Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got to work on this today:

Over 100,000km, all original, no leaks no crash damage (ok the rear guard has had a bump), not a single skull or eagle or live to ride to be seen. Lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but I don't ride or fix dealers, people, t-shirts and culture so I don't see why it's relevant, it seems that literally every time Harleys come up people have to bitch about the culture, to the point of wandering into the Harley appreciation station to bitch about it.

You guys seem to feel bad about living in a fascist state and see the company as cultural symbol of fascism and yeah, goondolences that sucks. But guess what? Bsa and royal enfield are symbols of imperialism the world over, mv agusta was founded by a literal insane bloodsucking aristocrat, Marc Marquez probably wouldn't have a career if Franco hadn't decided he really liked motorbikes, bmw built stuff for the third reich, cagiva was almost certainly owned by the mafia multiple times, it goes on and on. But nobody sprints in to breathlessly tell rev lester his old bmw is a Nazi sled or that sagebrush's Honda did pearl harbor.

If you want to talk about bikes and their relationship to history and culture and the tension been the natural liberating effect of bikes vs the nature of authoritarian regimes, by all means start a thread we'll have a rollicking old time I've got a few good anecdotes. I don't see why, when every other thread is packed with Harley bashing, it also has to happen here.

Agreed. Lets leave the politics and poo poo out of the Harley thread. It's a thread about bikes.

I saw this in person a couple of weeks ago, and it's even more ridiculous in real life: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202011216335273. Why would anyone do this to a poor VROD?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I got to work on this today:

Over 100,000km, all original, no leaks no crash damage (ok the rear guard has had a bump), not a single skull or eagle or live to ride to be seen. Lovely.

Beautiful bike. What work needed to be done on it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snapped drive belt...

...and s&s gear driven cams :getin:

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

I want to post my bike, but I'm going to wait until I get my new signals and headlight installed. Then I'll be done for a while... probably.

I hope.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Slavvy posted:

mv agusta was founded by a literal insane bloodsucking aristocrat

I hate myself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i went looking for a mid 90s sportster as slavvy suggested and well

really living up to that stereotype. a raped ape huh

(you're right, btw, they're literally all 21" front with hacksawed pipes, ffs)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Harley took Bob away to get the heated grips fitted.

They left me a Sportster 883 as a Courtesy Bike.

I do not like it at all.

Cons:
I am cramped on it.
It sounds stupid.
No pillion seat, wtf.
The side stand is impossible to find. It's 'tab' is actually 100% eclipsed by the crank case. Stupid as hell.
No indication of how much fuel is in it, so first ride was to the petrol station and I filled it to the brim (£7 of petrol, wtf Harley, supply your bikes full of petrol).
It doesn't like being in 2nd if doing 20mph or so, it wants to be in 1st.
What the hell is the huge round button just to the right and under the seat?

Pros:
It handles fine, no "getting used to it" required.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

What the hell is the huge round button just to the right and under the seat?

Push it and the dipstick comes out?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I pushed it and it just popped up a bit... Didn't try tugging on it and pushed it back in...

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah that’s the dipstick. Push it to pop it out so you can grip it to unscrew. It seemed overengineered to me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does it have mid controls? I assume it's a newish one? I'm sorry you're not liking it, I enjoyed my '96 1200 (but I don't know if I still would, it was a while ago).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like the iron 883 and yeah they're built to go really slowly and look really cool.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

2020 Sportster 883 Iron.

Yes, it has mid controls.

It's really meh.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HD's dealership finished work on my Bob today. It'll be at least till Monday 14th or Wednesday 16th that they'll have it back to me though via delivery van (and I can't go collect it because lockdown).

According to them when I spoke to them on the phone, they said they have removed all the lateral slop in the throttle, and the forward and backward slop has been vastly reduced. Done under warranty.

They've also bled the brakes and rotated the rear brake lever towards me a bit. Done under warranty.

They also fitted the heated grips and the USBs/GPSs/heated jacket leads, via wiring them directly to the ignition. I'd have been happy with them just using the ring terminals they had originally directly to the battery, but they thought its better to wire to ignition. Fine with me.

I said I'll pay them once they have delivered it and I've inspected it.

£553.04 in total, labour and the grips all in. Ouch.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

According to them when I spoke to them on the phone, they said they have removed all the lateral slop in the throttle, and the forward and backward slop has been vastly reduced. Done under warranty.

Grab a video when you get your bike back, because if they fixed it under warranty that's something I 100% want to do to mine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Grab a video when you get your bike back, because if they fixed it under warranty that's something I 100% want to do to mine.

Will do. If I haven’t posted one by Wednesday evening, remind me please!

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Should I get some black mags or keep the silver spokes?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Obviously you need to get spoke wraps and go crazy with it why are you even asking?!

https://www.amazon.com/Bykas-Spoke-Covers-Single-COLORS/dp/B00DNKLHVA

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Coydog posted:

Obviously you need to get spoke wraps and go crazy with it why are you even asking?!

https://www.amazon.com/Bykas-Spoke-Covers-Single-COLORS/dp/B00DNKLHVA

I honestly considered them, but they look... off?

and I've heard there are issues with rust.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean you can get different kinds or whatever. But my honest answer is the silver spokes tie in a lot of other chrome parts, and the overall style, and you should leave it. Nice bike!

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Coydog posted:

I mean you can get different kinds or whatever. But my honest answer is the silver spokes tie in a lot of other chrome parts, and the overall style, and you should leave it. Nice bike!

Thanks man! I'm definitely on the fence, but there's something to be said for highlighting the small bits of chrome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SirLeigh posted:

Should I get some black mags or keep the silver spokes?

This has the correct amount of chrome.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Slavvy posted:

This has the correct amount of chrome.

So less or more (either direction) is a bad move?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idk it's your bike I'm just some internet guy :shrug: you got the bike for you, do what makes you happy.

I think black spokes usually look naff and I think just the fins, pushrods and hubs being shiny is perfect but I also don't like the seat or the bars or the gaiters. Who gives a poo poo, nice bike for someone else to have, no awful skulls or eagles so it gets a tick from me.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 10, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SirLeigh posted:

So less or more (either direction) is a bad move?

I'd say so. A buddy of mine blacked out absolutely everything on his bike and it looks odd. I hate chrome, but a little bit adds some nice detail. Plus spoked wheels are cool.

But like Slavvy said, we're just disembodied words on the internet, so if you want mag wheels go for it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Started riding in 13 with a 2004 vstar classic which was a great learner bike. But it clearly isnt meant for long distance or for highway, thing screamed going 70 and you could tell she was unhappy. Sold that in 16 after getting an amazing deal on a vstar 1300 that I honestly stole from the guy for 3500. Love the bike hard. Smooth easy to ride and has a ton of power under the seat. Family has always been into yamaha's and a family member has a store so we get massive discounts on everything. Haven't had to do much with her either besides small stuff since I got her. Of course it came with tons of chrome and addons because people have to bling their bikes out. Switched the bags for my old pure leather ones.

The classic came preinstalled with aftermarket pipes. Without baffles, literal straight chrome pipes. Before we did anything with it we tossed a set of stock on it because it was obscene and disgusting sounding. Never can understand how anyone feels that is good thing for your bike.

With the japanese bikes the price differences are just such a big thing compared to triumph HD and Indian especially in the used market. They are great to start on. And I definitely want to try a VMAX. The indian black chief is also a dream bike because god that think looks sexy as hell.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hell yeah man, glad you are enjoying your Vstar.

Indians are Good Bikes (going by the Scout I test rode), so if you decide to get one I think you'll like em.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I went "meh" at the vstar 650 classic. How does the 1300 compare?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Massive increase. Ride is super smooth and uses a belt drive and not a chain. Maybe 50 pounds more then the classic? Honestly doesn't feel that heavier.

Literally 2nd gear doesn't really roar till 45 or so. It glides and easily hits 95 mph, cruises well and doesn't sound like it's dying at all at highways speeds. It's a massive improvement. You can typically get them if you look for pretty cheap and for a decent cruiser they are good. I don't really see more then $6000 around my area for almost pristine and you can easily get under 5k for some with some miles or a garage queen that someone finally gives up.

My dad has a warrior but that's more of a chopper style then a cruiser. That and 1700 cc of anger means it tends to be a little more then you expect.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Steakandchips posted:

Hell yeah man, glad you are enjoying your Vstar.

Indians are Good Bikes (going by the Scout I test rode), so if you decide to get one I think you'll like em.

I'm not a cruiser person, but I think the Scouts are pretty, too, for whatever that's worth.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

They have fixed it under warranty: all lateral throttle slop has been eliminated, and forward and backward has been reduced to negligible.

Please see this video for details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WSCZZhDAUw

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 17, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is what a Harley that handles looks like. Ohlins front and rear, super tall in the back, raked out in the front with a steering damper. It also has some modest engine stuff done and, remarkably, a 7 speed trans.

The tyres were worn right off the edge, there is no chicken strips and it's...rather slidy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

a 7 speed trans.

How and/or why is this a thing? I'm baffled

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do not know the real answer but the general use for a lot of gears is to keep a bike with a narrow powerband in the powerband

Maybe this bike only revs to like 4 grand?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do not know the real answer but the general use for a lot of gears is to keep a bike with a narrow powerband in the powerband

Maybe this bike only revs to like 4 grand?

Yeah it's this. The baker trans can be configured with both 6th and 7th being OD, which would probably be helpful if you're touring on a big bagger or something. But in general 7th is OD, 6th is 1:1 and the rest are squeezed together to get more acceleration out of the engine without making it rev higher, which tends to be really expensive and explody.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The general engineering/performance reason for adding gears makes sense, I was just shocked to learn that A) there would be a market for such an undoubtedly costly upgrade [$3500+ it looks like?] and B) that said market would be Harley owners.

I suppose I'd expect that sort of thing aimed at track bikes or drag bikes instead of cruisers, but the former are already super close-ratio and the latter, well I don't know jack poo poo about drag racing but six gears is probably enough for a quarter mile?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More gears is always better if you're drag racing, the box is predominantly aimed at drag racing but it also helps if you have a very cammed engine; gaining lots of top end power saps grunt down low, when you have a heavy bike a shorter first gear without losing high speed performance is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the wildest transmissions ever in a bike has to be the 50cc Grand Prix bikes of the 60’s. They had to make the most of 50cc in a race environment

The Suzuki RP68 50cc GP bike for instance used a 50cc V-Triple engine with two cylinders in the front, one up top, and a 14 speed transmission :psypop:

19hp out of three individual 16.6cc cylinders

Unfortunately it never raced, the year that it was complete, the FIM changed the GP rules for 50cc to be single cylinder and 6 gears only

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 17, 2020