Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Life Persists, and Middy is there to help guide the next era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is not the outcome I had expected for that plot thread, but I am glad to have it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is a truly outstanding resolution to that thread. Dragon Dad...

No..

Hot Dragon Grandpa rules.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm glad for them and all, but aren't the Ascians still active in the alternate timeline?

I guess a new WoL will stand up when that time comes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vitamean posted:

I'm glad for them and all, but aren't the Ascians still active in the alternate timeline?

Maybe Gaius got them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it'd be sick as hell if after we died gaius ended up icing the remaining ascians, including his country's founder, before getting owned by his own death gas

correction: it would not, in fact, be "sick as hell"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

My honest bet is that they hosed up with Black Rose. Black Rose specifically targets aether and while we don't know what it does to Ascians it is entirely possible it wrecked Emet-Selch's poo poo. With him gone you're basically in the same position as now maybe plus a Warrior of Light

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time travel is beyond the Ascians, right?

Because if they had known about being able to unwrite history, they would probably be doing it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Time travel is beyond the Ascians, right?

Because if they had known about being able to unwrite history, they would probably be doing it

Correct. That's a big part of why we're able to succeed in ShB, they had no idea it was possible and this took them completely by surprise. The Exarch is the outside context problem for the Ascians, and the monkey wrench that we use to derail the Ascians once and for all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A big part of it is that it involves things Ascians just can't or won't understand, including a weird primal who broke rules they assumed were unbreakable being reverse-engineered by 'lesser beings' using technology from space aliens. They are so focused on being the Best Society that it genuinely never occurred to them that other people could do things they can't.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the ironworks figured out time travel using technology reverse engineered from a space alien, and the immortal interdimensional wizards were blindsided by that plus the giant tower built by a society that reverse engineered space alien tech.

huh.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also after the people who reverse engineered time travel from space aliens sent back a catboy in a giant crystal tower to save the past, a gigantic space alien refugee woke up to protect them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the story of G'raha/the ironworks in the black rose future really gives the lie to Emet-Selch's narrative: when faced with the end of the world, he thinks that the current sundered inhabitants of the star could not save it like the Ancients did. But in exactly that situation, they performed a feat just as ridiculous as the summoning of Zodiark. And while it isn't half the population, G'Raha was willing to sacrifice himself to see that plan to completion, just like the Ancients were

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Farg posted:

the ironworks figured out time travel using technology reverse engineered from a space alien, and the immortal interdimensional wizards were blindsided by that plus the giant tower built by a society that reverse engineered space alien tech.

huh.

alejandro isn't a space alien. space travel is alien tech.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't read the new story so maybe it clarifies but my recollection from the Twinning notes is that time travel was reverse engineered from Alexander, and they reverse engineered Omega to figure out how to aim the crystal tower's existing rift-traveling technology at a new place without getting lost

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't read the new story so maybe it clarifies but my recollection from the Twinning notes is that time travel was reverse engineered from Alexander, and they reverse engineered Omega to figure out how to aim the crystal tower's existing rift-traveling technology at a new place without getting lost

yeah this

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing is, Shadowbringers is very much about how sacrifice is not all that it's cracked up to be, and is frequently a way of putting your burdens on other people, so interpret the Amaurotians' willingness to blow themselves up to make a god to fix everything in terms of that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vitamean posted:

alejandro isn't a space alien. space travel is alien tech.

Yeah but the ironworks reverse engineered both alexander and omega to do their thing.

Also I'm so glad that they made sure that the "doomed timeline" had hope of its own. :unsmith:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah but the ironworks reverse engineered both alexander and omega to do their thing.

Also I'm so glad that they made sure that the "doomed timeline" had hope of its own. :unsmith:

They more than deserve it!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the new Astral Era is spearheaded by the Ironworks and guided by Midgardsormir does that mean high tech dragon society?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hraesvelgr vrtra and azdaja show up to have a big party

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SirSamVimes posted:

Also the new Astral Era is spearheaded by the Ironworks and guided by Midgardsormir does that mean high tech dragon society?

Tiamat ends her period of mourning, becomes queen of the world. Everybody dances.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Omega toy everyone thought was just an intricate model emits a flash of light revealing the alien machina newly remade. Breaking the tension, an unexpected voice is heard among the stunned onlookers. "I now understand hope and want to help you build a better tomorrow."

After reading the side stories, Lahabrea certainly had some very particular interests.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
look when everyone around you has the fashion sense of a garbage bag you have to get creative

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lahabrea would 100% write ice king style mildly creepy genderswap fanfics

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Elidibus absolutely shipped his friends.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Does anyone else think the Sound that destroyed the ancients' civilization will eventually return as a major antagonist? After the Hydaelyn and Zodiark conflict is resolved, it would be interesting to see a malevolent cosmic entity outside of the Light and Dark balance. Something similar to Marvel's The One Below All is what I'd like, who is distinct from Death and Oblivion because rather than just being an abstract personification, IT wants to inflict suffering, death, and ruin out of genuine sadism and hatred towards life/existence. That idea also makes me wonder if Zenos is not only a direct Ascian descendant but carries a shard of the Sound's soul itself if it's a legit entity.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My current speculation is that after 6.0 is supposed to resolve both the Garlean conflict and the Ascians, that 7.0 will be about The Sound, yeah, and either center on how Meracydia or The New World is critical to that

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

Does anyone else think the Sound that destroyed the ancients' civilization will eventually return as a major antagonist? After the Hydaelyn and Zodiark conflict is resolved, it would be interesting to see a malevolent cosmic entity outside of the Light and Dark balance. Something similar to Marvel's The One Below All is what I'd like, who is distinct from Death and Oblivion because rather than just being an abstract personification, IT wants to inflict suffering, death, and ruin out of genuine sadism and hatred towards life/existence. That idea also makes me wonder if Zenos is not only a direct Ascian descendant but carries a shard of the Sound's soul itself if it's a legit entity.

Turns out there's a reason for that :yokotaro: crossover.

The YoRHa raid's gonna be MSQ required by 7.0 :getin:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HenryEx posted:

As dumb as it would be I would still love if the Cardinal Virtues were caused by White Chlorination Syndrome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

As dumb as it would be I would still love if the Cardinal Virtues were caused by White Chlorination Syndrome.

Remember that Anogg and Konogg breathed in funny dust at the Copied Factory :stare:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HenryEx posted:

The white ring of death that the first boss in Puppet's Bunker casts is called Life's Last Song, and it's visually identical to the ring of music the last boss from ending E of Drakengard casts.

Prepare to regret your choices.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tekne posted:

I've been seeing guesses about a Jenova/Lavos-like source of the sound for a while, so you're definitely not the only one. It seems likely to me, right now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tekne posted:

Pretty much definitely imo to the first part. We're supposedly reaching the end of the Zodiark arc, and having nothing on that scale to deal with in the future would be pretty anticlimactic, so yeah that was probably a seed being planted. I don't think Zenos will be directly related to it in that way though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The Sound itself sounds a lot like the description of the Ancients in VII discussing Jenova. And really it was either going to be Jenova or Lavos.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was thinking more Lavos

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Counterpoint: Soken remix of J-E-N-O-V-A

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

We did get a great remix of that song this year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz5IUOa4wms
But I guess there's always room for another

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Since we're talking about 7.0, that gives us at least three years gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Counterpoint: Soken remix of J-E-N-O-V-A

Counter-counterpoint: Soken arrangement of CT/CC music