Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He's still got it! Joe Kucan is great.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Someone explain how he looks the same as he did 25 years ago :tinfoil:.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bald ppl don't age like the rest of us.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Must be the tiberium vaping.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Flannelette posted:

Someone explain how he looks the same as he did 25 years ago :tinfoil:.

He looks the same as he did 2000 years ago, my dude.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
GDI or NOD?

Note: there is only one right answer

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Gotta admit, I always preferred the GDI units at least in C&C1. Shameful I know

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Mordja posted:

GDI or NOD?

Note: there is only one right answer

I prefer the GDI units, but I'm going to play the NOD campaign first.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
So is it out yet?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Sheen Sheen posted:

So is it out yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
30 minutes left before it unlocks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They pulled the article because I guess there's an embargo, but I saw the headline for wccftech's review calling it something along the lines of "the perfect remaster."

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

A part is still up in the google cache:
https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=nl

quote:

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection Review – The Best Remaster
By Chris Wray
3 seconds ago
SHARE TWEET SUBMIT
I'm starting to feel like I'm in a bit of an alternate reality version of our history at the moment. Is this 2014, but rather than a load of games getting a remaster or touchup for the PS4 and Xbox One, as they did in our universe, it's the PC that is getting the remasters. From the fantastic Catherine to the somewhat poorly received Warcraft III: Reforged and the excellent Saints Row: The Third to the dreadful Mafia II. The previous year and a half have seen a litany of old games getting at least some new treatment. Command & Conquer Remastered may very well be the best of them all.

Taking from The Secret of Monkey Island remake, Command & Conquer Remastered has been made in a way that also shows how much has been done to improve what are two games, one that is twenty-five years old and another that's twenty-four years old. Not only do you get visual improvements, but you also have UI, usability, networking and so much more. Command and Conquer Remastered Collection is something special and it's cheap to boot.

Want to know something that took me a little by surprise? I don't remember Command & Conquer being this difficult. So when playing I've gone and completed the NOD campaign in Tiberian Dawn and then spent my time across GDI and both factions in Red Alert. I can't help but find that I'm struggling with this a lot more than I did in the original releases. Maybe my memory is failing me and I always struggled. Maybe I'm just getting rubbish at games as my body slowly decays, falling victim to the passage of time. I'm honestly not sure.

What I am sure of is that the brand new ability to select a difficulty level is a saving grace. I'm somewhat disappointed in myself that I had to go on casual mode for a few missions (one of which will be in the video attached to this review). Still, if it's providing a challenge, it seems the remaster comes with an improved AI, one that will be more than happy to offer a challenge. This is especially true in missions that have you in a very restricted position and with only the most ideal of actions being suitable.

I suppose that's actually my first complaint - the learning curve and maybe being too true to the originals as the difficulty as you hit the second-third of missions is sky-high. I've found myself telling the game to f-off a few times. I've just got a base with the limited units gave to me and then a huge army is crawling on my doorstep, making the mission seem impossible. Casual difficulty, here I come. Red Alert doesn't seem to have suffered from this to the same level, the learning curve a little smoother, everything just that bit more approachable and easier to use.

This doesn't mean things aren't a little dated at points. This is still a game older than practically all professional eSports players and the vast majority of influencers. It's a dinosaur and it shows. From niggly elements in Tiberian Dawn like the inability to build anything more than one space from a currently placed building to unit pathfinding across the two titles, leaving something to be desired. Sure, one of your units has blocked a ford as it's crossing, but that doesn't mean the rest of the army should turn around and head for the insanely defended bridge.

So there are a few issues from the old still left in, but what about the things that have changed? There's a hell of a lot of that, let's make it clear. As you'll be able to see from the above two screenshots, part of what's changed but also still the same is the way the game looks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flannelette posted:

I only just found out that RA2 (and I guess Tib sun) has a simple physics system that never really effects the game but you can flip over tanks by doing very very specific things and it will kill them.

Where did you find this out and how can I do it

E: I mean I know you can see them go up one one tread on occasion, especially from grand cannons. Never seen them flip

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I remember that, though it might have only come up in mods. Basically if you had frequent enough explosions next to a tank it would rock the voxel and eventually tip over and die.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 5, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that, though it might have only come up in mods. Basically if you had frequent enough explosion next to a tank it would rock the voxel and eventually tip over and die.

I remember the big defensive cannons in vanilla RA2 could almost flip over some vehicles.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sininu posted:

I remember the big defensive cannons in vanilla RA2 could almost flip over some vehicles.

grand cannons usually 1-2 shot anything.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay that remastered 'installer' was amazing and very faithful to the original

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
aaaaaaa

The presentation when first booting up. The 90s EA logo, WESTWOOD logo and video.

THis is good.

GDI, mission one, lets hear act on instinct loud.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

grand cannons usually 1-2 shot anything.

Not when they invulnerable from Iron Curtain.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Full disclosure, I haven't bought this yet, just waiting a couple hours to make sure people don't report that it's actually a technical mess. Let me know, gang!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mordja posted:

Full disclosure, I haven't bought this yet, just waiting a couple hours to make sure people don't report that it's actually a technical mess. Let me know, gang!

it's amazing and the mission scripting is faithful to the original from my quick tests at all the quirks i know of, i'll know more tomorrow when i start pulling apart the mission files to see if they fixed any of the old bugs i found in missions or left them broken.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Seriously the startup intro is so good lol

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

its good poo poo

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

You weren't kidding, that was a goddamn treat! I'm glad they kept that in and expanded on it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Enemy harvesters are starting at half health

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I haven't played a C&C game since Tiberian Sun. How wackadoo does the story get after that?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

night danger posted:

I haven't played a C&C game since Tiberian Sun. How wackadoo does the story get after that?

Read this thread and find out!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914433

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
That intro is maximum 1995.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I looked over the system requirements, which seem ridiculously high, but you have to have Windows 8 or 10?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Spookydonut posted:

Did they do it? Did they make something that feels like the original installers? Both of them?

E:

...I've been waiting for this release for months, and it's not until now I see that it's with Petroglyph at the helm. :stare:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
AI image upscaling can only do so much

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Played the first couple of Red Alert missions and I instantly went back in time to when I was 8 years old playing this on the family computer. Game good, go buy it

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

THE BAR posted:

Did they do it? Did they make something that feels like the original installers? Both of them?

E:

...I've been waiting for this release for months, and it's not until now I see that it's with Petroglyph at the helm. :stare:

The Tiberian Dawn installer even shows the sound card selection and even placed the old sound blaster at the top, which is accurate as I remember.

Played a 15 min skirmish before I head back to work and I am very happy with this.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
ouchies, why couldnt they use the same rendering they used for the installer for this

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The intro is incredible, that setup video was weirdly one of the things that stands out the most for me about the game and I got literal goosebumps during their recreation of it. I'm still very bad at this game and can't wait to get stomped by my tryhard friends over and over again. This is really good poo poo and I haven't even booted up RA yet :allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I know a bunch have already said it but I loving loved that intro. I only played for like ten minutes but this is great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

Seems good on this front btw. The FMV up-scaling looks a little wonky but that's to be expected I guess

I'm kind of blown away by how much I remember every second of all these video interludes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yo this is even better than I expected, and I was super hyped

MMF Freeway posted:

Seems good on this front btw. The FMV up-scaling looks a little wonky but that's to be expected I guess

I'm kind of blown away by how much I remember every second of all these video interludes

Yeah the FMV looks janky in certain scenes but the comparison videos really show off how awful the source material was. IIRC somebody used the same AI technique to upscale RA2 videos and it looks a lot better there, probably because they weren't so low-res from the beginning.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1jA0C8uJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i've been running into some mission bugs that werent in the original, gdi commando mission the chinook just flew right at the enemy base and died to sam sites instead of landing at the flare.

also i'm guessing the b roll stuff that joe gave them is why the ai upscaling is really good for some videos (that have a lot of b roll) and really bad for others (that dont).