Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
My grandma, RIP, was a plate mooch. She'd have her own plate of food but would always want a bite off everyone else's for whatever strange psychotic reason. Especially at restaurants.
Meek and humble voice from an 80+ year old, "Oh can I try a bit of that?" to everyone at the table. It wasn't a one-off, it was 6-10 times per meal for decades, and it drove people nuts.

As a joke, one of her sons bought her a telescoping fork as a gag-gift. Mistake.
This was like handing a harpoon to Ishmael. She just stopped asking and started plundering plates from that moment forward. She'd carry that thing like a Texan with an open-carry .45 at a BBQ. It was insane, food being speared and stolen from about 4' across the table.

At her funeral, it was held up in memory of her, and everyone had a good laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

I skipped the last three pages just to comment:

"cilantro, roast green peppers and good olive oil."

This sounds so good. Just ordered a single bottle.

To contribute, there was vanilla ice cream discussion a few pages back. Vanilla ice cream demands berries. Huckleberries if you can get them, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry etc are all okay too. A good vanilla + berries is an absolute flavor explosion.

Also, I used to hate cilantro. Could not stand the heady flavor. Would not eat pesto at all. I gave it a second and third try though and now enjoy it. Beyond allergies, if you aren't willing to re-try foods you "don't like" occasionally; like two years, five years, ten years later, you are seriously limiting your flavor experience in this lifetime.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Parents can and do, sometimes unknowingly poison their children's minds against certain foods. Treating carrots and peas as something "ewwwy" vs something delicious. Kid grows up hating carrots and peas for no good reason other than an early childhood memory. Parent's responsibility is to try not to do this in the first place. Kid's responsibility is to move beyond their indoctrinization and try new and old stuff in new and old ways.

Mommy used to boil the poo poo out of the vegies and make them into unpalatable paste...? Too loving bad. Look up a recipe, learn to cook and try some old stuff in new and exciting ways. There is a whole world of good stuff to eat out there.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Where does this weird aggression towards other people's diets come from? Look how you worded that. It's so unnecessarily angry and superior.

It's my lack of tolerance for dancy-sissy-pants whiner level of bitching?

This world is abundant in delicious foods. Grown adults that "will not eat food xyz because it is gross" can just gently caress off. Grow up. Learn to cook and enjoy the wonders of this planet.

If something is goddamn poisonous to your chemistry, then fair enough. Don't eat that.

If you are a grown adult and have not tried food xyz in 15 years because of boohoo, well, that poo poo is on you as a human, not the fault of the food.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

It sounds like you guys are the ones with the problem really. I think people should be free to choose to eat or to not eat whatever they like without having to worry about some mentally unstable person at the table melting down at them over it.

You can starve or glutton yourself out as far as I'm concerned. It's the bitching and whining about foods that are otherwise delicious that gets to me. I know of too many people that won't eat a thing because it was "gross" decades ago. Really? Have you tried it recently, in the last 5 years, in a different recipe perhaps? No? gently caress you.

I don't express this at a dinner table or bbq or whatever. I'm actually a pretty civil person. Maybe I raise an eyebrow or two at best. In my heart though, I know these people are claiming identity crap on stupid crap of "hating a food" and it is stupid as gently caress. That is why I sound so sanctimonious in my posts.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
I need to try crickets and grasshoppers at some point. Have not done that, may hit a threshold.

Oh, on the other hand if millions have eaten them in delicious recipes, wtf is wrong with me if I can't enjoy them too?

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

I don't think you should be harbouring this kind of hate in your heart over something as trivial as what another person chooses to ingest. It doesn't seem very healthy to me. Different people like or don't like different things. That's ok.

It is not hate. It is intolerance for stupidity. And for the most part, I keep it to myself. Except for this thread.

I'm also very zen and learn to let go of things that bug me. I can indulge in a gross ranting thing from time to time and enjoy the experience, and not be a whiny piss-baby though. It does not possess me, like some folk's disflavour of an otherwise wonderful food.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
oven roast those sprouts with diced potatoes and onions and some olive oil.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

A person that caves in someone's skull with a wheel-jack because they got cut off in traffic may be able to perfectly elucidate the reason but that does not excuse the action.

I have yet to cave in any skulls over dietary consideration. Yet....

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Mushika posted:

Before this post, I had never heard of cilantro pesto at all. It's definitely not traditional, or even common, and I say that as someone who loves cilantro and pesto. I think I've heard of spinach based pesto, but I have never personally had nor known anyone to ever have a pesto made from any other leafy herb than basil. I mean, I'd try it, but it wouldn't really be pesto.

I meant to reply to this earlier.

I am the exact opposite. I have never heard of pesto made with anything other than cilantro. Worlds are colliding here. Google search shows me there are things to learn and discover, and I thank you for this insight.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Big Beef City posted:

I wonder how many people actually have the 'cilantro tastes like soap' gene, or how many people taste it as is, and just aren't expecting "strong, very vibrant herb flavor" and just say "nope, that's me, that's soap I'm one of 'em".

I mean, on its own, it IS a strong tasting herb, like grabbing a hunk of parsley and basil together and eating it plain mixed together, strong. Still, douse my mexican and asian dishes with it, please. And, for those afflicted, if it's way stronger than that, like actually eating a whole bar of irish spring or something, that truly would blow. Instead, just eat the flat leaf parsley and wrap it in a fresh basil leaf like I mentioned, and pretend, I'd rather do that I think, then have mexican style tacos without that kind of flavor profile imo.

e: I've had and previously heard of cilantro pesto, but it's by no means the norm. That's weird that someone would be in an area where they'd not heard of basil-based pesto. Kinda wondering where that is that it became standard, it's interesting.

Cilantro is a perfect example of the thread title; it can be so overwhelming that people get weird about it. That was me for years. Love that poo poo now though.

In Pesto, I'm kinda stunned that there are options. Some basil, sure... but drat pesto is made from cilantro isn't it? Turns out there are some pesto options I never knew of or had. I grew up bay area northern California, a pretty diverse place, and now in north Idaho, not very diverse at all. Maybe cilantro pesto is a west coast thing? I don't know. It's all I've ever known of pesto, and thanks to thread, I get to explore new taste sensations in the future.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Ziv Zulander posted:

Around here you can get roasted and seasoned insects at the gas station. They’re okay, but the little legs and bits always get stuck in my teeth

Maybe with some good pesto dipping sauce....

And a toothpick.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Ok, here is a question.
How do you cook up a pound of bacon if you have family and friends over for the week?

I just slice that package in half and throw it all in, crank up the heat, and turn it over with a spatula or tongs until done. A big slurry of bacon grease and meat until cooked, but not overcooked, and then drained on some paper towels to get the excess grease off.

My brother does a meticulous "one piece at a time" making sure each individual piece is attended to with proper dedication. I don't give a f either way, but his way takes twice as long to get the job done.

Tell me goons, how do you cook your bacon? I bet we have some strong opinions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

teen witch posted:

twice a month Mandy?

a nice boiled bacon sambo.

ones gotta go

Mandy is now my mortal enemy whether she knows it or not.

The baking idea is neat though, never even considered that. I'm learning all sorts of cool things in the weird about food thread! Hurray!