Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when Lavender Brown was played by a black girl up until she got recast because she needed to date Ron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A Series of Unfortunate Events in audiobook form are all on youtube, or were last year.

Although you SHOULD give Daniel HandlerLemony Snicket money

Also, Rowling should have decoupled the racism from being a founding principle of slytherin. Spread racists around all the non-hufflepuff houses. Being sneaky, ambitious, pragmatic whatever doesn't stop you from being a good guy. Like Lando or Vegeta. They can be assholes for good.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 6, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So when will JKR reveal that coronavirus was actually done by an evil wizard from School 10

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

God help me I decided to actually look this up:

This is not a very good explanation and doesn't help things like there being no Spanish-speaking school at all despite it being the world's third biggest language or why greeks and balkans students would go to the Norwegian school instead of Russia or any of the other thousand problems that you have instead of just giving each country its own school but its something

I like how the international organization of wizards is still enormously british in character and that every country's magical community is run by a Ministry.

The entire wizard school apparatus recognized by Hogwarts being a legacy of imperialism is really the most logical explanation. It's like a combo of british imperialism and how evangelicals will set up a diocese for like, all of China to serve the miniscule amount of converts there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

What if Mao killed most of the wizards in his area so there's only a small remnant living in hiding.

That would never happen. Maybe the evil wizard behind Mao did it.

(JKR is writing so the good guy wizards universally backed the Guomindang obvs)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can someone explain again what the excuse was for why Malfoy's dad wasn't in prison?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"JK Rowling is still talking" is the greatest headline of all time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fans: so are there jewish wizards?

JKR: oh uh, yeah, there was a jewish kid at hogwarts the whole time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I definitely thought Hey Arnold took place in NYC. I thought that was the only place that had some schools just be "PS 118" or whatever instead of naming them all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
JKR's gonna get banned like glinner and then reveal that a cabal of antifeminist neo-death-eaters imperiused social media owners for the patriarchy in her new Harry Potter sequel duology

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently he had some memorable correspondence with Robert E Howard who pointed out that colonialism wasn't any less brutal than what savages supposedly got up to.

Both of Lovecraft's parents apparently died in asylums and his family lost their fortune and left him to die in poverty spending his money on letters rather than medicine, mind, so I'm pretty sure some pretty severe untreated mental illness was involved.

Hodgepodge posted:

He was notably, virulently racist, and clung to racism towards black people even to the end, as well as an ultimately class-based social ideal, but his animosity couldn't overwhelm the experience of the great depression when it came to understanding that people need basic things like food, I guess.

Tulip posted:

Lovecraft married a Jewish woman.

Also people will say "oh he was just a product of his time" but from what I can tell he was considered cartoonishly racist.

He did recant a bit by his death, but he died still cartoonishly racist by 1930s standards.

(Caveat: Lovecraft is one of my personal favourite authors so I'm biased, and also his writing is mostly... just bad and you should read other authors inspired by him and not the originals. At the Mountains of Madness and The Temple are the only ones that hold up.)

I personally think his racism was absolutely informed by his poverty and mental illness though. In a lot of ways he spent his life cosplaying a pre-revolution british-american aristocrat, which was absolutely informed by his family. He has early works where his racism has as much virulence for the loving dutch as it does black people. Unlike JKR I think he would have actually benefited from the internet- contrary to popular impression he wasn't a shut-in purely by choice. He wrote letters like goons post, and he traveled the american and canadian east coast as his poverty allowed. He even wrote travelogues, which usually get left out of his collections. And his travelogues definitely demonstrated his illness, imo, compared to how the average person would write one. Having something like the internet to meet and interact with people spontaneously instead of over letters, and the ability to easily meet people struggling like he was, and the ability to see that all these people were so similar to him even though being from wildly differing backgrounds, imo, might have sped his reformation. And hell, maybe he would live longer and not die in his 40s while bragging that he could survive on a can of beans and a loaf of bread for a week.

JKR has no excuse. She's rich as hell and can probably meet with any world leader or random rear end in a top hat she chooses, she can go anywhere any time she wants. Lovecraft was genuinely ill and abused, and spread that. JKR's only problem is affluenza.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI this has been posted on SA many times before but if you haven't seen it and want to watch a half hour youtube video, hbomberguy really knocks it out of the park in my opinion as a gay, jewish Lovecraft fan

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

every trained wizard has the know-how and recipe to make a love potion, i think we have to face the fact that the Harry Potter wizarding universe is filled to the brim with sex pests

That's just a part of the authentic british boarding school experience

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The whole story of the fourth book is nonsense. Why do all the tournament poo poo instead of just turning Harry's shoe into a portkey or something

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

It took Voldemort like 14 years to return from being dead honestly killing him normally and never dealing with his horcruxes could be totally workable.

Seems like they could just wait him out. Like, the death eaters aren't getting any younger.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
JKR said there was a jewish kid at hogwarts. Are wizards religious? Why doesn't the torah talk about magic at all?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ror posted:

This was America, I believe you mean "No-Maj" women. :engleft:

gently caress I had blocked that from my memory

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That just reminds me that so much of my childhood favourite books tied up thousands of words in describing british foods I didn’t know anything about. Spotted dick? What? Is chocolate gâteau just chocolate cake? Ron you do not speak french!

Do they have any foreign language or ESL at Hogwarts? I’m not exactly confident that the French and Eastern European students were 100% good at taking high level classes in english

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a US/France dual citizen thanks to my dad and I was angry at Beauxbatons by age 9 :smug: :france::hf::texas:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fred and George opened a fantastically successful shop that Molly hated or something and Fleur was defined by her non-human (french) blood.

Also the films are worse than I remembered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0RWnC28Gs

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And the elves are not the ones working the farms

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Smash mouth eat the elves

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Man with Hat posted:

I remembered her being more complainy but I also apparently forgot who she was engaged to so shows what I know. But she complains a lot about the Burrow and stuff IIRC. She's super nice to Harry, though, since he "saved" her sister. She's definitely not a bad person but it's not just Molly being racist towards french people, it's most of the family finding her snobby.

in my experience that's exactly how any british person meeting a french person goes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Should say something that the following YA fiction trend (that weren't romanticising sexual predators) was struggling as part of the underclass in a ludicrously stratified and arbitrarily divided society pitted against each other for the entertainment of the morally bankrupt wealthy

I just wanna say that in my senior year of high school english class, we read loving Hunger Games

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Man with Hat posted:

And yet throughout the whole goddamned thing everyone keeps talking about Harry being a good wizard. No. He's a poo poo wizard who happened to have potential that he's wasting.

Isn't he really good at expeliarmus and nothing else?

He's the wizard cop equivalent of your friend who picks the cheesiest character and just spams one attack

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take: I too would have been absolutely terrified of having Harry dumped on my doorstep.

Also, why not send Harry to some volunteer wizard parents in like, Switzerland or NYC instead right in Voldemort's old stomping grounds with his relatives.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ror posted:

Harry also had a really fat trust fund, didn’t he? He basically inherited the fortunes of the Potters and the Blacks and got that sweet Gringotts interest. Not that wizard finances make any sense in the first place.

https://twitter.com/mesut_ausil/status/1185349964785840129?s=21

that's like the first thing he does in the wizarding world, go collect the interest off his trust fund.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if instead of becoming a cop, Hermione stuck to her roots as the one person who cares about injustice and eventually got elected Minister of Magic on a platform of "we could save countless lives by helping the muggles"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone else have more fun with that awful ps2 quidditch world cup game back in the day than with most potter poo poo

for this snipe, everyone should know that a teenaged Edgar owned and wore a shirt with this on it a lot

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 24, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine how much better the Neville series would have been

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I started listening to the shrieking shack podcast and like one of the hosts I too totally forgot that the prologue focused on Vernon being appalled at all the weirdos wandering around in robes. Now that I’ve soured so much on Potter I want more of that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

I never got the whole "cannot be blocked" thing. Presumably they just mean "cannot be blocked by magic", because during their brief duel I distinctly recall Dumbledore "blocking" avada kedavra by animating a giant stone statue to jump between him and the spell, which presumably means the spell cannot pass through suitably sturdy physical objects? Would Voldy be powerless vs a group of muggle policemen with riot shields, or firing from behind an armored car? How slow does the spell even travel that Dumbledore had time to throw a statue between him and it?

I kinda like to think that Voldemort actually sucks and is just a big fish in a small pond who could easily be defeated with like, a few minutes of critical thinking.

Back in the day, joking about taking out Voldemort with modern military tech started by like, third grade.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone at Hogwarts do any drugs?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jojoinnit posted:

Ah yeah I straight forgot about him missing the feast in those books. That's fair. I just remember the feeling that it lost all whimsy as it went on.

It definitely does. Compare book one, especially the early chapters, to anything book four on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Yeah the original actor died between movies two and three, so they replaced him with a new guy who had WAY too much energy, particularly for the earlier books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8szpId3oWlE

e: I forgot every main guy character's hair evolution from movie 3 to 4 to 5 mirroring my dumbass tween fashion sensibilities. Look at them in this one

e2: I also forgot how fuckin dumb it is that everyone's immediate response is "HES A CHEAT" and not "oh, this must be another nazi scheme"

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 28, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZZZorcerer posted:

People playing quidditch in real life will never cease to amaze me (it's beyond dumb)

Within my first week of moving to Canada I was trying to walk to downtown Kingston from my apartment. I didn't know exactly where I was going and I accidentally stumbled into the Queens University 2013 Quidditch Team practicing. It was certainly something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

Eton's Houses are (cf wikipedia), College, Godolphin, Jourdelay's, Hawtrey, Durnford, The Hopgarden, South Lawn, Waynflete, Evans's, Keate, Warre, Villiers, Common Lane, Penn, Walpole, Cotton Hall, Wotton, Holland, Mustians, Angelo's, Manor, Farrer, Baldwin's Bec, The Timbralls, and Westbury. There are 25 of them and I'm sure each has it's own uniquely boring history.

They don’t even follow the same naming scheme? Jesus Christ upper class British stuff is the worst

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dordreff posted:

i don't remember much about the movies other than the third one, because it was the only one directed by a human instead of a computer algorithm, and the fourth one because it was a hosed up fever dream that just threw in scenes i vaguely recognised from the book at random. They couldn't take 5 minutes to explain who the gently caress David Tennant was playing but they absolutely could take 10 minutes to show a bunch of 30 year old Polish dudes spinning sticks around while some girls sighed dramatically and blew kisses at everything. Absolutely incredible film.

Clémence Poésy makes sex noises and then firbending. It was the worst movie

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Red_King

holy poo poo if you thought Potter was bad check out the saga of CHARLIE BONE

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rollick posted:

The shift in tone over the series (from Dahlesque children's gothic to YA urban fantasy) means the Dursleys retrospectively go from broad comedy grotesques to straightforward child abusers.

I love the line at the end of book one that I remember because of the podcast, when Harry basically goes "man I'mma gently caress with Dudley this summer"

Other things I learned from the podcast: add McGonagal to the list of characters who were, or became, cops

Not only was McGonagal a cop, she married her much older cop boss, who dies right before book one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

this is why 80% of wizards end up as cops

https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Jobs_in_the_wizarding_world

seriously people go through this list and count how many jobs are just tiers and variants of "cop"