Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The zx spectrum is better than harry potter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mazerunner posted:

Dudley also had a playstation several years before they were released, so either Vernon was actually the dad who works at nintendo or Rowling doesn't pay attention to numbers at all

Dudley Dursley having a PlayStation shortly before its Japanese release and a year and a half before its EU launch is the Mystery of Faith central to the Harry Potter franchise

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's also mentioned he plays 'Mega Mutilation' on it so pretty sure there wasn't much attention paid to accuracy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So in the first book, Harry mentions having a go on Dudley's computer, right?

This was 1991.

I know I was poor and raised by my grandma but how many homes had computers in 1991?

Mine did, but my parents both worked at tech companies, so that's not really a good measurement.

I did hear a thing how in the 80s is actually when parents getting computers for their kids had a big effect on the industry, because that was mainly happening with boys, and that's when the modern gender disparity in the tech industry really started.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/07/22/487069271/episode-576-when-women-stopped-coding

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

NikkolasKing posted:

So in the first book, Harry mentions having a go on Dudley's computer, right?

This was 1991.

I know I was poor and raised by my grandma but how many homes had computers in 1991?

1991 isn’t the Stone Age. The Commodore 64 came out in 1982 and that was 17 million home computers. Plus, Dudley was spoiled as poo poo.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
My fam was dirt poor and had dirt poor friends in the early 90's and i still had computer access and dicked around with MSPaint in my early childhood a few times.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Or a Spectrum or a Commodore 64 or similar.

The real tell with the PlayStation thing is that Rowling wasn't thinking of any particular date at all and then decided to retrofit a strict period onto the books.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rowling didn't plan poo poo out and this is constantly referenced and obvious despite what she says? :monocle:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Seriously, did Harry or Hermione not think it would be a fun idea to give Arthur Weasley a Playstation or a Gameboy and see what bullshit enchantments he puts in it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They could go to a Hobby store and blow his goddamned mind. But something something prime directive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Out of universe: Rowling doesn't care about video games or any actual aspect of modern real life and doesn't care to know.

In universe: Harry probably isn't a big fan of video games since he probably never really got to play them unless Dudley was really bored (and you drat well know Dudley would throw a tantrum if he ever loses) and Hermione strikes me as being raised on books.

Really, technology rarely if ever features in the stories except as a plot device and less and less as it goes on; by the point of Deathly Hallows it might as well be in a fantasy universe. The latest relevance I can think of is in Goblet of Fire when it's Harry's suggestion that Rita Skeeter has got them 'bugged' that gets Hermione on the right track of how she's actually spying on them. (Which is an indication of something that you'd think would come up; find out the magical equivalent of a technology that might accomplish what they're trying to do or what they think someone else is)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MikeJF posted:

Probably an Amstrad.

Probably an Amiga 500+

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Out of universe: Rowling doesn't care about video games

Get a load of this dork.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really, technology rarely if ever features in the stories except as a plot device and less and less as it goes on; by the point of Deathly Hallows it might as well be in a fantasy universe.

Hogwarts may well be in Scotland and follow a "hidden world" conceit but the setting itself is so detached from real life that the series has more in common with isekai/portal fantasy stories where the protagonist's lost contact with the ordinary world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dudley had a Sega Genesis. He was a huge Sonic fanboy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dudley had a Sega Genesis. He was a huge Sonic fanboy.

He becomes a boxer tho, clearly played Punch-Out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He becomes a boxer tho, clearly played Punch-Out.

Pictured: Dudley's Dream.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Dudley Dursley having a PlayStation shortly before its Japanese release and a year and a half before its EU launch is the Mystery of Faith central to the Harry Potter franchise

Harry Potter and the OOPart PlayStation

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

josh04 posted:

The real tell with the PlayStation thing is that Rowling wasn't thinking of any particular date at all and then decided to retrofit a strict period onto the books.

Nah, the date was set down in Chamber of Secrets, a few books before the PlayStation reference. It's just a minor anachronism.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Went to check that, googled "Harry Potter dating", immediately released what a huge mistake I'd made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nearly Headless Nick's 500th deathday party in CoS was 31st Oct 1992.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

Went to check that, googled "Harry Potter dating", immediately released what a huge mistake I'd made.

Drarry 5ever

Also Harry Potter dates are kind of insane. Like I imagine Snape being Alan Rickman-aged but no, he died around 35. Hitler shot Harry's parents when they were 20.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Drarry 5ever

Also Harry Potter dates are kind of insane. Like I imagine Snape being Alan Rickman-aged but no, he died around 35. Hitler shot Harry's parents when they were 20.

Carrying on a theme in Harry Potter that everyone peaks really early.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Rowling was pretty much the first to admit she was poo poo at maths.

I still don’t get how she could think you could have 400 quadrennial tournaments in less than a thousand years, though. Especially as the first World Cup was on an odd year and the one in the books was on an even year.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Having your system of currency be like seven knuts to a sickle and twelve sickles to a galleon was pretty bold though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TinTower posted:

I still don’t get how she could think you could have 400 quadrennial tournaments in less than a thousand years, though. Especially as the first World Cup was on an odd year and the one in the books was on an even year.

Wait do you mean the quidditch cup or the grand child murder tournament of the same year?

e: speaking of both of those, they remind me of Viktor Krum. I know I've posted this before, but that guy used to beat the poo poo out of the little swastika-drawing wizard nazi kids at Durmstrang before he became a sports prodigy. Dude was an absolute unit. When Luna's dad first appears at the wedding in Deathly Hallows, Viktor shows up again just to comment to Harry about his wizard swastika amulet like "oh Harry that is not cool my man, not cool at all"

Viktor Krum: buff sexy anti-nazi partisan god

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 14, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

reignofevil posted:

Having your system of currency be like seven knuts to a sickle and twelve sickles to a galleon was pretty bold though.

That's just how british money works

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TinTower posted:

initially they had one every couple of months but they started running out of kids to kill

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
All I'm hearing is "Rowling's editor is rubbish"

GodFish posted:

That's just how british money works

I mean look at this poo poo:

"Before Decimal Day in 1971, there were 240 pence (the plural of penny) in one pound sterling. There were four farthings in a penny, twelve pence in a shilling, and twenty shillings in a pound; so 960 farthings in a pound."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Drarry 5ever

Since you lead this off with a mention of Drarry, I thought you meant that dating Harry was loving insane. :v: Which it is, Harry's a miserable bore to go out with, as evidenced by the disastrous dates with Parvati and Cho.

TinTower posted:

Isn't it part of an editor's job to point out and have the author correct these kinds of small details? Then again, I think someone ITT mentioned that Rowling stopped having any editors around GoF.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JethroMcB posted:

I mean look at this poo poo:

"Before Decimal Day in 1971, there were 240 pence (the plural of penny) in one pound sterling. There were four farthings in a penny, twelve pence in a shilling, and twenty shillings in a pound; so 960 farthings in a pound."

12 and 240 are highly composite numbers and 20 and 960 are decently divisible too, so it made some sense.

Rowling chose two prime numbers which is just loving stupid.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TinTower posted:

Rowling chose two prime numbers which is just loving stupid.
Like with Quidditch the joke is taking an already convoluted system and making it sillier because that's the kind of thing wizards would do. It's early in the first book and is when she's definitely going for a more whimsical feel.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Harry being rich as poo poo always was kinda weird to me because he never does anything with any of it besides I guess buying a fancy broom.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like with Quidditch the joke is taking an already convoluted system and making it sillier because that's the kind of thing wizards would do. It's early in the first book and is when she's definitely going for a more whimsical feel.

Yeah, the Knuts/Sickles/Galleons conversion doesn't bother me at all. Whimsy and silliness is fine. Too bad she couldn't keep it up and instead went with racism, transphobia, and misogyny. And a hamfisted Jesus metaphor in the last book.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Harry being rich as poo poo always was kinda weird to me because he never does anything with any of it besides I guess buying a fancy broom.

He could just drop a small chunk of his fortune and improve the life of his best friend's family, who took him in and treated him with love and kindness the likes of which he'd never seen, with a snap.

Never does.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CainFortea posted:

He could just drop a small chunk of his fortune and improve the life of his best friend's family, who took him in and treated him with love and kindness the likes of which he'd never seen, with a snap.

Never does.

Tho to be fair Ron is kind of a dick about the whole prospect the one time he offers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Never does.

why that wouldn't be proper, they're of irish descent after all. what would they even do with the money, etc. etc.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He buys more candy than anyone could possibly eat one time, I guess, and then makes sure that everyone else knows that the two of them are just hogging all the treats on the first day of school

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

1991 isn’t the Stone Age. The Commodore 64 came out in 1982 and that was 17 million home computers. Plus, Dudley was spoiled as poo poo.

Other thing to bear in mind was it was a lot more common to have a (cheap non-PC) computer like a Spectrum or by then an Amiga or Atari ST than a console at the time in the UK compared to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jazerus posted:

getting Your Boy into Those Newfangled Machines was the done thing in the late 80s and early 90s, britain had a stronger computer culture than most places at the time (but worse computers :agesilaus:)

Your phone is still running the same architecture developed for one of those computers :colbert:

Granted they were expensive, you saw Archimedes in schools not homes mostly, but they were poo poo hot for the time.