Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Louisgod posted:

it's pretty funny your response to a chart clearly noting that vaccine hesitancy was consistent before the J&J pause is to regale people with some idiotic anecdote as if that somehow trumps the fact there's a built in ceiling of our population that will never get a vaccine under their own volition

There are people who I can't convince regardless of how much time I spend making the argument to get vaccinated, and there are people who first say they're against getting the vaccine but who change their minds rapidly after I address their concerns and package the whole thing as fear of missing out.

You know how polls can sometimes be a little (ha) off, or not reveal the whole truth of shifting public opinion? That's what I'm posting about.

People's beliefs change, especially as they see how other people are faring post-vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MadJackal posted:

There are people who I can't convince regardless of how much time I spend making the argument to get vaccinated

10 minutes of talking to you will never match up to hours of media coverage/back and forth between peers, etc. its MATH

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Flatten the curve indeed

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

top reply on the news story about WA pausing phase changes to protect king county from reality:

dipshits on reddit have decided that the 2 week pause for king county is enough time for us to convince the rural regions of the state to get their vaccination rates up, as if vaccination rates in rural areas will reduce the king county case counts :psyduck: everyone is dumb, i can't wait for us to be sprung free from this communal mortal coil

Seattleites think Enumclaw is rural.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MadJackal posted:

I am flat out telling you that I've had to give up on trying to convince people to consider getting the J&J vaccine because of the concern about clots. It's radioactive to some people even after going over the 1 : 7.2 million fatality rate.

I'm basically relegated to discussing J&J as leverage to get people to get either Pfizer or Moderna instead because those don't have the any bad association other than vague "side effects."

Do you think those same people would be lining up to get the J&J shot had there not been a pause?

If there are enough mRNA doses to go around then who gives a poo poo? That has been the core logic of the pause since the beginning and I'm sorry to say they were probably right. The people who are absolute "no's" on the vaccine aren't getting one either way, and the people on the fence are far more likely to sign up for mRNA shots than J&J even if it is almost 100% a branding and psychology thing and not some objective beep boop risk benefit/assessment. Pausing J&J may have even increased people's willingness and/or urgency to get in on pfizer/moderna, as stupid as that sounds.

Since the vaccination rollout in the US is gated by hesitancy more than supply, what's the point of giving out the off-brand vaccine when you already have more doses than you can give away without it? The fact that J&J production was an absolute gongshow just sealed it's fate.

Edit: and if vaccine manufacturers are saying it's even odds or better that people need subsequent boosters anyway, not having to deal with a vector based prime shot arguably simplifies things, too

Morbus has issued a correction as of 23:04 on May 4, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MadJackal posted:

I am flat out telling you that I've had to give up on trying to convince people to consider getting the J&J vaccine because of the concern about clots. It's radioactive to some people even after going over the 1 : 7.2 million fatality rate.

I'm basically relegated to discussing J&J as leverage to get people to get either Pfizer or Moderna instead because those don't have the any bad association other than vague "side effects."

That might very well be in your case (which is going to have some sampling bias due to your location/patient pool), but it isn't borne out in the larger numbers. The number of people truly opposed to being vaccinated has held steady at around 25%, while the number of people who are hesitant has been steadily dropping, at a rate which the J&J pause did not impact. Since those people aren't ending up in the "no" camp, that means they're either wanting to get vaccinated now, or they already have been.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
just get J&J every month. nobody wants it? i'll take it all

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
I got my 2nd Pfizer shot around 11am this morning, when do I start feelin' the effects cuz so far I've been navigating things fairly fine.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

i dunno if there was even a winning move to keep everything on track once we discovered the blood clot complications. refusing to pause the vaccine rollout wouldn't have gotten rid of all the bloot clot news stories

No, they really obviously made the wrong move and it's not even close, particularly given the extreme rarity of the side effects. COVID itself is something like 10x-50x more likely to trigger those clot issues. Millions less people in total will be vaccinated now, and tens of thousands more will die. J&J was the best (only, really) option for vulnerable populations in the US since it's already hard to get vulnerable people out for even a single shot, much less two times shots. Now opinion has turned against it after the combined media + social media fear machine took off. The government is too cheap to pay people to vaccinate and most people are badly spooked by exploding brain syndrome vs. "it's just the flu."

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 23:08 on May 4, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I would like this office, please.

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1389585294182260742?s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
There's enough pfizer that everyone should get it. It is the cadillac of vaccines.

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

Beached Whale posted:

I got my 2nd Pfizer shot around 11am this morning, when do I start feelin' the effects cuz so far I've been navigating things fairly fine.

I started feeling fever and chills 10 hours in. Most people I've seen have said 12-14 hours though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

This whole "controversy" over the J&J pause is just putting the cart before the horse. People see that the vaccination rate in the US is stalling out due to hesitancy, and are blaming it on the J&J pause. In reality, vaccine hesitancy has been dropping steadily but has nonetheless always been high enough that by the time J&J got it's poo poo together, there was inevitably an overabundance of mRNA vaccines. At that point it doesn't matter if the risk is 1:100,000,000, you've got a branding issue and nobody is going to want that poo poo if the shelves are full of pfizer/moderna and it's all free.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

What we should've done is disband the FDA and jail any journalists reporting on vaccines.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

No, they obviously made the wrong move and it's not even close. Millions less people in total will be vaccinated now, and tens of thousands more will die. J&J was the best (only, really) option for vulnerable populations in the US. Now opinion has turned against it after the combined media + social media fear machine took off. The government is too cheap to pay people to vaccinate and most people are badly spooked by exploding brain syndrome vs. "it's just the flu."

The argument is people would have abandoned JJ no matter what the govt did aside from completely suppressing all reports of the clotting issue. TBH people can just rewrite history however they like wrt what the optimal response was, cat's out of the bag now. Overall it underlines how stupid a vaccine based elimination strategy always was, and the people angriest about the pause tend to be those that supported this dumb strategy the most.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

the entire pandemic as well as this thread has always had big DF vibes

When possible, he prefers to consume BEANS

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/josh_wingrove/status/1389704894525943812?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Businesses will continue to do as they like in Florida. Business is law.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

cyberpunk future is here for real lmao at how lowkey dystopia vibes this is

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
that 2-11 shot time really loving needed to be July, I’ll seriously lie about my son moving to VA with my wife’s family and hold him out of school until 2 weeks after his second shot if I have to, not gonna fumble at the 1 here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Indian variants will make pretty quick work of the non-vaccinated. Look out Lebron it's comin'

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lacrosse posted:

I suppose that sounds reasonable. I just checked the daily stats thread on r/coronavirusWA and it looks like King County is at 15.8/100,000. For my area it's 18.5 at the city level.

The original "10 per 100k" rate figure was from Fauci himself, in one of his innumerable press appearances, but

the rate was 10 per 100k IN A WEEK, not in a day

lolllll

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/bydavidcrow/status/1389564297727074309

death to america

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A reminder that if you get on an airplane currently your risk assessment needs it include consideration that you are getting on an airplane with the kind of person who thinks it's a good idea to fly for vacation right now.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1389531505643466755?s=19

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Koirhor posted:

that 2-11 shot time really loving needed to be July, I’ll seriously lie about my son moving to VA with my wife’s family and hold him out of school until 2 weeks after his second shot if I have to, not gonna fumble at the 1 here.

Seriously, if the shot is available in Sept can see a lot of parents sticking to remote who would otherwise have sent the kids back to in-person school if nothing was coming until 2022. Why risk infection literally a couple of weeks before vaccination. Of course only talking about the subset of parents who didn't send their kids back months ago.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Shifty Pony posted:

huh, my city is at 7.1/100k and testing rates haven't dropped precipitously.

quoting you too

on average this would still be 4x higher than the fauci threshold. the feshold

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Can't outcompete our GDP if we choose to let half yr labor force die of preventable illness:twisted:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Yea I am starting to believe the Malthusian intentions of the western world.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Biden saying they still expect to get 70% vaccinated. Woof. We'll be lucky to make 55% now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Morbus posted:

This whole "controversy" over the J&J pause is just putting the cart before the horse. People see that the vaccination rate in the US is stalling out due to hesitancy, and are blaming it on the J&J pause. In reality, vaccine hesitancy has been dropping steadily but has nonetheless always been high enough that by the time J&J got it's poo poo together, there was inevitably an overabundance of mRNA vaccines. At that point it doesn't matter if the risk is 1:100,000,000, you've got a branding issue and nobody is going to want that poo poo if the shelves are full of pfizer/moderna and it's all free.

Yeah, this. J&J was just too late to market.

Pausing it was 1,000% the right decision, too, for two reasons. First, we didn't know what was going on. If it was something that could be identified so that we could determine who was at risk before vaccinating them, then we would just have to add some additional guidance when J&J shots are given and, boom, problem solved. Also, given how little of a poo poo anybody gives about women's health (especially in clinical trials), the fact that it only showed up in women at first definitely was worrying.

Second, if they hadn't taken some time to track down what was going on, there was a very real risk of the antivaxxers convincing people that there was other poo poo wrong with the rest of the vaccines, but the government was covering it up.

There are a lot of ways the government has hosed up the pandemic response, but pausing J&J was not one of them.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Erik Baker posted:

A survey of the data from nine of the most populous counties in the U.S. revealed that the suicide rate in these places increased in 2020 by 17 percent among Black people, 14 percent among Latinos, and 9 percent among Asians, while it fell for white people by 15 percent. Contrary to the predictions of anti-lockdown activists, the suicide surge was concentrated in communities where people were disproportionately likely to have no choice but to continue working in person.

https://www.thedriftmag.com/other-peoples-despair/

what if misery because of your status as an essential worker is more likely to cause suicide than being forced to binge netflix and get groceries delivered

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

A reminder that if you get on an airplane currently your risk assessment needs it include consideration that you are getting on an airplane with the kind of person who thinks it's a good idea to fly for vacation right now.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1389531505643466755?s=19

normal country

quote:

In a typical year, the transportation agency sees 100 to 150 formal cases of bad passenger behavior. But since the start of this year, the agency said, the number of reported cases has jumped to 1,300, an even more remarkable number since the number of passengers remains below pre-pandemic levels.

quote:

“What we have seen on our planes is flight attendants being physically assaulted, pushed, choked,” Nelson said. “We have a passenger urinate. We had a passenger spit into the mouth of a child on board.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

The original "10 per 100k" rate figure was from Fauci himself, in one of his innumerable press appearances, but

the rate was 10 per 100k IN A WEEK, not in a day

lolllll

To clarify the 15.8/100,000 figure is the 7 day average for King County. I just meant that the person making these threads makes an update every day.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusWA/comments/n4b5et/washington_state_1069_average_new_cases_on_51_and

Edit: whoops I hosed up and read the wrong line. There's 110 positive cases per 100,000 in King County, OP was right 15.8 is the daily average

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 23:33 on May 4, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lacrosse posted:

To clarify the 15.8/100,000 figure is the 7 day average for King County. I just meant that the person making these threads makes an update every day.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/CoronavirusWA/comments/n4b5et/washington_state_1069_average_new_cases_on_51_and

That link says the seven day average is 110/100k and 15.8/199k is the daily average over the last seven days

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lacrosse posted:

What we should've done is disband the FDA and jail any journalists reporting on vaccines.

Sounds like Christmas 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Thoguh posted:

That link says the seven day average is 110/100k and 15.8/199k is the daily average over the last seven days

Yeah I hosed up and read the wrong line. I'm fully justified in continuing to hermit

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Biden saying they still expect to get 70% vaccinated. Woof. We'll be lucky to make 55% now.

Step 1: vaccines compulsory for military service

Step 2: draft everybody

bing bong so simple

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah in context, iirc, the Liar Fauci was referring to a sum total of weekly positives as a rate per 100k people.

it’s unsurprising that that’s his threshold to not worry because I can’t possibly see how the virus even sustains itself there, because that’s less than 2 cases per 100k people per day, implying a very very low R value. Even in the densest area of the country, say 20,000 people per square mile, it’d be really difficult for the infection to not just sputter out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Lolling though that my county is down to about that amount and our governor has totally removed all restrictions and would rather never acknowledge that COVID exists ever again and the only thing going for us is mask compliance at stores that require it is still pretty good for now but in a moderately.functional state you guys at least had guidelines to ignore.