Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
How worth is Bannerlord over Warband? Fired up Warband again the other day and am wondering whether it's worth splashing out for the new one. Am I right in thinking there are way less mods for Bannerlord compared to the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just as a point but longbow archers were not peasants but also professional soldiers. Longbow archers were often from the middle class landowning ranks and went to war as a feudal obligation (one of the points of feudalism being that peasants *don't* fight) and to get paid, both by wages and plunder.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
loving hell just had to save scum about 10 times to do a forest bandit hideout at level 4

Very gratifying to look online after and see people saying it's very hard

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Once I got the strategy down it's fine. The main problem was the fact that

1. I didn't realise your archers by default are set to "hold fire"
2. The end boss is brutal if you've already lost most of your guys and hit points as your dudes won't charge otherwise

Lot of trial and error to realise what you're supposed to do but ***that's Mount & Blade***

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does the game keep freezing for like, 60 second for anyone else? Is that just part of the EA charm

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

litany of gulps posted:

Don't the forest bandit bosses carry a giant glaive? Once you hit a certain point, you'll have an even bigger glaive or axe, then you always just choose the duel option and one shot the boss with your absurd two hander before they can react.

Sure but I was level 4 at the time and brought a shield to deal with the archer spam

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
"Hello merchant! Me and my compatriots would like to buy all of your food and take it outside of the city walls. Please ignore the sound of siege towers being constructed outside."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does anyone have a list of goon recommended mods? People have mentioned the smithing stamina one and I assume Diplomacy, anything else good people are using?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I find cavalry is a lot easier to command here than Warband since they will charge, peel off and charge again with just one "charge" order. In Warband they would charge in and then flail away in the most pit while getting owned by infantry.

You can always get your cav unit to follow you and lead then in and out of the fight if that's what you want.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think they'll still plow in when they run out of arrows though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The true Freelancer experience is grinding your way up to becoming an elite troop, then deserting with top level gear and joining your employer's sworn enemy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah I was looking for a way to do that, mostly so I can keep my surgeon away from the front line Infantry formation

So much of this game is trying to figure out whether an option truly doesn't exist Vs the game just being opaque and hiding it from you

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Why why why can you not save after doing the first bit of a bandit hideout but before fighting the boss. So annoying when you can perfect the main bit and then have to do it all again because you hosed up slightly on the leader during the duel/mass melee. Especially if your character is a cavalry dude and so has poo poo athletics!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's just you being a sucker for fighting the fight. Real kings run away and then stab the bandits in the back while your units face tank the boss.

It seems to be massively dependent on which bandits you're facing. Mountain and Forest bandit bosses are a piece of piss with just a one hander and shield, even if your dude sucks with those. The Sea Raider boss with his 2 hander axe and huge armor just totally fucks me up. Eventually just sent my guys in and they cleared up but would have preferred to not have to slog through the first bit multiple times with my molasses slow running speed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

dogstile posted:

I duel because i've yet to face a bandit than can take the "shield bash, stab in face" combo.

I started up a Sturgeon permadeath sandbox game, which i've never done before. I'm barely into throwing and I can do 700 damage with harpoons by hitting dudes in the head? gently caress bow's, this is where it's at.

Deffo doing Sturgian after my current Vlandian row. Going to be all coy underneath my chainmail veil, before I cleave people in half horse and all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

aparmenideanmonad posted:

As someone with thousands of hours of M&B combat, I don't want to just drop :gitgud: and walk out, but if you're struggling in a duel with a bandit chief, turn on auto block direction, turn down difficulty, or just do some arena brawls to help get a better feel for blocking and timing swings. Focus on blocking and then striking after successful blocks. Chamber blocking, fancy footwork, high end gear, and big character stats/skills are not needed to 1v1 any of the AI in this game.

Maybe I just need to spend time in the arena yeah - I think my main annoyances were that the sea raider boss seems way, way harder than the other bandit bosses, and the inordinate amount of time you lose if you gently caress up that one fight.

I will say I'm finding Bannerlord combat a lot more unforgiving than Warband in some respects? 2 handed especially all my Warband reflexes seem to be loving me up on horseback and foot - I'm expecting my weapon to be longer than it is I think and so swinging and missing a lot as I just can't quite get the range right.

The shield bash + stab in face tactic won me a tournament though so thanks for that whoever that was.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CuddleCryptid posted:

Axes can cleave in vanilla? I've seen cleave mods online and have never seen any other weapon do it so I assumed that cleave wasn't a thing.

I think someone mentioned earlier that they did, and this was one of axe's few advantages due to cut damage being by far the worst against armour.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
You would have thought it would have been put along with the other special abilities like the bonus against shields but ***that's Bannerlord!***

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love it when I want to compare items and it assumes that all the 2-handed swords in my inventory will be used 2 handed, but the default for any sword I am carrying is that I will be one handing it. Perfect, no notes

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

bltzn posted:

welp finally conquered all of calradia

now what

Drink yourself to death while watching your ungrateful kids fritter away your family money and honour

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Was struggling to get smithing parts by smelting random crap I looted from battles. Started looping crafting then smelting the highest tier 2 handed sword I could, currently getting a new part every time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shear Modulus posted:

When it says the villagers are starving in the village menu text that just means the village is poor. The only economic statistic that villages have is "hearths" (ie households) which goes up automatically with time, and a higher value increases the food it supplies to the town and I think the amount of goods it produces. The hearths go to like 0 when the village gets raided by enemies. I think the only way to give hearths a boost is with the town projects.

I think the villages should be self-sufficient in food but if you see in the village's trade inventory that they're out of food items you should be able to sell them some to plug the gap.

I believe the "Village needs tools/draft animals/grain" quests also add hearths

Doing quests for your village in general is probably a good idea

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Unlocked the voulge head and its hilarious how much more powerful it is on horseback than anything else. 400+ damage per hit and you barely have to aim.

I know it was similar in Warband but it's a bit disappointing that the balance seems to be so off here, there's a bunch of stuff that's just head and shoulders above the rest to do (smithing, horseback archer + polearm, Fians) that its hard to justify doing anything else.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ravenfood posted:

I'd suggest you look at smithing yourself a two-handed axe instead of the polearm, tbh. At some point you do enough damage to just outright kill people like with polearms, but two-handed axes get cleave. If I'm doing archer drive-bys I can kill two or sometimes three people per swing.

Also i suspect a very high ranking javelin character can put out comparable kills as an archer can, but I haven't tried it. Being able to ignore shields sounds so good.

I literally haven't unlocked any 2 handed axe pieces (aside from the default 2 annoyingly)

I've heard mixed things about axes anyway, some people seem to say the damage is mediocre but others like the cleave? Will give it a go when I can anyway.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I wonder how effective it would be to get noble heavy cav and order them to dismount in battle? Would be historically accurate! I am assuming that lovely Athletics would be the killer there (plus cost).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Streamers love FTL and Among Us I feel like SS14 will do fine

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Workshops can get you 150-200 denars each and if you get the Trade 25 perk that gives 15% less penalty when trading items you can make a living looting and selling stuff.

A lot of the quests are worth it early too especially for grinding Charm as well.

Edit: agree that caravans are not worth it, you never make back what you get in. Workshops are worth it just for the constant trickle but you have to set up a decent one which often involves switching type.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CuddleCryptid posted:

This may be completely off base but I had thought I remembered that the auto calculations heavily weigh ranged attackers and assume they use all of their arrows, so a looter that lands all of their lovely rocks would take out at least a few people.

I thought it was the opposite - melee is by far better in auto-resolve so having ranged stuff is worse.

Also a guy did experiments and showed that just loading the battle and having your guys charge while you did nothing got much better results than using auto-resolve despite being basically the same.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The important thing to know that is very not obvious is that you get XP for your main levels by doing any skill related stuff.

Therefore to max the amount of XP you get and therefore maximise focus points and attributes you want to be doing all the stuff you can that levels up skills:

- Don't delegate Scout/Surgeon/Engineer/Quartermaster so you get all the XP for those skills
- Make sure you have a max size party and all food types to level Steward. Max party size also helps a lot of skills like Medicine and Tactics which level by you troops getting hurt/doing damage respectively.
- Fight enemies yourself (unless you are trying to train your troops) especially by doing long range bow/crossbow shots on foot and horseback. Sieges are perfect especially for levelling Athletics which is pretty brutal.
- Avoid autoresolving battles, it can save IRL time but is suboptimal for earning XP
- Complete quests for lords to level Charm
- Form armies to level Leadership (especially if you can have a companion form a party and then invite them for free)
- Some skills actually level faster the more levels you have in them; Scouting is the poster child here since you earn XP for finding tracks, and the higher your Scouting the more tracks you find. So it can be a good idea to focus on this early to earn XP more efficiently.

Those skills you can generally get in the course of the game, things like Trade & Roguery you might have to go more out of your way to grind specifically. Usually for skills there's a cheesy way to grind up quickly if you're into that sort of thing.

Importantly the XP for you main level isn't dependent on your multiplier rate for the skill, and you still get XP if you've hit the skill cap, so don't stop doing things like having max food and party size even if you've hit the Steward cap as you'll still earn main level XP. Expect things to get really, really slow around level 32 though.

I'd also say that generally it's more important to focus on the party skills like Steward, Leadership and Medicine with your attributes - you can still be a killing machine at pretty low levels of the combat skills especially once you have decent gear.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Freudian slippers posted:

I picked this up a little while ago and have been having a blast so far, but can anyone tell me if workshops have been recently nerfed? All online guides say they print money, but mine are making around 100 bucks a day. I bought a brewery in Sanala and an olive press somewhere else and even bought up one or two local competitors and changed their business before selling them. I've had them for over a month now and am not that impressed. I'd like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if this has stopped being the money press it apparently once was. How much are you guys currently making on your workshops?

If you get a decent one you can get up to 200 denars a day, but you might need to shop around and change the type of the workshop you buy.

A lot of guides tell you to buy the workshop that has the most raw material access from villages, but really what you want to do is find the manufactured good an area has a shortage of. For example a silversmith in Rovalt or Ostican can be a good earner because there is a silver ore village in between them, and no other silver ore + silversmith combination elsewhere in the kingdom. There's also a Steward and Trade perk that increase output and reduces wages respectively.

Also if there's a war on or lots of banditry village parties and caravans might be getting hosed up which impacts workshop production. Getting workshops in towns far away from the front line can help as those towns should stay more prosperous.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

How long has the faction been out of commission? In Warband, at least, the entire faction had to be reduced to no towns or castles for a certain period of time before it was finally declared finished.

I don't think this ever happens - in my latest game Sargot rebelled but was then retaken, and the rebel lords are still running around years later.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

DasNeonLicht posted:

The only problem I think this solves is "oops, I forgot to reset my troop classifications before the battle," but yeah, the new system needs to be more precise.

I don't know how anyone levels melee troops in a focused way without dumping junk equipment for experience now — thanks to someone for mentioning it a page or so back

I do one of two things:

- if my infantry outnumbers the enemy by a good bit, have archers hold fire and advance the infantry in. If you want to level recruits and your higher tier infantry also have throwing weapons, have them hold fire too.

- if you're fighting a decent sized force, have archers whittle down the enemy till you get to a manageable number, then do the above.

Grinding through recruits is not the worst since having massive attrition will level your Medicine relatively quickly and that skill can be a pain to level.

Also make sure you get Combat Tips (Leadership 25) since this increases the level of all your recruits that match your culture which obviously helps a lot.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
You can put a mounted companion as the leader of a formation on foot, but if you want a companion to be counted as a rank and file infantry/archer they need to be on foot at the start of the battle (i.e. remove their horse from inventory).

If you don have any horse archers outside of companions you could make a combined foot archer/horse archer group but that's pretty niche.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

dogstile posted:

What's the calculation for "how many things can i herd before i slow down".

There's gently caress all in game about it and the forums posts are all old. Granted i'm not a vassal right now so i'm very happy just going at 1.0 herding my 1000 horses, but at some point i'll probably want to speed this trader run up.

I believe every soldier can handle 1 animal and ride 1 horse before you start getting herding penalties. Don't forget pigs/cows/sheep also count in this regard.

Also there are perks that help you with it if you don't have them already

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

SolarFire2 posted:

The AI in this game frustrates me to no end. The winning strategy is to create 'superstack' armies of 1200+ guys, but the AI just keeps popping out armies of 6-700 no matter how many times they get completely wrecked.

The ai gets a huge boost of troops whenever they have to reform their party, which is why it's so difficult to knock them down for long. There's a mod that makes so lords follow the same rules as you for rebuilding parties, but it makes the game much, much easier.

You can also take the high level Riding and Scouting perks Mounted Patrol and Keen Sight, which in combination makes it impossible for enemy lords to escape your party. So you can just hoover them up and never have to worry about them forming new armies again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

DasNeonLicht posted:

on this subject, it seems like enemy parties should be surrendering or trying to flee from the start more often — too many outcomes are...

Player: 0 casualties
Enemy: 90–95% KIA

...all from the AI running hundreds of meters directly into withering arrow fire or a line of elite infantry?

maybe Calradia is governed by some weird Bushido or "not one step backwards" commanders, but bandit genocide on this level is so unrealistic it feels unethical

Iirc this is function of the enemy commanders Tactics skill - bandits have 0 so will just always charge at the start of battle, but enemy commanders with an actual Tactics score will do better. No idea exactly how it works or if it's just "above Tactics score X actually give orders"

Like anything in this game theres a mod to improve it, specifically the AI portion of Realistic Battle Mod

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
With bows it really depends when you're talking about as well. Massed bowmen in the Persian army around 500bc are going to have very different uses & tactics than longbowmen in the 14th century English army.

This is a great video showing how good medieval armour was at defeating arrows shot even at short range. Nobody was firing arcing volleys and doing jack poo poo, at least in this period.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...SEx19qgq9r4ESHb

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
One of the issues with weapons is that smithing both makes you way more money than everything else and gives you access to better weapons, earlier. Unlock a T5 axe or polearm head and it doesn't matter what armour you're wearing, a 150+ cut damage weapon is going to one shot anyone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

GruntyThrst posted:

It's nice to see polearms be *good* in a game for once though because hey, they were the primary weapon melee of choice for all of human history (until the gun was developed enough to make melee combat obsolete) for a reason

Well, *spears* were the primary melee weapon, sure. And spears on foot suck absolute dogshit, in vanilla at least. All the worst troop types in the game are the dedicated spearmen (looking at you, Vlandian Pikeman, whose pike is shorter than the Sergeants one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I managed to win a siege defence against 5:1 odds and it came down to a 1v1 duel between my guy and the last enemy (my guy won)

poo poo ruled