Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

The 20F Yeti UQ is nice, but I want it to be even warmer. I've been thinking about a sock thing to act as a windbreaker.

Yeah I want to get a full size 0F UQ eventually. I'd use it on my winter trips and my wife, who sleeps cold, could use it for our 3 season trips. But havent seen a great deal on one yet.

I will say while I like my Arrowhead Equipment partial length quilts I sometimes struggle getting them to stay in place. The quilt always seems to shift off my shoulder when I lay diagonal. Anyone ever had any luck with using those quilt hooks that go on your ridgeline to help with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, pulled the trigger and placed an order with Dream Hammock today. Ended up being pretty pricey with all the options but gently caress it, I've been hammocking for a long time now so I think it's a worthwhile investment. Got an 11' Sparrow, custom 62" width with net and overcover. Chatted a lot with Randy there before placing the order and it seems like this will tick all the boxes for me. Now I just have to wait a couple of months...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Nice!

What extra options did you go with and what type of fabric? Every once in a while I think about getting a new lighter hammock but I really love my Warbonnet XLC and it's shelf and everything else.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nice!

What extra options did you go with and what type of fabric? Every once in a while I think about getting a new lighter hammock but I really love my Warbonnet XLC and it's shelf and everything else.

I was torn a bit between light weight and durability and ended up going with the 1.6 HyperD fabric. It's an 11' hammock, 62" wide (I dig wider than normal), UQ/TQ hooks, net and overcover (in 1.2 fabric, one large vent).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone here have any Loco Libre UQs? Thinking of buying a 0 degree quilt from them and am interested to see what others think about them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One hell of a deal if anyone wanted to get a Warbonnet hammock setup on the cheap:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/comments/lpxxmv/wts_warbonnet_blackbird_hammock_with_all_the/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Just ordered a new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as my birthday present to myself. I’ll keep my ENOs as lounging hammocks, and continue to use the tarps and quilts that I currently have until the siren song of upgrading starts calling my name.

Bless these heavenly contraptions that feel like sleeping on a cloud!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Just ordered a new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as my birthday present to myself.

Thats a great hammock you'll love it! Did you go single layer or double and what fabric? I bought a double layer lightweight used a few years ago and its been holding up great.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Single layer. I’ve never put a pad in my hammock so I don’t think double layer would have been useful for me. Now I’m starting to scout out UL underquilts for when the time comes to upgrade that- I have a bikepacking trip coming up in April and I learned from my October trip that wearing all of your layers to bed is not a viable substitute for having insulation underneath you.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Still waiting for the Dream Hammock I ordered back in November(!). They did send it on time (six weeks out) but first it disappeared in the USPS system for over a month and now it's sitting in customs in Sweden since a few weeks back. Hoping to get it within a couple of weeks... custom Sparrow model that I am much looking forward to! Got a new underquilt (Bushmen -2, down) as well.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Single layer. I’ve never put a pad in my hammock so I don’t think double layer would have been useful for me. Now I’m starting to scout out UL underquilts for when the time comes to upgrade that- I have a bikepacking trip coming up in April and I learned from my October trip that wearing all of your layers to bed is not a viable substitute for having insulation underneath you.

If you're looking towards a cottage vendor for a UL underquilt order now! Even then its probably to late to get one for your April trip. ArrowHeadEquipment can ship out their Apex synthetic quilts pretty quickly, they're the only one I can think of without huge lead times right now.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Still waiting for the Dream Hammock I ordered back in November(!). They did send it on time (six weeks out) but first it disappeared in the USPS system for over a month and now it's sitting in customs in Sweden since a few weeks back. Hoping to get it within a couple of weeks... custom Sparrow model that I am much looking forward to! Got a new underquilt (Bushmen -2, down) as well.

Nice! My buddy has a Darien that I've really liked laying in.

I just ordered an Autumn Ultralight as my 2nd ever hammock, its an asym which I've always wanted to try.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well, after a year of having my head buried in a computer for grad school, my annual camping trip is finally rolling back around soon and with that comes the irresistible urge to fiddle and/or upgrade. I snaked up one of those continuous ridgelines and some of the tarp tie-outs from dutchware. Pretty stoked on those because up until now I've tried out a bunch of different solutions (even sometimes relying on my own questionable knot-tying ability!) and even though they worked I've never been 100% happy with them. I honestly think I might try and switch out my suspension, too, although I'm not sure which direction I want to go with that, I just know I'm tired of the big loop straps and carabiners. But honestly I'm also kind of just eyeballing a totally new hammock haha. To those of you who own blackbirds, how impossible is it to fit generic UQs on them?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, after a year of having my head buried in a computer for grad school, my annual camping trip is finally rolling back around soon and with that comes the irresistible urge to fiddle and/or upgrade. I snaked up one of those continuous ridgelines and some of the tarp tie-outs from dutchware. Pretty stoked on those because up until now I've tried out a bunch of different solutions (even sometimes relying on my own questionable knot-tying ability!) and even though they worked I've never been 100% happy with them. I honestly think I might try and switch out my suspension, too, although I'm not sure which direction I want to go with that, I just know I'm tired of the big loop straps and carabiners. But honestly I'm also kind of just eyeballing a totally new hammock haha. To those of you who own blackbirds, how impossible is it to fit generic UQs on them?

For suspensions I like my current setup a lot. Just a simple set of 6 foot tree straps, that I marlin spike hitch to my whoopies. Lets me adjust easily, and keep the straps separate from my hammock if they get all sappy. Took a bit of getting used to but works really well. And if I ever lose my toggle I can just use a beckett hitch real easy too.

I have a blackbird and have had zero issue with using Arrowhead 3/4 UQs or HammockGear UQs on it. They both work just fine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For suspensions I like my current setup a lot. Just a simple set of 6 foot tree straps, that I marlin spike hitch to my whoopies. Lets me adjust easily, and keep the straps separate from my hammock if they get all sappy. Took a bit of getting used to but works really well. And if I ever lose my toggle I can just use a beckett hitch real easy too.

I have a blackbird and have had zero issue with using Arrowhead 3/4 UQs or HammockGear UQs on it. They both work just fine.

Awesome, that's good to know. I have some kind of ENO underquilt I picked up on steep discount that actually works pretty well with my hennessy, but I know it can get tricky once you get into hammocks with weird shaped tie-outs so I always like to ask before I commit to a new hammock and UQ.

I did end up pulling the trigger on some new suspension, gonna just do a total conversion on my hammock that I think will work a lot better than the "tie a loop for carabiners into the current suspension" setup I've been using. Got some CLs and a set of the beetle buckles and straps, but I think I'm gonna bounce back and forth between using the actual hardware and trying something like a Becket until I decide what I like. Pretty much anything is going to be an upgrade over the loops, and once I have this thing fully dialed in I can give it to my wife and get a blackbird lmao.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Anyone care to recommend a hammock stand that can handle an 11’ gathered end hammock (Dutchware)? I’d like to sleep in mine more regularly when I’m home, but don’t want to put in permanent wall mounts. Most of the less expensive ones on amazon seem to be too short, and I don’t want to build one of the insane contraptions posted on Ultimate Hang.

Also, if you can operate a sewing machine you can get the materials to make a great underquilt from ripstop by the roll. I made one good to ~40F without much hassle or expense.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just went through a long process researching different stands I could use outside, though for me I had one big tree and just needed something to tie off to on the other end.

Tensa outdoor seems to make the most recommended stands out there but they are also quite expensive. For me I ended up buying a single Tensa Solo, which cost $130 with shipping. That was going to be close to the total price for me buying a 6x6 cedar post and sinking in my yard so I ended up going with the Solo.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Oh, I have plenty of trees. I need something to put inside. Less camping and more bed replacement. Or supplement I guess. Should have been more specific.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Post pictures of your last hangs.

I took a buddy for a gravel grind ride up the C&O canal path and surprised him with a fun singletrack sojourn that ended with me pulling out a couple of hammocks and some beers for a quick hang overlooking the Potomac River.

Now that it’s getting warmer, my wife and I are bringing back our Hammock Happy Hour, where we go to a nearby park, hang up a couple of hammocks with the ENO fuse system, and have a drink or two while watching the sunset together. We’re gonna try for sunrise hangs where I’ll bring out some ground coffee and my AeroPress so we can enjoy some coffee in our hammocks.

I have a S24O tomorrow where I’ll be bringing my new Blackbird XLC out to act as a trial run for a bikepacking trip in a few weeks. While I have a Wooki UQ on order with Warbonnet, I’ll likely be wrapping myself in a sleeping bag in my hammock and seeing how well that works. Anything will be better than thinking that wearing all my layers to sleep and hoping my top quilt will keep me warm.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Nothing too exciting for me the past week.

Testing out my new Warbonnet Minifly tarp and my Autumn Ultralight loop/toggle things.

Im expecting a Autumn Ultralight Juniper hammock in the next month or two that will be my first symmetrical hammock and shave about 8 ounces off of my current Warbonnet XLC. Not that I dont love the XLC its a great hammock, very comfortable, just wanted to give a symmetric a try.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I was recently gifted this suspension system: https://www.grandtrunk.com/collections/hammock-straps/products/tree-slings-hanging-kit

It's essentially a rope suspension with a webbing sleeve to "protect" the trees. But is that actually true? Do you think this is enough to protect trees from damage? I don't actually know that much about this, I just know that everyone recommends webbing instead of rope for suspension. I'm perfectly willing to get a proper webbing daisy chain, but now I'm curious: why is it that webbing is so heavily preferred (and legislated)? What about a rope causes damage vs webbing?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I was recently gifted this suspension system: https://www.grandtrunk.com/collections/hammock-straps/products/tree-slings-hanging-kit

It's essentially a rope suspension with a webbing sleeve to "protect" the trees. But is that actually true? Do you think this is enough to protect trees from damage? I don't actually know that much about this, I just know that everyone recommends webbing instead of rope for suspension. I'm perfectly willing to get a proper webbing daisy chain, but now I'm curious: why is it that webbing is so heavily preferred (and legislated)? What about a rope causes damage vs webbing?

Just think about the area covered by a rope vs area covered by even a 1.5" or so strap. There's a big difference. Webbing will spread the load while a rope will dig into the bark, damaging the tree.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Combining the two best things for a leisurely afternoon hang right here.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

You should be fine, the webbing sleeve is going to spread out the load enough that you shouldn't harm the tree. The webbing vs rope thing is basically all about spreading the load like Clayton said. As long as the part that's touching the tree is pretty wide and flat, whatever's coming off of it doesn't matter too much.

Post pictures of your last hangs.

My last hang was A) extremely silly, B) probably unsafe, C) not recommended by the strap or hammock manufacturers, and D) fun and cool:

We have two good trees in our back yard, the only problem is they're ~40 feet apart. I have plans to sink some posts this summer to make a chill little hammock zone but in the meantime I managed to frankenstein a bunch of straps together a while ago so I can hang on the weekends. I picked up one of those ENO spreader bars on a recommendation from this thread and doubled the sketchiness by adding my wife's hammock (it's empty in that second picture which is why it seems so high up) and while I have to strongly recommend that you don't try this weird horrible setup at home, I have to say it works pretty well all things considered lmao.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like you have at least one good tree there. Check out the Tensa Solo if you're looking for something less permanent. I got one to use with the oak tree in my backyard and after a bit of fiddling have been happy with it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Both trees are solid and sturdy, they're just too far apart. But honestly the dream is to be able to hang three or four hammocks around a central point for when people come over so I just need to get off my butt and stop procrastinating about trying to turn the back yard into somewhere I want to hang out lol. The weather was just too good to pass up this weekend.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

That's a good boy.

Was planning on breaking in my Dream Hammock this coming week but my brother just had to go get infected with The Virus so we had to call off the trip. Soon though!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This guy is posting a good deal on a spreader bar hammock if people were looking for one:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/comments/nk5ute/wts_ridgerunner_huge_silpoly_hex_tarp_and_whoopie/

I'm waiting on so much hammock gear to come in the next few weeks. I've got a custom Loco Libre Habanero 0F UQ that I ordered last winter, an Arrowhead Equipment summer 40F quilt that I hope comes in time for my trip this weekend, and an new gathered end Autumn Ultralight hammock that I am really anxious to try.

Covid is making all things outdoors too popular and making for long lead times! drat you Covid!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Warbonnet is having a Memorial day sale - I have been mulling which if the 'big boy' hammocks to pick up, past my ENO, and decided to go with a Blackbird, for me, and a Blackbird XL for the Mister, who is about 6'2. Sale saved me 90$. Backordered, but the next camp site I know we're going to is an open field anyhow, so not a big deal. Memorialday20 is the code if anyone is looking!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just bought a minifly to supplement my superfly two weeks ago. The blackbird is an excellent hammock. What suspension did you choose?

Also look into tarp spreader mods if you're not packing light. I had a chance to check out the interior of one and it was amazingly spacious

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You'll love the Minifly. Its my go to tarp for anything but winter camping now. I got their regular camo pattern version and I love how it blends into the trees at sites.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Trying real hard to ignore that Warbonnet sale. The siren song of a new tarp, underquilt or whatever is super strong and they’ve taken enough of my money lately.

Real talk: I have had an issue with my Blackbirds XLC. Notice I used the plural here because I have two- I bought one back in March and when I took it out for my first overnight in it, I heard a pop as I was settling in for the night and saw that four teeth were missing off the bottom part of the zipper where it connects to my hammock. I contacted their customer service- who are super quick and responsive- and they said it was unlikeLy to be a manufacturing defect, so I sent it in for service which cost me $10 to fix plus S&H. In the meantime, I had a bikepacking trip and didn’t have a viable sleep system, so I ended up ordering another XLC and used that for the trip without issue. I figured I could sell it later, loan it to a friend, whatever. The trip went fine with no issues with the zipper, and figured it was a one-time fluke. Got XLC #1 back a few days after I got back from the ride.

Then last weekend I had another camping trip and took out XLC #2 since I had treated that one with permethrin. First night, I’m settling in again and I hear the pop and the zipper separates again, with four zipper teeth missing from the exact same spot. So now I’ve run into the same issue with two different hammocks. I’m just under 6’ and 180 lbs so I know I’m not pushing up on weight issues, the hammock was hung with webbing and buckle suspension at a 30 degree angle, and the ridgeline wasn’t super taut in either circumstance. So clearly I’m loving something up here- any ideas what? I love the XLC and have never slept better in them but I would prefer not to have to keep paying the dumbass tax here.

Picture here: https://imgur.com/a/zCC0ShZ

I also don’t want to deter anyone from ordering from Warbonnet, their poo poo is super nice and I have absolutely loved everything I have from them (the aforementioned hammocks, Wooki underquilt and MiniFly tarp.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I had been eyeing the Blackbird for months and finally pulled the trigger on one. First hang today, and it's been a learning experience. Like "put those tree straps higher" because I ended up like 3 inches off the ground. Still, excited to find a time to take it out camping!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So clearly I’m loving something up here- any ideas what? I love the XLC and have never slept better in them but I would prefer not to have to keep paying the dumbass tax here.

Picture here: https://imgur.com/a/zCC0ShZ

I also don’t want to deter anyone from ordering from Warbonnet, their poo poo is super nice and I have absolutely loved everything I have from them (the aforementioned hammocks, Wooki underquilt and MiniFly tarp.)

Wow, that is interesting. Where at on the hammock are you seeing that zipper break out of curiosity? I have an XLC and a Blackbird, both bought used, and the wife and I have used them plenty and never seen that issue.

taiyoko posted:

So I had been eyeing the Blackbird for months and finally pulled the trigger on one. First hang today, and it's been a learning experience. Like "put those tree straps higher" because I ended up like 3 inches off the ground. Still, excited to find a time to take it out camping!

Yeah it takes a while and a bit of practice to get the hang of setup. I hammock camp whenever I can now and it still takes me longer to setup my hammock, tarps, quilts, etc than it ever did a tent. Stick with it, keep making adjustments and you'll get it.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I went for the polyester webbing with buckles and carabineers. Mostly I am out in parks with a car toting a back up tent, but I am building toward doing through camping on the Ice age trail here in WI. I am new promoted at work, and my underling (which used to be me) has so much to learn I feel seriously guilty if I am gone more than 2 days in a row. She'll get there, but taking a week off... Due to not using poo poo for vacation last year, and Covid roll overs, I have about 4 weeks yet left. Mid September Boundary waters will be my first big camping thing for a full week. Hopefully by then she can fly on her own...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive gone from straps to whoopie slings to beckett hitch and back to straps.

I still cant decide between the beckett hitch off of my end loop or the straps with beetle buckles. I seem to alternate setups every other trip now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
gently caress. That's $350 I didn't intend to spend today.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wow, that is interesting. Where at on the hammock are you seeing that zipper break out of curiosity? I have an XLC and a Blackbird, both bought used, and the wife and I have used them plenty and never seen that issue.

IIRC it’s along the right side of the hammock, well before the area where both zippers meet. I’ll pull it out and take some other pics at some point in the next day or two.

quote:

Yeah it takes a while and a bit of practice to get the hang of setup. I hammock camp whenever I can now and it still takes me longer to setup my hammock, tarps, quilts, etc than it ever did a tent. Stick with it, keep making adjustments and you'll get it.

There’s such a learning curve with hammock camping. I think a lot of people think it’s as simple as hanging one up between two trees, and for lounging purposes they’d be right. It wasn’t until I doing it myself started that I realized there’s a lot more that goes into it, and getting into Shug’s videos has taught me there’s a lot more I need to learn. This is prompting me to learn how to tie better knots, though. But man, when it all comes together, hammock camping is such a sublime experience, whether you’re gazing at the Milky Way through the trees or hearing the rain patter against your tarp.

Arkhamina posted:

I went for the polyester webbing with buckles and carabineers. Mostly I am out in parks with a car toting a back up tent, but I am building toward doing through camping on the Ice age trail here in WI. I am new promoted at work, and my underling (which used to be me) has so much to learn I feel seriously guilty if I am gone more than 2 days in a row. She'll get there, but taking a week off... Due to not using poo poo for vacation last year, and Covid roll overs, I have about 4 weeks yet left. Mid September Boundary waters will be my first big camping thing for a full week. Hopefully by then she can fly on her own...

Boundary Waters look amazing. I’m personally hoping to go backpacking in Monongahela National Forest in WV this summer, there’s some bikepacking I’d like to do, and hopefully a few other opportunities to sleep like a cloud this summer.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I feel I've got a bunch to learn now.

Got a tarp, had a top quilt, now a decent hammock and an underquilt.

Time to learn me some knots. I picked the first suspension they offered as they claim it's easy enough to learn. Polyester webbing with buckles.

I had a test run with a hennesy asym a month ago, but didn't know how to do the knots so my friends helped out. Lookin' forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

X-posting this from the camping-gear-thread:

Any recs for a hammock for a taller person? I'm 6'7". Most info I've found online says get a Warbonnet or a Hennesy but those are a ways outside my budget. From what I can tell tall people sleep better in a longer hammock (11'+)

So far I have my eye on a Kammok Roo double XL or a Ticket to the Moon King Size.