Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Why the hell are we not talking about the Taoist eco-anarchist anthropologist in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nobody felt like making a good OP.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I only read the Earthsea books so far and Wizard of Earthsea never really hooked me but Tombs of Atuan and Tehanu are two of my favorite fiction books from the last fifty years so I'm looking forward to reading more when I get to them.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The Ekumen books are where it's at - try The Dispossed and Left Hand of Darkness to start.

I particularly liked the former, as it explored a failure mode of anarchism that many neglect.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Everyone should go read some Ursula K. LeGuin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
We had a thread for her in Book Barn for a while, but it got archived:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3847214&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post480598609

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

I only read the Earthsea books so far and Wizard of Earthsea never really hooked me but Tombs of Atuan and Tehanu are two of my favorite fiction books from the last fifty years so I'm looking forward to reading more when I get to them.

The Tombs of Ataun really benefits from having read A Wizard of Earthsea first, because it's quite rewarding as you go trough Tombs and slowly realize that the guy who Tenar meets in the caves is actually Ged. Plus you get that great perspective flip where in the first book Ged was this great hero who went on all these adventures and accomplished a bunch of impressive poo poo at a breakneck pace, while in the second book you get to see him through Tenar's perspective and she sees him as just a weird grave-robbing rear end in a top hat.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nine-gear crow posted:

The Tombs of Ataun really benefits from having read A Wizard of Earthsea first, because it's quite rewarding as you go trough Tombs and slowly realize that the guy who Tenar meets in the caves is actually Ged. Plus you get that great perspective flip where in the first book Ged was this great hero who went on all these adventures and accomplished a bunch of impressive poo poo at a breakneck pace, while in the second book you get to see him through Tenar's perspective and she sees him as just a weird grave-robbing rear end in a top hat.

I mean sure I just think that Tenar has a better perspective and is more interesting.

I do like that in both Tombs and Tehanu, we see Ged brought really low and dependent, and while he's not immune to having a temper, he mostly rolls with it rather than throwing tantrums.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 2, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

StratGoatCom posted:

Why the hell are we not talking about the Taoist eco-anarchist anthropologist in here?

Because she's a creepy white Christian who appropriated Daoist themes to make Christian points?

She's a great YA author. But also like a lot of YA authors she's deeply complicated and best not discussed after that particular phase.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Incelshok Na posted:

Because she's a creepy white Christian who appropriated Daoist themes to make Christian points?

Nuclear take here.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Incelshok Na posted:

One thing that I miss in the current iteration of Warhammer is that unlike society at large, it is a lot less gay. The old custodes really made the whole "the Emperor absolutely had sex with the Primarchs" subtext pretty close to text. Every time a ship crashed into another ship, it was clearly anal sex. There was fisting with powerfists. Really great stuff. Space Marines went from being the sacred band of thebes to asexual wimps that are afraid of women.

The old answer to, "Why no women Space Marines?" was "They were prepubescent and pumped full of crazy hormones. They may have started out as a woman but by the time they are a space marine they are all man."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Between this and some of the losers I've been seeing in GBS it appears there's a fresh new crop of dumbass this summer season.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://johngarth.wordpress.com/2021/01/22/ursula-le-guin-the-language-of-earthsea-and-tolkien/

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Lathe of Heaven is short and awesome and involves a population destroying plague. It kind of has an Altered States/Twilight Zone vibe with weird visions and experimental procedures. There was an adaptation PBS did in 1980 but imo it doesn’t really do the material justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

StratGoatCom posted:

The Ekumen books are where it's at - try The Dispossed and Left Hand of Darkness to start.

I particularly liked the former, as it explored a failure mode of anarchism that many neglect.

They're more commonly referred to as the Hainish Cycle these days.

They are fantastic books. I've been a fan of The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed for years, so I picked up the Library of America's two-volume collection of the entire sequence. The early novels in the sequence like Rocannon's World and Planet of Exile are great classic sci-fi adventure stories and neat examinations of cultural differences.

Les Os posted:

Lathe of Heaven is short and awesome and involves a population destroying plague. It kind of has an Altered States/Twilight Zone vibe with weird visions and experimental procedures. There was an adaptation PBS did in 1980 but imo it doesn’t really do the material justice

Sadly, it's also beloved by Objectivists and lolbertarians who take it as a critique of the hubris of social engineers. That doesn't detract from its quality, but be careful if you're looking for analysis or conversations to be had about it.