Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wizards looked at muggle witch trials where they drown and torture people to prove they're witches and took entirety the wrong lesson from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pumpinglemma posted:

IIRC Neville’s first accidental magic happened when his uncle was dangling him out of a high window trying to scare him into triggering it and then accidentally let go (he bounced). That was the last in a long line of incidents of them trying to scare him into doing magic, because they were worried he might be a squib who was incapable of doing any magic at all. So… if he had been a squib they’d have spent his entire childhood torturing him followed by killing him. The Longbottoms are one of the designated Good Guy wizarding families, and this is never treated as anything more than an amusing family anecdote.

I had to google it real quick, his great-uncle dropped him out of a third floor window because he was distracted by the offer of lemon meringue, which was more important than not killing the kid. He had also previously tossed Neville off Blackpool pier and nearly drowned him. For those not familiar, the pier at Blackpool is 50 feet out of the water at low tide and gains 35 feet of water at the high, so he tossed the kid three stories into the ocean at minimum, ~500 yards from shore if it was at the pierhead.

His grandmother, who was entirely cool with this behavior on his uncle's part, also sent him to school with his Dad's wand for five years despite his grades being poo poo and him being harassed by teachers and students as useless because of it. Which, like Ron's hand me down, would be another Dahl-like amusing family anecdote if Rowling hadn't decided her plot capstone was going to be all about weird wand-lore bullshit about how vital it is that a wand choose its allegiance to a wizard.

I think the Longbottoms may have actually treated him worse than Sirius was treated by his parents, and they were outright wizard nazis who hated the little poo poo for not being enough of a bigot and actively wanted him dead.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2023

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
being a wizard is cool+fun and that's all that matters in this life

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Liquid Communism posted:

I had to google it real quick, his great-uncle dropped him out of a third floor window because he was distracted by the offer of lemon meringue, which was more important than not killing the kid. He had also previously tossed Neville off Blackpool pier and nearly drowned him. For those not familiar, the pier at Blackpool is 50 feet out of the water at low tide and gains 35 feet of water at the high, so he tossed the kid three stories into the ocean at minimum, ~500 yards from shore if it was at the pierhead.

His grandmother, who was entirely cool with this behavior on his uncle's part, also sent him to school with his Dad's wand for five years despite his grades being poo poo and him being harassed by teachers and students as useless because of it. Which, like Ron's hand me down, would be another Dahl-like amusing family anecdote if Rowling hadn't decided her plot capstone was going to be all about weird wand-lore bullshit about how vital it is that a wand choose its allegiance to a wizard.

I think the Longbottoms may have actually treated him worse than Sirius was treated by his parents, and they were outright wizard nazis who hated the little poo poo for not being enough of a bigot and actively wanted him dead.

It's surprising that there isn't more parricide in wizard families. Wizards' relationships with their parents could easily be similar to that between a Sith lord and apprentice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I do think it's pretty funny that the thing that finally makes Neville's grandmother proud of him is him breaking into the ministry and having a shootout with some death eaters. I honestly don't even think she ever cared about Neville's grades or whatever, she just wanted him to follow the family tradition and punch nazis. Like if he was still flunking out of everything but also spent his free time shoving Slytherin dweebs into lockers and "accidentally" spilling his cauldron of boiling hot insta-dissolve anything potion onto Snape for the twelfth time this year, he'd have been the apple of her eye.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You could carve out a niche if you were a really buff wizard most likely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That's just Jude Law Dumbledore

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sydin posted:

I do think it's pretty funny that the thing that finally makes Neville's grandmother proud of him is him breaking into the ministry and having a shootout with some death eaters. I honestly don't even think she ever cared about Neville's grades or whatever, she just wanted him to follow the family tradition and punch nazis. Like if he was still flunking out of everything but also spent his free time shoving Slytherin dweebs into lockers and "accidentally" spilling his cauldron of boiling hot insta-dissolve anything potion onto Snape for the twelfth time this year, he'd have been the apple of her eye.

Well yeah, Hogwarts is a fake school that is just a feeder system for various flavors of Nazi anyway

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's kinda funny that Harry's Dad and his buddies were objectively huge assholes in school, but from the perspective of when the series starts, they were right to be huge assholes to all the Hitler Youth fucks who mostly graduated to brownshirts for Voldemort and Snape deserved what he got.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Liquid Communism posted:

It's kinda funny that Harry's Dad and his buddies were objectively huge assholes in school, but from the perspective of when the series starts, they were right to be huge assholes to all the Hitler Youth fucks who mostly graduated to brownshirts for Voldemort and Snape deserved what he got.

A smart series may use this to take a minute to pause and say "hey, maybe we shouldn't bully the socially awkward or disadvantaged". But it doesn't sound like Rowling does that.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Tier Three: Stuff that was fine or 'fine' in a whimsical Dahl-esque romp, but becomes something else when you turn the book into a ~serious~ political thriller, as she did. The Dursleys treatment of Harry comes to mind.

One thing that always stuck to me was Ron telling Harry how the Weasleys had a distant cousin who's an accountant that "the family never talks to for some reason." Like, this isn't even a detail that aged poorly as the books became more serious, the second book introduces the concept of wizard racism and Squibs being treated as a huge embarrassment. Hell, I remember Ron laughing when Harry told him Filch was a Squib and going "shiit, yeah, it's not funny to laugh at them but this guy's an acceptable target."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

A smart series may use this to take a minute to pause and say "hey, maybe we shouldn't bully the socially awkward or disadvantaged". But it doesn't sound like Rowling does that.

She tries to do it, but it relies on the reader seeing Snape as a tragic hero instead of a middle-aged rear end in a top hat pining for a woman whose friendship he threw away to get in good with the Nazis and using that an excuse to take all of his angst out on the kids of everyone who wasn't a Nazi like him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Liquid Communism posted:

She tries to do it, but it relies on the reader seeing Snape as a tragic hero instead of a middle-aged rear end in a top hat pining for a woman whose friendship he threw away to get in good with the Nazis and using that an excuse to take all of his angst out on the kids of everyone who wasn't a Nazi like him.

Snape's not even like actually middle-aged. He's barely 30 when we first meet him in book 1 and 38 at his death.

Lily and James just got married, had a kid and died when they were roughly 20~

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The problem with the whole "bullying is what pushed Snape and others to a place where they were socially vulnerable enough to be recruited by the hitler youth" thing is that while there is absolutely lessons to be learned there in real life, in the Harry Potter world there is just straight up a house at Hogwarts that is the Nazi house. Snape got sorted long before James started giving him wedgies on the regular and landing in Slytherin just means that you get immediately surrounded by a bunch of blood purity assholes who indoctrinate you into their ideology. Like again I cannot stress enough that there is not a single good Slytherin in the entire series, the closest we get is Slughorn who is at best a noble bigot and sniveling coward and he + the entire Slytherin house refuse to actually stand and fight Voldemort in the climactic final battle.

One of the few genuinely insightful things Dumbledore ever remarks on is that Hogwarts sorts students too soon, and yeah it turns out dropping a hat on an 11 year old kid's head only for it to shout "NAZI!!!" to a hall of onlookers isn't the best thing in the world for child development. But apparently nobody actions on this at all and in the "sequel" story they're still corralling fifth graders directly into the blood purity house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think the only official one is Andromeda Tonks, who bailed on pureblood society to get away from the horrible bastards in the Black family and her omnicidal sister, and in the end of the story is left to raise her grandson alone because her husband, daughter, and son-in-law were all murdered by Voldemort's goons.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

The problem with the whole "bullying is what pushed Snape and others to a place where they were socially vulnerable enough to be recruited by the hitler youth" thing is that while there is absolutely lessons to be learned there in real life, in the Harry Potter world there is just straight up a house at Hogwarts that is the Nazi house. Snape got sorted long before James started giving him wedgies on the regular and landing in Slytherin just means that you get immediately surrounded by a bunch of blood purity assholes who indoctrinate you into their ideology. Like again I cannot stress enough that there is not a single good Slytherin in the entire series, the closest we get is Slughorn who is at best a noble bigot and sniveling coward and he + the entire Slytherin house refuse to actually stand and fight Voldemort in the climactic final battle.

One of the few genuinely insightful things Dumbledore ever remarks on is that Hogwarts sorts students too soon, and yeah it turns out dropping a hat on an 11 year old kid's head only for it to shout "NAZI!!!" to a hall of onlookers isn't the best thing in the world for child development. But apparently nobody actions on this at all and in the "sequel" story they're still corralling fifth graders directly into the blood purity house.

Hogwarts Legacy really tries to get away from that. None of the kids are irredeemable little shits (Sebastian excluded, perhaps) and the Slytherins all have well rounded personalities.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Doesn't the series sort of tackle the whole "bullying these people will push them to become evil" thing in Fantastic Beasts 2? Something stupid like Dumbledore worrying that bullying wizards into caring about WW2 will cause them to flock to Grindelwald's side instead, so they have no choice but to stand by and let the Holocaust happen?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Doesn't the series sort of tackle the whole "bullying these people will push them to become evil" thing in Fantastic Beasts 2? Something stupid like Dumbledore worrying that bullying wizards into caring about WW2 will cause them to flock to Grindelwald's side instead, so they have no choice but to stand by and let the Holocaust happen?

That's articulating a far more coherent position than what FB2 comes up with

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

amigolupus posted:

No, Dumbledore doesn't give a single gently caress about the holocaust. Even Jacob, who is born in Poland and probably jewish, doesn't seem too worried about finding out that Hitler will invade his homeland and try to exterminate his people.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

One of the few genuinely insightful things Dumbledore ever remarks on is that Hogwarts sorts students too soon
Not that he tries to do anything about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Alhazred posted:

Not that he tries to do anything about it.

Alas, systems can never be changed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SirPhoebos posted:

A reminder that Rowling believes that bullying being bad is such a fundmental theme of the books that she recently said she was shocked that any fan of her work would ever be mean to others

e: lol i forgot it was after she got bullied out of a harry potter chatroom

Angepain fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 8, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beartaco posted:

Hogwarts Legacy really tries to get away from that. None of the kids are irredeemable little shits (Sebastian excluded, perhaps) and the Slytherins all have well rounded personalities.

It's very funny how all the best things about that game are the ones JKR would never do if she wrote it

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

What do you think will be the impact of the writers strike on the new HBO series.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Probably too early in production to really make any difference, unless it really drags on for months. Have they even done any casting yet?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Toplowtech posted:

What do you think will be the impact of the writers strike on the new HBO series.

Speleothing posted:

Probably too early in production to really make any difference, unless it really drags on for months. Have they even done any casting yet?

No casting, but more importantly no behind-the-camera talent is lined up either. WB just said two weeks ago that they hadn't even reached out to talent agencies about finding a head writer/showrunner, as the core executive production team was currently handling the preliminary steps of that search independently. (Though who's to say how much of that was "We want to do this our way" and how much of it was "No point in dealing with any potential writers right now, given that a strike is mere days away.") My guess is that, at minimum, the first season is pushed back 6-12 months. The speculation was for a late 2025/early 2026 debut, so it probably won't materialize until late 2026. (Just in time for them to crow about the 25th anniversary of the film series.)

Also worth keeping in mind that the DGA begins contract negotiations with AMPTP later this week, and SAG-AFTRA is doing the same in about a month. So this could snowball from "no writers" to "no directors" and "no actors" in a hurry. (Of course, that assumes American talent would be involved with the series at all and JKR wouldn't keep the production pureblood British. Or that she won't simply start scabbing and writing scripts on her own.)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

JethroMcB posted:

Or that she won't simply start scabbing and writing scripts on her own.
:pray: I can’t think of any more entertaining thing to happen than that.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
excited to see what her twitter feed has descended into by late 2026

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I just hope the kid actors don't get doxxed or worse (They will. :smith:)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
lovely Farter

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Violet_Sky posted:

I just hope the kid actors don't get doxxed or worse (They will. :smith:)

Hate to say it, but I'm betting Joanne is going to make sure their parents don't 'get in the way'

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SirPhoebos posted:

Hate to say it, but I'm betting Joanne is going to make sure their parents don't 'get in the way'

Go full Truman Show and get them adopted by WB/JKR.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirPhoebos posted:

Matthew Johnson, tears streaming down his bloodied face, hyperventilating through his gag, tried to crawl away as best as he could manage with his arms and legs duct taped together. The man in the tuxedo slowly walked over to him, never diverting his attention even as he attached a silencer to his glock.

"Please, don't spare one thought to the health of your son, Mr. Johnson. Nothing bad will come to him, he's just... he just going to attend Hogwarts for a little while."

Matthew felt the cold touch of iron at the base of his neck.

"Now goodbye, Mr. Johnson. Or as they say in the book,

Avada Kedavra."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
'airy

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ur a lizard

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
can a fully-trained wizard defeat a single goose?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Is it a bullshit magic goose?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
it's a regular goose.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Harry Potter and the Obtuse Rubber Goose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Better than JK Rowling imo