Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Honestly, I'm kind of fine with Fandaniel being a more simple loon of an antagonist, if only for variety's sake; if every villain was as complex as Emet-Selch, I imagine I'd tire of it. Having an overly broad, scenery chewing villain as a palette cleanser before we get to the next one along is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Hydalen and Zodiark have proper efficient engines because they were made properly by people who knew how to do it. Primals since then have lovely, leaky engines that are falling apart, using up too much aether for too little mileage.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I guess I always thought of the grapes rationale as a bit of flippant irreverence. I mean, if I was asked ‘why are you saving this place and people’ I’d be inclined to a smartass answer.

I suppose there’s no requirement that Azem answered honestly or seriously when asked.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Also, literally none of these characters are on the stand when they say the things they say, they can exaggerate, they can lie, they can aggrandize, they can speak poetically or metaphorically, or just be loving with whoever they're talking to.

Which is to say, they talk like people.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I think it accords perfectly. If you have empathy for other people, you will help them when they need help.

That's not empathy, that's compassion.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Begemot posted:

Hermes: I didn't make Meteion capable of eating because it is an inefficient method for absorbing aether. It may seem cruel, but we have to be careful about every new creation fitting into the carefully crafted ecosystem of our star.

Random Ancient: Hey check out my cool new concept, it's basically a plant with a giant mouth surrounded by tentacles! And it smells horrible!

I have to presume that the board of architects has a rejected concept pile so large that someone concepted a creature that would hunt down and devour submitted, rejected concept piles for sustenance.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean mechanically, just narratively. Like that's where we are with stakes and power - primals once were 8 man trials are now 4 man dungeon bosses.

I guess that was the case in Paglth'an and the duty after with the Lunar Primals as well.

The main reason for this, I suspect, is because they couldn't very well say what those primals were in promotional material, live letters and the like without spoiling far more of the story and its structure than they wanted to - and if they hadn't implied that Anima and the Magus Sisters were primals, we would have very quickly gone from speculation of 'why didn't they tell us about the primal fights, they usually do' to 'its gotta be something worth keeping secret', and then it would have been spoiled anyway.

Personally I think they threaded a very careful needle with all that.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
The Night's Watch area in Thavnair has a big 'future content area' feel to it by my reckoning.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
Dude had hang-ups over how their society treated the life they created, and didn't feel he could talk about it to anyone and be taken seriously (the ancients needed to invent therapy), so he didn't talk to anyone about his One Clever Trick To Persuade The Convocation with The Experiment To Make A Bird Daughter To Ask Why (the ancients needed to invent peer review) and instead just sent her out with a faulty premise of a question and a zero-day empathic buffer overflow bug (the ancients needed to invent defensive coding).

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
“The ancients needed to invent peer review that is consistently applied to all, even when they are the boss of the facility that provides a peer reviewing service, and mandate it’s application before putting a concept into use” doesn’t roll off the tongue quite so pithily, but point accepted.

I do actually appreciate that there’s any number of points of failure here, where if something was done a bit differently, the tragedy of the Final Days of Amarout could have been avoided - it’s a complicated situation, with complicated causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

for real though I hope that the new expansion is just, you go somewhere else, and solve a local but not global problem for them. Then in another 4 expansions we can go back in time to the origin of the universe and punch god, again, after building up to it for another decade

This is what I expect, honestly - a reset on the rising stakes. A narrative can't be constant escalation endlessly and still work properly. My only main worry is that people will react to it the way people sometimes react when ARR 2.0 ends, and Operation Archon is followed up with Operation Moving House To Mor Dhona, and gripe about it not mattering, but I can't do anything to stop that.

A reset of the stakes, and dealing with some more local problems, would be like a holiday for the WoL after what we've just gone through.