Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

We can however use it to do good. 50% of the population can be controlled by emotions and memes. Right now would be a great time to have them gather in large groups.

And lick each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:wtf: is up with new Camrys being so factory :rice: ?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

I am going to build in Indiana, don’t want a basement.

Never lived in a house where it didn’t have problems with water, mold, structural issues, rodents or snakes. gently caress that, why pay more for more problems. Give me a slab with a designated storm room inside.

Since the kitchen is (mostly) done, I've turned my attention to the basement. It's ~800 sqft of finished space that took a serious hit with the two water damage incidents we've had in the past year.

House was built in 1999. It was built to a reasonably high builder's grade. No ornate finishes, but solid structure. Floor trusses, steel beams and supports for the main spaces, etc.

The thing I'm most thankful for is the waterproofing system they installed. In 2007 when we moved in, I saw that the waterproofing system had a 30 year warranty and I liked that. 2/3 of the way in, I can't believe how well it works.

I've always had and seen basement issues before, too. We sold my grandparents awesome house because of structural basement issues that really couldn't have been resolved without lifting the house and rebuilding the foundation. Even in my area, more than half of the basements I go into have a musty smell, but not ours.

From what I can see, the waterproofing system is a spray-on flexible membrane, then a layer of fiberglass insulation, then a backfill of small aggregate.

When I started the tearout, we had a 15'x12' area that had a riser built up (previous owner for a home theater... who puts something in to DECREASE headroom in a basement???) I always hated that riser. So I tore it out last week. Solid 2x6 pressure treated lumber construction with no vapor barrier. Dead dry underneath. Even the walls where the furring strips on the concrete walls went to the floor, they had the fiberglass insulation touching the floor as well. And that was dry.

So not all basements are wet, moldy nightmares.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but your preface is: It's ~800 sqft of finished space that took a serious hit with the two water damage incidents we've had in the past year.

Fair point, but there was $50k damage done to the main floor and only $10k done to the basement. :D

I was answering to dry basements with regards to water incursion from the outside. Water leaking from pipes can/will destroy any part of a house where the condition exists.

It's made me paranoid. I installed a Moen Flo on the main and have 3 immediate sensors in the primary trouble points that will shut off water to the house the instant they get wet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Galler posted:

I'm planning on getting something like that at some point. This one popped up in my Amazon suggestions but I've done zero research on this topic so I don't know if it's any good. https://smile.amazon.com/Moen-Chrome-Volume-Control900001/dp/B00C03D01Q?th=1

Exactly what I installed. Note that it relies on flow analysis to determine a leak. There's also add-on sensors: https://www.amazon.com/Moen-920-004...a-search&sr=8-1 that will signal the valve to close immediately if moisture is detected. Got those behind refrigerator, dishwasher, under sink.

It's probably overkill at this point, but the amount of damage and disruption there was, I'm more than a bit paranoid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jonathan posted:

Interesting purchase. The big tires suck for towing. I'd consider getting some f350 factory takeoffs for when you're towing. You'll get better mileage but more importantly, way better towing manners. And craigslist oem takeoffs with 0 miles are usually pretty cheap. The more sturdy tire pumped up to 70 or 80psi will do wonders in rutted up roads and especially crosswinds at hwy speed.

On a longer trip, the mental fatigue gets really bothersome when you're always concentrating on the tail wagging the dog.

Tremek posted:

Word, Grand Design is at the top of my list but I'm not finding many around here that fit the bill. Jayco may not be quite AS well-built as Grand Design but I get the impression it's well-regarded too.

It's never been my thing, so I haven't looked into it, but out of curiousity, here's a couple stupid questions --

At what point do you switch to a fifth wheel? The one Tremek linked looks really long. Also, do people ride IN the trailer during transit, or do you need to pack into the truck?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Usually, they are also about as safe in a crash as a wet paper bag.

Which leads to my next question -- when do you decide to get a bus instead of a truck/trailer setup? Are buses / motorhomes that much more expensive?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I like how the chassis tries to exit out the rear.

I don't like how they use the passengers as crumple zones.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'll just stay in a hotel.

Really, unless you're using an RV every other week or actually living in it what's the point. For the ridiculous prices of RVs these days you could stay in nice hotels at the destination you wanted to go to and rent a drat car if you need one.

If I feel the need to go camping I'll use a tent.

Look at this guy, talking like we still lived in the time of aeroplanes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

taqueso posted:

This is a strange conversation given that we know a forward control camper killdozer fixes all these problems with cardboard construction

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

So along these lines, woke up today and decided by first and best course of action was to tweet to Elon. Conveniently my wife wasn't awake yet to stop me!

https://twitter.com/dorashan/status/1259140320094064640?s=20

Would be about as surreal as as anything the simulation's thrown at me to see Elon come back at me.

On the Elon front, did everyone else read the WSJ story yesterday that Elon is fantastically cash poor. To the point that he has 3 homes in the LA area on the market, plus he has $1 billion in stock options open, but he needs ~$600M cash to exercise them... and he doesn't have the scratch. What he does have is 20% Tesla stock which he needs for his controlling interest, but has that leveraged, too...

I've said for years that Musk is going to go down as a genius or a huckster, and the resolution is going to be binary.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh god, a Celica Supra showed up for sale... One of the coolest body shapes, but I seem to remember that parts are hard to come by... Still...

The roundy first gen or the angular second gen? I remember Dad shopping back in the early '80s and the original roundy Supra just came out. He was looking at it and decided to wait. I'm glad he did. He ended up getting one of the first second gen cars. That was one of my first "cool car" experiences. The angular design was a huge departure, especially the sport package that he got with the fender flares, chunky wheels and speed. Not fast by today's metrics (in fact, quite slow in comparison), but it was one hell of a car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sunday morning cleaning -- Summit Racing 1-time use coupon for $20 off $100, if anyone can use it -- ZT81151452

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ugh. Halfway through replacing a toilet and I'm reminded how much I hate plumbing, even when nothing is going wrong.

Toilets are messy. Big garbage bag over the bottom immediately after you lift.

I just tried one of these and I was skeptical, but worked perfectly first time... something I've never had happen with a wax ring.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Better-Than-Wax-Universal-Wax-Free-Toilet-Seal-7530P24/205762183

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

Pulled the trigger on a top of the line Ego self propelled mower today. Battery is charging now.

After watching dozens of youtube reviews the Ego just seemed better engineered and more powerful than any other cordless mower. Cons: it was expensive

I got one last year. No regrets. It is pretty amazingly capable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Maksimus54 posted:

Tremek much respect to you, but you probably shouldn't be crossing the nation during these times. It's not the responsible thing to do.

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't caught more flak for this. This forum has been wildly anti-corona but as soon as one of their own wants to take the family on a cross country trip amid a rise in cases it's all bon voyage.

I think you're overreacting. I'm only going out to the grocery and a couple hardware store trips per week. If I needed gas, I'd get gas. I don't think he's putting himself, his family, or the public at any increased risk by moving around, as long as he stays safe and sane.

In getting gas, I use gloves and dispose of them at the pump, he can do the same thing. There's no more chance of going to different stores than there is going to the same one over and over. We have to be careful, but not crazy. There is crazy on both sides of this one.

I just hope his kids aren't doorknob lickers. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Well presented answer and I think I'm guilty of missing the real potential consequences. I'm in a state that's been shut down since March 15th, so I think I'm starting to get a bit complacent, seeing that the early shutdown has limited the spread in this state (well, we'll see if that's true, they're starting random testing with 1200 households, that data should be very interesting).

It's a tough pill to swallow that we should limit ourselves this much, but it makes sense. And I'd really like to hang out at my parents for a bit since they're only a couple miles away... except they're both boomers with pre-existing conditions that would make them more likely to have a bad time.

So I guess that's just where we're at. Smart money says "fully hole up." But there's a mix of need-tos and want-tos that are out and about.

Weird times.

Previa_fun posted:

I got this years model with the dual blades. First thing I did was swap the lowe blade to the gator style blade as it seems to have a lot more lift. Also ego blades are the sharpest mower blades I've ever seen and I sliced my thumb being careless.

My whole lot is only a quarter of an acre so I'm hoping the single 7.5ah battery will be enough.

I've got a 7.5ah battery and it does my .3 acre yard with no issues, under most circumstances/mowing patterns. One thing that's really cool about the mower is that it increases torque when it senses more grass resistance (when it's longer/wet). When it's really spooled up, it sounds like an electric mower. But that also eats battery. I've had a couple times where I've exhausted the 7.5 battery, but I also have a 2.5? from the blower that will do in a pinch for no downtime. The blower is great, too.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of shut downs, what's the chicken/beef situation been like for you the last week or so? For some reason I keep finding protein at normal prices despite so many people posting on FB that they can't find poo poo. It's to the point that my tiny deep freeze is totally full of meat and veggies so I'm looking to buy a 15 cubit foot freezer.

Beef seems to be in good supply in hamburger form, just hovering at $3.5/lb. Chicken is super spotty.

Oh, and also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqMUwyLNAA

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 11, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

cakesmith handyman posted:

E: I just started watching community, does it get better?

Community hits a really good groove somewhere between season .5 and 1.5, I forget where... it runs strong until the last season, which was weak, imo.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 11, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I ordered some sunglasses online today and this was my confirmation email :v:

You know that you need to recreate that picture once you get them, right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Only 45k people die every year in US from shootings so this 70+ thousand in 2 months dead from the 'Rona is totally just libs overreacting!

Or go with the "just the flu" argument... except that this is ANOTHER flu that has killed more in 2 months than the "normal" flu does in a year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy. gently caress.

https://www.ign.com/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-and-2-remake-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-pc

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I've got a couple cars that are outside and barely driven at all. So I just looked at Amazon for a solar charger.

It's interesting to see how prices are reacting to the current state of affairs. Random solar charger on Amazon is up 25% over just a few months ago. Looks like lots of people have cars that aren't staying topped up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Speaking of second-gen Supras... Dad sent me a link to this one on BaT saying it was just like his. Well, it's close. His was an '82 in Terra Cotta instead of red, so it didn't have headlight washers and the rear decal was a small one on the right side that read "Celica Supra," but it's damned close.

Can't be many of these around left in this condition.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-toyota-celica-supra-8/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

Dude. I really hope she’s ok.

This is awful, this timeline is awful, and people need to start taking this seriously.

gently caress this month. Things are good by me, but man some of you guys are hurting and I feel for you. :glomp:

We just got out from a trip intending to look at landscape plants. Home Depot was loving packed. What the gently caress is the point of all this if you just go back and start packing in like bozos the minute the weather turns nice? I get it, it's beautiful out and we've been kept up inside too long... that doesn't mean that EVERYONE is entitled to go to the stores at once, that's what we were AVOIDING.

No, we didn't go in. We didn't even go through the parking lot. Just drove by, went the long way home and decided that we'll go mid-week when nobody's there. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Proper cul-de-sac Keeping Up With The Joneses intimidation

suburban_dominance.jpg

quote:

Slow progress being made on the house but the contractor claims the concrete will get poured this PM:

That wraparound porch transforms the look of the house.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Safety Dance posted:

That pizza is gorgeous. What temperature do you bake it, and do you preheat the thingy you're making it on?

We've been making cast iron skillet pizzas a couple times a week for the past few months, and they're amazing. I put the dough in the skillet and heat that over a burner while I build the rest of the pizza. The browning on the bottom is perfect. Recipe

I love that the recipe specifies a "glug" quantity of olive oil! My kinda measurements.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

sharkytm posted:

Amen. I love cooking, and am annoyed by baking.

Yep, I've got no interest in baking, but I cook. My wife bakes, but doesn't like cooking. It works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay possible solution to Outback engine woes found.

300Kw EJ25 what could possibly go wrong?

(wiring probably but as long as it fuckign leaves my driveway this century IDGAF)

Have you thought about taking it to a mechanic?

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's my birthday!

:toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban lawn chat:

This Ego mower just made a believer out of me. Since Monday, we've had over 4 1/2" of rain. On the highest setting, the mower still had grass 5" above the deck. I used my first small battery to get maybe 1/8 of the yard done before it died. Put it on the charger to finish up after the main battery died.
Never needed the small battery again, the main battery did everything else.

The neighbor stopped me and said "What IS that thing? I'm struggling having to bag every 2 swipes and you're just walking back and forth!"

It's that good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah these things own. We're supposed to have rain all weekend so by the time I get to mow again my yard will probably be in a similar state only not nearly as pretty.

Seriously though that's a nice lookin yard

Thanks. I was introduced to "lawn dominance" by the husband of my wife's best friend. There's a guy on Youtube that espouses the benefit of dominating your neighbors. I laughed when he suggested it, but since then, I've realized that is exactly what I've been doing for a couple decades.

The lawn situation in suburbia is for real, yo.

My secrets -- overfeed. I have a 15000 sqft lot, but I put down the fertilizer for 15000 sqft of space. My house and mulch beds have huge footprints, so actual grass area is around 9000sqft. This gets the grass just to the burnout threshold. Over time, it makes the grass stupid dark and green. The other secret is to keep the grass long. That lets the grass self-shade during the summer, which helps in the burning/drought months. Plus, it makes the grass thrust its roots down during that time.

The reality, though, is that my yard took one hell of a hit last year, either from heat or grubs, and it is 20% dead space right now. It's a bit of a bummer, but hopefully the overseed I did last week will help fill in before it browns out by mid June. :rolleyes:

suburban life is hard.

Geoj posted:

He probably got the "new" one (came out last year IIRC) that does automatic winding when you need to refill the head with string.

Probably. That new head looks baller, but the battery he gave away did 1/8 of my yard. All the Ego batteries are interchangable and the little ones can get you out of a bind when using the mower.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

taqueso posted:

Another 'secret' is to pay extra for the good seed from a grass seed retailer. The stuff you get at the hardware store, even the premium label, is crap.

For example: https://www.preferredseed.com/category/?cid=55

There is a national turf seed rating program where they grow all kinds of grass in different climates in the US, NTEP, if you want to dive in deep. Some of the newer grasses just turn darker green when they go dormant, they don't turn brown.

meatpimp is absolutely right about length, something like 3" is a good spot and with good grass it will feel so soft and lush. Additionally, you stress the grass more when you cut off larger amounts of the blade, so longer grass (and more frequent cuttings) will help keep stress as low as possible.

re: dominating, I overheard my neighbor complaining to guests that our improved lawn care hers look bad 🥰

God drat. You just upped my game.

Elviscat posted:

My horrible boss I've had for the past two years is leaving my office! He hosed everything up and made it 5x as hard to get work done as necessary, so I'm smoking some pork butt, and my coworkers are gonna come over for beers in celebration.

gently caress yeah.

gently caress yeah, indeed!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My awesome pair of barn swallows, who flew within feet of me while mowing picking up the insects that I rousted, got driven out of their nest by cocksucking sparrows. I'm unreasonably upset about nature being a dick. Just 2 days ago, the male was right over top of my wife and I, sitting on a porch light talking. Just this morning the female didn't even fly from the nest with eggs when we were on the porch.

:mad:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

At one point we had a dude named Das Volk that had a very mental ACR but people got all weird

And he got weird and super goony.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not to be too like, 2020 sjw woke bullshit or whatever but whenever anyone has a username like Das Volk i kind of uhh have some questions

I was FB friends with him for a while. Defriended him when he went full MAGA, so... I guess I can't disprove your theory.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

So, you're implying that while you don't care about our lovely opinions, we should care about yours?

I took it to mean "Nobody cares about anyone else's vehicle opinions, so keep them to yourself. Judgement from a Miata-driver isn't going to change anyone's mind and is kinda dickish."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Forgot why I stopped posting in AI, thanks for reminding me.

He can't even make a Subaru run, don't pay him any attention. The rest of us are cool. Except for me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Scathach posted:

Okay if someone that dumb shoots their dick off I'm fine with it. There. I said it. :colbert:

Second.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

daslog posted:

The former owners of the property was the head of the local flower club. She had paths put in, planted flowers everywhere, and and did tours for groups like the girl scouts back in the 80's. Then she got old and everything was overgrown. What I want to do is open it up again, extend the back yard, and then maintain it.

What I was thinking was that I can take out all of the small stuff on my own and leave the really big stuff to a company. There is definitely an argument to be made that I'd be better off hiring a company to do all of the work, but I really want a tractor too :). I'm also thinking that it doesn't make sense to buy something that isn't going to be up to the task.

Tractors are good and Kubota makes good tractors. The B series is smaller than it looks, but has enough power to handle most of what you're looking to do. I know Dad had a B series and a bigger John Deere, but ended up using the Kubota more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Live stream for manned Falcon/Dragon launch if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb9FdVdX5I

Scrubbed.