Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ThinkTank posted:

I mean he won two championships with that team. I'm not sure what more you can expect from him.

Coulda gone with the same core slightly tweaked, rather than self-immolate via trades for Reaves and signings for Jack Johnsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Coulda gone with the same core slightly tweaked, rather than self-immolate via trades for Reaves and signings for Jack Johnsons.

Two cups was a better run than I would have ever expected anyways when he took over so ah well.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I only hope it gets weirder 'cause at this point whatever.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
While I would like to think Rutherford has gone completely around the bend, I have this nagging sensation he's working some occult ritual to trade Johnson for McDavid, with Edmonton retaining salary or something equally monstrous.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hornqvist is rad and I think he'll easily keep having 20 goal (paced) seasons on a team that builds the powerplay around him/cycling the puck rather than rushing.
Sure he's not much of a skater and he takes a beating but he's also stupidly fit so I think he'll play the contract out and a be a powerplay boon for the Panthers all the while and as much as I ragged on him for not being able to keep up with Crosby/Malkin anymore this is not the sort of return I'd wanted for him at all

I'd have rather seen cap space sitting empty

He's one of those skilled, but pesky, pain in the rear end players you can easily find a way to hate unless he's playing for your team, at which point he's awesome. The best comparison I can think of is Scott Hartnell. I had someone else in mind, but whoever it was slipped my mind.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hornqvist was one of my favorite Pens from the two cup runs. Just an absolute battler out there. Gave you everything he had. Really just the definition of a guy you'd want on a cup contender. Talented enough to contribute and he'd run through a wall for you.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1309514950688346112

:rip:

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Come home, Bobby

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bobby is a good dude, he’ll find a spot for close to league minimum as a veteran like Spezza on a young team

Not too sure why they’re buying him out unless they are finally going to use some of their cap space to take on some contracts and picks, which doesn’t sound like Euge. $18mil under the cap floor lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

did you know bobby ryan is a C H E R R Y H I L L N A T I V E

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

The Dirty Burger posted:

Bobby is a good dude, he’ll find a spot for close to league minimum as a veteran like Spezza on a young team

Not too sure why they’re buying him out unless they are finally going to use some of their cap space to take on some contracts and picks, which doesn’t sound like Euge. $18mil under the cap floor lol

I know why: Melnyk will save $3.6 million https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/bobby-ryan#results

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/SpecmenceCBJ/status/1309320731918917632

https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1309484332583616513

Rumors are swirling they'll buy Alexander Wennberg out, too. Happy 2020! :unsmigghh:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Loui gonna look nice in a Sens uni

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1309521647578353664

Borowiecki won't be re-signing with the Sens, so they only have one player from their last playoff run.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I know Winnipeg desperately needs a 2C and defense, but trading Laine right now seems stupid as gently caress

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Gonna be sweet in 10 years when Maurice is still the coach and the jets have traded all the good and exciting players away for a revolving door of underachieving dmen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJExile posted:

did you know bobby ryan is a C H E R R Y H I L L N A T I V E

Excuse me, Robert Stevenson is from Cherry Hill. Bobby Ryan is Canadian.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Big whoop
if the pens sign Bobby Ryan they'll have the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of 2005

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

I know Winnipeg desperately needs a 2C and defense, but trading Laine right now seems stupid as gently caress

After next season, someone's going to pay far too much money for him to be the definition of inconsistent up front, and a liability defensively.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

After next season, someone's going to pay far too much money for him to be the definition of inconsistent up front, and a liability defensively.

"Very Tall Brett Hull"

Although statistically Brett Hull was still a loving scoring monster so he probably doesn't deserve the comparison but it rhymes and that's good enough for me

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Using buyouts to clear cap space so you can recoup assets by taking on bad contracts is a pretty good idea for a rebuilding team.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Ginette Reno posted:

Rutherford's a special case because he built the same team that he's now dismantling.

Did he build the team? I thought that the core was already in place from the previous GM?

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
What are the repercussions of not meeting the cap floor? I wonder if Melnyk would accept forfeits rather than pay the minimum to play in front of empty houses.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Did he build the team? I thought that the core was already in place from the previous GM?

So to his credit he did bring in Schultz, Kessel, Bonino, Hornqvist, and Hagelin (while jettisoning Sutter and Scuderi's corpse) who were all pretty vital pieces to the back to back cup wins in their own ways

He also signed/traded for the likes of Reaves and Hunwick etc. so it wasn't all hits and he burned a ton of assets fixing the mistakes he made along the way.

(Had my dates wrong, adjusted some things)

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 25, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

So to his credit he did bring in Schultz, Kessel, Bonino, Hornqvist, and Hagelin (while jettisoning Sutter and Scuderi's corpse) who were all pretty vital pieces to the back to back cup wins in their own ways

He also signed/traded for the likes of Reaves and Hunwick etc. so it wasn't all hits and he burned a ton of assets fixing the mistakes he made along the way.

He also fired Johnston and brought in Sullivan which, combined with the first batch, were dingers which led to Stanley Cups. He also found a way to get Vegas to retain salary on Derick Brassard, who never actually played for them, which is :psyduck:.

Then he kept striking out at the plate.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

It pretty much was all hits for the B2B cups, and all misses since then

Was just reminiscing about HBK, drat that was a fun line

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Big whoop
if the pens sign Bobby Ryan they'll have the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of 2005

Kinda want this to happen now.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Flocons de Jambon posted:

What are the repercussions of not meeting the cap floor? I wonder if Melnyk would accept forfeits rather than pay the minimum to play in front of empty houses.

They face a fine up to $5 million but this seems to be the big one "(iv) Declare a forfeiture of any NHL Game(s) determined to have been affected by a Circumvention;"

Can't win if you're under the floor or over the cap.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

e: av/post - so glad Karlsson got paid, even if he'll never be the same again

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 25, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

The Sens have like 3 players signed for next season... lol at how dire they're capgeek is

Poor Chabot, but I could never turn down $64mil at 23 so good for him

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I don't think that $5 million is per game it seems to be per infraction. The rules appear to be written to punish teams for going over the cap, not going below the floor. Bettman can also make the team forfeit draft picks, like they did to Arizona.

Pay a $5 million fine + forfeits + losing draft picks to save $25 million...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MapleLeafs/status/1309545950025854978

The Walrus is back in Ontario :toot:

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
To be fair, what does the league have to gain by enforcing the cap floor? Its not intended to impoverish have-not owners during a pandemic.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Paul please teach Auston how to groom a mustache, please.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

To be fair, what does the league have to gain by enforcing the cap floor? Its not intended to impoverish have-not owners during a pandemic.

Originally the sole reason for the cap floor was put in place so an owner couldn't put together a team that could get beat by a Zamboni driver, but :shrug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hirez posted:

The Sens have like 3 players signed for next season... lol at how dire they're capgeek is

Reminder that the guy who signed Nikita Zaitsev to that contract just won the GM of the Year award.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I know its pretty common in sports discussion to toss around million dollar figures, but it'll never stop being weird.

Like, I just learned that someone named Thomas Chabot exists. And then I learned that he is in the top 0.01% of income earners in North America.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Basically an attempt to force teams to put at least some effort into being competitive.

How successful they've been at that is another story, but there you are.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1309555850944688128

I'm still pissed at MacT for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But why? They could have two Edmundsons for that money.