Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2018, refer to archives]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West

Current: The African Queen by C. S. Forester

The book is freely available in the following location:

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20180238

About the book

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/african-queen-c-s-forester/1100996303 posted:

First published in 1935, C.S. Forester's classic romantic adventure is a tale of opposites attracted. Allnut and Rose, a disreputable Cockney and an English spinster missionary, wend their way down a river in Central Africa in a rickety, asthmatic steam launch, and are gradually joined together in a mission of retaliation against the Germans. Fighting time, heat, malaria and bullets, the two have a dramatic rapprochement before the explosive ending of the book. This tale of unlikely love is thrilling and funny and ultimately satisfying.

About the Author

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Forester posted:

Cecil Louis Troughton Smith (27 August 1899 – 2 April 1966), known by his pen name Cecil Scott "C. S." Forester, was an English novelist known for writing tales of naval warfare, such as the 12-book Horatio Hornblower series depicting a Royal Navy officer during the Napoleonic wars. The Hornblower novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction in 1938.

http://authorscalendar.info/forester.htm posted:

British historical novelist, biographer, and journalist, best-known as the creator of Horatio Hornblower, a swashbuckling hero and naval officer in Nelson's time, whose career is told in a series of a dozen books. Hornblower is one of the great mariner characters in literature along with Ulysses, Sinbad, Captain Ahab, and Lord Jim.

Endorsements:

https://csforester.wordpress.com/ posted:

Kingsley Amis : Fiction like (this) is bound to deliver, so why waste time on new stuff?

Raymond Chandler : Quite fascinating and wonderfully exact.

Winston Churchill : I find Hornblower admirable – vastly entertaining.

Ernest Hemingway : I recommend Hornblower to everyone literate I know.

C Day Lewis : So actual and breathlessly exciting that the reader will be feeling himself gingerly all over.

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

There’s a rather famous film of the book from 1951, directed by John Huston and starring Katharine Hepburn (:love:) and Humphrey Bogart (winning his only Oscar). It’s worth a watch.

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Allnut lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I shoulda rated this higher on horniness. Second paragraph and we're in going commando territory.

edit: I ah may have forgotten the almost immediate use of the n word in this book. :whitewater:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 3, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: I ah may have forgotten the almost immediate use of the n word in this book. :whitewater:

oh no DV what have you done

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, I got this from the library. I guess I'm in for the month!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And I'm about a hundred pages in. This is a pretty exciting book, once it gets going. And I've learned rapids cure saggy bosoms.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
horniness clearly needs to be a calibrated factor for future selections.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

horniness clearly needs to be a calibrated factor for future selections.

Yup. Definitely some horny here.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Can someone provide a cockney to American translation for "coo" because I get most of what Allnut is saying but this is really driving me up a wall.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

nut posted:

Allnut lol

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Humerus posted:

Can someone provide a cockney to American translation for "coo" because I get most of what Allnut is saying but this is really driving me up a wall.

The dictionary says, "used to express surprise." I think most can be easily replaced by something like "Whoa" or "Would you look at that?" or "wow" or whatever you prefer.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ben Nevis posted:

The dictionary says, "used to express surprise." I think most can be easily replaced by something like "Whoa" or "Would you look at that?" or "wow" or whatever you prefer.

Yes, it's this. It's a rather pre-Great War thing to say, I think I've only seen in it Edith Nesbit before.

E:

Ben Nevis posted:

Yup. Definitely some horny here.

Why do you think he's called Allnut?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

And I'm about a hundred pages in. This is a pretty exciting book, once it gets going. And I've learned rapids cure saggy bosoms.

Yeah, I'm like . . 7 percent into this thing. Observations so far:

1) When you're English, other countries' colonialism is Not Great, and

2) At first I thought this was a WW2 book (maybe due to the movie?), but it's written 1935, set 1914.

3) I really like how Forester is not skimping on the nautical detail, like having to anchor the bow of the boat upstream, etc. Of course you'd expect that from the author of Hornblower but it's that kind of granular detail that makes a book feel real and come alive, and there's an art to weaving it into the narrative so that you aren't just reading a technical manual.

4) Rose is literally getting younger as the book progresses. She starts the book "approaching middle age," then Allnut shows up and suddenly she's thirty.

At some point this month I'll watch the movie too. Here's Ebert talking about it:

quote:

Holding forth about actors a few years ago, John Huston allowed as how there were good ones and bad ones, and then there were a few like splendid thoroughbreds: All you had to do was judge their gait and you could see they had class.

In this category, he placed Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. He didn't mention any movies, but he must have been thinking about their performances in his own justly celebrated classic, "The African Queen" (1951).

Huston went on location in the Congo to make the movie, which won Bogie his only Oscar and inspired a spate of parodies (remember Sid Caesar, Alfred E. Newman and practically everyone else dragging that boat down the river?). It was the worst popular film of 1951, and that rather surprised everybody since Bogart and Hepburn were supposedly past their prime at the box office and the plot didn't sound so hot when you described it.

. . . .

This was a movie that respected its audience and respected its genuine desire to be well and intelligently entertained. By contrast, "The Ambushers" and other mass-produced "entertainments" are obviously made by people with little imagination and no real passion for craftsmanship. Much of "The African Queen's" success probably can lie credited to those thoroughbreds, Bogart and Miss Hepburn. They took what was probably intended to be a adventure film and turned it into a comedy (and even a statement on human life) by bringing their own personalities into play.

As it now stands, the movie bears little relationship to the C. S. Forster novel that inspired it. Nor did the script (mostly by James Agee, with help from John Collier and Huston) have much humor in it. Pauline Kael reports that Huston gave credit to Bogie and Kate: "They were just naturally funny when they worked together." Miss Hepburn, on the other hand, gives the credit to Huston. "The humor didn't just grow, it was planted. The picture wasn't going well until Huston come up with the inspiration that Rosie, my role, should be played as Eleanor Roosevelt."

(spoilers in link):
https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/african-queen-still-reigns

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 12, 2020

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

4) Rose is literally getting younger as the book progresses. She starts the book "approaching middle age," then Allnut shows up and suddenly she's thirty.
Those are the same thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Those are the same thing.

Mathematically sure but rhetorically the first makes you think she's past menopause.

I mean, technically, a five year old is approaching middle age, but if you hear someone described that way you think they're in their forties, or at least I do.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If you're in your forties, you're already there (certainly if you're "past menopause"). If you're out of your twenties, you're getting there soon. This is really dumb.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’m a chapter ahead of you and rose is a zygote

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Unbirthing was certainly an unconventional choice for an ending, especially for the time period.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I think we just figured out that HA is a :corsair:

2) At first I thought this was a WW2 book (maybe due to the movie?), but it's written 1935, set 1914.

The Germans are presumably the same people who'd go on to participate in the Herero genocide in the 20s, so they're hardly a million miles away.

Anyway, time for me to start this, too.

Edit: Now that I have started reading, it says on page two that she's 33, so she's got a rather big decision on her mind.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 14, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I wrapped this thing up tonight.

The ending was a little weird, in that they protagonists fail and the British Navy does everything and why were they even there? The movie handles the ending better in narrative terms. I was confused by this until I realized that Forester had been inspired by a real naval battle, as was the British public of the time, and the whole rest of this story was really just an excuse for writing that set-piece, not the other way around.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

I wrapped this thing up tonight.

The ending was a little weird, in that they protagonists fail and the British Navy does everything and why were they even there? The movie handles the ending better in narrative terms. I was confused by this until I realized that Forester had been inspired by a real naval battle, as was the British public of the time, and the whole rest of this story was really just an excuse for writing that set-piece, not the other way around.

Re the ending: I really wanted them to blow up Germans. I was disappointed when they didn't get to. It really felt anti-climactic to finally get past the germans, over the rapids, and through the fire swamp, to be quickly shuffled off with some minor British functionary because they were a bother. And then the British win, no thanks to our would-be heroes. The whole daring escapade doesn't even register. That's neat that the final battle was based on a real one.

Generally, I'd say I enjoyed it. It was fun and I'm kind of a sucker for adventure stories.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is there general interest in more of this historic sort of pulpy material?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there general interest in more of this historic sort of pulpy material?

I'm game. I know I've nominated Sabatini before. I'm almost always up for stuff like that.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ending chat:

I also felt it was a little anticlimactic. I was at least holding out hope that the explosives on the African Queen would come into play somehow, like the German ship would hit it and cause an explosion and the British would be somewhat impressed with the two main characters. Ultra gritty ending would have been said explosion taking out the Brits too but that seemed even less likely.
The biggest thing that bothered me was the instant they slept together Rose became a homemaker on their lovely boat and was dusting and everything. For it's time though it was probably better than most so that's... something I suppose.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

she was wearing no underclothes. Most of them had been consumed in the service of the boat—as hand shields when the propeller shaft was straightened and so on—and the rest was dedicated to Allnutt’s use. His own clothing had disintegrated, and now he moved chastely about the boat in Rose’s chemise and drawers

It's a shame this bit didn't make it into the film...

E: Just finished it. The ending was terrible and the film version was much better - in the film the African Queen sinks and then the Germans sail into her, setting off the explosives moments after Allnut and Rose persuade the captain to marry them. The Brits aren't involved at all.

There's a book and a Wikipedia page about the battle that inspired the book; fun fact, the ship the Königin Luise was probably based on was refloated and apparently still sailing around Lake Tanganyika.

It's not even a long or dramatic set-piece...

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 22, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm game. I know I've nominated Sabatini before. I'm almost always up for stuff like that.

Yeah, that's why I keep nominating The Curse of Capistrano, it's the single best example of that kind of thing. It never wins the voting though.

speaking of I need suggestions for next month. Right now I'm thinking maybe The End of Policing, maybe something along the lines of https://www.100thmonkeypress.com/biblio/acrowley/articles/1948_09_xx_partisan_review.pdf ,

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That's topical!

Last month's equal first places were The Club Dumas and The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, plus quantumfoam suggested A Prince of Swindlers:

quantumfoam posted:

Please add " by Guy Boothby" http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54771 as a voting option for the upcoming June 2020 Book of the Month Club.
A Prince of Swindlers is a bunch of short stories about a master thief scamming and robbing the upper social classes in 1890's London.

-it is copyright expired everywhere
-it is freely available online via project gutenberg or archive dot org
-there is a Sherlock Holmes analogy/parody character in it
-100% of the scams & schemes & robberies in it operate on completely different logic than what a modern crime-heist story or a crime-heist story published in the past 55 years would use

nut
Jul 30, 2019

whoah im gonna pick this up regardless but will wait if it wins to start it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The poll for next month's BOTM ended up going up on Discord instead :

https://discordapp.com/channels/563390516360773632/563392762183942166/725670461161078855

if you need a discord invite, https://discord.gg/cMHkCf

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
End of Policing won. I'll get a thread up soonish.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hornblower blows, is this in the same style?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

hornblower blows, is this in the same style?

~ish. More modern.

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1279120868745019392?s=20

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pity

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

main difference is that the characters in this book are much more sympathetic than Hornblower ever really manages to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

main difference is that the characters in this book are much more sympathetic than Hornblower ever really manages to be

oh, that sounds better