Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

When are they going to actually release the Outlands single-player content?

June iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm glad they seem to have gotten over their hangup when it comes to buffing cards, though it won't be enough to save Shaman, and it won't really do anything for Paladin.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Trying to get more value out of your cards at the cost of tempo, usually to the point that you lose control of the match.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

fuckin yikes with the supremacist undertones in this book

that's warcraft for you i suppose

Yeah Uther has always been a racist granpda. It's weird they didn't tone that down considering all the changes they made to his interactions with Arthas.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The first hourly update:
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1351575195966976010

Imprisoned Celestial seems crazy to me, Lightsteed is ok.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

enki42 posted:

I think it's more dude paladin. If you're heading into turn 5 with an established board in pure / libram you've probably already won.

You don't necessarily need an established board; this curves nicely into the 5 mana 4/6 taunt and the +1/+1 libram.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Made a few changes to my pure Paladin deck and went 12-0 in ranked today :toot:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Post your list please!

### Pure
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) First Day of School
# 2x (1) Aldor Attendant
# 2x (2) Air Raid
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 2x (2) Libram of Wisdom
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 1x (3) Bronze Explorer
# 2x (3) Goody Two-Shields
# 2x (3) Underlight Angling Rod
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Lightforged Zealot
# 2x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
# 2x (5) Libram of Justice
# 1x (6) Hammer of the Naaru
# 2x (7) Lightforged Crusader
# 1x (8) High Exarch Yrel
# 2x (9) Libram of Hope
#
AAECAaToAgSQrgP8uAOF3gOI3gMN3AObrgOcrgOWtgPKuAP7uAP9uAPquQPruQPsuQPKwQOezQPK0QMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I'm only using Bronze Explorer because I don't have a second copy of Hammer of the Naaru. I'm not sure what the standard pure paladin deck looks like but this has been working pretty well for me. It might be a little too weapon heavy at the moment as I'm frequently holding an extra Lightforged Zealot or Angling Rod back. I wanna put some of the new cards in but I probably won't have the gold for the expansion until the end of the month.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's been half a decade but I saw someone playing Tinkmaster Overspark in ranked today, some kind of token DH.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Chernabog posted:

Dirty rat back on the menu.

Yeah just play Dirty Rat and Hecklebot and grind the free concedes they generate.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I really do not understand how Blizzard has not managed to figure out how to add any time dedicated to animations to the turn timer.

e: or, how to only start the turn timer once you're able to actually interact with the board, which seems like it might be as simple as swapping the order of a couple lines of code.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 25, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've spent about 15 hours this week bouncing between rank 1 and rank 2 Diamond. I just can't break through to legend, all because of that new Paladin deck that always has the turn 4 combo against me.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Am I going to get a new hero portrait or whatver from the solo poo poo or is it just extra dust?

You get a pack of cards that are all from the class that you did the solo adventure for. I also feel like they have a higher legendary chance than usual but I probably just got lucky (2 legendaries from 5 packs). You gotta buy the portrait.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

It is really neat that they're doing a 'exactly as released' mode with a ladder. I can't even remember what the meta looked like in the very early days.

It looked like garbage, 30 minute mirror matches between fatigue warriors made up of 29 removal cards and Grom Hellscream.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Which sets won't get a single card in the core set, I wonder. I could do without bringing back anything from GvG or the Grand Tournament.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hooktusk's power lets you turn battlecry minions into something useful. Lich Baz'hial works great with a demon build if you can find a Mal'ganis to get rid of the downside on his hero power. You want to use Kragg's hero power when you need it rather than holding out for an ideal gold total.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think Gibberling Druid might be a little problematic.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If they make more humanoid tribes I would prefer they stay like pirates where it's about what their job is rather than what their race is.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think you're talking about the tri-class cards from Mean Streets of Gadgetzan.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I hope we get the full details of the new core set. I know they'll do a full reveal season for the expansion so I'd prefer they get the core out of the way right now.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

From my experience it's a tough matchup for Pure Palaldin but it loses against too many other decks.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mankrik's Bloodlust: 1 mana Quest: Destroy 30 minions. Reward: 10 gold.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:siren: new game mode :siren:

oh my god its slay the spire

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Color Printer posted:

They're adding spell schools, which are basically minion types but for spells (they're retroactively adding them to the old cards, too). I wondered when that was gonna happen and has a lot of neat potential.

boy i just... just CAN'T WAIT for that official frost mage support.

e: then again, all the freeze synergy they've made since classic has been garbage, so that probably wouldn't change.

e2: the new dragons seemed to be designed with the thought "how do we get people to stop breaking the game by cheating these motherfuckers out"

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 19, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Everyone missed that they announced spell schools too (e.g. tribes for spell cards and not just minions)... which are "permanently" introduced with the new expansion. Wonder how many non-base set cards they're going to change to include a school.

Color Printer didn't miss it :colbert:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm liking Kibler's hair.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Mankrik is real :laffo:

No... NO

e: nevermind, thought they were really gonna make a chuck norris reference card.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finally Vanessa gets in, cool effect too.

That Shaman 1 drop is going to be played forever jesus christ.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Each summoned Mankrik is a different man(krik) who happens to have the same name.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah they didn't exactly show the potential of the spell schools with the one synergy they showed being a slightly more niche spell damage buff. It's probably going to be used to limit random spell generation e.g. "Add a random Fire spell to your hand".

e: oh, I forgot the Spirit Healer that gives +2 health to a minion for each Holy spell cast.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 20, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Quotey posted:

In WoW, Shaman uses Frost, Fire and Nature. Maybe we'll see some Shocks!

Frost and Earth shock are already in the game, they just suck.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The spell damage totem is being removed and replaced with one that gives a +1 attack to a friendly minion at the end of each of your turns

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Sharing a new four card OTK making the rounds, possible from New-Ysera.

So assuming Windfury and a cheap Charger make the cut in the new Core set, this is doable and is a possible turn 7 OTK with Lightning Blooms (just have to Ysera on turn 5).

That's only 22/24 damage though? 27/29 with Awakens

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You're right, I'm not sure why I didn't count the original nightmare cast.

Acerbatus posted:

so is Lava shock for that matter.

Malygos change is end of an era. new shaman legendary looks bad lol.

e: vanessa is almost insultingly bad compared to edwin lol.

Tbf pretty much every card is pretty bad compared to pre-nerf Edwin, he was ridiculous. Vanessa is decent but the effect is kind of tame. I feel like they could have made the same card a rare for Priest.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 20, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

IIRC its a once per turn effect

e: I did not remember correctly

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 21, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's hard to really get a read on anything because for the first time we don't really know what the baseline is. Of the cards revealed so far, I feel like Bru'kan, and maybe Spirit Healer are the only ones that would see any play right now, and even then I'm not sure how viable lightning burn Shaman would be right now. Druid of the Plains and Blademaster Samuro could be good with the right support, and Chain Lightning's viability depends on what the other meta decks are doing.

Desperate Prayer could see use in wild in an Auchenai burn Priest deck, but it's definitely not good on its own.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I mean, if you look at Sunscale Raptor, then chances are good that the effect doesn't go off. But it's a 1 mana 1/3 beast in hunter, Dire Mole was really good for them. This is Dire Mole with an occasional upside. Mages can't pre-ping it for example, there might be other situations where the effect goes off. But if not, it's still a solid card.

Of the other 4 frenzy cards, 2 do have rush, 1 has stats that make it not too unlikely that it will survive at least one attack, and one is a 2 mana pack filler. I wouldn't count it out just yet. But you're right, it's not that strong on it's own, the cards need to either have good stats for it's cost, rush, or perhaps a frenzy effect so strong if it goes off that it demands hard removal from your opponent.

The thing is, Raptor's effect might be a downside. Sure, a 1 mana 3/4 is good value, but you're probably only drawing it late game when you want something with some immediate impact on the board or some burn to close out the game.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's been an honor and a privilege posting with you all, rest in peace Blizzard Games subforum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960008

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Should we just make a new thread? We were about to enter a new standard year anyway, and the OP is perma'd. Here's what I put together so far
title "Hearthstone: Forged in the Barrens Chat"

It's Blizzard's take on Magic: The Gathering, drawing inspiration from World of Warcraft lore. The newest cycle of cards appears to be taking influence specifically from vanilla (or "classic" if you prefer) WoW, with the first expansion being Horde focused, the second likely Alliance themed, and the third being Alterac Valley, based on this preview image:

Big Changes for this year

Year of the Gryphon: The current rotation is the Year of the Gryphon. This includes the Year of the Phoenix cards (Ashes of Outland, Scholomance Academy, and Madness at the Darkmoon Faire) as well as the Year of the Gryphon sets (currently Forged in the Barrens. New sets come out about every 4 months, so the next one will probably be around July).

Core Set: Blizzard continues its trend of learning what the Magic: The Gathering team learned 20 years ago. They're replacing the old Basic and Classic sets with a new Core set that will be modified every year and will be created from a mix of new and old cards. The Core set will also be free to all players, allowing everyone to have a decent base of cards to work from no matter when they start.

Mercenaries: Not much is known about this new game mode, so far it looks like a Slay the Spire clone.

Classic: Play the game as it was back when it was first released.

Game modes

Standard: Compete against other players using a deck of 30 cards from the newest core set, this year's expansions, and all of the previous calendar year's expansions. There's are casual and ranked queues.

The ranking system goes Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Legend, with the first five divisions having 10 ranks each. Based on your final ranking from the previous month, you get bonus stars that make you climb the initial ladder faster. Every 5 ranks, and Legend, is a floor you can't drop below, and provides rewards at the end of the month.

Wild: Same as Standard except that you have access to all the cards.

Battlegrounds: If standard Hearthstone is wizard poker, this mode is wizard slots. Try to create the strongest board of minions from a semi-random selection, then watch in horror as the RNG pulls out a miraculous victory for your opponent.

Arena: Draft a deck of 30 cards and play to either 12 wins or, much more likely, 3 losses.

Duels: This mode is the old dungeon run adventures converted to multiplayer. Build an initial deck of 15 cards and a pick of starting hero power and treasure, then play until you hit 12 wins or 3 losses. After every game, you're offered a few cards to add to your deck, and are often also offered a treasure that is either a powerful card or a passive ability that stays in effect for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think I'll make a new thread once we're closer to rotation, I originally asked because I thought I could make the new thread before the move, but now we're already here, so we might as well ride it out for a bit.