. But in a world where I fight what comes to me, kill every encounter inside two rounds and continue on, these dungeons are taking upwards of two hours.

That is far too long and really bad design. The dungeons have impact and ideas for half an hour of content, not two. You could cut this game down by half and it would be a much breezier and fun RPG.

The fact that there are teleport points doesn't change the fact that I'm already really bored of the dungeon by the time I hit the midpoint. Most dungeons should end by the first teleport point as they stand.

For what it's worth I still enjoy the game because it's an FFV job system so how can I not. But it's such a step down from the previous titles in so many ways that I'm disappointed

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

Dude. My man. It's taking you 2 hours to get through a dungeon. It should not be taking 2 hours to get through a dungeon. No one else is having that problem. Either use Ward Lights or just level up. If the monsters are avoiding you (and you avoid the chests I suppose), you can run to the end of a given dungeon in like 10 minutes. Even if you go for every chest, that might boost the time to like half an hour? The dungeons are physically pretty small.

The only real offender is Wayward Woods, but, again, it's pulling Zelda Lost Woods poo poo on you.

If the monsters are avoiding you you are explicitly overleveled according to the game. There is a loading screen tip that literally says you need to find stronger enemies.

Of course if you don't fight any enemies the dungeon is going to be short. You're not actually doing the dungeon, you're just running through a corridor.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

The game's already been beaten on a no-EXP-gained new game plus on hard so I dunno what you want from it. :v:

Yes the game is broken if you have JP for all the jobs. I don't think anyone is questioning that! :v:

Borsche69 posted:

Then we both agree that the dungeons are short.

So do you play RPGs by levelling up on trash in the world and then running away from every encounter while in the content you were grinding for?

If so, uh, more power to you, but I don't think you're playing the game the way that most people do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

He can fight as many enemies in the dungeon as he wants and if he starts getting bored/thinks hes taking too long in the dungeon he can just pop a ward light. He is the master of his own experience and it feels like he's going out of his way to punish himself. Again, he's spending 2 loving hours in apparently every dungeon so far.

Let's take what you've said as reasonably as I can.

I pop ward light and just run through half of every dungeon because I'm bored. I come up against mandatory boss fights that eventually start breaking me because I'm starved of XP and JP. At some point then I have to just sit and grind to deal with the problem I've caused by skipping half the dungeon. Bearing in mind that I'm already, per the game, underleveled, I'm exacerbating a potential issue that already exists.

That is a completely undesirable situation in every sense of the word.

I suspect that I'm never going to get through to you on this.

The options to change difficulty/encounter rate are fine but they aren't a substitute for actually curating a level curve and dungeon time that feel rewarding. If a player plays the game as I have, which is, I think, in a really reasonable way, the game becomes a boring slog and that's bad. The solution you present is "Just don't play the game," which is valid but also proves the point I'm trying to make.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

So go spend like 5 minutes on the prologue seashore chaining mobs for lots of JP and move on?

Like, idk, the game is very much like FF5 where it's quite easy (and even more efficient in some ways) to skip most of the randoms and spot-grind as you encounter resistance to unlock more job functionality. :shrug:

Yeah and to me that's bad. That's design from 20 years ago that Bravely Default 1 moved smoothly past. (Through softcapping jobs at level 4 and level 8 and through the default random encounter pace being designed with the dungeon length in mind)

If that's what I have to, it's what I have to do, but it's disappointing in the context of a sequel to a pair of games I absolutely loved in no small part because of how good their gameplay pacing was.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

raditts posted:

Unless you run from literally every encounter or are otherwise explicitly avoiding it, you should have at least one character maxed on Freelancer by the end of the prologue and all of them by the end of Chapter 1. Which means all your characters should have Body Slam available, which is effective for one-shotting trash mob enemies at least as far as chapter 3, but at that point you should have comparable abilities from other jobs that do way more damage for the same BP cost.

What was the boss everyone was talking about that some reviewer was saying was too difficult, by the way?

I didn't run from anything and I maxxed my first freelancers in the thief dungeon, but you shouldn't really need body slam until that point anyway so it's fine. The Beastmaster boss is pretty hairy though.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m about to start this game (Persona Strikers distracted me)

I’m a big big BD1 fan, but was a bit disappointed with the battle system in the demo - how are people finding it in the full game

There's good and there's bad based on what you like.

The classes are more available this time so you can chop and change what you want more. This is offset by Freelancer maxxing being available from the off and JP up being a pair of passive skills meaning that often it feels like you're locked to 2/5 passive points because the rest are set on JP up. That limits experimentation somewhat but otherwise it is pretty breezy.

The battle system is actually pretty good. All it is is an ATB system ala FF5/6/7 with bells on. So if you like those games then even if you didn't enjoy the demo you'll find that the battle system holds up.

Bosses and fights in general are interesting and offer a real challenge this time around. I feel like trash is a bit too HP spongey later on but there's a lot of stuff to think about from the boss fights and you'll generally have the tools to deal with them.

The story and characters is about as paint by numbers as default from the early part. There's a few great twists so it holds up a little better and I've not seen a complete logic collapse like there was in the bottom half of BD1.

I've argued up the thread that the dungeon pacing is off for a lot of reasons. If you're the kind of person that will grind for fun ahead of a dungeon and go in overpowered then you'll have a fine time, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't do that and takes encounters as they come, you're going to have an awful time. it's probably the biggest downside I see in the game.

Ironically I feel like the player agency, so difficulty setting / encounter setting is worse in this. Grinding is harder to do overall because you have to be a sheepdog to get enemies coralled for a decent grind rather than just turning up the encounter rate and oneshotting everything for chain kill / no damage bonuses.

I think broadly the game is a step down on the prior ones but that doesn't make it a bad game. Equally I spent today playing Banjo Kazooie rather than playing this and I feel much better for it so ymmv.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 6, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

okay here we go. i don't know how many times i can say this but use monster bait. its an insane increase in stat gain - corralling monsters like that will get you 1.1x or 1.2x at most, where monster baits will get you more like 1.6x exp (and even more if you combine it with the corralling technique - although i dont bother with that since its a pain in the rear end).

secondly with oneshotting - you can do that too. theres a bunch of jobs that are great mob control poo poo. red mage main with black mage sub will cast spells 2x for no extra MP cost. beserker has a great 'attack all enemies for huge damage' at the cost of HP. throw down some braves and go to down.

again, you are spending 2 hours in dungeons and having trouble clearing out mobs with 3000 HP at the tail end of chapter 3. this is an experience very clearly unique to you.

So from the off. I really don't think the issues with dungeon length are unique to me. There are comments up thread about the water cave being too long and I've been chatting with a few people in discord who recognise the same issue.

It takes me maybe two rounds to clear 4-6 mobs at 3k HP. Which I think is probably reasonable. In chapter 3 I was using a BP battery to fuel pressure points from a monk, who would twoshot or oneshot enemies on a crit. Most encounters fall in around a minute.

I've found Red/Black mage to generally be pretty bad because the damage from spells is anemic and costs you MP that could be better spent on buffs for your BP spender classes.

As for Berserker, I used that and found the damage to be lower than what monk was putting out.

In terms of grinding, I still think the easiest system for grinding is the BD1 model of being able to run in circles holding down the y button and killing everything with no player input.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If dungeons take you 2 hours the problem is your party. I just grabbed the first job in Ch2 and that dungeon might've been 30 minutes including time I spent capturing monsters ans testing what their beastmaster effects are (which needs to be in the bestiary or something because come on game) and the enemies were red to me when I started the dungeon, though I picked up 2-3 levels inside. I also have pressure point on 2 characters and the other 2 had body slam so I can 1 round 99% of random encounters. Though if something survives then things can go badly for a few turns but the only way I see a dungeon taking a long time is if I'd run a group with really bad damage output.

Which route did you take? One of those dungeons is absolutely fine and the other is far too long. In Ch2 I was largely oneshotting everything with Pressure Point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

the numbers that monk give you are bigger though! why bother with targeting multiple enemies at once

If you could perhaps assume I know the basics of the upside of Area damage instead of being incredibly condescending then that would be good. I'm in Ch4 and running an auto attack mug/sweep build that one rounds everything. The dungeon I'm in has once again, taken nearly two hours to run through.

I think the dungeon pacing on this is badly off. Even if my build was off the experience of killing full packs in two rounds being so suboptimal as to make a dungeon take four times longer would still be ludicrous by almost any standard.

Mainly I don't think we're actually getting anywhere with discussing this so imma just call it there and try not to respond if I get needled more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's stopping me from putting MP saver on everyone and just sleepwalking the entire game with a party godspeed striking every boss to death

Also just started chapter 4 Sad Gladys died. Weird feeling as she is kind of a Problem, but least she went out in a cool enough way. Lot of the twists had me smirking because on Adelle's backstory and knowing this series. I swear if she backstabs the party then I'm just gonna laugh :v: .
Decided to go after the zombie dude as I hate him the most but I kinda appreciate how diseased some of his line reading is. Still gonna shove him into a locker.

Chapter 3's big final boss but is there any counter to bomb arm? I got my first boss wipe because he just started spamming it relentlessly and gently caress me I guess. Would of lost the second time around but just said gently caress it and godspeed strike spammed him so only Adelle was left alive. Thank god for EXP and JP orbs for catch up :effort:

MP Saver Godspeed Strike: Nothing other than if you got the optional job in ch3 then you can just use that to fuel your MP which gives you a spare slot.

CH 3 boss: Fire resistance/immunity will work so going in loaded with fire charms helps. But honestly it becomes a dps race because of how quickly he generates BP and how offensively he uses it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

I just... how? If you're one rounding things, then each battle is what, 20 seconds, maybe 30? And if you fight enough things, they'll start running away from you? You are on speed 4 for trash encounters, right? You're also using Y to repeat commands, right?

I mean yeah, there are a couple of dungeons that are super long, but those tend to be climactic end chapter areas with multiple places to teleport out to take a break. A lot of dungeons loop back on themselves, which can make getting all the treasures kind of a pain, but even with getting all the treasures it doesn't take that long.

I run at 2x speed because 4x speed gives me a headache. But yes I know all of the above. The important thing to note is, if you just play the game without grinding then enemies will never get to the point that they run away from you in level appropriate dungeons. So you end up fighting everything and even with fights lasting 30 seconds dungeons are long as sin.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I do think that most dungeons are like one floor too long, whether or not enemies are running from you.

Yeah pretty much this. Most could end at the second teleporter and I don't think the game would lose anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I have found a battery strat that rivals what you were able to do in BD1.

This entails jobs from chapter 4.

Get a white mage and give it the weakest axe you have. This should tank your White Mage's accuracy. Equip armour to maximise evasion on your white mage, whilst minimising accuracy gains.

Equip your White Mage with Indiscriminate Rage from Berserker 11. This allows your White Mage to attack all targets with normal attacks in battle.

Equip all your characters with Turn Tables from Phantom 9. This gives a BP every time you evade an attack.

Get a Bard at level 7 minimum and at the beginning of a fight use Right Through Your Fingers with a quad brave. This will amp your evasion to around 32% if you've got the bard passive that amplifies songs.

Have your white mage quad Brave your entire party with an auto attack. It should miss almost every time, generating 4 BP for all your party members, which takes your white mage back and bard out of BP deficit and gives you other two characters 3 BP.

Continue on with 9 BP generated per turn ensuring that you maintain Right Through Your Fingers.

You can enhance this further and make it more reliable by giving your White Mage swordmaster as a sub job to gain Solid Stance at level 1 and double your attacks

I've not had much chance to test it but if there are people who are deep into the game and want to give it a go, give me a yell with the results!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

Just did a fairly unscientific test on a late game fight with unskippable intro cutscenes. My characters ended the fight in 8 actions (2 characters took 4 actions with short animation times - late game job spoilers Minus Strike targeting all, 3x mimic).

From touching the enemy to first input took ~20 seconds (again, this was unskippable, an ordinary fight would have cut this down to ~10 seconds or so)

Speed 4 took ~13 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Speed 2 took ~30 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Of course, counterattacks are going to majorly impact this as well.

I'm not trying to discount your experience, but I do want to point out to other people in the thread that much of your concern with dungeons taking forever is self-imposed. Speed 2 is extremely slow, and even when I'm fighting a boss where I want to know every action/counter that they do, I put it at speed 3.

I appreciate that.

Deep in I'm built perfectly to sweep everything in autos. I did the ch5 final dungeon and timed it to you guessed it, two hours, thirty minutes per segment. But that was honestly a much much better dungeon overall because of how it's split.

It's a difference in philosophy on these games. The fact that these games have tools to bypass the issues I'm having is great. The difficulty slider is to be lauded and even though I don't like the removal of the encounter slider, ward light is a decent substitution. The same can be said of the encounter speed alteration.

But to me if I'm examining a game I need to look at the base experience of what that game looks like absent those. It seems really bizarre that the argument is that I'm playing the game wrong by not running encounters at 4x speed with a build that perfectly sweeps them. Often where I wasn't perfect sweeping for example, I was in a transition period where a lot of my dudes were in jobs to just get JP.

I feel like the game should have its encounter rate/experience/jp curve around the idea that encounters should be meaningful, you shouldn't want to oneround everything and storm through at 4x speed and it's a mark against the game, in my view, that that's the expectation. That's the place that my criticism about pacing is coming from.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

No, the argument is that this is why the dungeons are taking you two hours. If you find that to be a problem, use any of the number of available tools to ameliorate it.

No hold on. The initial criticism I made was that the dungeons are badly paced and take too long. If the argument in response is "Just play perfectly on 4x speed," then I think I'm justified in what I've claimed.

Edit: Sorry that comes across a lot more hostile than I mean it to be. The tools that the game has to fix issues like this are great. But a great part of BD1 and 2 was how well they kept together under default settings and indeed it's true of some of the best RPGs I've played. I think these tools are excellent but aren't a substitute for genuine pacing.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 8, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

DeathSandwich posted:

Keep in mind that Godspeed is really more bonkers for Thf than anything subbed thief because of how crazy high thief speed is - I'm not sure if it's actually keyed to work of weapon damage / enemy defense at all or not because it seems like it's not reduced by the enemy defaulting (skyslash on the other hand can probably be crazy powerful for doing an extra bit of damage barehanded). I can see it doing okay on something like Bard or Ranger that is still decently fast but it won't be nearly as bonkers. For anyone else it's still going to do a lot, but maybe not the 'what the gently caress' amount that thief can do. Especially for the slower tankier dudes you might do alright with sub freelancer and Body Slam since that's keyed off your encumberance, especially as you break into midgame and start getting solutions to regain BP (Vanguard with the RDM +BP revenge and force targetting comes to mind) and to deal with buffed enemies

Godspeed is affected by physical stats, enemy defenses, defaulting and basically everything that a normal weapon attack is affected by. From reading the text the formula is something like physical attack + speed modifier.

It gets even more bonkers as the game progresses. It's very good on Thief but there's even faster stuff deeper in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
How to get Max BP on everyone on turn 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpHyGYAazU

Spoilers for a ch4 class in the video!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A full explanation of the BP build I posted earlier is up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxesMmDI320

There's a quick loadout skip to the end in case you need it!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some team building tips. Early chapter 6 and I'm just not killing things fast enough and things are starting to one shot me.

The boss of chapter 5 took me like 5 tries because she'd just go apeshit and spam nukes and when I won was just 'least that's over.' Got Freelancers up to 15 and swapped back to what I was before to continue leveling up and my monk and arcanist (I think, funny top hat) just die in one shot to everything even though I thought I had them in up to date equipment. Enemies aren't flashing red but I feel so insanely weak :/

Dunno what you're exactly up against but I presume it's the ch6 trash, so I'll recommend a trash build.

Here's an easy one.

Phantom equipped with up to date daggers / Sub swordmaster / Indiscriminate Rage/Mug/Magpie/Counter Savvy/Dual wield. Brave 4 times, activate solid stance and attack 3 times. You'll sweep most boards even if you're underleveled. Equip another character in your party with indiscriminate rage as a backup to clean up any dregs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PageMaster posted:

What's the end game xp grind strategy? I'm at 61 but finally hit a brick wall with (ch6 spoilers) the berserker challenge portal one-shotting my party and I can't do enough damage to him first turn. Even rare monsters are only giving about 5k xp. I can do the other ones, but they give maybe 7k exp and take 3 times as long (though I think I'm set on giant jp orbs).

Also what's a good sub class for vanguard? I had it as my swordmaster sub to get it's specialties but I just got the point where the vanguard on it's own does more damage and has higher weight.

Same thing is happening to me. We've found two strategies of beating it around level 50 or so.

If you max out Salve Maker and Phantom on one character they can Dread/Confusion/Charm/Paralyse bomb your opponents on turn 1 to functionally cripple them while you get to work.

If you max out two Performers then they can use the BP battery strat I listed above to permanently chain Shut up and dance into each other and give you unlimited turns.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's good but the good is riding entirely on the back of how solid the job system concept is for the core of a game.

It feels like a real regression from Bravely Default and especially from Bravely Second which both had a much firmer grasp of things like UI design, QoL improvements and dare I invoke the argument again, pacing.

Even the job system itself is a step back now that I've had time to play with it at the lategame. Where Default and Second very much expected you to break the game; the ways in which you could break the game were meticulously understood. That there are, not one, but two infinite turn setups in this game indicates to me that the implications of the abilities in the job system were much less well understood this time around.

It also plays out in boss fights where the difficulty is derived late from everything just having counter all to gain 1 BP and act with max BP at all times, where Bravely Default for example, created difficulty by performing the exact same tricks the player could perform.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I hope if there's anything everyone can agree on, it's how good the JP curve is

Honestly there are also real problems here. I joked early when I was playing about being in freelancer jail for the prologue and chapter 1 because JP up was the level 12 ability but the way levels and abilities are assigned leads to super weird stuff like Black mage level 11 costing as much as Black Mage 1-10 but rewarding an ability that's no better than Black mage 10 and the same thing is then true again from Black Mage 12.

It's absolutely maddening because the game is still good even with all of this, it just could easily have been great.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah just finished up as well. Beat all the optional stuff apart from one fight I accidentally missed but I honestly can't be bothered with going back for it.

If the game was about half as long I'd have adored it. But by the end I was just very, very done and wanted it to be over.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Inflammatory posted:

okay i beat the (ch6 spoilers) bard/beast/gambler/thief trial without much difficulty but the white mage/vanguard/ranger/red mage trial fight is just loving ridiculous. i'm just gonna say it, counters are a stupid mechanic and the endgame challenge fights in bd1 were infinitely better than this. i might just turn it down to easy because there's nothing fun or engaging about "lol the bosses get free bp every time you do literally anything".

also agree with pretty much everything here. like i know it would've been kinda lame if they'd just pulled the same twists as bd1 but the solution to that is absolutely not to just play every single trope completely straight.

i'm kinda wondering how much actual staff overlap there was between the first two games and bd2 because it feels like the work of an entirely different team that took literally zero notes from the previous team.

I can help with that fight.

So I beat it at level 54 on hard but the only reason it was even possible is because I realised that the Red mage only has two attacking elements, earth and wind. It's actually pretty trivial with the shields you have available (Typhoon Shield / Earth shield and the talismans / armour you have to make your party immune to both elements. (Two levels of resistance will do that). At that point you can pretty safely ignore him and just pour everything into pumping your defense as high as it will go and crippling the Ranger's offense. (Pictomancer/Bard works a treat)

I largely agree though, the way the game derives difficulty is by effectively punishing the player for daring to play the game which is very frustrating sometimes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

I beat every single one of the Asterisk Challenge fights on hard at levels 50-55 (because fighting them leveled me up). I also beat them them in exactly the same way: paralyze/sleep them all with Phantom/Salvemaker and whittle them down with whatever. The hardest ones were Dragoon and Arcanist (not in the same team) because they were immune to both Paralyze and Sleep and spammed all targeting attacks that could kill my entire party instantly. Luckily, reraise exists. Shieldmaster Specialty 1 also lets only one person die, but you still want reraise.

Anyway that's all. You can kill them all like that. I don't know what most of them do.

Yeah I knew about that combo but opted not to use it because it's on the too broken list alongside both infinite turn combos.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What chapter are you in? I'm at the end of 2 and I feel similarly. I've actually flat out done RDM/Bard in a lot of fights because I found the buffs to other members more useful than having a couple of extra elements to hit with, but you do lose poison which actually works on most asterisk holders so far.

I assume once you master either one of the classes and get their passives it makes up for a lot of that. I find RDM just really useful as the do-everything party member but the physical damage dealers do much much more. I know it's unfair to count Godspeed Strike but 1 turn and 100 mana for ~5k vs. 1 turn and 40 mana for a fira that doesn't crack 1k is not a great feeling. Magic can target all but at this point so can a berserker

Magic in general is just pretty garbage for damage in this game. The best thing you get is the mastery from RDM but none of it is ever going to compete with the insanity that the physical classes pull out. MDef in general just feels way too high.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

fadam posted:

What's this status applying build that's really busted I'm hearing about?

There are two that revolve around the same idea.

Spoilers for Ch4 jobs and combos.

Phantom 12 guarantees that any effect with a %Chance of hitting will always hit. You combine this with either salve maker bombs or red mage AoE spells with Nuisance to guarantee status effect applications on your target. Doing this with paralyse and sleep in particular will cripple any asterisk fight almost completely.

Pollyanna posted:

I am extremely sad that I read this and the previous few posts, minus the other posts’ spoilered parts. :cripes: The weird and cool poo poo they did in BD1 (and to a much lesser extent in BS) is one of the big draws for Bravely Default for me. If they don’t have that, then why am I playing this game?

Might put the game down for a while now.

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?

Bravely Second! In all seriousness you're not going to get the job systemy goodness from anywhere else really. I think the last game to go off on metanarrative like that that I played was VII:R.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

fadam posted:

Isn’t tips for the Arcanist/Painter/Berserker fight? Feels like almost al their attacks just insta kill.

It depends on your level and where your BP is allocated. When I encountered them they would just instantly kill my team before i could act unless I lucked with a 1/10 and absent grinding I didn't have the ability to survive the attack.

So I just set up an unlimited turn combo and murdered them.

One friend of mine had success using the Phantom/Salve maker status effect application combo to cripple their offense long enough to get Buffs from Bard and Debuffs from pictomancer rolling hard enough to make his team invincible.

If you're high enough level you can just set up Godspeed characters on all 4 of your guys and nuke down the opponents before they get to mess you up too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
BD1 had a pretty consistent situation where as you progressed further the asterisk holders became nicer and nicer until they were tolerable or downright lovable.