Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Goobish posted:

So my girlfriend has been sick for days. A test she took last week popped negative. She went to get a rapid test today, and they told her she doesn't qualify for a rapid test because she's had symptoms for so long? What the heck? She can just go somewhere else tomorrow but is that really a thing? I'm in bumfuck Michigan where I had to describe to my boss what a test is and why it's useful.

Months back the CDC changed the positive criteria make it so whatever needed to be detected to determine if you had covid had to be at higher levels. Since then the number of covid positives has gone down.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

huh, my city is at 7.1/100k and testing rates haven't dropped precipitously.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I've been at two restaurants since March of last year, both times we never even set foot in the building and were sitting outside upwind of the nearest table by like 20 feet

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr Hootington posted:

Months back the CDC changed the positive criteria make it so whatever needed to be detected to determine if you had covid had to be at higher levels. Since then the number of covid positives has gone down.

Oh yeah that's right lmfao whatever happened with that? Probably fine.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MadJackal posted:

Also keep in mind some vaccine-neutral people before the pause were choosing J&J over Moderna and Pfizer because they didn’t want the “side effects” of the second shot. Now they’d rather just wait for everyone else to get a vaccine because “they’ve made it this long without getting sick.”

The J&J pause was the worst thing to happen to the vaccine rollout since it began. Way worse than millions of spoiled batches.

Nope. Try again.

shackleford posted:

the truly hesitant have steadily declined since the pfizer results were announced in november

the absolutely never gently caress that etc. have been a steady, solid ~1/4 for at least six months

https://civiqs.com/results/coronavirus_vaccine?annotations=true&uncertainty=true&zoomIn=true

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bulgakov posted:

if i eventually eat in a place - the first time since the start of this garbage - im gonna be getting pho

I bought ramen bowls and chopsticks and have had ramen takeout. They separate the broth, meat, noddles, etc into separate containers and then I just reheat the broth and dump the ingredients in. It’s as good as indoor dining without the covid.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Zil posted:

I assume the small camera makes it seem bigger?

It does. :smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol at the thread title change

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

shame it isn't flintstones themed

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Nope. Try again.

He's right lol

Lmao

They really hosed up the vaccine rollout almost as badly as possible

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

ram dass in hell posted:

Oh yeah that's right lmfao whatever happened with that? Probably fine.

Open biden

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

etalian posted:

how wet do those walls get?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

He's right lol

Lmao

LMAO

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Frances Nurples posted:

how wet do those walls get?

your mom lol

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Better open 'er up now right as we're getting close to when the line begins to go from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr Hootington posted:

i think that was WHO

in any case, yeah, i think about that anytime there's a graph posted

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

my idiot state is drat near under the 10 per 100k case mark. Just over 3% today and Tuesday's always the highest of the week. I feel like things are gonna be more or less 'normal' here until the fall and then knows what will happen

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Better open 'er up now right as we're getting close to when the line begins to go from mostly vertical to mostly horizontal.

lmao 62% is around what we are seeing with some of the newer strains like the South African one...

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I
My county is at 3.6 cases per 100k and I still don't feel like going out, must be cave syndrome.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Thoguh posted:

Lol all of our analyses of natural SARS-CoV-2 R0 with no interventions is from the OG wild type before it even picked up D614G. The numbers were still in the range of 3-5. lmao.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I went and hung out with some of the other vaxxed nerds I know that haven't left their house much and it was great.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

floffytoffy posted:

My county is at 3.6 cases per 100k and I still don't feel like going out, must be cave syndrome.

Is it Covid or the fact that a lot of people out and about right now are unnecessarily aggressive?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

etalian posted:

Is that the Bin Laden lair from the article in the 2000s?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Lol all of our analyses of natural SARS-CoV-2 R0 with no interventions is from the OG wild type before it even picked up D614G. The numbers were still in the range of 3-5. lmao.

It's happening already, higher transmission rate, more lethality and more effective at evading previous antibody response.

It's like watching Plague Inc late game play out in real life.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Nope. Try again.

I am flat out telling you that I've had to give up on trying to convince people to consider getting the J&J vaccine because of the concern about clots. It's radioactive to some people even after going over the 1 : 7.2 million fatality rate.

I'm basically relegated to discussing J&J as leverage to get people to get either Pfizer or Moderna instead because those don't have the any bad association other than vague "side effects."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1389636089770565634?s=21

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I went and ran at the local track since I was a week out from dose 2 of an mRNA vaccine. It was really nice. Can't wait to reserve a block at the apartment gym and do some deadlifts once I'm fully vaccinated. I may invite a fellow cave dweller over to play some super smash bros next week as well. It is nice to get back to normal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

corvid police, arrest this man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

etalian posted:

would

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

He's right lol

Lmao

i dunno if there was even a winning move to keep everything on track once we discovered the blood clot complications. refusing to pause the vaccine rollout wouldn't have gotten rid of all the bloot clot news stories

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

MadJackal posted:

I am flat out telling you that I've had to give up on trying to convince people to consider getting the J&J vaccine because of the concern about clots. It's radioactive to some people even after going over the 1 : 7.2 million fatality rate.

I'm basically relegated to discussing J&J as leverage to get people to get either Pfizer or Moderna instead because those don't have the any bad association other than vague "side effects."

The triple burger exists to move the double by making it seem more palatable - if it works it works.

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

Lacrosse posted:

Is it Covid or the fact that a lot of people out and about right now are unnecessarily aggressive?

I'm in a major tourist/college town. A lot of outbreaks in the past year have been spread by students from all over the country deciding to come live in the city in spite of virtual classes being available. Not gonna feel safe until the university starts requiring vaxx for the students in the fall (there's talk that they will but who knows right now).

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Suggesting vaccine hesitancy isn't real is misandry

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

etalian posted:

It's happening already, higher transmission rate, more lethality and more effective at evading previous antibody response.

It's like watching Plague Inc late game play out in real life.

I'm sure by keeping schools open with children mixing households, we def won't inadvertently select for a variant that is super effective in these situations :v:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I went and ran at the local track since I was a week out from dose 2 of an mRNA vaccine. It was really nice. Can't wait to reserve a block at the apartment gym and do some deadlifts once I'm fully vaccinated. I may invite a fellow cave dweller over to play some super smash bros next week as well. It is nice to get back to normal.

Yeah unironically I'll keep doing a lot of the cautious stuff wrt going to the store and poo poo but given that I know the other neurotic nerds in my social circle have been even crazier than I am when it comes to self-isolating I'm fine hanging out with them.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1389638406448295940

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I propose that vaccine hesitancy is real but diminishing and if they wanted to make further inroads right now it would be by going after people who are fine getting vaccinated but either are lazy or have barriers to being able to make an appointment. Get out there and offer jabs at work and at home, promise to come back every day for multiple weeks to make sure people know it'll be just as easy to get the second jab.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Flunky posted:

i thought the thread title was a reference to dwarf fortress and was very confused for a sec when i saw it mentioned in the news

the entire pandemic as well as this thread has always had big DF vibes

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

my 2nd pfizer shot is in 2 hours and i have vaccine impatiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

VectorSigma posted: