Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

------------ ANTS -----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

---------- SPIDER -------------

Christmas spider. Small and harmless

munce
Oct 23, 2010

---------- PODS ---------------------

Wasps

Spiders?

What lives here?? A large wasp? A small bird? It's the size of an orange, made from mud. One small hole on the top and a larger hole lower down.

Wasp galls

More galls

?

Three leaves stuck together with silk.

A small door is visible in the silk wall.

Whatever made this eats the leaves, sticks them together and puts all those brown lumps there.

The leaf has been bent around in a triangle and held in place with silk.

A long flexible tube hanging from the bark. It has bits of sand/bark stuck to it for camouflage. It was flapping around in the wind. Very strange.

Blowing in the wind.

Eggs

?? Pink jelly eggs?

Cocoon

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Meat ants are great- when rival colonies are too close, thousands of the workers resolve the situation by carefully lining up along the border and kicking at one another for hours. Eventually one side retreats; neither suffers any losses.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Meat ants are great- when rival colonies are too close, thousands of the workers resolve the situation by carefully lining up along the border and kicking at one another for hours. Eventually one side retreats; neither suffers any losses.

We could learn a lot from meat ants.

Also your thread is chill as gently caress OP.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

munce
Oct 23, 2010

---------- BUG ---------------

munce
Oct 23, 2010

----------- LEAF BUG ----------------

munce
Oct 23, 2010

---------- FROG --------------

Sleeping under some cow dung.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

----------- SPIDER ---------------

Also under the cow dung with the frog (and the dead assassin bug earlier)

munce
Oct 23, 2010

-------------- COW IN THE WATER --------------

It is getting very hot and dry so the cows like to get in the water to cool off, have a drink and eat the plants

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love cows so much, they seem like real pals.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I love cows so much, they seem like real pals.

Really they're more like landscape features than friendly animals. You have to understand that most of these animals have almost zero contact with humans for their entire lives. There is one that I think was hand reared years ago. It comes right up to you looking for food/scratches like a pet dog. Freaked me out the first time it happened.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

----------------------- BIRDS ---------------------

More apostle birds

New bird that has arrived in the last few days. Very cool and unafraid of people.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

------------ UNPLEASANT CATERPILLAR ---------------

A weird caterpillar with tentacles all over its body. There are clusters of small black bugs and sometimes ants living near/on them.

Small bug clusters visible

A nest. They exude strands of a sticky white substance to create their houses. Many of the creatures are seen jammed together inside this structure.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

That's very interesting. I will keep an eye out for anything like that happening here.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

munce posted:

------------ UNPLEASANT CATERPILLAR ---------------

A weird caterpillar with tentacles all over its body. There are clusters of small black bugs and sometimes ants living near/on them.

These are mealybugs which are pests for gardeners and the ants are helping protect them in exchange for food.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

A black cockatoo in a bush

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Nice pics, the pink goo is some kind of scale insect pest. A few of the cocoons seem to have been parasitized by tiny wasps.

The gold bum ants with the thorax spines are a polyrhachis species. They are a type of Weaver ant, and can weave bark and leaves together. When I keep them in captivity, a piece of bark on the starter testtube helps them kick off to a good start.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I have some pics I can post if thats kosher. They aren't from the bush, just the woods.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

I have some pics I can post if thats kosher. They aren't from the bush, just the woods.

Yeah go ahead. Let's see some more creatures.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Velvet Ant, gorgeous but scary when they crawl under you while you are sitting down.

Big ant boi

We run into a fuckton of turkeys

We accidentally camped on a salt lick so we had many visitors, including two bulls who didn't really give a gently caress.

Tadpoles, lots and lots of tadpoles.

Had this rattler identified but forgot. It cruised through all of our gear and kept on going thankfully.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Velvet Ant, gorgeous but scary when they crawl under you while you are sitting down.

Nice ant! And a rattlesnake in your camp. That would keep you on your toes.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Velvet ants are flower wasps, powerful sting

munce
Oct 23, 2010

A bat in a cave.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

---------- BUGS ------------------

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

munce posted:

A dingo

Would like to see more of this fine specimen, if you're taking requests.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

----------- KANGAROOS -------------

munce
Oct 23, 2010

----------- SMALL GRASSHOPPER -------------------

munce
Oct 23, 2010

humpthewind posted:

I think have a few more somewhere. I'll see if i can find them.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Dung beetle.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

-------- CENTIPEDE ---------------

munce
Oct 23, 2010

--------- SMALL WASP -------------

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

munce posted:

----------- KANGAROOS -------------

:aaaaa:

The Detroit Zoo (US) has a walk through kangaroo exhibit and it was the best day of my life at that time when a kangaroo hopped across the path in front of me. Petting a koala is on my bucket list. They look so soft! This is a great thread.

E: what is that bright green plant the wasp is in the shade of. It looks like touching it would result in a slow and painful death.

E2: That greyscale wasp looks like something from Tim Burton.

Thora fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 16, 2020

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Fat Albert in a can posted:

:aaaaa:

The Detroit Zoo (US) has a walk through kangaroo exhibit and it was the best day of my life at that time when a kangaroo hopped across the path in front of me. Petting a koala is on my bucket list. They look so soft! This is a great thread.

E: what is that bright green plant the wasp is in the shade of. It looks like touching it would result in a slow and painful death.

E2: That greyscale wasp looks like something from Tim Burton.

I couldn't tell you what that plant is, but it's not dangerous. The wasp is tiny, only ~5mm, and the plants aren't much bigger. From eye level they just look like little plants, totally unremarkable. You only see the detail with macro photography. Or if you were face down on the ground.

If you want a dangerous plant check this out:
Gympie Gympie / Stinging Bush / Suicide Plant

It grows in the rainforests up here. Not where I work, on the coast.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

humpthewind posted:

This is a different one.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006