Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So turns out blonde prince dude is kinda rapey.

Is it OK to ask how big of a thing that becomes? Is this series going to be something I can safely watch with someone who has a history of sexual trauma?

from the light novels it's more of inappropriate attempts at seduction that happen at least once, maybe twice more. What happens in this episode is about as far as the forceful behavior tends to go. Anyways, it never gets any further since one of the other guys (Keith, from what I can recall) finds out what's going on and starts objecting

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, no idea how the anime will handle this though.

Also, someone else please chime in because my memory isn't as good as it was and I didn't read the manga (too much) when the anime was announced.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

I didn't know that, but that's a good joke!

Honestly I really like Maria. I mean she's totally a perfect nice girl Mary Sue protagonist type, where you think she'd be kind of bland and thus less interesting than the more well rounded capture targets and rivals, but she still brings something to every scene she's in.

Your post really got me thinkin' this a little deeper. This story does a good job of generally capturing the repercussions of how a (relatively) believable mary sue's attributes (particularly the "poor me" aspects and the capture target scenarios) would form the Maria we see today.

She is bland, but very believably bland.

Maria will get fleshed out immensely in the coming episodes, if the light novel beats are followed

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

Her voice is in a bit of a lower register than the one I'd given her in my head, yeah, but I wouldn't say it's a bad performance or anything.

I don't really like her voice but I'm sure it will grow on me

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

imagine having Catarina as your daughter and getting a report card that says something like:

• Catarina Claes
  • 4th Grade
  • Teacher's note:
  • Consistently reads and comprehends literature at the 12th grade or higher, but difficult to keep her interest
  • Wonders aloud why the school library doesn't carry Danielle Steel

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong by saying she's not bland, what I should have said is she's not a cipher. Her blandness is a legitimate part of her character and how she deals with a world that alternately wants to tear her down or put her on a pedestal and it comes across as authentic rather than just her being an audience surrogate. Thus she's interesting!

You didn't word it wrong, I think. The way I see it, the way she's presented at this part of the story absolutely makes her out to be some kind of mary sue one-dimension character on purpose.

I'm trying to be a little ambiguous here since I don't want to signpost but I agree with your post as well as your previous post.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean Keith lives with Katarina so it makes sense her actions would have a bigger effect on his life.

the story of his life seemed like "does anyone want to build a snowman" with the old catarina

instead, it's "I can't trust my sister to build snowpeople with anyone without embarrassing mom or creating more rivals for myself" with bakarina

Bakarina's reaction to Keith would make more sense in a normal situation if he had tried to bargain for "favors" with Maria in exchange for her handkerchief. Of course, in this new reality, such an idea would never cross his mind.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

I needed to build up her strength so I could take her adventuring, ok?

it's funny how adventuring is the only way to consistently get a good ending in princess maker 2

but you won't know where to go and what treasures to find and how to handle situations unless you have previous knowledge of the game

hey, wait a minute

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Supersonic Shine posted:

Can't wait for the war arc where Katarina spills countless gallons of blood in defense of her beloved friends, forcing her to confront the fact that despite all her efforts, she's become the dark-hearted villainess whose decisions she was trying to avoid.

I'm only kidding, of course. Katarina would capture the hearts of the enemy prince and princess and end the war before it even happened.

she's like helen of troy

everyone wants to marry her

except she always the backup strat of "run away and be a farmer" as a plan A (depending on whoever she thinks captures Maria's eye first) so she has much more agency than the stereotypical damsel in distress.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mean, she thinks that if either Keith or Geordo start to like Maria, she'll make plans to hightail it out of there in the middle of the night before she gets stabbed

in reality, Anne would probably yell at her first, before getting Keith to also yell at her, before she makes it out the front gates

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, let's cool it with spoilers from stuff that's probably coming. Things that are probably getting the "cutting room floor" treatment (like I'm sure Anne's backstory is not getting elaborated upon).

Some spoilers are more than welcome, though! Like this. Katarina is a big, adorable dumbass.

mods knew

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Remember that episode when Maria's all like "please just call me Maria" and Catarina was all happy and flustered?

This, and a lot of really Japanese things may be a bit hard to translate literally, I think. I really wonder how they are going to dub it so that it makes sense.

This feels like one of those rare shows that I would be comfortable watching with my niece if she ever wanted to get into anime. The above is only one of a few things that would really need an explanation if you just watch the subs, since (in my own lived experience) typical American culture rarely deals with informal vs formal address among students. I guess a nickname would be one vehicle?

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 13, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is Episode 5, at the 7:30 mark

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nielsm posted:

Miss Campbell / Miss Maria / Maria? Not unusual in European culture either to consider title + last name the formal/common address, title + first name less formal, and first name only as familiar.

Good point.

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mary, in the English dub: All according to keikaku

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pyrotoad posted:

Apparently the dub is releasing their first episode today, anyone got a cast list?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Even in the Before Times Katarina had harem protagonist face

:rimshot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pyrotoad posted:

Oooh there's some real veterans in there.

I hope to find some time today to watch it... I'm really excited for this!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sophia having a link to Acchan is definitely part of the LN

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the dub is good

this is coming from a subs snob

it's the perfect reason to watch the series again

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

amigolupus posted:

I enjoyed the dub, too. Though it was a little weird they kept in terms like otome games and otaku, or had Katarina call Geordo Master instead of Prince.

I agree with what you said, although I think it's ok that they used Master. It might be the correct usage of how these terms are used (I dunno really, I'm not familiar with these terms and their appropriate usage outside of a computing context)

I wonder what a 4kids style butchering of the game would change in this regard. Define an otome game before using the term? Use "videogame nerd" instead of a generic otaku? (and then we get into darker aspects of this... maybe somehow they turn this into a Geordo and Keith buddy comedy).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clarste posted:

My favorite joke is when after they solve the riddle to figure out the way to go, Catarina wants to go the other way because in RPGs you always want to fully explore every nook and cranny of the dungeon.

Thank you for listening.

:yeah:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Reynolds posted:

A very cute episode, as usual. I'm looking forward to the next one, the basic model bitches form a union I guess? Sounds juicy.

I love how the costume design truly shows how unique each of the main characters are. Even Maria's design is clearly meant to be sensible and charming.

But Catarina is clearly the queen in terms of her design. She's the only person who regularly wears gloves, after all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I find it hilarious that they are attempting to express contrition for their actions but they are still calling Catatina despicable.

If you can't get her to notice you then just wish her the best. Don't be sour because her harem doesn't have room for bullies.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they didn't seem as much in a hurry to leave after being confronted by Maria, vs when Catarina was angry when the muffins were disrespected (:rip: muffins)

the villainess face really does change how people react to you

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Man, after all those fluffy fillery episodes I'm not used to this show having stakes.

How will Catarina seduce her way out of this one?

eggplant kigurumi

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wonder how this scene would have looked in the original Fortune Lover game. Does Maria always get captured, and her preferred love interest always saves her? Or does she not get captured in the first place?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sindai posted:

I assume this only happens in the game if you're on the secret route. Otherwise Catarina would have remembered it.

True. Isekai Catarina is already the main love interest, if not protagonist, and it makes complete sense for her to perform the rescue in the Anime's timeline. But, assuming that you're Acchan in modern Japan and you're just playing the game on your pc, how would the lead up to the confrontation with Sirius look like? Because original game Catarina would have already been killed or exiled or etc at this point. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to do the rescue.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm so happy that we got to see modern day Catarina, she's quirky and adorable and is furiously exploiting her youth by playing video games and sacrificing sleep and is just s good friend in general.

The callbacks to the old granny next door, to the fact that she's the youngest of 3 with two older brothers (and always wanted a younger sibling to dote on) and the ability to set off dogs... I wish there was an entire episode dedicated to this world that can maybe fill out some of the characters or draw additional parallels, but this is fine.

Anyways, I like this episode. That Geordo move was pretty :yikes: though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

I like to think about the actual mechanics of Fortune Lover. Is it a pure visual novel or does it have a stat/schedule system where you have to select activities for Maria each day that raise her parameters in certain areas while also having a chance at provoking events with certain characters. Like you have to do lots of Library activities to raise your intelligence stat and those also provoke lots of Sophia encounters for the Nicol route (and having high intelligence is necessary for the Alan route too), or some sort of Explore/Goof Around activity that raises your whimsy stat and leads to Geordo encounters.

So for the Sirius route you probably need to grind your magic stat really hard so you can detect his dark magic (and probably have completed all four main routes on the same save file), but then when you confront him if you try to use that overpowered magic of yours to fight him you still lose and he goes and kills everyone for the bad end, so you've got to let him kidnap you so you can reverse-stockholm syndrome him during the captivity events.

Good point. I can see how the game could be written to subvert normal gameplay in the secret route.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

I was assuming Catarina would be appearing as a bully in every route, hence every route leading to her downfall eventually.

that's the same impression I get. She is less heavily featured in the Alan and Nicol routes (since the rival changes to Mary and Sophia respectively), but if the accusation scene (featured in last week's episode) happens in all routes, then she will always find her doom. But maybe it only shows up in the Geordo and Keith routes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

Yeah the feeling I get is that unless you're on the Alan/Nicol route you just see Mary and Sophia maybe once or twice, whereas Catarina gets recurring 'bully' events throughout the game just as part of establishing school life, as well as Keith and Geordo specific events when you're on their routes.

Then the devs announce the Catarina route DLC and there's mass uproar from the fans about it white-washing her bullying. Until they play it and discover Catarina has become a lovable airhead who steals Geordo and Keith's events.

barge in on whatever Maria's doing, use your knowledge of the game to continually steal plot events (which is why this new game+ is gated behind the secret ending), eat her cookies, drag her to social functions, gauge her relationship status to others via pajama parties or tea parties, and ultimately steal her heart so that you can face off against the student council president

all of this has to be juggled with studying to make sure you don't get kicked out

it would be funny if, in this DLC, you had to specifically sabotage the other suitors by stealing their key events to allow you to maintain your lead.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Fangz posted:

I think, applying the logic that Katarina steals Maria's events, it would make the most sense for someone else, say, Katarina, to get captured by the Dick, and then Maria to mount a rescue (probably using Light magic skills). A lot of these hidden routes piggy-back on the Main route, so much of this route would perhaps be like the Geordo route.

So something like: Katarina bullying Maria, but Maria not getting close enough to Geordo to trigger the Geordo route but rather getting close to the Dick, at which point eventually Dick takes steps to defend Maria instead of Geordo, which results in Katarina's disappearance, Maria finding out via Light Magic, and the big confrontation which resolves depending on how many affection points there are between Maria and the Dick.

This also makes sense. Having to grind some Sirius points probably involves grinding an unknown or under-noticed stat

... wow, it's clear how much of a Dieke he is... no wonder Acchan had so much trouble

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tsob posted:

So I just binged the show over the last two days, and have a quick question I'm presuming someone more familiar with other sources besides the anime will be able to shed a bit of light on: in episode 7, when Catarina is stuck in the dungeon and Sophia tries to save her, there's a gust of wind that pushes them both back up on to the ledge when they're about to fall, which Sophia says wasn't her and we see a dark figure leave afterwards. Was that Raphael/Sirius saving them, as I'd assume, given that it's the episode that builds up to his reveal as a villain? Is he just normally a wind elemental magic user, and had dark magic on top of that? Or was it someone else, that'll be revealed next season, or whenever? I'd have assumed it was Raphael, but I don't recall anything about him having wind magic and there doesn't really seem to be a reason why he'd have saved them, when he was still under the dark magician's influence.

Edit: Also, it'll obviously be spoilers, but I'm just kind of curious what direction the story takes after this, considering that the conflict the season was raising has been resolved, Catarina has evaded the doom flags, won't be killed or exiled and nothing about her being a reincarnation or inside an otome game she is familiar with can really have much relevance going forward. Can someone spoiler it a bit, just for curiosity? I'm aware it stalls out for a bit, as the author struggles to find a new direction due to the story being more popular than anticipated, going by previous pages, but I'm just wondering what kind of direction it does go in.

I'm 100% sure that it was Sirius. I assume that he attends the school because of his documented skill in Wind Magic. The magician with Dark Magic only served to augment, not replace, his existing powers.

Of course, it could be the case that Sirius actually has no powers whatsoever and his magical ability stems solely through the magician. But I have the feeling that the magician wouldn't bother saving Katarina and co, since that would not advance his goals of revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot: