Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do the U-wing fill a specialized role or is it simply a souped up X-wing in the lore?

Its a troop transport. It looks like both teams will get 3 fighters that fill specific roles and then likely an objective type ship that might be used in certain mission types.

A-wing & Interceptor = Fast kill shooty ships
Y-wing & Tie Bomber = Heavy ships
X-wing & Tie Fighter = all rounders (even tho the Tie Interceptor should just be strictly better)
U-wing & Tie Reaper = troop transports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Have to see how the game plays, but I don't mind a first person only flight sim being 5v5. There is likely going to be AI ships as well, and something like 12v12 could just devolve into group shooting enemy ships.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

SyRauk posted:

I'm more concerned that it's first-person only. I appreciate them trying to make it "immersive" because of the VR aspect but I really want my 3rd person BF2 SFA perspective. I tried playing in cockpit mode in BF2 and it's really hard to see what the hell is going on especially in ships like the A-Wing. I'd be totally fine if only VR players were required to play in FP mode but I don't really care for VR, especially because not everything appears "sharp" and you have that annoying screen door effect causing even more problems.

This looks like its trying to scratch a very particular itch which has been neglected for a long time, which is the xwing/tie fighter gameplay. Those games were primarily played first person. I personally think they should make a rogue squadron successor as well as this, cuz I know people like third person.

But yea this isn't first person because of "VR", its first person because X-Wing and Tie Fighter should be played from the cockpit baby!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Acebuckeye13 posted:

this thread is now exclusively for arguing which fighters are better, both fictional and otherwise

The Y-Wing is the ultimate space craft, and will destroy all comers. In Return of the Jedi it is shown chasing down & out maneuvering tie interceptors.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Word from the Mouse that they need to get their asses in gear and get some bankable products rolling so the brand can save some face after episode 9?

Rinkles posted:

What happened that EA seems to have suddenly remembered it has the SW license?

This is actually it though it happened before episode 9 which is why Respawn got tasked with turning around FO quick and why EA went from like 1 star wars game in development to like 3+. They were in deep poo poo with Disney because they had exclusive license and only had 2 actual games released with the rest being mobile only, and not even particularly good mobile games. There were a bunch of industry insider stuff coming out before Fallen Order came out that Disney could have used some exit clause parameters to revoke the agreement early and were thinking of it. They didnt end up doing it because EA paid 4 billion for the license and Disney doesnt have to do poo poo, but I hope they don't renew.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Gameplay reveal was solid! Loved the look of the menu/customization systems, which is important because that kind of stuff implies polish elsewhere.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Some more info, here is a graphic on the current known play zones

GameInformer has some info that says there will be no microtransactions/battle passes/games a service AS OF NOW

quote:

Are There Microtransactions?
Although you are earning two currency types that can be used to purchase goods as you play, you cannot spend real money on any items or to buy more currency. The game also doesn’t have a battle pass system, and as of now, Motive Studios isn’t looking at Squadrons as a living game. All of the planned content is in the game on day one.

https://www.gameinformer.com/ea-play/2020/06/18/everything-you-need-to-know-about-star-wars-squadrons

The Databank has some Squadrons related info:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/titan-squadron

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 19, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

George H.W. oval office posted:

Kinda sucks that it’s a one and done if that’s to be believed.

I think its nice to not immediately have to worry about MTX or a battle pass. I'm sure if the game is popular it will receive support. This game was apparently pitched as a labor of love by the dev team, it wasn't something EA made people develop. Makes sense they don't have big commercial plans for it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

8 ships is kinda disappointing. Seems weird to have that many for a 10 player game.

Star Wars isnt about a space battle of 10 unique ships, its about a bunch of tie fighters and xwings facing off with some random other ships thrown it. If they go for strong balance on the initial set of 8 ships it will be fine. If the game is good there will be room for new ship sets I'm sure.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
new "pilot briefing" series by the devs has started. This one has a big confirmation.

quote:

Mastering power management on the fly is what will separate you from the space dust you leave in your wake. Not all starfighters have shields, but those that do have the ability to manually focus them entirely to the front or back when needed, giving twice the protection to one part of the ship

:getin:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-gameplay-overview

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
don't doxx me!

edit: ywing lover snype

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tom Guycot posted:

So, heres a question, how did it become "canon" that TIE Fighters are weak and crappy and lack shields? Where did that get established? Because in the actual films, the ties were fearsome and blew apart x-wings like tissue paper, just as easily as the x-wings blew them apart. The rebels mention deflector shields, but the TIEs never mention not having shields, they just barely have any dialogue to begin with.

Does the whole thing come from the games themselves? Is that where it was first established? Just seems odd it became common knowledge tie's were shieldless crapfactories when nothing in the films really supports that.

A lot of the original "lore" comes from the RPG background stuff that got developed by West End Games. Tie Fighters also had the world building in A New Hope of being short ranged fighters without hyperdrives, which then gets movie canoned in ESB as the Rebel ships are now shown to definitely have hyperdrives.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

howe_sam posted:

Concussion missiles were introduced around the time of RotJ, I want to say in the novelization of the movie? They're what the Falcon used to blow up the reactor in the Death Star.

The A-Wings also use them on the Executor's shield dome. Its interesting that as far as I can remember every main line trilogy movie introduced some kind of new space projectile.

We got proton torps in ANH, space bombs in ESB, Conc Missiles in ROTJ, more energy type projectiles in Ep1, sonic bombs in Ep2, homing cluster + bot bombs in Ep3, more homing type missiles in ep7, magnetic space bombs in Ep8, and I guess if ep9 ever comes out we may see somethning new there.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 16, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

Counterpoint: we don't actually know that the A-wings weren't just firing their regular laser cannons in that run. And even if they were, we still never saw concussion missiles used on a fighter target.

Madurai posted:

They are absolutely sensors of some kind.

They were slower than normal lasers so I like to think they are the same as the falcon is shooting.

Also the domes will always be shield generators its movie AND game canon :colbert: Its obvious the empire will put their shield generators in the worst possible place.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always assumed it was kinda of chain reaction deal. like its not a straight shot into the core but it sets off a bunch of explosions that go into the core.

did he get shot down by the turrets or a tie fighter or what. like i just watched New hope again a couple days ago and i am not sure.

he gets got by the surface guns. You see him assist Red 3 on a strafing run but then refuse to pull up and there are a couple of shots of surface gun crossfire + internal views of the turrets and then he blows up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
You could canon up any number of explanations for the giant arcing energy balls being shot from the ship as they are not being shot from turbolasers/normal types of guns you've seen in star wars before, but massive cannons. it looks and sounds cool. Every time I fire up TLJ and skip around I am reminded that it has the strongest LOOK of any of the ST movies and the best aesthetics and sound design. gently caress its a gorgeous film.

I also think the Poe Dameron -> Bombers -> Kylo strafing run section is a stronger space sequence than anything in the other 2 STs which outside of the initial Falcon chase through Jakku is all very generic feeling and looking. RJ focused a lot on the physicality of the star wars universe which helps add some extra vibrance to all the sequences. The vibration of the bridge as Kylo strafes it, Poe physically jerking the flight stick to do his cool maneuver, it all helps it come together.

If we're rating space sequences in the films I'd go:

1. ANH
2. Rogue One
3. ROTJ
4. TLJ
5. ESB
6. AOTC
7. ROTS
8. TROS
9. EP1

I hope that Squadrons can give some of that Rogue One 3rd act adrenaline to the space fights.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
ROTJ owns, but theres too much intercutting with Endor. Thats why I like Rogue One over it. Rogue Ones entire 3rd act is so loving bomb its worth the kinda janky first 2 acts. Much like someone else in this thread, the end of ANH and ROTJ made me want to be a ywing pilot as a kid, not a jedi. Go Ywings!! *all the y-wings explode*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rogue One's space battle is weaker than Jedi's because it doesn't have as good a sense of progression. The battle still moves in stages like Jedi but it doesn't have as many so most of the shots are disconnected dogfights until they decide to ram the destroyers.

The Y-Wings gently caress up a star destroyer in Rogue One, overruled.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

This is why everyone is doing tier lists these days. ANH/R1/RotJ deserve to be in S tier so you don't have to have arguments.

Oh poo poo lets do a tier list

S: ANH , Rogue One, ROTJ
A: TLJ, ESB
B: AOTC, ROTS
C: TROS
D: Ep1 (seriously it sucks!!! Naboo fighter is cool aesthetically but the fight sucks!)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

An A-Wing hosed up a Super Star Destroyer after blowing a bridge deflector shield.

A Y-Wing crashed into a regular star destroyer bridge and it didn't do poo poo.

The shields were still up so its not a fair comparison.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
/\/\/\
You're supposed to view the holdo maneuver as a last ditch, one in a million shot that only worked because they used the raddus, a gigantic cruiser at exactly the right distance with exactly the amount of inattention paid by the enemy. At a long enough distance you're no longer in real space so you no longer collide, and at a short enough distance you're not going fast enough to do the cool thing. Don't think about it!

RFC2324 posted:

You guys are forgetting Solo, which had some cool space sequences.

The kessel run was actually a solid cinematic sequence, even if Solo should never have existed in the first place.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 21, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

It ain’t great. Where Rebels was a show about a kid, Resistance is a kids show

Resistance had gorgeous art and a style perfectly suited to high speed dog fights/chases and then squandered it on a very young age oriented plotting. I wish they'd make a 12 and up type show based around dog fighting with that animation crew, as the sense of speed was GREAT compared with Rebels/Clone Wars which had a very sluggish feel to the space ship stuff.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
You can have a kowakian monkey lizard hologram in your cockpit, goty

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
extremely cursed page

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

They've announced that there is no upcoming DLC like ships or maps so there's two ways you can interpret that. Either they're lying and trying to look good to grogs or EA is hedging their bets and waiting to see if a discount space sim can sell well. If it's the latter then they won't even start on adding new stuff for a while and it'll be even longer before we see anything like a B-Wing.

I think if its popular theres no way we won't get a quick turnaround sequel or an expansion/DLC. I took most of their DLC points to be related to the ship customization and the cosmetic stuff being all earnable in game.

Ideally for me this game is a hit and we get a nice full campaign single player with tons of missions at some point in the next 2 years. They look like they have built a really kickass foundation to basically do anything akin to Xwing/Tie Fighter.

poo poo re-master both of those games on this platform.

Then gimme that juicy XWA sequel.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
C3PO specifically says he is going to scarif in his cameo, it was a stupid cameo but not movie shattering

far more annoying to have ponda baba and Dr evazan on jedha

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
xwing pilots are too horny, a ywing pilot would never have sex. They'd be too busy thinkin bout them tubes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RFC2324 posted:

Thinkin bout tubes doesn't get you horny?

a y-wing's tubes are chaste, you fiend

NSFW

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 10, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
We just got a brief look, but the story missions look like they will be very much in the OG school. Fully voice acted and you can meet with your commanders/squadmates between missions to chat. Looks neat but I wish they had shown more.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zEjIEP1038

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

I think it was also held back because the game sets it up like the characters might be Rey’s parents and the movie was coming out. And then the movie comes out and the game is like Lolololol I can’t believe you idiots thought we were rey’s parents

I dont remember the story of BF2 having anything to do with setting up Rey's parents.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

It ends with two people going on the run with one of them being pregnant.

The time frame doesn't work. I played it when it came out and played the later missions and I gotta say I just didnt get any kind of Rey connection at all. Its set too far before TFA for it to have anything to do with Rey. Not to mention the main lady character is Indian and her love interest is similarly darker skinned and Rey is a lily white british chick.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
That short was sick, agree that I think it'd be sweet to get a disney plus xwing vs tie fighter series.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

3 posted:

I don't really have as much of a problem with it in Star Wars as I do in Gundam because in Gundam the conflict between the EFF and Zeon is actually presented as morally grey, which does unfortunately end up leading to dipshits actually thinking Zeon had a point (see also: MS IGLOO). Meanwhile, Star Wars has such a clearly cut black and white good versus evil throughline that I don't really mind them taking the time to make sympathetic Imperial characters because at the end of the day it's more interesting than moustache-twirling snidely whiplashes in star destroyers, and we know the Empire canonically loses at the end of the day.

I disagree as because Star Wars is such a cut and dried good vs evil story you muddy the waters when you're like "Look, this imperial ace who shoots down civilian transports and genocides planets with an ISD just hates non-humans because a wookie killed his dad (while trying to not become enslaved), RELATABLE!"

You can present them with motivations but you have to not make them sympathetic.

Like they're space nazis, man, who gives a poo poo that this tie fighter guy married a dude and wants to get back to him alive. He should get murked by 20 y-wings asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The empire in the OT is all stuffy classist british dudes led by a warlock and the rebel alliance has female leadership and the culmination of it in rotj is a multi race coalition led by Mon Mothma.

I like how the old EU handled bringing female imperial leaders , not sold on what the new EU is doing but tbf I haven't read most of the books (only comics) so maybe they have a good explanation for all the female isd commanders or whatever.