Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Try the one for automatically picking things up, people really love that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it’s really cool that ND added all sorts of customization into the game but I think it kind of sucks that there isn’t a static “hardest” difficulty and corresponding trophy.

The first thing I wanted to do was go from hard to survivor in a second play through but not only is there no trophy for it, something that has always been in ND games, but playing on survivor feels kind of meaningless since you can just tweak everything to be super easy anyways. Just kind of felt like “what’s the point?”

The accessibility stuff is good but I don’t like that they just decided to ignore the crowd that enjoys a pre baked challenge. Which is historically not something they’ve done as a developer.

I’m hoping a grounded style mode is added with its own set of trophies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm gonna be real, I turned on the thing that put a literal arrow pointing to where the next story bit takes you and frankly if every single game that ever comes out in the future had that feature I would be A-OK with that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Macaluso posted:

I'm gonna be real, I turned on the thing that put a literal arrow pointing to where the next story bit takes you and frankly if every single game that ever comes out in the future had that feature I would be A-OK with that

This sounds really useful so you know where not to go if you want to explore. gently caress getting locked out of an area with no warning.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I saw a cat run by at one point in the game, and I was like :unsmith: because these games are always like dogs and horses and roaches, so it was nice to see that the powerful kitty cat was thriving

I bet that cat is thriving as hell, aren't cats supposed to be an invasive species? I wonder how the sudden release of every housecat into the wild plays out across 25 years. I'm sure most of the first generation is spayed and neutered but that seems like enough time for prides of feral predator cats to blanket the continent. It chips away at TLOU's realism every time you shove an obstruction out of the way and a cat doesn't leap out from behind it and hiss at you. It's too late for the games but maybe the TV show can address this.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Alright, yeah, uh, just reached the flashback to the hospital, and to be honest? I have even more contempt for the Fireflies now.

They just loving left priceless hospital equipment and research materials? Left something worth its weight in gold to helping people in communities and building a safer world? Abandoned the research material another doctor could have used to build upon - and don't loving tell me there are no doctors left in the world or no means of training new ones?

gently caress these worthless shitstains, they just wanted to be low-effort heroes.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I beat the game a couple days ago and it's still sitting heavy on my mind. I absolutely loved it, I think I might have liked it more than TLOU1 but I haven't played that one since it debuted on PS3.

Loved the story and themes and everything, and the gameplay and combat is so so good.

I actually really appreciate that there are no difficulty trophies, because it means being a completionist and trying to plat are going to be very reasonable to do. The worst part will be just finding all the collectibles.

I do feel like I need a break from the game after all the darkness and heaviness, but I would be interested in replaying it on a lower difficulty setting with all the ammo drops turned way up. I played the whole game on normal and basically full stealth almost all the time.

EDIT: gently caress all them dogs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The platinum not being tied to difficulty is making the collectible hunt a lot more fun knowing I can get anything I missed in a next run and then wrap up the game on a good note.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I really am not a fan of trophies existing to justify playing a game on a punishing difficulty.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
FROM games need these accessibility options

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I blew all of the dogs up and didn't feel bad about it.

Yeah IDGAF about any dog, when it started tutorializing the (mechanic/1st third of the game) scent trail thing I immediately used a proximity bomb and IEDed Rover.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

david wasnt a paedophile was he? dont think its even implied.

It's heavily, heavily implied. To the degree that in 2013 when I first watched that cutscene of her in the jail and David touched her hand like that I went "gently caress you!" and the controller literally shot out of my hand and onto the hardwood floor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stev posted:

Yeah I really am not a fan of trophies existing to justify playing a game on a punishing difficulty.

Alternately, I don't ever hunt for trophies except difficulty based ones, because I think it's an excuse to do a fun challenge and I don't enjoy seeking out collectables. it's not like I'm even good at games or anything I just find it a fun way to get the most out of the gameplay in a game. hunting for collectables just feels like busy work I'm not interested in.

So it's pretty disappointing to me that AAA games are slowly abandoning difficulty based trophies.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 2, 2020

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I'm kinda not really on board with the whole "but are WE the baddies?!" thing they have going with the WLF vs Seraphites. Yes, actually, enforced child brides plus transphobia is The Bigger Baddies, game.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Trophies and achievements have always sucked, the only ones I've ever liked have been silly ones where the ding comes up for you doing something goofy and it's like "haha I'm glad the game recognised that". Otherwise I think they discourage players finding their own fun and accomplishment in the game and have negatively impacted game design with more checklisty bullshit.

I love that Nintendo chose not to have them on the switch

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

I'm kinda not really on board with the whole "but are WE the baddies?!" thing they have going with the WLF vs Seraphites. Yes, actually, enforced child brides plus transphobia is The Bigger Baddies, game.

There's a good post in this thread about it, but reducing it to "truth is in the middle" is not as good of a read as "I am not innocent".

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jetrauben posted:

The WLF's claim to lesser evil status kind of falls apart at (near-end game spoilers) attempted genocide.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I blew all of the dogs up and didn't feel bad about it.

If I'm not going to try and reason with or spare a human being, I'm sure as poo poo not going to care about shooting a dog.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Yeah IDGAF about any dog, when it started tutorializing the (mechanic/1st third of the game) scent trail thing I immediately used a proximity bomb and IEDed Rover.

Yes absolutely. The correct way to play that section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUccLQdrMJg

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

talktapes posted:

Yes absolutely. The correct way to play that section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUccLQdrMJg

The little cutscene that follows matches and everything. I wanna do a more Solid Snake approved run next time. I tried often, but would almost always blow my cover at some point. Relied too much on cover and not enough on distractions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enojy posted:

The only video gamey suspension of disbelief that bugs me is that you can't fashion a melee weapon out of the glass bottles in an emergency, and that you only get like 5 or 6 swings max out of a machete. Come on. I get that the handle is probably all jigged with tape and whatnot, but you spend the entire game collecting tape. If you were sneaky enough, you should be able to complete the game with a single machete (some scripted encounters notwithstanding.)

I wish they'd been able to put in third-person Far Cry 2 healing animations so you're not perpetually wrapping the same arm in an ever growing layer of gauze.

Macaluso posted:

Saaaaaame. If it's not Yakuza I'm generally playing a game that has either a minimap or a waypoint on where to go. It's a good Dead Space idea that should be in every game so you know where not to go for complete looting of supplies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/anghil/status/1278808690053668864?s=21

25 part tweetstorm from the sound designer about how they developed the seraphites’ whistle language, pretty wild

It really did strike me how much acting went into the whistles. You clearly understood “one of us got killed” or “I think somebody’s here”

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 3, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So, turns out I was wrong, the slow mo mode is halving the game speed and not some other weird ratio. Which is odd, the game feels too fast to me when I re-double the speed, but cutscenes don’t lie I guess. :v:

And the original reveal trailer at 60fps is gnarly, by the way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It just occurred to me that I never once used the trip mines. I just straight up forgot I had them.

Might have to replay just to blow something up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stev posted:

It just occurred to me that I never once used the trip mines. I just straight up forgot I had them.

They're great! I suspect that at least on regular difficulties they attract enemies to them as on normal wherever I put them they'd eventually blow someone up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stev posted:

Stealth kill a dude, drop a tripmine on the body, toss a bottle nearby.

:getin:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This is dark as poo poo, but there's an animalistic satisfaction of dropping a mine, walking away, hearing a boom, and then hear the enemy's screams of pain through the walls.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I can’t play the game, but watching MK fire and ice get more and more weapons and still revert to “throw bottle, stealth kill” is hilarious.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was under the impression that the non-warriors or people outside of David's "circle" were unaware they were eating people. Because the notes in the freezer are a bit cryptic about what the "meat" actually is. They complain about running out of food, etc. I think the fighters/leaders in that community lacked the skills to find resources the way people at Jackson do.

In the first game, I played on Hard once and then never player again. It was fun, I can't imagine what a pain in the rear end it would be to do it without listen mode. Plus the shortage of bullets made every encounter a mix of sneaking and running away. I'm glad that even on hard in this game I'm getting more bullets so I can enjoy the shooting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Golden Bee posted:

I can’t play the game, but watching MK fire and ice get more and more weapons and still revert to “throw bottle, stealth kill” is hilarious.

Reminds me of all the times I've played MGS games using nothing but the tranq gun for no reason other than it feels like the right thing to do.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

stev posted:

The only time I really tried to use them was in santa barbara as ellie in the house with the shamblers and stalkers that come in via the window. i set up a few hoping to take out the stalkers but i kept getting blown up lol. I found them tough to use in a confined space

I just started replaying and holy hell is abby's sneak grapple kill risky as gently caress. sticking your forearm right near an infected person's mouth? hot drat do you have to have some confidence in your neck snapping ability to roll with that move over and over lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Trip mines have an unexpectedly large blast radius, which gets ridiculously large with the upgrade, and on top of that they deal a poo poo ton of damage, which is great for killing a curious guard and his buddy who is hanging about ten feet behind. On normal if you hit a shambler with one it only takes one shotgun blast to finish them off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I knew it was coming I dropped a trip mine in front of that room where you're supposed to come out and see a Stalker creeping around and as I got out of eyesight of the door there was a giant explosion and zombie chunks everywhere.

TLoUS2 is the point where I came to terms with the fact that gore doesn't make me uncomfortable per se, I just have a preference for the non gory stuff like Uncharted, Spider-Man, XCOM 2, Yakuza with blood off, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
LOL, Ellie grabs dudes from 5 feet away as if she was Zangief

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sees triangle icon on screen

Presses grab

Bad guy turns around the corner

Ellie reaches out hand

“Come to meee”

Tractor beam pulls bad guy into Ellie’s arms from around the wall

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

Sees triangle icon on screen

Presses grab

Bad guy turns around the corner

Ellie reaches out hand

“Come to meee”

Tractor beam pulls bad guy into Ellie’s arms from around the wall

There was a crazy moment that happened during the Ellie Boss fight, as Abbey: I was near a corner and ellie stuck her head around the corner like a cartoon character, then loving murdered me.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

The only time I really tried to use them was in santa barbara as ellie in the house with the shamblers and stalkers that come in via the window. i set up a few hoping to take out the stalkers but i kept getting blown up lol. I found them tough to use in a confined space

I just started replaying and holy hell is abby's sneak grapple kill risky as gently caress. sticking your forearm right near an infected person's mouth? hot drat do you have to have some confidence in your neck snapping ability to roll with that move over and over lol

Hell, Abby taking Infected with bare knuckle or merely gloved punches to the head is incredibly risky.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The various factions don't seem particularly plausible in a post-apocalypse. The groups are happily diverse, multi-ethnic yet we're shown that humanity is its own biggest enemy so a more realistic imagining would involve conflict between racial enclaves. It's even more annoying when we think about how PoCs in both LoU1 and LoU2 serve only to die for the main white characters. That's pretty racist.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Choices are great in games that are completely driven by it (Disco Elysium Disco Elysium Disco Elysium) such that the entirety of the game will be a varied experience throughout for each player, but are completely pointless when it's just "which ending scene plays such that you can look up the other one on YouTube"
Yeah I said this a hundred pages ago, but not every game should be a player insert "you get to choose the ending" RPG. You're not playing as yourself, you're playing as the character. It's an interactive linear story.

stev posted:

I used them when there was a chance of getting flanked, it is so satisfying to hear someone get blown up when they thought they were being sneaky. They work well when putting them on your scent trail too.

veni veni veni posted:

I think it’s really cool that ND added all sorts of customization into the game but I think it kind of sucks that there isn’t a static “hardest” difficulty and corresponding trophy.

The first thing I wanted to do was go from hard to survivor in a second play through but not only is there no trophy for it, something that has always been in ND games, but playing on survivor feels kind of meaningless since you can just tweak everything to be super easy anyways. Just kind of felt like “what’s the point?”
You can... just not use accessibility options? If you're doing it for you own challenge rather than some kind of internet credit, then it doesn't matter if the option is there, when you don't use it. And the difficulty setting itself in the save file will show the lowest option - if you set all sliders to Survivor but one to Very Light, it will display Very Light.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

shrike82 posted:

The various factions don't seem particularly plausible in a post-apocalypse. The groups are happily diverse, multi-ethnic yet we're shown that humanity is its own biggest enemy so a more realistic imagining would involve conflict between racial enclaves. It's even more annoying when we think about how PoCs in both LoU1 and LoU2 serve only to die for the main white characters. That's pretty racist.

In today's culture if Abby where anything but white, it would have opened up a whole other can of worms.