Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

brugroffil posted:

:toot:

What's the latest on outdoor recreational spread like trail walking? Zero percent mask usage at a popular forest preserve this morning. Not too crowded when we got there, but it was starting to get packed by the time we got back to our car

Based on what we know there's negligible risk outside walking on a trail unless somebody coughs in your face or something. I wouldn't expect anyone to be wearing masks except maybe at the trailhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In hindsight , the nba testing probably hosed this country. If you accept that the usa was incapable of anything but a half assed lockdown where it was entirely voluntary, the only way to isolate people would be through fear since they knew people who got it

So we probably did need march madness to be super spreader events all around the country, every city getting hit as hard as new york (i.e. like 5% of people getting it and eveyrone going oh gently caress) and then people maybe , MAYBE would have hid til memorial day
Probably not

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

My back finally stopped hurting and my husband and I got into an argument so I drove to the only place close that wouldn't have people, or so I thought. There was a funeral at the graveyard that I avoided and looked like 25 or so people milling about some kissing and hugging. I hung a left and a good bit down the lane were some random open graves. I'd not seen them leave any open before unattended so of course I took a picture

It was pleasantly warm with a cool breeze and birds were singing

hang in ther-

hmm

keep ur chin up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

Since I'm in spiraling mode, how the hell do people keep any sort of motivation while living alone? I don't cook, I don't clean, I don't wash my clothes, I don't exercise, I can hardly work. I am spending tons on take out and am getting fatter every day and there's no one to stop me! I moved in recently and still have boxes everywhere, a floor that's broken that I can't find anyone to fix, my curtains are boxes and now I finally got a drill and am making holes in a wall for the first time in 32 years of life and I already screwed this up due to a stepladder being too short and alignment being out of wack. Does everyone go through this sort of thing? How do you learn this sort of thing other than youtube tutorials? Do people magically remember all those times their dads made them watch do boring DIY work?

buy animal crossing and you'll get so sick of fake work you'll eventually do your own

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

AceOfFlames posted:

Since I'm in spiraling mode, how the hell do people keep any sort of motivation while living alone? I don't cook, I don't clean, I don't wash my clothes, I don't exercise, I can hardly work. I am spending tons on take out and am getting fatter every day and there's no one to stop me! I moved in recently and still have boxes everywhere, a floor that's broken that I can't find anyone to fix, my curtains are boxes and now I finally got a drill and am making holes in a wall for the first time in 32 years of life and I already screwed this up due to a stepladder being too short and alignment being out of wack. Does everyone go through this sort of thing? How do you learn this sort of thing other than youtube tutorials? Do people magically remember all those times their dads made them watch do boring DIY work?

drill more holes in things and fill the bad holes with putty/wood glue/toothpaste. you can also eat some of the previous things thus covering your need for sustenance

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
just experienced some xtreme supersoldier energy from a young woman yelling down the block at a couple weekenders who didn't have masks on cruising the closed stores in our tiny hamlet asking proprietors face to face if they were open. "Put your loving masks on, not having a mask on says out loud that you are coming here to kill us"

I'm gonna start staking this position out from now on

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i love the phrasing of 'controlled disease growth'

like, do they understand the consequences of continued growth?

whats the problem with a virus that kills 10% of infected continuing to grow?

... oh.... OH gently caress !

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Based on what we know there's negligible risk outside walking on a trail unless somebody coughs in your face or something. I wouldn't expect anyone to be wearing masks except maybe at the trailhead.

also everyone needs to revert to thinking about the transmission dynamic rather than the setting

it's the same mechanism, it is just happening in a different set of conditions.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
We're never going to close again lmao

Open the bloodgates

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

just experienced some xtreme supersoldier energy from a young woman yelling down the block at a couple weekenders who didn't have masks on cruising the closed stores in our tiny hamlet asking proprietors face to face if they were open. "Put your loving masks on, not having a mask on says out loud that you are coming here to kill us"

I'm gonna start staking this position out from now on

:hmmyes:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Mr. Pizza posted:

It's saturday and it's time to party.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-suspends-truck-driving-limits-to-speed-coronavirus-shipments-11584200091

From March lmao

quote:

U.S. highway-safety regulators are suspending rules that limit daily driving hours for truck drivers moving emergency supplies such as medical equipment, hand sanitizer and food in response to the nationwide coronavirus outbreak.

Truckers have been driving on more meth and less sleep

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don’t have the time or ability to crunch this but I think we should really take North Carolina numbers and project them on the rest of the south east and Texas.

NC did the best out of all of them at locking down (as bad as that is) and there haven’t been any glaring statistic manipulation. I havent heard any stories of that from docs in Asheville or Charlotte.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

In hindsight , the nba testing probably hosed this country. If you accept that the usa was incapable of anything but a half assed lockdown where it was entirely voluntary, the only way to isolate people would be through fear since they knew people who got it

So we probably did need march madness to be super spreader events all around the country, every city getting hit as hard as new york (i.e. like 5% of people getting it and eveyrone going oh gently caress) and then people maybe , MAYBE would have hid til memorial day
Probably not

Had a very hearty lol at remembering that the prime mover event that led to the entire country "shutting down" was a NBA player licking microphones and daring the virus to infect him

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Had a very hearty lol at remembering that the prime mover event that led to the entire country "shutting down" was a NBA player licking microphones and daring the virus to infect him

6 hours later...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

give him the DPOY award !

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I remember it being that as well as NY shutting schools, which was prompted by Westport (town next to mine in CT) shutting their schools because people got sick from a rich people international coronavirus super spreader party

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The NBA then the other sports shutting down was definitely the moment that it became "real" for most people.

And then like two weeks later we all forgot about it and it stopped mattering??

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

The NBA then the other sports shutting down was definitely the moment that it became "real" for most people.

If the NBA hadn't shut down Match Madness would have happened, or at least the first weekend or two of it. And schools would have gone back in session post spring break. Then poo poo really would have been wild.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Get yer SCDHEC graphs!

Down 2 from yesterday. Thank god its over.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
NC stories

my mother has lung cancer so they did everything right leading into the surgery and she managed to not catch COVID in the hospital.

her husbands father died from COVID in a nursing home but he thinks it’s all a hoax

my wife’s aunt is in the ICU in NC with what they’re calling gallstones but she also has a lot of COVID symptoms and they won’t test her. I’m pretty sure it’s because she’s poor

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
thosebussesracingbutAZ.gif

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The conservative faction on the local subreddit is all like "We just had over 10,000 people attend a protest, for the sake of bringing taxed tourist dollars into the local budget we can host a July 4 celebration." I don't think that a July 4 celebration can possibly bring in enough local revenue ($10 million per death caused) to be worth it, even before factoring in that only a sliver of that goes into the local government budget.

I can see how people might think that'd somehow work out who isn't thinking about it in comparison to the life-death decisions we've already made, such as highway speed limits, aside from people who don't consider human life to be worth anything at all

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

NC stories

my mother has lung cancer so they did everything right leading into the surgery and she managed to not catch COVID in the hospital.

her husbands father died from COVID in a nursing home but he thinks it’s all a hoax

my wife’s aunt is in the ICU in NC with what they’re calling gallstones but she also has a lot of COVID symptoms and they won’t test her. I’m pretty sure it’s because she’s poor

why doesn't she try to not be poor?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

thosebussesracingbutAZ.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLhQONUcvQ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Any kind of gallstone disorder can present with everything you’d get with covid, especially if it’s some kind of ascending cholangitis.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
On the bright side, this will all be over soon!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6-MDhygWc

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah that was the official "poo poo has hit the fan" moment for the whole country. Within a matter of 12-24 hours they cancelled an NBA game at halftime, then shortly afterward the whole NBA season, then the NCAA tournament and conference tournaments. There was no going back at that point.

And no, the general population didn't stop caring in two weeks, but the stock market lost about 30% of its value in that time frame and Lloyd Blankfein decided he'd seen enough, declared that "the cure can't be worse than the disease", and the conservatives had their marching orders to open 'er up at all costs.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ruggan posted:

homemade masks only

wonder if moisture effects it, so mask which have huge amount of breathing going through it persist longer than say fomites on your jeans

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think that that's surprising. Remember the study a few months ago that found that the virus persisted for a long time on smooth metal surfaces but died quickly on cardboard?

Rough surfaces expose it more to the air which dries it out, and I expect the absorption properties of cardboard/cotton also suck moisture from the shell and expose the virus

yeah this makes sense

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Jun 13, 2020

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1271895114021916672

awh that's the stuff

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

conference tournaments.

That was in my top 5 favorite moments of this whole stupid thing. Clemson and FSU were in the middle of a game at the beginning of the ACC Championship and they just quit and said "FSU is ACC champs, go home" and that was it lol.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

good time to have Lupus

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Any kind of gallstone disorder can present with everything you’d get with covid, especially if it’s some kind of ascending cholangitis.

gallstone stuff can gently caress you up hilariously much, like lying there coughing and hacking and puking up bright green bile and moaning like some drat zombie poo poo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Homeless Friend posted:

wonder if moisture effects it, so mask which have huge amount of breathing going through it persist longer than say fomites on your jeans

yeah this makes sense

So I guess the question is the reduced protection from a cotton mask due to filtration worth the trade-off in comparison to an n95? Or maybe a single layer cotton mask over an n95?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

just realized “I can’t breathe” works equally well for both big issues in 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Live Free posted:

I really wish we could just go back to lockdown I don't want to get covid.

smdh, Just goes to show you. Our grandfathers are charging into those bars & restaurants, with exquisitely cut hair, enjoying life. This cowardly millennial generation is weeping & moping about the flu!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao that last paragraph

capitalism has to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Google Butt posted:

So I guess the question is the reduced protection from a cotton mask due to filtration worth the trade-off in comparison to an n95? Or maybe a single layer cotton mask over an n95?

lol the cotton is just useful for fomites, having a respirator will always be better. Doesn't matter if its slathered in covid, just store it and sanitize your hands, bing bong. hand sanitizer ftw