Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

OctoberCountry posted:

USA's gonna get cancelled by Comcast before Raw does

This is an interesting idea. As bad as Raw’s ratings are, they are carrying USA. I wouldn’t be shocked if they flipped it to a sports network someday if Comcast managed to successfully bid for Pac12 college football rights or something.

Although then again USA network used to have sports in prime time two or three nights a week, they would just have to pivot back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

jesus WEP posted:

I explained Dexter Lumis the serial killer and mute tortured artist to my girlfriend last night and she actually cried with laughter when I showed her one of his drawings

It really is one of the funniest things happening right now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They're going to do it at least next week since it's pretaped, unless Vince decided between the tapings he didn't like it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I laughed out loud at shootfighter Dolph Ziggler, it's the most I've ever been entertained by him.

MassRafTer posted:

Shane McMahon is some kind of demogod.

What has he become now that he's portrayed the Underground Raw that has ratings moving the right way?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

explosivo posted:

Wait is this real? I can't believe this is real.

It's real. Real good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I will also sign off on "fine."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Blaise330 posted:

Correction, Janetti says this is only the FIRST time he killed a man and got away with it.

I can't think of anyone who's admitted more serious crimes in public venues and seems to still be floating around in public undeterred.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

3 million viewers for Big Show vs Babatunde on #RawUnderground.

Remember when Big Show did like one MMA move in ECW? Whatif he did . . . two . . . I'm excited.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The general thought from Meltzer before the McAfee thing started was they were planning on turning Cole and his friends anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I was thinking about how NXT is going to run unopposed for a few weeks and I’m realizing it’s going to be bad for them either way.

If their numbers don’t go up significantly without wrestling competition, that looks really bad for NXT and HHH’s abilities to run a show.

If the numbers do go up, that reveals to USA the numbers they COULD be getting on the regular if they just moved NXT to another night.

I won't say that the WWE doesn't believe this to be the case but if they are realistic about the numbers, there seems to be a 700K base for each show that doesn't watch the other show, and only around ~200 that move and often they move to shows other than wrestling.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Easily the best thing WWE has done since Raw Underground.

lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So, who's Pat McAfee, and why is he getting a match?

According to a Google search, he was a "punter." Aren't punters the guys who kick and little else?

I had this in a tab and forgot about it but anyway McAfee is a guy who you would be pretty familiar with if you watched some football every every week for while, he was the type of guy who would go on radio shows, and announcers would reference a lot and they would put a mic on the sidelines even though he was just a punter. But he is not someone who has mainstream recognition like Gronk does.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I live in a country where American football would aspire to be a niche sport. This Gronk guy doesn't have mainstream recognition either. Is he the dancey dickhead from CovidMania this year?

Yeah, Gronk has a 22 Q score, that's mainstream popular.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pylons posted:

International audiences are pretty irrelevant until they figure out how to properly monetize them.

This is the ultimate issue. The international money is a nice bonus for the WWE for sure, but it's not like the film industry where they arguably don't need the US anymore. The WWE still very much needs to appeal to a US audience to survive.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There is definitely a problem with casual fans and long term stories. But there aren't any casual fans left. If you're still watching wrestling you're in deep.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

yea ok posted:

was it a good punt

Screen went black due to presumably Retribution shenanigans, they wouldn't even risk the foot tap that he gave Christian which is probably for the best.

It was the most gentle onscreen murder ever really. Even after the low blow Randy catches Flair and lovingly lays him on the ground. Also probably for the best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Seems like both a pointless expense and risk but what do I know.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Intruder posted:

Would've been better than a giant toy spider

Debatable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ad by Khad posted:

Abyss has been a writer for them for a while now

AJ already had flunkies, who could work! Abyss is almost as broken down as Mick Foley, for a lot of the same reasons

Abyss loves to kill himself for 1.1 ratings, he's just waiting for the right time to start diving into thumbtacks in hour 3 of Raw.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: Oops, wrong forum slash wrong thread.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 17, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I looked it up and here's a complete list of everyone listed on the Raw & Smackdown talent pages on WWE.com who haven't been on TV in at least a month:

Missing in Action
Austin Theory - Last seen on Main Event June 17
Bo Dallas - Last seen at a house show in November 2019
Carmella - Last seen at Money in the Bank, May 10
Daniel Bryan - Last seen on Smackdown, May 26
Jey Uso - Last seen on Smackdown hosting karaoke, July 10
Jinder Mahal - Last seen on Main Event May 22
Mojo Rawley - Last seen on Smackdown, June 15
Robert Roode - Last seen at Elimination Chamber, March 8
Roman Reigns - Last seen at a house show on March 1
Sami Zayn - Last seen at Wrestlemania, March 25
All Three Forgotten Sons - Last seen at Money in the Bank, May 10

Pregnant
Becky Lynch

Injured
Authors of Pain (just Rezar, but neither have been seen since March)
Elias
Ember Moon
Jason Jordan
Jimmy Uso
Kofi Kingston
Lars Sullivan
Xavier Woods

Not Actually On the Roster
Big Show, Brock Lesnar, Kane, Paige

Of the MIA people, we know Sami and Roman are sitting things out. Daniel Bryan appears to be doing so as well (though maybe because Brie was having a baby they didn't completely memory-hole him, and he appeared via Zoom a couple of times I know of).

As for the rest, a lot of them fall into the "creative has nothing for you" hole, though Jinder and Roode are both Canadian so maybe there are some travel restrictions in play. Austin Theory might be a case of sex crime accusations or just Vince getting bored. Forgotten Sons feels like it might be "weird racist Trump tweets" and/or Vince getting bored.

Unless someone on the injured list is cleared for action but refusing to come back, my guess is the list of "deliberately sitting out" people is basically just Roman, Sami, maybe Bryan and I suppose in an outside chance Carmella?

NXT is a whole other issue, since a ton of UK/European people aren't able to get into the country.

If I remember correctly , Jinder got injured again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Pretty bad show with a good Bayley/Sasha/Auska/Shayna segment and like a good 2 minute Cedric/Towzawa match in it. Also the woman in the Garza/Force Sensitive Viking love triangle is the best actor in the WWE on nights that HBK isn’t there.

E: honestly all irony aside Raw Underground is a welcome break from the rest of the show. Like okay these people are gonna have a bad worked fight for 30 seconds. It’s simple.

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 18, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The oddest thing was Apollo needing Shelton to slip on a banana to get the win. Are they really protecting Shelton in 2020? I am a big Shelton Benjamin fan (STILL ain’t no stoppin’ me now) and even I think the US champ should probably be able to beat him clean at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cavauro posted:

if i am in the audience i will be wearing this hat based on the television show 'Martin'

I’d wear this.

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's going to be really hard to judge anything ratings-wise, due to AEW not being on, but having NBA in its place. Like, if it does really well, it could be because there was no other direct wrestling competition; if it does really poorly, it could be because a large portion of NXT's audience are also basketball fans.

Most years I cancel any wrestling related sub during the NBA playoffs because I don’t usually watch wrestling at all with NBA playoffs and usually I will at least look in on hockey playoffs here and there.

Everything being on in early East Coast time this year opens up my evenings this year though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I get what you're saying. I just think Shida could have been that compete package if crowds were still a thing partly because she's a workhorse. Angry Shida is an exciting thing and we're missing a lot of energy in those moments right now. In an alternate universe people talking poo poo and Shida coming out with some fearsome knees is getting reactions.

I do agree though that Nyla could have carried this situation better.

I think the difference is, when Shida gives developing wrestlers any offense at all it brings her aura down, while just the nature of Riho’s character and her size makes her work against anyone.

But I dunno I prefer Shida overall but that is just because that type of wrestler is more of what I am into.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Johnny, Ibushi and Naito three way, who would survive? Good/scary match. The fact that the really scary spot happened in a commercial picture in picture was nuts although they did at least bother to replay it on the return.

Dakota Kai vs Jessi Kamea was a good match. Tegan is a geek who my first inclination is to boo the heck out of her because her character is so gullible but it ultimately is impossible to not find her endearing. I thought the Adam Cole/McAfee angle was good. Smol HBK as "only face because the other guy is such a huge dick" is working for me and at least on the mic McAfee is good. The show could have ended at that point honestly. The second half feels very much like just a normal WWE show and one with the third string writers on it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't like the Full Sail crowd but I think they do help get a lot of stuff over on NXT that wouldn't and doesn't get over with the normal crowd. It is funny to imagine them swallowing Face Dexter.

Aphrodite posted:

It's pre-taped too so they chose to put it in PIP.

Which feels like the most WWE thing possible these days.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I enjoyed nothing on NXT except the women's tag, I think Shotzi is great and Rhea's powerbomb to the outside was brutal if not a tad hokey. NXT's presentation has been lovely for well over a year, i'm sick of the performance center even with crowds.

It was a decent match, Shotzi gets better every week and her and Rhea are a really good team. I just dislike the Robert Stone Brand angle so much that I really need to fight my inclination to just fast forward past it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I don't know why people think there will be a 5 second delay. I can stream video to clients out of Adobe Premiere and have it be within 2 frames

The NBA doesn't delay because they can't do it real time they do it for S&P reasons. They already are delaying the live broadcast 3-4 minutes at this point for that reason (it was 7 seconds for y ears and then 14 seconds and then a minute, all eventually resulted in curses getting out to live TV).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I honestly believe the next generation of indy talent coming up is looking up to more of Japan/Lucha/PWG style and booking and probably won't be hoodwinked by WWE style marketing.

I've definitely seen some interviews with younger wrestlers where they say their dream is to get booked in Japan.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Not sure what you don't understand.

The tag team champs were arguing with each other about which one of them would face their shared PPV opponent first for the two separate singles titles they have.
Then a midcard wrestler came out to challenge them each to a fight, tonight.
Then an announcer suggested the champs could have a competition to see which one of them could beat the midcard wrestler faster. The midcard wrestler was very enthusiastic about this.
One champ beat the midcard wrestler easily.
Then the second champ came out and attacked the midcard wrestler — who just went through one fight — before the bell. The second champ proceeded to get pinned clean by the midcard wrestler in less than two minutes.

It's classic storytelling

I thought they already decided on Monday who was going first..?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am definitely not happy about Keith Lee’s loss. But I was also pretty sure Lee was going to lose tonight so I had hardened myself to it a bit because they clearly really like Kross and that gimmick is pretty much done the second he gets pinned; it should have been at least a few months before he got to Lee. Match itself was okay, kind of like they at least tried to apply some modern stuff to like an early 90s Hogan match. Except then the Hogan lost which sort of goes against the point of that match. Keith Lee is too good to actually be hurt by this and I am sure worse poo poo is to come if he hits the main roster, but still he deserved a better reign.

Rest of the show was pretty good. Balor vs Thatcher would have died a hard death in front of any real crowd but I dig the heavy grapple match and this paid crowd that is popping for chain grapples in 2020 was a nice look into a world where people like that stuff. Ladder match had some absolutely pointless but cool spots. McAffe vs Cole was really basic but it is still impressive for dude’s first match on TV.

Io vs Dakota was my favorite thing on the show. I don’t know how Dakota is ever going to win a match from a storyline perspective because her finisher by design always drops people right next to the ropes, but she is really good. I am not ready for Io to be done though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Sugar Blaster posted:

So did The Group Known As Retribution, notorious for disrupting WWE programming, simply not think to disrupt WWE's second most important program of the year?

It depends if Roman is their leader or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I agree with Lindsay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pylons posted:

Were there just no outside venues available for them? They spent all this money and it looks worse than Daily's Place by far.

Most of Florida's stuff is occupied at the moment between college sports and various bubbles, but also maybe outdoor venues aren't going to seem so great in a week when hurricane season gets into full swing.

I just think the design is bad, it's not the venue's fault; the canvas is not responsible for the bad artist.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I honestly prefer the completely empty set up of Wrestlemania to anything that came after it.

Yeah none of this does anything for me at all. I was fine with no fans at all, the only thing I wanted was to stop hearing the ref's mindless chatter.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 24, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
E: doublepost, sorry

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ICR posted:

Just paid $500 to have my zoom spot be left of center number 320 just look for me thanks guys.

It comes with some cool things. I get to:

-Join Ricochet for a wrestling ring breakdown and learn about paying your dues as a wrestler. Ricochet gets to explain that to me while he breaks down the ring and I watch over Zoom. Clapping and booing is optional here.

- Live Q&A over Twitter with Ryan Satin. I get to ask him 5 questions that are already given to me from WWE personnel. I get to copy and paste and send them. Mr. Satin will respond to them when they’re sent, instant response.

- Man the drone over the Lacey Evans vs. Bayley match. This match doesn’t actually start, but it has been announced. They said the plan is Bayley comes out after Lacey comes to the ring and then Bayley just kinda stares at her. Then Lacey charges out of the ring and chases her to the back. I get to fly the drone around. For fun.

- Lastly, I get a signed poster, 5x7 is the size they told me, of Keith Lee’s debut tonight. I won’t spoil anything but they said it involves him doing a tug of war segment with 2 former Hall of Famers who will be on the show. One of them is named Ric Flair. They coined it, “The memorable, historical first debut of young up and comer Keith Lee.”

Sorry for spoilers. They told me to wear my Stone Cold t-shirt, red boxer briefs and my Undertaker hat. Specifically. Look for me on the television set.

Lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Connect the Thunderdome with low bit rate or cable with a lot of compression and drat everything looks washed out really quickly. Like this is never in more than 1/4 of the screen during an NBA game other than the two or three times a game they decide to do an audience shot (and these have been increasingly decreasing as the bubble has gone on). So you are still able to have a high quality picture and have low quality garbage in the back without it ruining everything. WWE has garbage everywhere (I will leave you the easy jokes) so it makes it unsalvageable.

Anyway yeah all that stuff they changed with Keith Lee sucks, but at least the match did a good job of showing him off, commentary was putting him over strong and Randy was really bumping for him which was cool and not something I normally associate with Orton.

Better show than last week I guess but faint praise. I don't like lumberjack matches but Auska and Sasha had a decent one, and I am really digging Apollo Cruise and him being the only face that is allowed to succeed helps a lot although the booking makes it look like he's losing the title this weekend.

Raw Geek of the Week was Cedric, beating out strong competition from Dolph, Ivar and Owens, but Cedric managed to look bad three different times on the show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

In absolutely no relevance to anyone but myself, Lana wore a dress on RAW bought from the company my fiancé does the marketing for. She is also a wrestling fan so is absolutely pushing this publicity as much as she can on social media. Previously I believe one of the Bellas and Natalya have worn similar dresses on WWE programming. Amusingly, the higher ups have absolutely no idea who any of these people are, and had to be shown the Instagram followers for these wrestlers for them to realise it’s a big deal.

I think that's cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
On NXT at one point he did a promo about how much people wanted to change him in WWE, and that he went along with it because in the end he managed to slowly get them on board with his ideas.

I hope it works out here because he's one of my faves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

I’ve got a bridge to sell you. It’s right over here in Detroit, stone cold will be by shortly

"I hope something happens" is not the same as "I think something will happen."