Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, I didn't mean mechanically, just narratively. Like that's where we are with stakes and power - primals once were 8 man trials are now 4 man dungeon bosses.

I guess that was the case in Paglth'an and the duty after with the Lunar Primals as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I mean do you really need much of an explanation, being a race of hilarious adorable gently caress-ups is basically the Loporrit's whole schtick.

My guess is Puddingway accidently gave them sentience and sent them to guard the carrotorium before going into stasis for another millennium, like the butter-passing robot from R&M but with carrots and murderous rage instead of existential dread.

Ah, but whether you missed a hilarious adorable reason for the gently caress up is a valid question.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ImpAtom posted:

Especially Animal

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BEEF SOFT TACO!

BEEF SOFT TACOOOOOS!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was so positive that this image was photoshopped in front of the "Final Days" firewall that it actually took me a long moment to not see that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gearhead posted:

As I remarked once before, 'A Maine Coon is a lot less cuddly when it's the size of a horse relative to yourself.'

Growing up my friends had a large dog who would just lean on people. Even ones she was bigger than. She was lovable but I was terrified of getting squashed by her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I was so positive that this image was photoshopped in front of the "Final Days" firewall that it actually took me a long moment to not see that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're good people.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/1000butts/status/1470162801503076352

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The utter chaos as the Loporrits scrambled to demolish and rebuild everything thanks to the scions showing up; plus the generalized chaos as the Loporrits figure out what the heck they are going to do with everything they've built now that the moonship isn't needed is a pretty good explanation of why they haven't updated the friend/foe ids for their robots.

I kinda hope the Loporrits take advantage of their moonbase and set up some sorta Doctors WIthout Borders or disaster relief organization. They really want to do good in the world, and quickly made homes, food, and clothes would be great for civilians in the aftermath of natural disasters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The teeny tiny toy boat is stuck being stationary in two places at once though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

hobbesmaster posted:

The teeny tiny toy boat is stuck being stationary in two places at once though.

I'm sure that we can probably build more now, that don't have to be nearly so large or so fast. Or will be able to do so soon enough.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean mechanically, just narratively. Like that's where we are with stakes and power - primals once were 8 man trials are now 4 man dungeon bosses.

I guess that was the case in Paglth'an and the duty after with the Lunar Primals as well.

The main reason for this, I suspect, is because they couldn't very well say what those primals were in promotional material, live letters and the like without spoiling far more of the story and its structure than they wanted to - and if they hadn't implied that Anima and the Magus Sisters were primals, we would have very quickly gone from speculation of 'why didn't they tell us about the primal fights, they usually do' to 'its gotta be something worth keeping secret', and then it would have been spoiled anyway.

Personally I think they threaded a very careful needle with all that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The moment where I went from “why did they keep the bosses so secret?” to “ah I see why they kept the bosses hidden” was very good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thetoughestbean posted:

The moment where I went from “why did they keep the bosses so secret?” to “ah I see why they kept the bosses hidden” was very good

For me it was when I realized the promotional Amano poster was their actual in-game models.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bruceski posted:

For me it was when I realized the promotional Amano poster was their actual in-game models.

Someone else said it first but I love that the way we know someone is an entity of great import because they look like an Amano design

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
amano design like the bird lizard mount from shb?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The new himaton of striking actually looks really good and is great for simple, elegant glamours. The look is growing on me?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jetrauben posted:

The new himaton of striking actually looks really good and is great for simple, elegant glamours. The look is growing on me?

Is that the 580 gear? It does look good

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, is there a way to rewatch the WoL/Zenos fist fight? I tried looking in the Unending Journey book, but it seems like it goes from "Cutscene 5: You two facing off at each other/drawing your weapons" and then 6 jumps straight to Zenos on the ground."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

the_steve posted:

So, is there a way to rewatch the WoL/Zenos fist fight? I tried looking in the Unending Journey book, but it seems like it goes from "Cutscene 5: You two facing off at each other/drawing your weapons" and then 6 jumps straight to Zenos on the ground."

No, it's part of the duty unfortunately.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the_steve posted:

Wait for NG+ to be available.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zeruel posted:

amano design like the bird lizard mount from shb?

As In drawn by yoshitaka amano, one of the original concept designers for final fantasy. Omega M/F, the Warrior of Light, and Hydaelyn/Zodiark are all specifically designed to resemble his style.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gruckles posted:

Sundered ancients with the potential to awaken the echo instead manifesting their primal fears in response to the Final Days happening again I suppose.

Eh, handwaving all those people as potential echo havers (even just a core group of people whose transformed forms would end up defining or inspiring later transformations) feels a bit much just given how random and sporadic echo bearers tend to be when they aren't consciously gathering.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
The signature grey skin of amano's art

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

thetoughestbean posted:

having some iconic things to tell us about to throw us entirely off the trail by assuming they'd be the trial bosses and then throw them in as dungeons is very helpful probably

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Gearhead posted:

I'm sure that we can probably build more now, that don't have to be nearly so large or so fast. Or will be able to do so soon enough.

It’s going to be somewhat strange to have access to multiple spaceships but nowhere to actually go with them, given the universe is mostly full of dead civilizations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

mightygerm posted:

It’s going to be somewhat strange to have access to multiple spaceships but nowhere to actually go with them, given the universe is mostly full of dead civilizations.

Someone hasn't levelled fishing.

Star Ocean Expeditions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mightygerm posted:

the end of the crafting questlines explicitly ends with Sharlayan wanting to use the Ragnarok to travel the stars to find people still alive/being reborn and spread a message of hope to repair the damage done. I don't think we the players will be star hopping any time soon but they do acknowledge that we have at least one fast travel space ship (I'd argue the moon is probably best left where it is) and should probably do something with that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Argas posted:

Star Ocean Expeditions.

TEAR INTO PIECES

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's at least one surviving civilization out there in the form of the Omicrons and I imagine Meteion probably overlooked a number of civilizations, or at least you can probably guess she did. Either they were smol or she didn't get out there.

If anything it's probably put a selection effect on them: the further they were from recognizably like Etherys the more likely Meteion would have just skimmed past them while doombirding. "This planet just has weird rocks, gently caress 'em" "giant caterpillars? pfft whatever" "Here we go, sad tall guys"

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Since Meteion has some form of aetheric sense, she would be able to recognize basically anything with a soul structure similar to someone from Etherys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There also might have been stars thar were in like very early stages of life

"What does it mean to live?"
"Thog have big rock"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Argas posted:

Star Ocean Expeditions.

And Wawalago was never seen again

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Waffleman_ posted:

There also might have been stars thar were in like very early stages of life

"What does it mean to live?"
"Thog have big rock"

'What happened to the world filled with beavers?'

'We don't talk about that one.'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The way I generally took the whole Meteion project is that they were all sent off to specific stars, and then freaked the gently caress out because most of them were dead. So they likely didn't specifically scout out all the planets and landed on the ones we saw, and very probably, yeah, they did miss some that were doing just fine by doing so.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It also doesn't seem clear just how many Meteia were made by Hermes and launched into space. A few dozen? Hundreds? Or were they self-replicating somehow? There's no way they visited every star in the universe.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

It also doesn't seem clear just how many Meteia were made by Hermes and launched into space. A few dozen? Hundreds? Or were they self-replicating somehow? There's no way they visited every star in the universe.

They specified 108 at least once.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

thetoughestbean posted:

Is that the 580 gear? It does look good

Yeah. I was initially skeptical, and no dyes is an issue, but they've got promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm guessing they would have sensed a planet's capacity for life and send Meteion out that way. Hermes might even have asked Hythlodeus about other stars before then.