Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
This thread is for talking about stupid things that you're considering doing to yourself under the pretense that it will save you money or make you a happier person. No actual self harm, please - these should be reversible and mostly innocuous life decisions.

Here's a couple of mine:

Go back to a flip phone. There's basically nothing that I do on a smart phone that can't wait until I get home to a proper computer. I've got hundreds of hours of music in my closet, and I should really start digitizing it and putting it on my car's flash drive instead of being a lazy rear end in a top hat and pulling it up on Spotify.

Go back to a cassette player instead of using MP3 players. Tape sounds cool, and there's something really satisfying about hitting the exact beginning of a song with rewind/fast forward.

olives black fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

olives black posted:

Go back to a flip phone. There's basically nothing that I do on a smart phone that can't wait until I get home to a proper computer. I've got hundreds of hours of music in my closet, and I should really start digitizing it and putting it on my car's flash drive instead of being a lazy rear end in a top hat and pulling it up on Spotify.

This is good as it stops you from looking at your phone in bed too so you'll probably go back to reading books more, BUT I had to stop doing it because I needed the map and gps too many times and sometimes I really needed to look things up away from my computer.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 20, 2020

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
People that drive manual transmissions and make it their identity

Congrats on having a slower, less-efficient pain in the rear end

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Reading the Op's posts

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Supreme Allah posted:

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

I have also considered doing this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

not sure why you're considering doing this since you seem to have strong feelings to the contrary?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Supreme Allah posted:

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. Sorry you hate fun?

To contribute: I run a proxy server, which I had to modify and compile from source, on my home network for the sole purpose of letting me post on the forums from my 400MHz iMac G3.

It works.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey remember that time you got hosed up and nobody helped you and it took you two whole years to get back on your feet? Well I have some questions about that and I want to run a little simulation..

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

corgski posted:

To contribute: I run a proxy server, which I had to modify and compile from source, on my home network for the sole purpose of letting me post on the forums from my 400MHz iMac G3.

It works.

yes, this is what I posted this thread for. shoot it into my eyeballs

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Supreme Allah posted:

I guess that's why race cars all use automatics.... wait

I hate uber-masculine car culture as much as the next sane person but this just isn't true lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i wonder if the space shuttle is a manual

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

I guess that's why race cars all use automatics.... wait

I hate uber-masculine car culture as much as the next sane person but this just isn't true lol

I wouldn’t expect that person to know what a DCT was if it bit them in the rear end.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

going to the dr regularly for checkups creates tons of hassle and worry with almost no benefit

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

olives black posted:

yes, this is what I posted this thread for. shoot it into my eyeballs

ive got good news for you friend

https://lynx.invisible-island.net/

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

I went through a two-week period where I spent hours looking for a VT-200 dummy terminal so that I could force myself to do computer stuff using nothing but programs like this

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

olives black posted:

I went through a two-week period where I spent hours looking for a VT-200 dummy terminal so that I could force myself to do computer stuff using nothing but programs like this

You are but a little child. Behold, the master of terminal emulation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A treadmill with rocks and broken glass glued to it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Maybe cover all my table tops and benches with thick carpet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm considering not drinking in order to prolong my miserable existence.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

corgski posted:

I wouldn’t expect that person to know what a DCT was if it bit them in the rear end.

I remember dual clutch coming up in the first Fast and Furious, it made as much sense then (or was that double clutch, in a drag race)

You can't argue that a modern A8 transmission (let alone an A10) will not regularly get faster times compared to even a very great manual driver. it's simply better technology

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Do not buy cakes, cookies or pies. Make them yourself.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I only own one coat at the moment. A winter coat. I don't feel like buying a second one so I will try to go from winter coat straight to no coat. I'll sweat like a pig for a few more weeks and then hopefully transform into a shivering little bitch

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I prefer driving manual, without having to hoon around. Only an idiot would consider it "hard". Do you read? Why do you bother reading when you can just listen to a separate download on your device? It is much "harder" to read so why do it the old way, moran

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

lilbeefer posted:

I prefer driving manual, without having to hoon around. Only an idiot would consider it "hard". Do you read? Why do you bother reading when you can just listen to a separate download on your device? It is much "harder" to read so why do it the old way, moran

Agreed, only nerds read

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Using free weights instead of weight machines. Yeah, you can squat 500 lbs unassisted but you also now need to visit a physiotherapist twice a week because of your chronic pain.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Is this the vent about being a parent thread?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I did what the OP is thinking about and got an older phone. It was a bad idea, I didn't realize until then how much society just assumes you have a smartphone in many situations so that it's just very inconvenient not to have one.

One thing I did recently being a student with little money is to get a big jug and some wine yeast to make hobo wine so I could get drunk for cheap. It's basically just sugar and molasses flavored with ginger and lemon. I'm drinking it right now and I have to say it's a mixed experience. Somehow drinking this feels very differently than drinking beer or real wine, I just get a buzz and it doesn't feel like "drinking", more like making yourself dizzy. It also tastes very yeasty and I made a mess in my room bottling it without a funnel (I was feeling a bit sick and didn't want to go out lest it's corona). I'm also hesitant to put the stuff anywhere cool lest my roommate or someone else see me carrying the bottles around because they look very much like bottles of piss, I also don't want to admit to him what I'm actually doing.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Grevling posted:

I did what the OP is thinking about and got an older phone. It was a bad idea, I didn't realize until then how much society just assumes you have a smartphone in many situations so that it's just very inconvenient not to have one.

One thing I did recently being a student with little money is to get a big jug and some wine yeast to make hobo wine so I could get drunk for cheap. It's basically just sugar and molasses flavored with ginger and lemon. I'm drinking it right now and I have to say it's a mixed experience. Somehow drinking this feels very differently than drinking beer or real wine, I just get a buzz and it doesn't feel like "drinking", more like making yourself dizzy. It also tastes very yeasty and I made a mess in my room bottling it without a funnel (I was feeling a bit sick and didn't want to go out lest it's corona). I'm also hesitant to put the stuff anywhere cool lest my roommate or someone else see me carrying the bottles around because they look very much like bottles of piss, I also don't want to admit to him what I'm actually doing.

So close, goon. If you had said you were doing this for a girl/guy, you'd be the next goonmeme.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
not smoking weed to get that job

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Being a straight, cisgender, white man. Nobody has it tougher than them.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm considering starting a company that makes eurorack synth modules, even though I already have two other jobs. I just figured it would be a fun way to both make and sell stuff, and also give me an excuse to buy lots of rack modules and kits and generally tinker around with it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

corgski posted:

You are but a little child. Behold, the master of terminal emulation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

gonna watch this in full later, I'm curious about how they did it

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
socks on last

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

So close, goon. If you had said you were doing this for a girl/guy, you'd be the next goonmeme.

I don't think any self-respecting person would drink this stuff.

I've almost finished all of it now, getting more and more shitfaced. It's deceptive because I grit my teeth and swallow it quickly and it's hard to taste the alcohol through the yeast and sort of funky flavor which I assume comes from the lack of hygiene during brewing.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Supreme Allah posted:

'breh I drive a stick'

you are a stick

Gear sticks only make sense for right hand drive. The coordination is much more intuitive since clutch and stick are both on the left hand side with right hand on the wheel.

It still loving sucks though cause you only drive like 50m before the next traffic light.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

olives black posted:

Go back to a cassette player instead of using MP3 players. Tape sounds cool, and there's something really satisfying about hitting the exact beginning of a song with rewind/fast forward.
Even standalone MP3 players are now making things harder for little to no gain, really. I love my FiiO X3-II since I listen to so much music not available on streaming services, but even typing its name reminds me how obnoxious it is for me to own it, and since I forgot to actually check if my new car had an audio out jack (it does not, let alone a CD player) suddenly it is even harder to use than before. Clearly I need to figure out how to hack Bluetooth into it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm going to reluctantly take up white-knighting "car culture" because it's become some kind of popular catch-phrase bullshit in GBS lately that needs to loving stop.

People mentioning cars, people USING a loving car, a car existing, a car having automatic transmission or not, a car needing gas or NOT needing gas, and confirming ANY of these points in any capacity is not loving "Car Culture" and you are a loving moron if you use the phrase "car culture" or think about the words "car culture" in your mind.

You're a goddamn moron and more insufferable than the people you're outraged against and it's time people called you out for being the idiots you are.

How am I doing so far in my resolution? Good?

Well great. Because you sound like complete loving dipshit losers who can't deal with the basics of western civilization and your world around you and you're struggling to find something, literally, any one thing to be outraged about that sets you apart from other people who are outraged at something, but you had to go and try to find something unique enough to be pissed off about that'd make you stand out JUST enough to make you stand out, but not enough that you can effectively DO anything about it, but you know, easy enough to convince others that you're "one of the good guys" for just being mad about it in general you loving moron.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I'm going to reluctantly take up white-knighting "car culture" because it's become some kind of popular catch-phrase bullshit in GBS lately that needs to loving stop.

People mentioning cars, people USING a loving car, a car existing, a car having automatic transmission or not, a car needing gas or NOT needing gas, and confirming ANY of these points in any capacity is not loving "Car Culture" and you are a loving moron if you use the phrase "car culture" or think about the words "car culture" in your mind.

You're a goddamn moron and more insufferable than the people you're outraged against and it's time people called you out for being the idiots you are.

Well great. Because you sound like complete loving dipshit losers who can't deal with the basics of western civilization and your world around you and you're struggling to find something, literally, any one thing to be outraged about that sets you apart from other people who are outraged at something, but you had to go and try to find something unique enough to be pissed off about that'd make you stand out JUST enough to make you stand out, but not enough that you can effectively DO anything about it, but you know, easy enough to convince others that you're "one of the good guys" for just being mad about it in general you loving moron.

Hey man. How you doin? Feeling alright?

I’ve been really craving taking a swim lately.

Sucks I can’t. But hopefully soon.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Even standalone MP3 players are now making things harder for little to no gain, really. I love my FiiO X3-II since I listen to so much music not available on streaming services, but even typing its name reminds me how obnoxious it is for me to own it, and since I forgot to actually check if my new car had an audio out jack (it does not, let alone a CD player) suddenly it is even harder to use than before. Clearly I need to figure out how to hack Bluetooth into it

I wonder how expensive it is to hack an AUX port into modern cars. I imagine the hardware can't be THAT pricy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Big Beef City posted:

You're an uncultured car