Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chillgamesh posted:

I think Y'shtola or maybe one of the twins mentions in an incidental non-quest dialogue they're actually a direct democracy, not a representative democracy

Late but they used to be a direct democracy back in the old days where there were few enough people to get everyone into the Forum. They're representative now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think not going to Werlyt has anything to do with Covid issues. This game has never added a whole loving city in a patch. They weren't going to this time. Hell, even Terncliff was a pleasant surprise but at the end of the day it's just a really big room.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eimi posted:

But I want my WoL to marry Fordola.

can't in case Fordola goes to Mars

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if there is going to be a time skip it's not going to be in a 6.x patch where they suddenly have to make a shitload of new assets

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm pretty thoroughly anti-death penalty so I went the other way

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah there's no way they let gabranth get out of bozja and then give him a vague "or is it???" death offscreen if they didn't have plans to run with this in the future, or at least wanted to intentionally leave it open in case they can come back to it later

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

stev posted:

The dwarf stuff is just really surface level though. A village of dickheads act like dickheads and nothing really comes of it.

I don't know how that's the read you got on it. What did you want to come of it?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think killing medics is considered bad form but isn't some kind of Hydaelyn war crime

In fact I wonder how "war crime" is even defined. In real life we have an actual international tribunal that decides those things, but not so much in FFXIV. I don't think the Eorzean Alliance and the Othard Alliance have hashed out a list of what is and isn't cool to do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
reminder that pagaga's dad is this loving guy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cuts, bruises, gashes, sprains and minor breaks - fixable with healing magic in the field

That's how I've always taken it anyway

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sadly there's not a lot else to tell he's a bit character from Tactics Ogre that you can recruit and more or less has the exact personality mentioned in Pagaga's field notes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've always assumed chirugeons use a mix of alchemy and healing magic because they're really loving good at their jobs compared to their real life medieval counterparts

For instance Y'shtola getting nearly merked by Zenos at the start of Stormblood. A real life injury like that would probably end up being fatal or lead to a deadly infection and even in the best case take months of rest and physical therapy to recover from but thanks to the chirugeons she was just down for a few weeks after her condition was stabilized.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've also always assumed - and I don't know maybe there's something in the game backing this up - is that healing magic is just pouring aether into your body to make the natural healing processes work in overdrive, so anything you couldn't conceivably recover from given enough time - like losing a limb, or having your spine snapped - is not going to be healable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Even though I don't think we get any hot Thirteenth Shard lore in the Reaper job quests since story agnosticism I wouldn't be shocked if we got a much clearer look at voidsent and their hierarchy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this is probably just repeating the obvious at this point but after rewatching it I'm fairly positive glowy lady at the end of 5.55 is voiced by Joanna Roth, who is also Hydaelyn. Meaning yeah that's Venat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

Okay, but if something was wrong, Venat didn't communicate it either. Which to me means either...

A: Venat is a dogshit communicator,
B: things aren't all that bad,
C: for some reason she can't say the problem (related to A),
Or D: that wasn't Venat.

I hope it's not A. Partly because I hate plots hinging on taking bad communicators seriously, but also because... well, Venat seemed to be a pretty good communicator in the Amaurot days, I expect better from her.

I think C is the most likely. It's not like the image of her that appeared was particularly stable just enough time to go "HEY poo poo'S GONNA BE BAD LOOK OUT" before it faded away

I'm guessing Hydaelyn is somehow totally indisposed at the moment and has been since Stormblood

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

What brought about the Final Days, that seems like getting into the Sound.

also the fact that the creatures who destroyed Amaurot are all over the Endwalker trailer

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cythereal posted:

"I know, let's do exactly the same thing we just did but the new god will have the purpose of stopping the old god!" is insane. It worked, but I don't think the way that Hydaelen was created is any more or less moral than summoning Zodiark was. Mass human sacrifice to summon a god to fix your problem.

I think it's more moral to sacrifice yourself to solve the problem than it is to let the rest of your society kill off an entirely new species for selfish reasons

Moofia Boss Val posted:

As for the 6.X patches, I'm hoping that they do the GW2 thing of having each patch introduce a brand new zone, so that way we can have the new saga kick off with an entirely brand new cast and continent/setting and we won't have to ever see Eorzea or the Scions or the city state leaders again.

This isn't going to happen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cythereal posted:

...Did you miss the entire expansion that just finished and how it screamed SACRIFICING YOUR OWN LIFE 'FOR THE GREATER GOOD' ISN'T BRAVE OR HEROIC YOU DIPSHITS!

What game are you playing? I never got that message from any part of Shadowbringers.

Hell, Emet-Selch's entire sticking point about how the new races would never be as selfless as the Ancients as to give up their lives to save the world is never called out as a hosed-up view point specially because it's bad to sacrifice. The Scion's response is basically "You don't know that and even if we wouldn't that's still not a reason for us to be destroyed"

Cythereal posted:

You know, minus all the Scions going "That was your plan?! You goddamn moron! We're doing this the right way, not with some lovely 'self-sacrifice for the greater good!'"

Except the Exarch does end up heroically sacrificing himself in the end anyway, soooo...

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 2, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Moofia Boss Val is trying to claim moral equivalency between the Exarch coming back from the future and erasing said future by changing the past, ignoring that

A) We don't even know that's how that works and

B) The future that he came back of consisted of a smattering of survivors who devoted their lives to the cause of sending the Exarch back to do exactly that.

This is because Moofia's thing is edgy hot takes.

We actually know that's not how it works thanks to that Tales From The Shadows story set after they send G'raha off in the tower

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You could make an argument that they couldn't possibly know that for sure despite the claims of that particular entry, as the project was wildly unbroken ground, but yes.

Oh yeah they were totally ready to cease to exist if it meant saving the world and were pleasantly surprised when they didn't, if not confused on what to do next.

Which again does not lead me to believe that "heroic sacrifice is inherently bad" is a point of Shadowbringers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It'd be also a pretty hypocritical stance for a game where 90% of named NPC deaths are sacrificing themselves to save someone else

Just, y'know. Don't make it your Plan A.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SirSamVimes posted:

What? No he doesn't, he gets crystallised because Elidibus overdraws from the power of the Crystal Tower to spam summons and G'raha is the one who suffers for it because Elidibus is using the blood from the vessel to do the summoning.

G'raha is already crystalizing every time he exerts magical power. It happens every time we cut to him working on the blood transfusions. He's already, bit by bit, sacrificing himself. And using the tower to kill Elidibus is what finishes him off at the end of the day. It's still a sacrifice, imo.

Chillgamesh posted:

The thing about Hydaelyn is that Her reason for being is "keep Zodiark in a headlock". Both Zodiark and Hydaelyn were manifested by people with noble intentions, but neither of them have a reason to exist any more; they're both just ancient constructs that the world would be better off without, and whose continued existence puts everyone at risk.

In what way is Hydaelyn putting the world at risk?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chillgamesh posted:

Continual massive aether drain while not actually doing anything, also the last time She did her job She caused the Sundering. I'm not saying She's evil, I'm just saying it's time for the world to move on.

is she a continual massive aether drain? I don't remember that ever coming up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

multijoe posted:

In order to stop the genocide we need to do ... what's probably also a genocide? No shut up Azem we are not going to fight it what kind of stupid idea is that

there is a vast, vast difference between people voluntarily giving up their lives and harvesting the souls of unsuspecting people who have nothing to do with any of this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine Zodiark and Hydaelyn are mostly sustaining off the aether reserves from their initial summoning unless they have to do something major like reviving a few million dead people

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Badger of Basra posted:

How do you think the aether got in them in the first place if they didn’t drain it from somewhere

Specifically in the case of the Eden primals it came from the Empty.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

musouka posted:

I mean, the only person that puts forth that the Hydaelyn faction was motivated by an attempt to save "new life" is a construct created by, uh, Emet-Selch. The Hydaelyn faction's meeting doesn't seem too terribly concerned with the whole "eating people" thing, aside from it not actually solving the problem as they see it.

There's no good reason to think Hythlodaeus was wrong about that one thing when he was dead on about literally every other piece of information he gave us

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like in a world where you can just fart out magic beings "losing your house" is at worst an inconvenience

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vitamean posted:

pagaga and that beastmaster with the mammoth will definitely feature in the beastmaster job quests

you'll fight the mammoth lady at 50
pagaga at 60
they'll team up against you at 70
at 80? all three of you vs lyon

this means beastmaster would require bozja completion

and honestly I could see that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ironslave posted:

That annoyed me because she kept insisting her visions of the future were absolute, and the WoL is standing here having helped changed the fate of two worlds.

That's because for all intents and purposes they are absolute. Like it's scientifically (or I guess aetherologically) true that Mikoto's Echo presents a 100% accurate version of future events without fail. There's nothing that's been able to even imply it's possible for events to diverge. Hell, the fact that Mikoto never even saw an apocalypse coming implies that the Eighth Umbral Calamity was always going to be diverged meaning it's possible whatever she's seeing is, by default, the "right" timeline.

That said you'd think by now she'd realize that her visions also always cut off before something extremely important happens that completely changes the context.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure every single person who's done that died afterwards as far as we can tell.

Misija, kind of? Save The Queen is a weird edge case though.

Oh right also the Zodiac Braves.

e: quote is not edit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

Sage and Reaper will probably unlock at level 70 and require you to have visited Kugane.

No they won't. They've completely removed restrictions like that from jobs. It's why jobs are only in the three starting cities now.

But a limited job I feel like they could do whatever they want with - though if they do make it like BLU and only have a level requirement then the IVth Legion Beastmasters will probably not appear at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gunbreakers are not common - as far as we know the ones we've actually seen in the game are it, unless there are more survivors out there.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Technically there are a whole lot of them since Garlean Gunblades were derived from Bozja Gunblades apparently, just redesigned because Garleans can't use aether. Beyond that though we know that more are being taught.

Garleans are not using the Gunbreaker discipline/fighting style or even the same weapon so I don't think they even technically count. Every person we've known who is actually a Gunbreaker has been taught by a Hrothgar survivor from Bozja.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess the lesser Ascians could still be around scheming but like...to what end? Without the Unsundered they can't really do anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're just as capable of causing calamities and rejoinings as any of the unsundered. Most of that just comes from scheming and manipulating people.

Whether they want to or not is a different matter.

The way the game acts the deaths of the Unsundered means that the mechanism for the revival of the Ancients straight up no longer works even if we the players don't know how exactly. Any chances of them coming back died with Elidibus. They could cause Calamities still I guess but there'd be no end goal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

playable ascian race

isn't that just the warrior of light already

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They're not going to remove their handy flashback delivery system from the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah this is pre-tech Garleans otherwise they wouldn't need forbidden void techniques they'd just, you know, shoot the invaders