Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I was specifically talking about the American-made Voltron remake on Netflix BTW, as I was with She-ra. For more kid-oriented/comedy-oriented content Dexter's Laboratory is still pretty classic. Time Squad is another cartoon network gem. The Duck Dodgers tv series from the 00s is fantastic, adult or child. Megas XLR.

None of this is including Superhero shows with a strong scifi bent either. Like the entire DCAU from Batman the Animated Series all the way to Justice League Unlimited, or Young Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can second every suggestion Sanguina just made except young justice but that's only because I haven't seen a single episode one way or another!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
ESPECIALLY Megas XLR

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't Megas XLR impossible to find due to some weird tax thing?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

wdarkk posted:

I would certainly never advocate using means other than strictly legal purchasing from the rights holder to watch an excellent animated TV show.

Certainly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In addition to the shows people already mentioned there's a ton of lovely 60s-70s Space Ghost type stuff and 80s Action Figure Man shows. Superhero stuff isn't exactly sci fi but it often shares a lot of elements, Young Justice in particular is almost a sci fi show with superheroes. Stephen Universe and Adventure time are more science fantasy but they have a good bit of adventures in space with aliens.

There's a bunch of stuff I'm vaguely aware but have never watched like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Wander over Yonder, and I think several hundred episodes of Ben 10.

Genndy Tartakovsky had some mecha show that got canceled pretty quickly but was cool while it lasted. Speaking of which there's also Clone Wars (the 2D cartoon). And speaking of Clone Wars there's also Star Wars: Clone Wars (the 3D one that stars that girl whose species is like "what if twi'leks except twi'lek-er").

it's sort of a different milieu than anime and there's nothing quite like LoGH or Gundam, but there's still a lot of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How are the Yokohama Shopping Trip animations? I've read about half of the manga and I only learned there were anime of it today.

I'm also using this as an excuse to talk about it partially because of the whole "humanity is dying and people are going on dates" thing upthread. The premise of Yokohama Shopping Trip is that humanity is hosed thanks to ecological collapse. Humanity has decided to take their twilight days easy and slide into oblivion with as little fuss as possible. Watch the sunset, do some fishing. The story is told by a robot who runs a coffee shop and knows that she's going to outlive humanity by many, many centuries and is trying to have the best time of it she can while she can.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wdarkk posted:

It doesn't preclude the series becoming available but it requires someone actually willing to spend the money on it. The same thing happened with Sym-bionic Titan and that eventually got added to Netflix.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Narzack posted:

Man, this thread really highlights the lack of western sci fi animation, doesn't it? I mean, what do we have, apart from the awesome Titan AE, Disney's Treasure Planet, and Heavy Metal?

EDIT - Plus some tv shows like Reboot and Exo-Squad

There is Invasion: America, the Red Planet movie someone linked earlier, the CGI Starship Troopers show, and a ton of really cheesy '80s sci-fi animation made for babbys like me (Thundercats, Silverhawks, Dino-Riders, M.A.S.K., Bionic Six, etc.).

Oh, and Ben10.

However, that's nothing compared to all of the sci-fi anime out there.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Bogus Adventure posted:

Invasion: America

I was 100% bought in to the marketing for that show. And then it just kind of... ended. I don’t think I’ve trusted network tv since

also it wasn’t actually all that good, if I’m being honest with myself

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I was 100% bought in to the marketing for that show. And then it just kind of... ended. I don’t think I’ve trusted network tv since

also it wasn’t actually all that good, if I’m being honest with myself

:same:

It started off strong, but it really did end with a wet fart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They just released a Pacific Rim anime Im not going to watch

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, I'm pretty meh about Pacific Rim. The best parts of it were the scientists and Ron Perlman, imho. If Ron's not in the anime, then I'm not gonna watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Transformers goes all over the place, and also sometimes leans into science fantasy. Optimus Prime is P much a monarch by divine right.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

He's also pretty often treated as a messianic figure, right down to dying heroically only to be revived later as a new toy in an upgraded body.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime

So much it's downright hilarious. Being Jesus with a touch of King Arthur will do that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_many_deaths_of_Optimus_Prime

So much it's downright hilarious. Being Jesus with a touch of King Arthur will do that.

Transformers wiki is amazing, one of the very few wikis with any kind of sense of humor.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

wdarkk posted:

Transformers wiki is amazing, one of the very few wikis with any kind of sense of humor.

There's a specific webcomic creator that I think is almost single-handedly responsible for that, he did some kind of comic about working in a toy store and Ronald Reagan is there. Its pretty great.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wdarkk posted:

i want to hear more about the "weird tax thing"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

There's a specific webcomic creator that I think is almost single-handedly responsible for that, he did some kind of comic about working in a toy store and Ronald Reagan is there. Its pretty great.

I think that's David Willis? I used to read Shortpacked! ages ago back when I was into webcomics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Willis_(cartoonist)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Another great sci-fi cartoon on Netflix is Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Bogus Adventure posted:

I wanted to resurrect this thread because we're having good conversations about sci-fi anime in the "Joss Whedon Bad" thread, and am hoping to get more suggestions for shows like Outlaw Star, Space Dandy, and Trigun.

I would like a link to the Joss Whedon Bad thread please, we're in a mood

VV thankyah

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 11, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Buml0r posted:

I would like a link to the Joss Whedon Bad thread please, we're in a mood

Here you go, it's the Firefly Bullying Embassy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912123

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So who's going to make the Ben 10 megathread?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Transformers I think is on balance more American than Japanese, but it really has its feet on both sides. A lot of the original figures (but not all of them) came from Diaclone, which was Japanese, but not all of them, and it was the American company Hasbro that created the whole brand and forged a story for them and commissioned a comic and cartoon, but the cartoon was animated in Japan (like most 80s cartoons), and then after it ended, both America and Japan made separate sequel series with no relation to eachother.

I don't disagree with your overall point, but it's worth pointing out that most of the original Transformers that weren't Diaclones were from the Microman line, which is also Japanese. The rest were either also from Japan or South Korea.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Tulip posted:

How are the Yokohama Shopping Trip animations? I've read about half of the manga and I only learned there were anime of it today.

I'm also using this as an excuse to talk about it partially because of the whole "humanity is dying and people are going on dates" thing upthread. The premise of Yokohama Shopping Trip is that humanity is hosed thanks to ecological collapse. Humanity has decided to take their twilight days easy and slide into oblivion with as little fuss as possible. Watch the sunset, do some fishing. The story is told by a robot who runs a coffee shop and knows that she's going to outlive humanity by many, many centuries and is trying to have the best time of it she can while she can.

I'd also like to know this. The manga is one of my all-time favorites and if the cartoon is even half as good, it'd be worth watching.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I kinda wanna see what happens when a Transformers toyline gets given to Japanese and American studios, with the same toys and characters but otherwise told to make a show out of them completely separately.

The ways they try to thread the needle of selling new toys while keeping main characters relevant can be fun, with the main Autobots getting a repaint and Optimus Prime a new body becoming traditional along with Megatron and Galvatron. I think one series had the main Autobots getting heavy weapon body replacements in time for the finale (though who knows if that was in the show) so Hot Shot the sports car suddenly gets turned into a goddamn APC, and still the lightest one as Red Alert becomes a goddamn anti-aircraft gun.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A mecha anime i really like started getting subs again so have some real nice animation:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/b36979300eb7424dc737f8439ed82738.mp4

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Droyer posted:

A mecha anime i really like started getting subs again so have some real nice animation:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/b36979300eb7424dc737f8439ed82738.mp4

Whoever built that flying fortress really should have thought about secondary explosions when they designed that thing. One hit to a weapon pod and the whole thing goes up? That's worse than Royal Navy battlecruisers at Jutland.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Whoever built that flying fortress really should have thought about secondary explosions when they designed that thing. One hit to a weapon pod and the whole thing goes up? That's worse than Royal Navy battlecruisers at Jutland.

that was a nuke.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I keep hearing about 'legends of galactic heroes' and it seems like something I might like. Any goons heard of it? Basically a big space opera and war between some space monarchy and a space democracy iirc. Yay or nay?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

frogge posted:

I keep hearing about 'legends of galactic heroes' and it seems like something I might like. Any goons heard of it? Basically a big space opera and war between some space monarchy and a space democracy iirc. Yay or nay?

It's loving brilliant. Absolutely top tier. Can't recommend it highly enough.

It starts slow but stick with it (talking about the original, I haven't seen the remake and I'm not particularly interested)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

frogge posted:

It's pretty long and the episode I saw (probably early) was very slow paced and talky but sometimes I'm in the mood for exactly that! The goons I've encountered who have actually watched it through had very high opinions of it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah to be clear it's basically Politics Except In Space, it's not very 'sci-fi' in its themes, just its trappings.

But it's really, really, really good, and the investment it requires more than pays off

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

frogge posted:

There are two LOGH series now; the old one which is considered a beloved classic and the new one which has had some mixed reception I think. The old one also has a couple prequel series and movies.

Its really good but starts kind of slow. There's a movie that effectively replaces the first couple episodes with a higher budget and better animation quality that I would recommend starting with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The original LOGH had some uneven animation quality in the first... third? of the series as well, too, so depending on the release you find you'll either get occasionally goofy off-model characters (Yang Wenli especially got the worst of it), or you'll get hideously bland replacement animation that I think they did on the cheap because the original elements were lost or otherwise unusable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I tried the LOGH remake series (Neue Thesis?) and bounced off it real hard. The sound design and music was just repugnantly generic, the FPA ship designs had none of the charm of the original, and the voice acting was a real let down. I encourage others to form their own opinions, maybe they'll love it, but it was powerfully disappointing to me as a fan of the original.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

frogge posted:

it is basically devoid of standard anime tropes, and it even avoids a lot of sci-fi tropes. it's something that has a solid feel of "historical epic, but in space". a tale of political upheaval and military intrigue, coups and schemes

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

That's a resounding yay if I ever saw one. I'll have to find a spot to stream the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really liked Legend of Galactic Heroes but the series is unabashedly you taking a college course on a famous historical epic. This is barely a joke, there are multiple parts where a professor in the present discusses historical events that set the stage for the socio-political climate of the show which is also deep in the past to the professor.