Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

not caring here posted:

So with all these crazy poo poo on video tape, how big are the lawsuits gonna be?

Bigger payouts than the cost of the vandalism but nobody will mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty sure they can, they just can't claim to be representing the military.

Or be in uniform, of course.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on the actions of Senator and Vice President Biden he supports this and will continue to support this.

Occupy was Obama. Ferguson was Obama.

Yes, Obama's AG vastly increased DoJ use of consent decrees against local police departments, civil rights investigations, and saw the first actual reduction of the federal prison population.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Almost as if class is the issue

...no? Not at all? Cities tend to vote Democratic, cities tend to be more diverse than suburbs and rural areas, and police and DAs are racist everywhere. Race is absolutely the issue here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Racism is baked into American capitalism to divide the classes, dumbass

Whether or not that's true, racism is such a part of American culture and history that it exists as its own problem apart from any class issues. The inability for Bernie and his supporters to see racism for itself and not just as an aspect of the all encompassing class war is why he got so little support from the people most affected by racism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PeterCat posted:

Hispanic people and young black people aren't affected by racism?

The reasons that the majority of older black people didn't support Sanders has more to do with how conservative they are and Biden being Obama's VP.

Police brutality is most definitely a class issue. The video I posted earlier in the thread of white police killing a white man in a small town in Iowa is completely about class. The police absolutely treat people differently based on the class of the people they are dealing with. Racism is another part of the mix but isn't the the end all be all of the problem.

A video of police killing a white guy doesn't make their disproportionate use of force against black men go away. I also didn't way race is the entire problem but racism is definitely a problem that has to be considered apart from class issues. Teachers giving harsher punishments to black boys isn't a class issue. Police and juries viewing black men as inherently more threatening than anyone else is not a class issue. Southern slaveholders promoted a white supremacist view in which black men are violent animals in order to justify owning human beings as property. That's an economic origin of the problem. This portrayal persisted and persists to this day to the point where most white people have implicit bias against black men apart from any class considerations. That aspect absolutely has to be addressed. Economic equality cannot and will not exist as long as cultural racist attitudes persist.

Woofer posted:

Racism and class issues go hand in hand because you can’t fix one without having a significant effect on the other.

Yeah this is true and I was responding to this dumbfuck clownshoe take

Almost as if class is the issue

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol that's a lot of words that mean nothing at all

Sorry you're illiterate. Keep trying and maybe you can read one day.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stravag posted:

Proving that white teenagers are the loving worst there is now a Floyd challenge where you have someone kneel on your neck and video tape it and i don't even know any more

Is it more or less real than the Tide pods?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It's consistently better than The Onion these days.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2020/05/coronavirus-cancels-billions-of-man-hours-of-pointless-military-bullshit/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

The NYPD is in a police riot right now, beating up everyone for curfew violations, complete with the commissioners and supervisors on sites.

But the fascism award of the day goes to Buffalo PD.

Here's the statement:

https://twitter.com/JeffRussoWKBW/status/1268712651292643334

"one person was injured when he tripped and fell"

https://twitter.com/WBFO/status/1268712530358292484?s=20

... because the police shoved him and nearly killed him, if they didn't.

Best part is the cop who stops to see if he's okay and his buddy grabs him to move him along because helping people is NOT what we do here, rookie!

I think it's an accurate good:bad cop ratio representation there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I laughed at this and feel like I shouldn't have, but still so good.

I bought some bottled water, hand sanitizer and snacks, collected some other donations from people in my building, and rode all 50 lbs of it strapped to my bike rack and in a backpack down to an area of DC where volunteers are making kits for protestors. Gonna feel pretty loving sore in a few hours but I'm glad I did it. Personally I'm feeling kind of iffy about participating in actions given the whole COVID situation and living in a building full of elderly and immunosuppressed people, but I think my wife and I are feeling the need to stand up and be counted. There's supposed to be a vigil in DC tomorrow afternoon and we're thinking about going- even though it's been peaceful in DC for the past few days, part of me wonders whether it's a good idea for us to stagger our participation so that if something happens to either of us, Lando will still be cared for. Either way, I'll have a bag packed with all the surplus medical stuff I got from my former 18D friend and plenty of water bottles in case things get froggy.

I understand. I was happy to spend my nights in clouds of tear gas and turmoil in Ferguson but now I've got two little kids and elderly parents in the middle of a pandemic. So my wife and I are alternating showing up (one goes, one watches the kids) at the 100% green daytime protests for calm white people who responsibly wear masks. Not really where I want to be, but you gotta do what's right for you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yes, it's spelled out in doctrine:

quote:

any theory or form whatsoever of racism and racial discrimination is morally unacceptable

quote:

racism is not merely one sin among many, it is a radical evil dividing the human family

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pretty much only the catholics care.

And even then...
In the 15th century, even before Europeans were aware of the New World, the Pope condemned African slavery:

quote:

They have deprived the natives of their property or turned it to their own use, and have subjected some of the inhabitants of said islands to perpetual slavery, sold them to other persons and committed other various illicit and evil deeds against them.... Therefore We ... exhort, through the sprinkling of the Blood of Jesus Christ shed for their sins, one and all, temporal princes, lords, captains, armed men, barons, soldiers, nobles, communities and all others of every kind among the Christian faithful of whatever state, grade or condition, that they themselves desist from the aforementioned deeds, cause those subject to them to desist from them, and restrain them rigorously. And no less do We order and command all and each of the faithful of each sex that, within the space of fifteen days of the publication of these letters in the place where they live, that they restore to their pristine liberty all and each person of either sex who were once residents of said Canary Islands ... who have been made subject to slavery. These people are to be totally and perpetually free and are to be let go without the exaction or reception of any money.

And in the 16th century the Pope condemned slavery of Indians:

quote:

the enemy of the human race, who always opposes all good men so that the race may perish, has thought up a way, unheard of before now, by which he might impede the saving word of God from being preached to the nations. He has stirred up some of his allies who, desiring to satisfy their own avarice, are presuming to assert far and wide that the Indians of the West and the South who have come to our notice in these times be reduced to our service like brute animals, under the pretext that they are lacking the Catholic Faith. And they reduce them to slavery, treating them with afflictions they would scarcely use with brute animals.
Therefore, We, . . . noting that the Indians themselves indeed are true men and are not only capable of the Christian faith, but, as has been made known to us, promptly hasten to the faith' and wishing to provide suitable remedies for them, by our Apostolic Authority decree and declare by these present letters that the same Indians and all other peoples—even though they are outside the faith—who shall hereafter come to the knowledge of Christians have not been deprived or should not be deprived of their liberty or of their possessions. Rather they are to be able to use and enjoy this liberty and this ownership of property freely and licitly, and are not to be reduced to slavery, and that whatever happens to the contrary is to be considered null and void. These same Indians and other peoples are to be invited to the said faith in Christ by preaching and the example of a good life

And the Spanish, who named everything after saints and put crosses on everything, did not give a single poo poo about this because hey cheap labor.

Then by the time America became a thing,

quote:

The slave trade, although it has been somewhat diminished, is still carried on by numerous Christians. Therefore, desiring to remove such a great shame from all Christian peoples ... and walking in the footsteps of Our Predecessors, We, by apostolic authority, warn and strongly exhort in the Lord faithful Christians of every condition that no one in the future dare to bother unjustly, despoil of their possessions, or reduce to slavery Indians, Blacks or other such peoples. Nor are they to lend aid and favor to those who give themselves up to these practices, or exercise that inhuman traffic by which the Blacks, as if they were not humans but rather mere animals, having been brought into slavery in no matter what way, are, without any distinction and contrary to the rights of justice and humanity, bought, sold and sometimes given over to the hardest labor.
We prohibit and strictly forbid any Ecclesiastic or lay person from presuming to defend as permissible this trade in Blacks under no matter what pretext or excuse, or from publishing or teaching in any manner whatsoever, in public or privately, opinions contrary to what We have set forth in these Apostolic Letters.

And yet there were loving priests in America who owned slaves.

Greed's gonna win.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alaan posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1269649093392990208?s=19

I'm glad we discovered exotic matter and it's only use is pepper spray

Also they found cans of CS on scene any way so natural / synthetic debate is moot

Waiting for "CS is not a tear gas, it's an aerosol."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

IT JUST MEANS SCOUT SNIPER STOP OPPRESSING WHITE PEOPLE!! :freep:

0351 is Assaultman, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pryor on Fire posted:

This post reminds me of all the people saying we should have given billions in tax breaks to (soon to be trillioniare) Jeff Bezos for another HQ in NY because they will just build somewhere else if we don't. It's all about a dynamic competitive free market people, we need the best and brightest!

They were all completely wrong too. Whenever people start talking about supply and demand in a weird abstract way it's like a clue.

The quality right now is zero. You cannot compromise any further. Drunk high school kids roaming the streets with glowsticks and phones would be more effective than many of our police officers.

Yeah, I just love all the people saying "oh who will live there now with no police to protect you...
50% homicide clearance rate

Minneapolis police "discover" 1700 untested rape kits and a 20% clearance rate

The only thing MPD is good at is murdering black men.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/politics/trump-race-nationwide-speech/index.html

Honestly I’ll bet Trump’s advisors are thinking what would probably be best would be for Trump to shut up and hope this cools down a bit before he starts running his mouth about race and policing, but that doesn’t seem to be an option at this point.

Maybe that would have been true two years ago. Think about the kind of advisors he has left today. Stephen Miller is probably trying to figure out how to work Fourteen Words into the speech.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Less than 2% of the force. NYPD is a bigger army than entire countries like Kenya or Nicaragua have.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wasabi the J posted:

People don't hold candlelight vigils for security guards.

People don't hold enough candlelight vigils for cops.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PookBear posted:

literally gate guards that deploy to guard gates overseas

Sounds like the Navy's Maritime Expeditionary Security Force which lol are not anything remotely elite.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

The Seattle police are outside that precinct with mobile shredding trucks and they're dumping in garbage bags worth of... Who knows what. Panic shreds make sense for an imperial outpost when restless natives are at the gate, which is how they see the situation. It's a pretty weird thing for public servants in their own town to do though.

Based on their history, probably untested rape kits.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1270333484528214018

In this tweet, the President of the United States alleges that a 75 year old man who sustained a severe head injury at the hands of the Buffalo Brownshirts was actually an Antifa agitator attempting to “black out” police comms by marching to the front of the line and “scanning” them.

The brain worms are FEASTING today, much to the detriment of everyone else.

Edit: can the President be sued for slander?

No. Since these are official statements by the President of the United States and not personal communications, they are protected by sovereign immunity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I don't want to believe in actual crisis actors but...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/obscuree_/status/1270395482762690562?s=20

I assume those guys are from Pennsylvania from the patch

People complain about the militarization of police. I think we need a bit more militarization of the police. Like the parts about ROE and continuum of force and subordination to civil authority.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe that would have been true two years ago. Think about the kind of advisors he has left today. Stephen Miller is probably trying to figure out how to work Fourteen Words into the speech.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I don't know who that is.

Legit schizo artist. Went from illustrating for Sesame Street to illustrating how the Jews, New World Order, Big Pharma, Illuminati, and Lizard Men are conspiring to sap and impurify his precious bodily fluids with chemtrails and cell towers. Thinks Mossad snuck in at night to move his shoes in a threatening manner. The fact that his antisemitism and antivaxxer views came from actual mental illness and not hate allows you to look at his art more charitably and enjoy the crazy somewhat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's like the cops across the country were playing a game to see just what they could do to black men without white moderates caring or making excuses. Shooting a man for legally carrying a gun? Nope. Shooting a man for holding a toy gun in the toy gun aisle of a store in a state that allows open carry? Nope. Shooting a child for holding a toy gun? Nope.
Turns out the line was "slowly, casually choking the life out of a man in full view of cameras and the public while he begs for mercy."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The first time wasn't slow or casual enough for white suburbanites.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Also: We were chosen. The rest of you weren’t. =P

Given your history, I'm pretty fine with not being chosen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

It's amazing to me that poo poo is taking place in Washington to me. Not because, it's a blue state so it's a magical paradise, but more of, it's a blue state why the gently caress aren't people rising up in red states that are predominately black, like Mississippi or Louisiana where poo poo like police accountability or "social services" aren't really a thing. My brother had a psychotic break in Washington and he violently resisted the police who where trying to get him to calm down and get him into a lockup.

The police didn't resist from putting the boots into him after he was restrained, enough so that when the police tried to hit him with "assaulting an officer" or what ever for decking the crap out of one of them his lawyer got them to call it even by countering with un-necessary police brutality, but I have no doubt if he did that here in Georgia he'd have end up shot for his troubles instead of a broken jaw and bruising.

Just guessing here but blue states tend to be blue because of huge diverse urban centers. And huge diverse urban centers tend to be highly segregated with a heavily armed police force to enforce the segregation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Woooooooof.

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1270818576849567745

The timing alone is bad (Juneteenth), but holy gently caress that place is going to explode in COVID cases.

Inshallah.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

avoteforbartisavoteforanarchy.jpg

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

They accurately identify the problem and really, REALLY miss on the solution.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

File this under "things I learned at the Occupy sites." Occupy Wall Street was the first time I had a real idea of what anarchism as a political idea was and it also made me more firmly against anarchism than ever before in my life.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

There is no endgame. The Fox News / Entertainment Right goal is to keep as many eyeballs on screens as possible. They don't particularly care about keeping those eyeballs attached to live humans for the future, because the eyeballs now are currently fueling the money and power printers. It's a ratings chase. They don't give a gently caress otherwise.

Pretty sure power and influence is a major part.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Steven Greenhouse (@greenhousenyt) Tweeted:
Meatpacking companies said their plants needed to stay open, warning that the U.S. faced a severe meat shortage. At least 89 meatpacking workers died

It was a fake meat shortage. Turns out American meatpackers shipped a record amount of pork to China. https://t.co/E0Gc23zj4D https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1272958447986839554?s=20

something something sell them the rope

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

We were probably stuck with Ben Sasse as Nebraska's (very concerned) Senator.

Now we definitely are.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1272983395178610688

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1272981069436878848

Previously, Nebraska Democrats were just guaranteed a loss. Now they get a loss and a black eye! :thumbsup:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Defenestrategy posted:

Question for those of you who ended up in Afghanistan/Iraq.

If you're so worried about the general populace that you built what appears to be a six foot wall with razor wire on the top, shouldn't you be more worried about people hucking improvised explosives/incindiaries inside through those windows and I dunno, maybe put boards over them?

Ever notice how cops shoot black guys with cell phones or wallets because it might be a gun, but when there is a confirmed weapon they form a perimeter and wait for the tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lol, dude doesn't even have kids.