Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kyrosiris posted:

Like he isn't somewhere in the upper quintile of that rear end-kicking list.

Lolorito gonna get Teledji'd if I have anything to say about it. Knowing the WOL though we'll probably just take a half step back and go mouth agape when he does some lovely thing and gets away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would be pretty stoked if some future content had us going back to check on the 1st and see what's been going on there. Still probably the most memorable of the expansions for me even if Endwalker was the pinnacle of everything up to that point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I couldn't help myself, even as someone who thought Zenos was mostly a lackluster character in prior installments, from saying "yeah, I do it to make number go up." :shrug: Zenos earned that from me by turning into a big loving dragon and swooping in to help me put the whoop rear end on the big bad just so he could have one more dance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I don't get about Zenos is why he never kills any of the WOL's Scooby gang. Like, you want to enrage her into a fight, there ya go. I was sure Hien, Yugiri, and Lyse were doomed, or at least one or some combination of them. Especially since most of their individual stories had essentially run their course at that point. I guess maybe that was his intention when he body swaps but then he just slow walks there so slowly that a WOL in a broken body manages to crawl there and body check him before he even touches a single character. (Excellent animation)

I dunno, I guess he killed Lord Kaien off screen like 20 years ago and killed that one resistance fighter to remind us that he's still a bad guy or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

sweet geek swag posted:

The person who fought Hien, Yugiri, and Lyse was Elidibus.

Oh that's right. I still think it's weird that Zenos never resorted to that sort of thing to get the WoL's goat, seems like it would produce his desired result. Unless that was part of his whole not understanding what drove the WoL thing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gearhead posted:

The main issue with Voidsent is that you never know when one of the fuckers will have a randomly generated special power that is horrific. All indications are that Typhon and Ultros, while intelligent, aren't particularly powerful or dangerous.

Typhon got the especially bad super power of "I have allergies"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'll be honest, I thought Asahi sucked, and Asahi Fandaniel sucked, and I was extremely happy when that poo poo resolved itself early on in the expansion. Amon was the best villain incarnation of Hermes imo, which works for me since according to the ghost dungeon it was also his favorite self! Good reminder to always live your best life.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Eimi posted:

Asahi's scene reminds me of the one good moment in WoW's latest expansion, where the noted fun rear end in a top hat antagonist is in hell and instead of trying to humanize himself or excuse his actions he just doubles on being a massive rear end in a top hat and flipping everyone the bird.

Also the best thing about the Amon fight is that you can tell who remembers what to do about the final curtain from the crystal tower and who doesn't. I played the dungeon with a couple newbies last night and I was like "stand behind the ice like in the raid when he does final curtain" and 2 of them just stood off to the side lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Endorph posted:

yeah but he lacks a racial motivation to his ideology or any of hitler's particular personal foibles. garlemald isn't even especially nazi themed. the empire in ff6 has more of a nazi thing just due to a specific race being the focus of their evil experiments and kidnapping sprees and due to borrowed iconography of the empire from star wars. for instance garlemald is roleswapped with archadia from ff12 in the bozja/ivalice stuff and archadia are combo greek/british with no particular germanic elements to them.

Garlemald's iconography and terminology are largely roman inspired, and their geography and culture feels largely Russian. Look at Emet's big fluffy coat, for instance, that's a very russian noble design element. the architecture of garlemald also feels fairly russian. they love them some loving spires. it makes sense to me. moscow, the third rome.

Guess you don't consider the beast tribes people either then?

I agree with your point about fictional villains, but I played Stormblood fairly recently and he's extremely racist about "men" meaning the human-like races vs the filthy beast tribes and their primal summoning.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Endorph posted:

okay weve figured it out,
varis: racist,
emet: woke

Hytholodeus: bespoke

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Runa posted:

That scene was giving me anxiety right up until the end

Yes, good lord. That was extremely nerve wracking and I really worried that they were going to go all the way dark with it when the black squiggly stuff started. Vrtra/Estinien MVPs

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Gaius chat: I like him because he's handsome and has a great VA and I would like to see him show up prominently in 7.0 and be a new trust buddy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Frankly I think the game putting a lot of emphasis on people getting redemption and owning up to their past mistakes is really great. It's a much better message than say, those Marvel movies in which 9/10 times the villain is just irredeemable and has to die at the end. The Scions actively seeking peaceful resolutions even after violence has been done on both sides is admirable and really works for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay so I just started catching up on older content now that I've finished Endwalker and did they seriously make Ashe and Rassler twins instead of a married couple in the 12 homage from the Ivalice raids? :wtc:

Also why did they make Ramza such an unlikable rear end in a top hat? I'm not sure I like this remix.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can't wait until the Midgar alliance raid in which we get to hang out with Cloud and Tifa but Tifa's an abusive girlfriend and Cloud is a Shinra executive.

It'd be like putting out a sequel to Chrono Trigger with a bunch of weird remixed not quite the same characters, and also takes a giant poo poo on the three main characters. Boy, that would be a trip.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pollyanna posted:

It’s actually a little sad how alliance raids have some of the lamest story in all of XIV. I can’t think of a 24-man with a good story, although the Nier raids are good fanservice despite the walking.

Yeah, I've done 2/3 nier raids so far and despite all the walking they've been a really solid homage. I especially like the datalog thing which makes the walking not so bad to me. Plus being able to run through the crashed bunker was really cool as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thetoughestbean posted:

I enjoyed the wine quests

The wine quest was funny as hell

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Argas posted:

As FF14 has repeatedly shown, we love himbos. And Omega is definitely a himbo. Fembo? Nimbo?

Ximbo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Uh wow I guess I need to finish the Omega raids holy poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Onean posted:

I think FFXIV could be enjoyed by someone that doesn't have MMO-brain if they're only going into it for the story, but it's definitely going to be a harder sell for them.

I had never really gotten into an MMO (I guess depending on whether or not you count Destiny as an MMO) but I got really into playing FF14 for the story and now it's actually given me MMO brain. So, uh, thanks??? to FF14 for that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The chainsaw scythe owns because it audibly revs up when your character whips it out in cutscenes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Magres posted:

I had no idea, fingers crossed that it's not too hellishly expensive on the MB

E: Fuuuuck 5M gil, at a glance at the Sargatanas MB. I really want that dumb fat bird. I suppose I better get back to my primary fishing moneymaker, I've been trying to keep enough gil on hand to swing for a medium house when housing comes out, and lost a few million gil gambling on aethersand prices pre-patch, was not expecting prices to absolutely crater when the patch came.

I got a dodo from one of the grand company lootboxes, time to grind seals and go gambling.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord_Magmar posted:

So, because I'm me. I've got headcanons and lore care about my characters background (even though this is an alt it's the same character, I moved my original to an OCE server and started an alt to stay in touch with friends). Sometimes the story is a bit funny because it's definitely not made with Viera in mind. Who could be anywhere from 21 to 250 years old.

Some of the Viis dialogue from the 1st suggests they actually live longer than that even. It's funny to me because when that stuff got brought up, all I could think about was my character having a moment to realize she was probably going to outlive all her friends. Including Alphinaud and Alisaie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah that's one, my character had that moment in Shadowbringers (Hades/Emet-Selch made him think about it, for obvious reasons). He's 150 and the max age for Viera is 360 (the lore states they're live 3 times as long as Elezen, who max out at 120 or thereabouts). He's specifically hoping the twins might see him on his death bed instead of the other way around because he knows that the others almost certainly won't.

By the math he's older than almost the entirety of the Scions combined during Shadowbringers, which is funny for it's own reasons, and I've recently decided the first time it ever would've come up at all is during the meeting with Master Matoya during Heavensward.

Also pre-ARR he was travelling the world for 40 years trying to find a way to stop Garlemald, because the entire reason he actually self-exiled from the jungle was the Garlean invasion attempts making him realise it's not enough to just wait for them to come to the jungle, because if they're not stopped now then they'll never be stopped. The fact it took 40 years for anywhere to seemingly succeed at fighting off the Empire did not particularly do much to help his anti-social mute warrior deal.

My headcanon is a lot more simple and detached; I used the Viera's long lifespan to justify why the WOL is so willing to just do whatever anyone asks. "Eh, these people are all gonna be dead in 50-100 years anyway, what does it matter?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nessus posted:

He's the only one of that quartet that hasn't been revisited in any way if you think about it. Livia Sass had her sister in Heavensward, and Nero and Gaius are actually personally present.

It still felt like such an odd choice, particularly because I played ARR years ago and couldn't even remember who that guy was. Very M. Bison "for me it was a Tuesday" when he showed up in that dungeon. Livia too if it weren't for the MSQ.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also primals seem pretty chill now? Bickering Garuda and Susano pretty much drained them of any remaining danger or menace they might've had, but it was also great. Bring on my new primal friends, I love them all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Unlucky7 posted:

I want to go on the Susano party bus.

See, this goon gets it. I love how pumped up Susano is both times we see him. Pumped to fight, pumped to save the world. I bet if you summoned him to get on the party bus he would be pumped for that too; the Andrew W.K. of primals.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't really think floating sky islands are a good option for the Ixal at this point. They don't have wings! What if they fall off? :ohdear:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ziddar posted:

Doesn't stop the Vanu Vanu! Maybe they could bond over being flightless bird-like folk.

We don't know how many Vanu Vanu have fallen to their deaths though. IIRC one of the sidequests up there involved a Vanu Vanu coming dangerously close to being startled of the edge while cloud fishing. The least we could do is start sending some carpenters up there to put in handrails.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Countblanc posted:

Every character in FFXIV fucks. Yes even Magnai. Especially Magnai.

Whatever you say, little sun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It probably has a lot to do with being raised Catholic, but I found the Sin Eaters very unsettling, more so than a lot of the more overtly spooky designs throughout the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In Ishgard they say "a royale with cheese"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thetoughestbean posted:

Inspired by the success of the anime Ya Boy Kongming, what characters would have a youtube channel where they start each video with “What’s up everybody it’s ya boy [x]”

So far I can think Thancred, Urianger, and Fandaniel

:pwn:

"Greetings everyone, it is thine boy Urianger. Remember, if thou dost appreciate the contents within herein video, pray mash thine like and subscribe buttons and keep those hearts coming forthwith."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have no idea. The whole thing with them disbanding at the end of EW was contrived as all hell and made little sense to begin with.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Since I did the FFXI event I want a glaive class that uses scouting.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wait, wasn't the rejoining with Ardbert temporary? I got the sense they just did it for that fight and then he became a ghost to go hang out with his other ghost friends. In fairness I was barrelling through the MSQ trying to get to Endwalker and may have been a bit high.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah that clears that up I guess. Wonder how much that will come up going forward if at all. If 7.0 story is supposed to be a sort of good jumping in point for new players, I'm interested to see how much they keep pulling from these prior stories. Maybe we'll get one of those new encyclopedia entries on Ardbert.

FuturePastNow posted:

"I'll tell you later"

*never explains it*

WOL loves to vague post.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Generally speaking, I think a better take is Ardbert returning to the lifestream of the First and eventually reincarnated as another shard of Azem who will be able to come back around and be a big drat hero again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really weird how birds keep being the hardest raid bosses.

This is only surprising if you never played the NES Ninja Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FuturePastNow posted:

Middy didn't have a giant crystal salt lick. He also had baby on board so he had to drive carefully.

So the Omicrons were actively hoovering up worlds at the same time the Ancient civilization was peaking, I wonder what that first contact would have been like.

Azem nods and punches her first into her palm.