Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Hello I would like to play this game if that’s ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

get a new avatar and you can play

Normally I’d refuse on principle but you know what, sure.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Hello I missed mafia how’s it hanging <3

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone done Untitled Goose Mafia yet?

Honk, honk aligned honk, has been honked N1

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I am also not very funny

I’m finding these flavour arguments are kind of pinging me though, D1 has just started and people are fishing for flavour and soft claims already. It feels kind of awkward and artificial

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

rude

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

When I used to read the Mafia Universe games, town Miller-claimants would go to work casing to show towniness and reduce the target in their backs. Whereas friend Somber has spent most of the time in setup speculation which is unlikely to help anyone.

Is this a standard SA thing or a likely scum tell?

The votes on you for this feel easy and I don't think it means scum necessarily but what are you really expecting him to "go to work casing" currently?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

I have no read on you other than that you're behaving weirdly and I don't know why.

Toal is also null at the moment as they've barely posted.

This is where I also am wrt hawke. I would like to see the people voting him show some substance re whether he's actually scum or why vote him if he just posted a stupid thing

Monathin posted:

I mostly had my vote on Token as part of a bad joke on my part but I feel like the softclaim is completely out of left field for either town or scum. It's possible that's what Token is betting on, but I think it's a weird alignment-neutral gambit.

##unvote since we seem to be (slowly) shifting into mafia proper and I don't want to leave my vote there now that other people are at least discussing it a bit.

Gut lean this feels like overanalysis from an awkward townie imo

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

well firstly this seems to be the worst post

Cannot disagree

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

In my experience scum are conflict adverse typically.

It's been a while since I mafiad proper but iirc my experience was the opposite :\

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

merk posted:

I can’t figure out how to rotate this thing. drat imgur.

Wicked jealous of you rn

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'm late to goose chat but this was an adorable gosling that I saw get attacked by a dog last year & took for a ride to the wildlife clinic after its family abandoned it. I don't have that car anymore but it chomped a bunch of stuff behind my glovebox and caused a bit of trouble, it was probably stressed out but in my experience it was just a very chompy goose.

This is my contribution to goose chat

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Monathin posted:

I'm going back and forth on birb being legit right now or not. They are very obviously all over the place in a way I would not usually associate with either town OR scum birb? I kind of wanna let that simmer to see what happens.

Not feeling the Jed! push tbh, are they a vet I don't recognize or a newbie? I think their pressure on birb is actually fairly good, actually.

what jed push

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

This game so far feels like that first party when you're 11/12 years old that has girls invited and everyone's all awkward

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

rereading the last few pages for thoughts before I go out for a bit

cheese sandwich posted:

Monathin posted:

I'm going back and forth on birb being legit right now or not. They are very obviously all over the place in a way I would not usually associate with either town OR scum birb? I kind of wanna let that simmer to see what happens.

Not feeling the Jed! push tbh, are they a vet I don't recognize or a newbie? I think their pressure on birb is actually fairly good, actually.
what jed push

This might just be gut and weigh in if you disagree but looking at this again this feels like kind of an overaware teamthink slip wrt Jed & thinking he had pressure on him, like he was drawing on a larger discussion oot. I mostly like mon otherwise though so idk.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

cheese sandwich posted:

I mostly like mon otherwise though so idk.

Scratch that otherwise neutral

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The claim doesn’t necessarily conflict. The posting tone seemed off for a hard-claimed Miller. The imagined miller backgrounds conflict with my flavour though.

Speaking of, is xopods new? They seem fixed on flavour

This looks like awkward distancing, do not like

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Big dislike of this post:
- it’s a carbon copy of a (wrong) contention sandwolf posted yesterday regarding moi;
- the idea that people being cased shouldn’t post reads or talk about other posters because it’s some kind of deflection is bad and would kill the game if people actually followed it

I’m down with this

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Who is liger

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

chaoslord posted:

##unvote
##vote cheese sandwich

Previous case about empty scumhunting plus these two

These are consecutive posts in cheese sandwich's post history separated by about 5 hours of real time. The former, calling Hawke out for awkward distancing, is the closest thing to a scum read that cheese has made. Their very next post is saying they want to go with something Hawke is saying. There were only 11 posts made in the thread between those two so not like a giant amount of new content to take in. Hawke's only post was the one he quoted and cheese has made a big swing. It reads to me that cheese is faking their opinion about Hawke. Combined with the appearance of scumhunting from before, this is what I want to do.

Not scum, just giving out feelings as I have them & forcing myself to post in a game that is moving slowly & awkwardly to keep myself engaged.

Thank you for noticing me though :)

chaoslord posted:

Cheese makes this post saying things are pinging him and that it feels awkward and artificial about a topic that spanned a decent number of posts. They never follow up on it. It's something that looks like scumhunting because it has the right words in it, but it's empty. A good post for scum to blend in with. I hate to bring this stuff back up, but Cheese, can you name names? Who was pinging you, what felt artificial?

What are you expecting as a followup? It was a really stupid flavour discussion that mostly ended. I wasn't that invested tbh, if I thought it went somewhere I probably would have posted more about it. I like to post candid thoughts partially so that I have notes later for myself

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

MisterJed posted:

Others made a good case earlier but he wouldn’t name names in his cases then left all day. And he’s not around tonight. Not feeling anyone else except for you

I left all day because it's Monday and I have a job :\ I still have work to finish but I'll be around until deadline and I want to catch up on this first before I go back to it.

As far as I'm aware this is the case on me from chaos (1 2 3) and this was my response here that I still stand by. If I thought someone was scum I would've called them scum, if I have other feelings I'm just going to post them especially when I'm still trying to feel things out and trying to make sure I'm contributing. Don't put words in my mouth that I'm calling something scummy if I don't say so because I would.

I don't really find anything else that chaos has posted re me worth responding to again because to me it just looks like a bunch of mafia dadding telling me how I should be scumhunting and misrepresenting the posts I have made.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

There's no follow through... he'll agree or disagree with this or that post, but those opinions don't appear to affect his subsequent ones or coalesce into anything resembling a persistent view of the game. It's like every time he shows up to post he's starting over again, just responding to whatever's going on right now without trying to figure out how it fits in or doesn't fit in with his previous views on things.

This is probably exactly what I was doing honestly because I was mostly phone posting over the weekend and just trying to lay out thoughts as I had them hoping poo poo would make more sense later on because I felt a bit awkward and unengaged.

Do you think that this means scum though? I'd like to think I'd try a bit harder if I had motivation to fly under the radar. I know what my scum meta used to be but it's been a long time since I've played mafia proper.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

MisterJed posted:

Where did I put words in your mouth about anything, wow

Is your name chaoslord or did you make the cases I linked? I thought you were just the guy that voted me without saying anything until you got pressed on it

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

It's not impossible that you're just lazy as you say, but in my experience lazy town don't have all that much motivation to appear engaged. They just don't post. Or they pick the first weird thing they see and decide that's scummy and vote for it and then don't do much else until deadline.

You seem a little higher effort than that, trying to seem like you have opinions about things, just not opinions that you're actually going to have to commit to or act on in any way. Which, yeah, seems scummy to me. That's a valuable thing for scum to do, if they can get away with it: to be considered not a lurker and not very suspicious, but also not to have committed to any opinions that would restrict their ability to vote as they see fit later on.

I feel like I would probably actively avoid flying under the radar as scum tbh but you're entitled to that opinion I guess. My motivation to keep myself engaged was that I wanted to play the mafia game I signed up to play after not playing for a long time :\ I didn't really care how it appeared I guess. I'm always self conscious about lurking because it feels like a dick thing to do regardless.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

yuming posted:

I still prefer Fisk to cheese.

For lurking with a failed promise to reread.

All fairness to fisk I think he said he had an exam to study for tonight

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

A spoonsy vote would be entirely self preservation he just looks like he's lurking it.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

xopods posted:

Well he admitted himself that just looking for things to respond to rather than accumulating reads is what he was doing, so my read wasn't wrong at least as far as that goes.

He insists it's just lazy, not scummy and maybe it isn't. His last post gives me enough uncertainty that I'm not sure whether he's a better lunch than Spoonsy, if it's going to be one of them.

But to explain what it is I was seeing, for starters, his reversal on Hawke wasn't just a single reversal. It was like, first he agreed with me that the votes on Hawke were too easy and scummy, then he thought Hawke was scummily distancing himself from me, then was agreeing with a read made by Hawke...

And then there's the bit where he thought he caught Mona making a scum slip re: Jed and then... just... never mentions it again. Like, not even to say "yeah no I guess I was wrong."

I guess now that I lay it out like that my case really isn't all that different from what chaoslord said about him. It's just way more convincing when I say it. ;) :fh:

I don't think I said lazy, just phone posting and otherwise occupied.

It's funny you should mention the Mona thing because I was just looking at that again in context and I still like it, it doesn't really make sense w what was happening in the thread and reads as more informed than it should be imo. Maybe informed is the wrong word? But it didn't seem like a position that was sourced from thread content Context

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Toalp/b-min why do you still not want lunch? Mostly @ Toalp

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

It might be a bit late for this shift today but if we're looking at lurky people Ixtilton probably deserves a look more than spoonsy imo wrt actual content.

He's still here chiming in regularly but it's basically all bro posts. Unless this is a thing we expect? I don't remember him well. ph

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

chaoslord posted:

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying your use of "pinging me" and "awkward and artificial" do not imply the activity is scummy?

I don't really see value in repeating myself for whatever gotcha you have in mind

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I'll be around to hop if it's not happening but I like this better than spoonsy ##vote ixt

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

chaoslord posted:

It's not a gotcha. I am trying to make sure I read that correctly because I don't know that I've ever seen a mafia player to say "This is pinging me" or "This conversation feels artificial" without the implication behind it. Like, those are the words for saying things are scummy.

If that's really true, I will need to rethink about you, but I'm just having a hard time understanding that that is right because to me, what else could pinging mean? I just don't understand it.

P sure I already told you I was throwing out reads as I saw them so I could refer back later. If I'm going to call someone scum I'd rather make sure I have context and/or something to back it up, if I threw out that I thought something was awkward or fake w/o a hard assertion it's probably something I might want to refer back to later.

I also feel like I don't have meta on anyone anymore and it's probably making me a little more tentative than I feel like I would be otherwise.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

the spoony vote didn't seem very enthused in the first place don't assume some grand thread zeitgeist

This was kind of where I was at wrt the spoonsy vote, the impression I had was viewed as the default other option.

I don't feel a lot stronger about Ixt but wrt content at least spoonsy has some I guess? Although that might in itself be a better reason for a spoons vote. hm

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Ixt will probably not happen today and I need to get back to work

##unvote
##vote spoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

:ghost::mad::ghost: