Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vitor has been in quite a few too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Put me in the minority of people who think Conor can beat Khabib. It would look generally like Rousey-Holm if it ever happens, with Conor spending most of the fight circling out and using fast hands to score.

Essentially, when Khabib loses it's not going to be because someone wrestles better than him, it'll be because someone denies him the opportunity to use his strongest weapons effectively.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In conclusion cage fighting is a land of contrasts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Julio Cruz posted:

getting to feel like I say something like this every event but what in the gently caress were Spencer's corner thinking sending her back out for the 5th

They sent her out so that Amanda would have a chance to give me some goonweight points

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SA Forums Poster posted:

In case you haven't been following along:

There is a class action lawsuit against the UFC about fighter pay.

To defend itself, the UFC submitted paperwork that showed that they pay between 16-18% of their revenue each year to fighter pay. (This number was submitted by the UFC directly, it helps their case to show a higher %, it has stayed under 20% for the past 8 years.)
NFL is around 48% of revenue to players.
NBA has been between 57-49%
The year before Strikeforce was bought by the UFC, Strikeforce was paying out 75%, then 63% during the year it was acquired.

Jon Jones is a poo poo head, but ALL UFC fighters could have their pay doubled, and still be taking a lower percentage of revenue than all of the other popular sports.

e: I don't have time to add in boxing, but if you compare UFC's top draws vs boxings top draws, UFC pay gets even worse.

What percentage of most major league revenue goes to coaching staff?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SA Forums Poster posted:

I know football coaches get paid millions, but I have no idea. I don't think I've ever heard of coaches complaining about pay.

No, but think about this -

The percentage that keeps getting thrown around is ~50% for NFL revenue goes to the players. If 50% of UFC revenue went to the players, they'd still be making proportionally less because they have to pay their own coaching staff, unlike in every league we're comparing them to.

The percentage that goes to fighters should be that sum percentage of what the other leagues send to players + coaches.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Royalty isn't a thing that just magically happens, it requires an actual deal in place stating that you will get royalty payments.

Are the fighters saying they have such a deal in place but just aren't getting the checks?

I'm assuming what they're actually saying is "it would be nice if we had a royalty deal", in which case yes I agree, but it should probably actually be spoken about in those terms, rather than "Where's my royalty checks?".

I agree, but I don't how it actually would result in that, unless his tantrum suddenly converts in to supporting a union.

At the initial announcement the UFC and Reebok made buzz about fighters getting royalties. I can't remember if it was explicit in those words, but they certainly implied it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's possible for Jones to be a piece of poo poo and for him taking a stand over fighter pay to be good at the same time. Maybe good can come of it. Remember, we can take a big pile of horse poo poo and use it to grow pretty pretty flowers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheReverend posted:

Also no one got a royalty check cuz no one bought that trash.

Because they pulled the good ones from the store before anyone could buy them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

also who posted/where is the "what he means is fight island is actually a peninsula" simpsons edit?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

I will start dropping links to the new TKZ videos as the pop up on his channel because they are always pretty good

e: speaking of links, here's the UFC 250 Fight Motion video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBmnJBRwBNw

They don't show any of the actual cool finishes :wtc:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Landwehr won his fight and only got a 13k purse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Are you saying he didn't also get a 13k win bonus? Or...tbh I can't quite tell what you're saying.

I'm just reading what the sheet says. His total is 13000 + a 3500 Reebok Compliance bonus, but he won his fight, so he's making less than 10/10

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Oh I see what happened.

The printout is for January, he didn't win that fight:

ah

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Villante is going to be so fat.

Now speaking of fat, like every fighter for tomorrow's card has missed weight, and Jessica Eye did a Travis Lutter impression on the scale.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CocoaNuts posted:

Junior dos Santos vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik is reportedly in the works for UFC 252.

I like Rozenstruik in this one.

I think that Rozenstruik should have sat out longer after having his brain turned into kofta by Ngannou.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jojo replies with a carrot cake

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is a documentary about Poirier pre wec if you haven't seen it. Fighttown I think?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cool thanks. Yeah it's not a bad way to use 70 minutes of your time or whatever. It was on Netflix.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo if it was a UFC fighter we'll find out pretty soon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TKZ is protected by the spirit of goodness and purity. He's one of the few true faces that we have in this sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aye Doc posted:

i can't see the UFC being too excited at the idea of Nunes/Shevchenko part 3. have they ever given someone who was 0-2 a shot to get his revenge? I remember something about Joey Benavidez maybe getting a third shot to get owned by Mighty Mouse which thankfully never got to happen

Rampage vs Wanderlei

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rest his guts posted:

Sure, and Kattar is a brawler. Which is why I want to see him get more shots against top-5 opponents before he expires. And I’m a big fan of Ige, as well, it’s just that there’s a perceivable talent gap between them imo. At the very least this fight will be a violent one.

Brawler?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CocoaNuts posted:

Sure. enjoy a laugh at the expense of the new guy. For the record, I didn't know whether LobsterMobster was some sort of Tito fan and just as dense as his idol. Now I know I got played. Won't happen a second time. Game on.

:slick:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rest his guts posted:

For sure. But Ige is also pretty tough so I think it’ll go all 3.

Is brawler not a good adjective for Kattar? Last two were pretty violent

Maybe the brawler connotation negates his skill? I dunno

Brawler means someone who relies on power and chin, and whose tactics involve a willingness to eat a shot to give one. Brawlers can be technical, but they're not typically strong defensively.

Kattar is more of a technical outfighter: lots of straight shots and defensive movement to stay in the fight and set up his kill shots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know whenever we have a new person come in and get dunked on hard like this and we have a good time, I always hope that the new person will take it with good humour and just keep posting, but invariably that new person is like the eternal Aikido guy in the MA thread - they'll act like they're taking it in good humour and then have a meltdown and call us a bunch of fart-huffing goobers and disappear/get banned.

The circle of life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Beeswax posted:

I dunno, as a very long time lurker I think that dunking on new posters who don't know 5+ years of inside jokes and catchphrases is really bad. Much like when, a few years back, someone made a thread along the lines of "New to MMA? Ask us! No stupid questions! Welcome!" and basically from page 2 onward any question was met with obscure injokes and catchphrases rather than genuine answers. I reckon there's a reason why there is such a (relative) lack of new posters here, "lol dead gay forum".

Note that I'm not saying that the dunking is the bad part.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get the sense that Lobstermobster is a Tito fan in the same way that someone is an Alan Partridge fan. Like she watches Tito, and she enjoys time spent observing him, but I don't think she likes him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how PMP seems to be turning into Moe from the three stooges.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And if it matters, from what I remember at the time what fatherdog was pissed off about is he felt that d&d was being too tolerant of nazi posters.

I miss his analysis, tbh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Aspen Ladd out of next week's event with a torn ACL and MCL, drat.

She truly is the new Cat Zingano.

Well welcome back to her in two years and condolences on that future embarrassing TKO loss I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Genki Sudo's facial expressions are what I'd expect if he were solving a moderately tricky crossword puzzle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cat Zingano was lined up to be a big exciting title challenger then her knee died and she came back after a long time and lost a bunch.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

devilmonk posted:

Seems like Josh Emmett might be a good bet tonight as an underdog. True?

Yes, in that it's a tough fight to pick. Emmett is a good fighter, and I think that there was some mid-level ref incompetence in his loss to Stephens (there was a low blow or an eye poke or something that didn't get called leading into the finish).

I picked Burgos because I think that Burgos is at least as good as Emmett, and that his striking game is sophisticated enough not to get clipped by big hooks, so he gets by on the "styles make fights" tiebreaker. Ring rust also figures in that prediction, but for all we know Powder could be coming back with a shitload of new tricks in his kit to surprise us.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

they did add former Invicta atomweight champ Jinh Yu Frey vs 20 year old Kay Hansen (both have had basically 90% of their fights in Invicta) for a strawweight bout that could be interesting

:shrug:

Kay Hansen is the female Bryce Mitchell.

She also had one of the funniest finishes I've ever seen wherein her opponent ragdolled her for 13 minutes and then suplexes her right into an armbar

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if there was some way to use easy software like google sheets to do a goon ranking system that we update with each monthly thread.

do google quizzes have any kind of ranked list option?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

Anyways i hope everyone is doing well. I miss the funny posts and people from here and hope you are all doing well

I like your posts because you make me laugh sometimes and then other times you make me mad at you with like an 80/20 split. That's a good balance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone in another thread I follow is suggesting that goons hold on for a bit but put on ad blockers to stop giving lowtax money to give the situation a chance to shake out. That's a decent idea and it's what I'm doing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

invite link - https://discord.gg/SkR8ZeC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Best case scenario imo

SA gets purchased and lowtax removed
SA gets handed off to admins who get paid
SA continues to run but now with open books so there's no more black box fundraising.