Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007




The Cast:

Amani, the Fae, played by Klingon w Bowl Cut

Dylan Mbaye, the Wizard, played by paradoxGentleman

Leo Carter, the Veteran, played by Ferrosol

Ophelia Shahmaran, the Tainted, played by Old Kentucky Shark

--------------------

As winter comes to Columbus, the supernatural side of the city is facing new problems. The vampires were already pushing their way downtown and now with night coming up earlier and lasting longer they’re going to be harder to deal with. The Winter Court usually has to deal with the Summer Court as rivals but with the Summer Court pulling out of the east side for some reason, who knows what the Winter Court might get up to. And known to only a very few, there’s a revenant out on the streets and Hades hasn’t been made aware yet.

Amani: You’re at your shop, waiting for Leo. He was supposed to be here with the gun you ordered from him, but he hasn’t shown up or called. And the gun might come in handy - recently you’ve had the vampires and werewolves looking around your shop as the vampires are moving in because of the Summer Court’s withdrawal and the werewolves are trying to keep them from getting too far downtown. You might be getting someone coming in and start demanding protection payments soon.

While it might be worth considering if you should wait for Leo or go ahead and leave, you hear your cell phone ring. It’s the Sun Queen. “Amani dear,” she says when she picks up. “I need you to find out what’s going on with the Summer court - we can’t just have them leave out of nowhere.” What do you do?

Dylan: The Brotherhood has sent you to pick up some of the artifacts the rogue wizard had gotten ahold of - a lot of it was hidden around various caches in the city and even then they’re not sure if they have them all. Once they’ve got what they can get right now, they’ll move on to gathering with the other cabals and sorting out this mess of who gets what among the two cabals fighting it out.

Meanwhile, you’re near a storage unit rental which is supposed to be one of her caches. You've gotten your hands on the keys and it should have been easy to just walk in, see what’s there, and take it back. Except there’s an old man inside, looking through the items. His head snaps up and focuses on you. “You must have the wrong unit,” he says in a gruff voice. But you notice him covering his hand that has a strange ring on it, and you just barely catch the mystical hum of magic charging. He looks rather familiar too...what do you do?

Leo: You’ve talked to some people, gotten some materials rushed in , and put in some work on it yourself and you have Amani’s gun ready for her. You were heading to her shop to hand it over - but on the way you were ambushed by a group of strangers and stuffed in the trunk of a car sans your gun and phone. From what you can overhear as your captors talk, they’ve been trying to find you for a while. They refer to you as “that gently caress who helped Tony get away” so at least you know this is for what you recently did and not something from the last time you were in the game.

You feel the car go underground, and slowly pull in somewhere. The car stops, and then the driver turns off the engine. You hear footsteps approach, pause at the trunk, and then it opens. A young woman looks at you, smiling. “Hello Leo. Glad we got to you before anyone else. Got a moment to talk?” You see fangs hidden in her mouth - seems you’ve attracted the attention of some vampires. Taking a quick look around, you see you’re in some kind of hidden chop shop. What do you do?

Ophelia: With winter starting up, Hades has withdrawn a bit - Persephone is going to be with him for the next few months and he always takes a bit of a vacation when that happens. There’s still work to do, but most people are coming directly to you since you’re the top Kerberos in Columbus.

You’re at Echoes of the Tidal Song’s yoga studio, hanging out with her. She’s smiling and chatting with you over a cup of tea...but you can tell she’s a little worried. She briefly mentions the Summer Court wanting to pull out downtown, and since she’s a member of it you know that’s on her mind. “The King and Queen must have gotten mad about something, but you know how they are. I’m sure they’ll calm down soon enough.”

The door to the yoga studio opens, and you see a man in a strange suit walks inside. He looks annoyed and frantic at the same time. “Ophelia Shahmaran? I’m Ryouta Katou, with the court of Blossoms. Hades appears to be quite busy so I need to talk to you right now.” Echoes looks between the two of you. The emissary from the out of town court has been the talk of the Wild faction, and here he is demanding your attention. What do you do?


------------------

OOC Thread

NPC and Debts

Please put your character sheet in a quote block at the bottom of your first post, and keep it updated as the game goes on. For the start of the game, wait until everyone has made one post before posting again. This is just so that it’s easier for me to look at character sheets in the future when coming back to the first page.

Rules

Make one move or roll per post, ask me if you want to do more

When you gain a debt, add it to the document and insert a note detailing what the debt is for. When you cash in a debt, remove it from the document if they don’t refuse to honor the debt

Enjoy your time in Columbus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


The doors of the storage unit groan like old men standing up when I push them. The smell of dust and old things almost makes me sneeze as my eyes adjust to the darkness, half-lit by a small, swinging lightbulb. The whipping of the old man's head towards me alerts me of his presence, and I freeze a little from the surprise. I can feel magical energies dancing around that ring, which makes me glad I took care to recharge my own magical batteries before coming here.

For now, though, it might pay off to play the fool. I furrow my brow: "Really? This is storage unit 214, isn't it? My keys worked..." In the meantime I try to figure out who this guy is. Have I seen him before?

Channeling: 2d6+2 = (5+6)+2 = 13. I hold 4, thanks to my Focus.

Put a name to a face: 2d6+1 = (3+1)+1 = 5. Either I don't know him, or I knw him and owe him a debt

quote:

Name: Dylan Mbaye, the Wizard
Look: Male, black, comfortable clothing
Demeanor: Sardonic

Stats: Blood -1, Heart 0, Mind 1, Spirit 2
Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1
Marked Factions: Power
Gear: a nice apartment, a crappy car, a decent cellphone
Snobnosed revolver (2-harm close loud reload concealable)
His magical Focus; an ivory chalice, criss-crossed by black veins. It allows Dylan to gain 1 additional hold when he channels.
His Sanctum, a study in his apartment that he has converted into a laboratory. It contains:
+A library of old tomes
+A scattering of ancient relics
+A mystical prison
+Magical booby traps
But:
-It attracts otherworldy attention
-Its location is known by many

Sanctum Sanctorum: When you go to your Sanctum for a spell ingredient, relic, or tome, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, you’ve got pretty much just the thing. On a 7-9, you’ve got something close, but it’s flawed or lacking in some significant way. On a miss, you don’t have what you’re looking for, but you know someone who probably has it in stock.

Channelling: When you channel and collect your magics, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 3 and choose 1 from the list below. On a miss, hold 1, but you cannot Channel again this scene.
»» Take -1 ongoing until you rest
»» Suffer 1-harm (ap)
»» Mark corruption
Your hold lasts until you spend it. You can spend it to cast any spell you have as per the spell’s details.

Spells:
-Tracking: Spend 1 hold to learn the location of someone. You must have a personal object that belongs to the target or recent leavings of their body (a lock of hair, fingernail clippings, their blood, etc.).

-Shielding: Spend 1 hold to provide armor+1 to yourself or someone nearby, or spend 2 holds to provide armor+1 to everyone in a small area, possibly including yourself. This armor lasts until the end of the scene. You can stack multiple uses of Shielding at once.

-Teleport: Spend 1 hold to teleport yourself a short distance within a scene you’re in.

Wizard Corruption Move
When you strike a deal with someone dark and powerful, mark corruption.
Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, decide whether you care about them or not. If you don’t, they go about their business as normal. If you do, they take -1 ongoing to Escape until they get some intimacy somewhere else.
End Move
When you die, you may place a devastating curse on someone nearby. Specify the effects of the curse and how they may end it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.



Ophelia
Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1

"It's okay," I assure Echoes. I set down my teacup and, not for the first or hundreth time, wish she would serve something a little stronger and more caffeinated than herbal tea. There's only so much rose hips and echinacea that my body can tolerate without throwing up. But fae will be fae, I suppose. "I don't think that your court will really expect a total withdrawal from the city. Your studio will probably be fine."

I'm not at all sure of that, honestly, but I'm not going to say so. I know full well what it's like to owe fealty to distant, impersonal forces that can and will uproot your life at will. Echoes knows too; she's far older than I am, at least in this body. She doesn't want truth, she wants reassurance, and possibly a hug. I settle for a brief hand squeeze, before we're interrupted by a visitor.

Looking down, I realize that I'm still wearing yoga pants. Just great. This is absolutely how I wanted to greet a foreign potentate. I have no choice but to brazen it out. I stand smoothly, and incline my head in a short bow; fae can be touchy about things like handshakes. "I am Ophelia Shahmaran, kerberos of Hades," I announce, making the official introduction.

Well, this is an awkward bit of protocol; normally I would make a formal offer of hospitality, but this is Echoes' place, an it's up to her to handle the niceties. I can't even offer tea; Fae can be very, very touchy about hospitality. I try to shoot her a glance out of the corner of my eye, but of course I'm wearing sunglasses so it doesn't work. My naked gaze can make people a little... anxious.

"How may I be of assistance?" I ask, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Put a Name to a Face:
@Ophelia (OKShark): 2d6+1 = (1+1)+1 = 3. Ophelia either doesn't know him, or is in debt.


quote:

Name: Ophelia Shahmaran
Look: Female, Turkish, Albino, Expensive Clothes, Dark Sunglasses
Demeanor: Corporate
Dark Patron: Hades, Lord of the Underworld

Traits: Blood 1, Heart 1, Mind -1, Spirit 1

Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1


Gear:
A house or apartment, a car (leased Audi), a smart phone
Ancient Bronze Sword (3-harm hand messy)

Moves:

The Devil Inside: When you assume your demon form, roll with Blood.
On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, choose 1 and you owe your patron a Debt.
»» Gain armor+1
»» Heal 2-harm
»» Inflict +1 harm
»» +demonic weapon (3-harm hand or 2-harm close)
»» +demonic movement (flight, flaming motorcycle, etc.)

If you’re working a job for your patron, choose 1 more. If you mark corruption, choose 1 more.

Don’t Look at Me: When you Mislead someone, roll with Heart instead of Mind.

Demonic Gorgon form: snake-hair, claws, scaled skin, burning eyes,

DEMONIC GORGON JOBS
Your dark patron keeps you on Earth for a reason. Choose two jobs from the list below:

Collecting rogue souls, tracking down underworld artifacts

When you complete a job for your patron, mark Wild. Your patron owes you a Debt for every job completed.

You can cash in a Debt with your Patron in order to have them:
»» Answer a question (honestly) about their Faction
»» Introduce you to a powerful member of their Faction
»» Give you a worthy and useful gift without cost
»» Erase a Debt they hold on someone
»» Give you a Debt they have on someone else
»» Give you +3 to Persuade them (choose before rolling)

Your patron may offer you the chance to buy your freedom, but Debts alone won’t be enough.


Tainted Corruption Move
When you persuade someone on your patron’s behalf, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, they give you a Debt they hold on someone else.

End Move
When you die, cash in all the Debts your patron owes you to come back. If you have none, your patron will ask someone else to pay the Debt for you. If they refuse, time’s up. It’s been a good run.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M


Leo Carter
Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 0, Wild 1

Sigh, I can't believe I let these chucklefucks kidnap me like that. I'm getting old and worse that I'm getting sloppy. It should have been a simple delivery run drop the gun off at Amani's place and head for home. But I decided to stop off at the 7-11 on the way to pick up some milk and bread. Obviously someone spotted me and decided to run a little smash and grab operation. They were ok about it for amateurs there were enough of them that I didn't want to try anything stupid, they frisked me pretty thoroughly and relieved me of my gun and phone. But then one of them made the mistake of blabbing while they were loading me into the trunk of their car. So this was related to the Tony business rather than some old job coming back to know.

That trunk was hellaciously uncomfortable mind you. And I think my back is in half. But they stuck a sack over my head and drove us around a little way before hauling me out and dumping me in a chair. I'd rate the whole kidnapping experience as a 6 out of 10. Good start good intentions, poor execution. They hadn't even roughed me up or tied me to the chair. You just can't get quality goons these days. In my day a group like this would be laughed out of town. With the sack removed I could see the dingy little chop shop I was in. Not an awful choice, although the noise outside suggested it was a going concern and not the abandoned building I woulda used for an interrogation. Sloppy. Then she walked in. The Vampire.

You can tell by the way they sometimes forget to breathe. The fangs help of course but if you're paying attention the breathing's a dead give away. Pardon the pun. She looked about early 20's but with vampires that could mean her age was anywhere between 20 and 400. With her I was guessing it was the younger end of the scale but I might be wrong. I wondered if it was worth playing dumb and then decided against it. "You could have just called me up." I said evenly resisting the urge to try and pop my back back into place. "I'd offer you a business card with my phone number on but your men seem to have relieved me of them. it would have been much easier than sending out a whole crew for me. Not that I'm not flattered of course." I said as I tried to figure out if she rang a bell from somewhere. I'd heard bits and pieces about vampires moving back into town but I hadn't really been paying much attention. A fact I was kind of regretting now.

@Leo Carter (Ferrosol): 2d6-1 Putting a name to a face = (2+1)-1 = 2

quote:


Name: Leo Carter
Look: Male, Caucasian, Formal Clothing
Demeanour: Professional

Stats:
Blood -1
Heart 1
Mind 2
Spirit 0

Factions:
Mortality 1
Night 0
Power 0
Wild 1

Gear
A Warehouse Hideout
Nice Car
Smart Phone
9mm Beretta (2-harm close loud)

Debts
Someone relies on you for training or knowledge. They owe you 2 Debts.
You’re working on something big for someone, and it’s nearly ready. They owe you a Debt.
Someone keeps pulling your rear end out of the fire. You owe them 2 Debts.

Workspace:
You have a Workspace that includes a large space for your tools and/or supplies. When you go into your Workspace to work on something, the MC tells you what it will take to complete.
Choose and underline 3 features that your Workspace includes:

a junkyard of raw materials, machining tools, a testing ground,

Items created in your Workspace are safe from the MC. They can’t be destroyed or taken without your permission, even if you sell or give them away to another character.

Drama Moves

Veteran Corruption Move
When you knowingly head straight into danger, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, tell them a story about the past and the lessons you learned. Choose 1:
You both take +1 forward
You take +1 forward and they take -1 forward
Hold 1. Spend the hold to Lend a Hand to that character from any distance

End Move
When you die or retire your character, choose a character to inherit your Workspace and True Artist.

Veteran Moves

Old Friends, Old Favors:

When you first encounter an NPC, you may declare them an old friend instead of Putting a Face to a Name and roll with Mind. On a hit, they offer you comfort and aid, even if it exposes them to danger or retribution. On a 7-9, tell the MC why you owe them a Debt. On a miss, tell the MC why they want you dead.

Too Old for This poo poo!:


When you get caught up in a fight you tried to prevent, you get armor+1 and take +1 ongoing to seeing yourself and others to safety.

The Best Laid Plans:

When you work out a plan with someone, roll with Mind. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. You can spend your hold 1-for- 1, regardless of distance, while the plan is being carried out to:
Add +1 to someone’s roll (choose after rolling)
Dismiss all harm someone suffers from a single attack
Ensure your people have the exact gear they need on hand
On a miss, hold 1, but your plan falls apart at the worst possible moment

Klingon w Bowl Cut
Apr 1, 2009

Q'pla!

Amani
Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1

Annoyance is definitely my predominant emotion at the moment. I had cleared my whole morning of clients in order to receive Mr. Leo Carter and the item I ordered from him, and now he is late! At least I am alone in my office, no one except a pair of guards outside the door to notice my pacing. Note to self: I'm going to need more than two if creatures keep sniffing around here like they have been.

No, no. That's too many worries at once. I sigh and carry myself over to the golden raised basin that stands in the middle of the room. Looking into the water's still surface always calms me. Gazing past my reflection into the ultimate truth behind it... Yes, there we are. Now I am ready to deal with the situation. No sense in sitting on my hands all day.

My phone is halfway out of my handbag when it suddenly starts ringing on its own! The sound and vibration startle me, and the phone nearly slips into the basin. Only a clutch grasp inches from the water's surface saves it. And saves me, when I see who the call is from. I do my best to quickly shove down the last remnants of annoyance, lest the queen think less of me. Sun courtiers are supposed to rule emotions, not be ruled by them, and I must not forget that no matter how long I'm away.

"Your Majesty, thank you for calling," I say, my controlled voice even and warm, just like normal. It takes a lot out of me though, especially once she makes her request. Does the Queen really not know why the Summer Court is leaving? I'm honestly shocked... this must be a bigger deal than I had thought. I don't dare voice any such doubts, although she can likely guess based on the brief pause on my end. She is very adept at determining what her subjects are feeling.

"I would be happy to investigate the situation," I reply, while inside I am quite unhappy to investigate the situation. "I have some ideas where my inquiries might begin, but do you have any leads I should start with?"

The Sun Queen probably realizes I have no idea where to begin, but hopefully she still has enough fondness for me that she won't begrudge a little information fishing on my part.


quote:


Name: Amani
Look: Female, black, expensive clothing
Demeanor: Alien
Member of: Wild

Stats: Blood -1, Heart 1, Mind 1, Spirit 1
Factions: Mortality 1, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 1

Moves:
» Faerie Magic: Whenever you use a Faerie power, choose 1:
»» Mark corruption
»» You owe your monarch a Debt
»» Suffer 1-harm (ap)

» Words Are Wind: When someone breaks a promise to you or lies to you and you find out, they owe you a Debt and you take +1 forward against them

» Scales of Justice: You may cash in a Debt with someone to use a power from Faerie Magic (including powers not normally available to you) on them at no cost.

Faerie Powers:
» Glamours: You create illusions to fool the senses. The effects don’t last long.

» Bedlam: Touch a target to place them in a specific emotional state (your choice). Mark corruption to have that emotion directed toward a target of your choosing.

» Nature's Caress: Your touch heals 2-harm. You cannot use this power on yourself.


Fae Corruption Move
When you break a promise or tell an outright lie, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, demand a promise from them. If they refuse you or break the promise, they owe you 2 Debts.

Gear:
» A nice studio apartment, a car, a smart phone
» A relic from your homelands: the Keeper's Tree, from which the spiritual "drugs" are harvested
» A symbol of your court: A golden Sun Medallion

Debts:
» Someone broke an important promise to you and swore they would make it up to you. They owe you 2 Debts.
» You are keeping something hidden for someone. They owe you a Debt.
» You entrusted someone with a dangerous task. Ask them if they succeeded or failed. If they succeeded, you owe them a Debt. If they failed, they owe you 2 Debts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007




Dylan: The man looks at you. "Ah. It's you, Dylan Mbaye. Leo described you. Said he bailed you out when a demon tried to bite your head off and to mention that?" Now you know who he is - Jack Stewart, the mage who does what the rest of Power won't do, is on their poo poo list, that Leo went to and you covered up for.

Jack has a Debt on you

"Surely you and your friends don't need everything here?" What do you do?

Ophelia: You've heard the name, but Ryouta has only been meeting with members of Wild as little as possible. No one knows what he's up to or what he's doing in the city. He looks at Echoes and says "May I have a smaller cup for tea?" She looks a little confused, but heads out to where she keeps them - giving you two a moment in private. He looks back to you and says, "Why hasn't Hades put a bounty on Nekyomanteius?" Well, perhaps you know what he's here for now. What do you do?

Leo: "Aren't you supposed to be a badass, 'Young Lion'?" She looks you up and down. "Guess you got old. But that's not my problem. This isn't a business offer. Tony owed us a lot of money, and you were the one who helped him skip town. So now you'll do work for me to deal with the werewolf problem downtown. You going to make this easy or hard?" You have no idea who this is - you've heard there was some new leadership among the vampires, and she must have not made much of an impact yet. What do you do?

Amani: "Of course. The Summer Court has been meeting with all kinds of people lately and in private. Thing is, you can never really keep a secret - I'm sure one of them or someone who collects information might be willing to talk. Or perhaps someone from the court?" You did bail out the Knight of Fire Fruit and could call that favor in, although he'll probably only know what he's been told. What do you do?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply