Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Thought this forum might be interested:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-06-19/bus-from-jon-krakauer-into-the-wild-is-removed-from-alaskan-wilderness

"
By Associated Press
June 19, 2020
4:26 AM
JUNEAU, Alaska —

An abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness, popularized by author Jon Krakauer’s book “Into the Wild” and the movie of the same name, has been removed, state officials said.

The decision prioritizes public safety, Alaska Natural Resources Commissioner Corri Feige said Thursday.

The bus has long attracted adventurers to an area without cellphone service and marked by unpredictable weather and at-times swollen rivers. Some have had to be rescued or have died. Christopher McCandless, the subject of the book and movie, died there in 1992.

The rescue earlier this year of five Italian tourists and death last year of a woman from Belarus intensified calls from local officials for the bus, about 25 miles from the Parks Highway, to be removed.

The Alaska Army National Guard moved the bus as part of a training mission “at no cost to the public or additional cost to the state,” Feige said.

The Alaska National Guard said in a statement that the bus was removed using a heavy-lift helicopter. The crew ensured the safety of a suitcase with sentimental value to the McCandless family, the statement added, without describing that item further. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I flew over this when it was still there in little Cessna... it was prettttay out there with nothing around

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Good, imo.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rip to the bus. killed by potato seeds

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Alaskans always laugh about what a god damned moron that kid was. Good, glad they moved it.

e: the kid and also that ding-dong who got eaten by the grizzlies on camera

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWfVqvoyc4

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea apparently several stupid people had to be rescued from the bus due to making pilgrimages to it so it was both dangerous and im pretty sure locals were tired of footing the bill for rescuing dumbass tourists who had no idea what they were doing

i kind of get why people are obsessive about mccandless since he represents something a lot of people wish they could do but god was he dumb

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Aren't people still going to go out to the location, even without the bus? I'm sure someone will go and put up a little memorial with a toy bus or something.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Idea: refuse to rescue anyone going to the bus and don't recover their bodies, like everest, so future adventurers can use their corpses as landmarks

i know there's some flaws in this plan like that there's no bus anymore and bodies would just rot or be eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Man, the sound of tourists and hikers going far into the wilderness without anyway of getting telephone service just to find a rusty abandoned bus makes a decent urban legend. Would be better than siren head at least