Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
first post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

washington state feeling good

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

rip, condolences

Your writing on this is great

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mantis42 posted:

Ayyye im chokin' here! I'm dyin' of roni heeere!! Ayyye fuggedabboutit

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
As Ecuador is, so shall we be. Since cremation is expensive and takes many hours per body, I assume the best thing to do with all the bodies is to gather them by truck in as much protective gear as you can wear, lifting them up in tarps and loading them and trucking them to a mass grave. It's going to be on our own city dwellers to do that themselves as volunteers in a few weeks or else Ecuador will happen here too.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sing Along posted:

a lot of people are posting tweets that are supposed to be satire, but satire right now is just a bad idea. stephen miller doesn't have coronavirus and the senator did not buy body bag stock

There's no proof that that PPE company *doesn't* produce body bags, and the rest of the story has been corroborated by a news article

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Everyone in D&D and QCS are eunuchs and their mods are pedos, though, so gently caress those spineless, dickless weebs.

Go BoJo, drown in your own fluids you bozo fuckman.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Wow

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
MadJackal you're a good person

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I want to make one of those posts that ages poorly

like a comment on how I've been at home comfortable for a few weeks and it's mostly been okay. not sure what the big deal is supposed to be.

that should do it.

Don't worry there's no shortage of those already all over the entire internet

Everyone is going to be scrubbing their social media frantically this year. I recommend screenshotting anyone who was being particularly awful for when they try to deny it later

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Frog Act posted:

things have previously been great but this is a very good point, like, this is something I never imagine could be an issue and is of such profound existential importance I’m really questioning everything right now

It's happening to a ton of relationships and friendships right now. People who are normally useful to keep around prove themselves to be total useless idiots with normalcy bias during a crisis, and let everyone know that they're liabilities.

Being alone just in time for quarantine would be real lovely, and you should put up with a lot to avoid that, but certainly not clear risk of death.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

convert this whole thread into a preprint

TRPMUR!!!!!!!!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Rexicon1 posted:

lol the cops here in Houston would gladly evict you within hours.

gotta get a court proceeding done first, right?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Piggy Smalls posted:

I don’t see stuff getting better. I keep expecting to see good news but it’s not getting better. the world is imploding.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I mean, I squatted in a house in LA for many extra months pending eviction, months after all my housemates had already left, because the landlord wanted to let the house foreclose and go up for sale as part of an elaborate grift. No police ever came to bother me, but I'm not black either so

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

https://www.mnhrl.com/mortality%28c...lLAEMFTd932uxoA

cool animated graph about BCG, scroll down to "English Version"

not sure I agree with the data but it's a cool form of graph, does anyone know how this sort of thing is done?

Yeah, usually data animations of this sort are done with Michael Bostock's D3.js package

Here's a beautiful gallery the things, a whole hell of a lot of different types of cool interactive/animated widgets that animate on some dummy datasets

https://observablehq.com/@d3/gallery

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Apr 10, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

sweet, thanks

The thing you saw is probably just adapted from a D3.js code template called "bar chart race" on there, one of the first examples

https://observablehq.com/@d3/bar-chart-race

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oompa loompa doompa SARS 2
The rich can reserve a ventilator or two

Oompa loompa COVID 19
Only billionaires get ECMO machines

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Question for anyone who knows Soviet history: Why didn't the nukes go off at any point when the USSR collapsed and balkanized, even as all the former Soviet states continued to have non-peaceful times?

Did Russia manage to secure all the nukes out of the countries that broke off?

Because now the other shoes (US empire) is about to drop and there are more nukes than ever to keep track of.

Was it because the Western world still standing during the USSR collapse, and was so busy making lucrative trade deals with Russia that a total breakdown of order into warlordism was avoided?

Could China fulfill that same role on the destroyed US empire to prevent it from decaying to the point that warlords/former military start fighting over the nukes while setting them off?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

dex_sda posted:

1 in 300 is going too far but yes it's likely that with asymptomatics included the rate is below 1%. So multiply by a hundred and you got a good idea.

No, we have no idea about this, because what we're about to experience is unprecedented -- a population that completely lacks BCG immunizations nor any basic healthcare with tons of untreated illness, and a peak that totally overwhelms the hospital capacity by orders of magnitude more people than anywhere else so far too

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Xaris posted:

hows number doing

not that one

the other one

Good

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Shipon posted:

the last part isn't actually true. america's healthcare system, for all it's faults, has more ICU beds per capita than any other country (except germany, but we still beat them out a bit), even if overall hospital beds are lower per capita.

Yeah but that's why I didn't say per capita. Just by orders of magnitude more people. Having a swell of that size is going to have knock-on effects compared to other places. Bigger population = bigger problem. Some systems will be more affected by that swell than others.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, it's incredibly difficult to give a hotel money and receive a keycard or key to a room. Especially when they're struggling with record low occupancy and the money is coming from a government account.

he's talking about means testing isn't he

oh god

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Steve Yun posted:

You’re throwing $100 to a small business that might help keep a person employed another day, not a bad way to spend money right now

Uhhhh doesn't the virus stay perfectly viable after freezing

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

cosmin posted:

where’s the happy thread? i have a very bookmark/un-bookmark relationship with this thread, could go with some feel-good takes every once in a while

Here!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846624

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

fosborb posted:

presumably people are buying cooked food for takeout

Cooked food that a human packed up into a box after cooking while breathing on it...

Don't freeze that poo poo, cook it again at home

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

cosmin posted:

wow it actually exists, i thought it’s just some c-spam in-joke

Welcome! We need stories now more than ever so if you've got 'em, bring 'em!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

cosmin posted:

32 yo, i’ve battled cancer last year, it’s my 1 year anniversary since finishing chemoradiotherapy and nearing my 1 year anniversary since surgery, all things look good and I’m happy and thankful for every day I spend with my family, coronavirus or not.

It’s somehow amazing that this is actually happening and for me, following last year, feels like i’m just daydreaming or watching a fictionalized version of my life and universe.

don’t know if it’s that much of a feelgood story (didn’t feel like it’d be a good intro for “the happy thread”), i myself see it as one and basically just take whatever comes and roll with it, most of it is out of our control anyways

Yeah that's pretty much perfectly in theme if you want! That's wonderful!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's true about re-heating frozen food will surely make it safe. Be careful with it when it's on the way into and out of the freezer. Don't touch all over the freezer bag and then touch your mouth and nose.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Apr 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Surface spreading is a real thing; there was that case of transmission that got tracked in China, where someone simply sat in the same train seat that someone else had vacated an hour prior, and got COVID from contact with it. Food is just another surface someone could have breathed on; treat it and all packaging accordingly.

When you order delivery, assume that sandwich or whatever got breathed on by multiple people during assembly and touched with a whole lot of hands (gloved or not) before making its way to you.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean I also thought recent evidence in general is that surface spread is much less common than we thought and the airborne droplet spread is a lot more common/easy

Who knows, the WHO even contradicted itself about aerosol spread being real, even as tons of seemingly proven cases exist (the cruise ships that all do so badly with their shared ventilation; the whole choir in LA who caught it by singing in the same room even while social distancing). Be safer than any stupid "official" guidance says to be

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Remember, sandwiches don't assemble themselves!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, don't forget that viable virus survived for 17 days on the Diamond Princess! Just because we haven't found proven cases of surface transmission more than like an hour old doesn't mean that they're not happening, it just means that it would be incredibly difficult or impossible to prove that it happened. Like many things about the virus, there's just no way of knowing. Who knows if more people are getting it from a stray breeze versus a surface touched by somebody in the crowd who is long gone.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

not an endorsement posted:

aerosols demonstrated to stay in the air for up to 3 hours with Most Ideal Conditions and Tiniest Possible Droplets, for what its worth -- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

(the issue is also that they settle down, of course)

That link was a good read, too

What do you mean about settling down?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

poty posted:

everything is a risk. getting takeout is a bit riskier than cooking your own food from things in your house. every time you spend an hour outside in the sunshine and every time you eat red meat you increase your chance of getting skin/digestive cancers by some thousandths of a percent.

Yeah but that's different obviously; although we can't reduce our risk in our normal lives to zero, this is not our normal lives. This is quarantine. If everybody takes pains to reduce their risk to actual zero for a couple of weeks, that's it, the pandemic is over. You CAN avoid catching the virus if you just do the bare minimum of not taking known risks of any scale at all. If everyone had just locked down when I did (around 3/06), and went to the minimal effort of sealing themselves in only as well as I did, the pandemic would be over by now.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

ryanrs posted:

I have a serious heart condition and live with my mom who is 75. So we are taking extreme precautions. Dry goods go into grocery quarantine for a week or so. Stuff that needs refrigeration/freezing gets wiped with dilute bleach. Vegetables, esp stuff like lettuce, is mostly just luck and hoping for the best. No takeout, no grocery shopping (we have family members do it for us, increasing their own risk). It's hard.

Vegetables are easily washable with soap and water. My wife ordered a surprise fridgeload of fruits and produce the other week and once it arrived I treated the fabric bag like it was full of virus, and spent the next 3 hours taking things out of it and washing them off with ample soap, leaving them to dry on the counter. Small stuff that was in plastic bags got the bag filled with soap water and drained. Dry stuff went into a quarantine closet like you said.

Fun fact: Cabbage does not have to take up fridge space and lasts FOREVER. I always knew that cut lettuce wilts within a day so I never bought it, but if you take a cabbage and just put the bottom in a bowl with a little water and leave it out in the light, it lasts about a month. We got a huge Napa cabbage and it has just been an endless source of greens on our counter for sandwiches and more.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

This is apparently a respected war journalist in Mexico. Look at what else he's saying

https://twitter.com/ioangrillo/status/1248470661682479106

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

fermun posted:

i think you're probably referring to this 4 hour bus ride, which is even scarier. someone in a seat across the aisle and 1 row up on the return trip got infectred!

I know that incident too, but it was separate! The two individuals were not even on the train at the same time.

edit: Oh, it might have been the pink person

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Apr 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More on cabbage -- Put the cabbage root down in a big bowl of water on your counter and just leave it there. Don't put too much water in, and if it starts to turn gross drain it and dry it. But don't let it stay dry either.

You can peel off the outermost leaves as you want to use them up, or as they turn color (they'll get old first).

It might bloom and flower and the cabbage still tastes like cabbage. Napa cabbages are about three times the size of normal cabbages and are delicious this way. I had no idea I could just have greens around the house all the time without being paranoid about them spoiling / going to waste after a day.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Can someone help me out here, I want to see one of those charts again that compared several patients over time, and which symptoms each patient had starting on which day. Can't find the image anymore. Most that I see don't drill the data down to individual patients.

If I remember right, headache and fever tended to be the first two to present themselves in the most patients, even before cough or tightness. I want to double check because my wife has had a mild fever and headache for 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Yes, that's the most recent one I saw, thank you. Looks like headache's not on there. Another one I saw listed more types of symptoms, published by China very early on IIRC.

Does headache typically come early on in the progression? A first symptom? It's reassuring to see that coughing was most people's first symptom on the image because my wife's not coughing today, but is coughing present first for everybody?

I already asked her if her taste/smell changed, she said they're working great :unsmith: