Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The cat boy lives :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, I just realized that the shade who summons you back from the void is probably the shade of Emet-Selch, which is why he's doing his trademark sassy handwave. I thought it was Hydlothaeus for some reason.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW gently caress. I thought it was Hythlodaeus too. That makes way more sense.

God drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cool Nier poo poo I noticed from the final raid. Spoilers for most games in the Nier and Drakengard series.

The Orb kinda resembles the Seed of Destruction from Drakengard 1.

Knave of Hearts is a Shade taken directly from Nier 1. Same with Hansel and Gretel.

Her Inflorescence is a fusion of 2B from Nier 2 and Zero from Drakengard 3. Why the gently caress Zero is here, I have no idea.

Both forms of the final boss also bring to mind Mother Grotesquerie, the Ending E final boss from Drakengard 1. The white/black circles attack is also a dead ringer for the Ending E final battle mechanic.

Im sure there’s more references and :eyepop: lore implications :eyepop: that I’m missing. I’m gonna have to do the raid again cause holy gently caress do I love me some Nier and Drakengard.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 28, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Very fair, I guess I’ve mostly been distracted by the flower imagery + 2B.

Man, Nier’s so loving good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am absolutely infuriated that Thule once referred to a semi-real, semi-theorized island in Greek mythology and cartography, that Vergil once invoked its name in the Georgics as an unattainable goal, a "mythical place that could not be discovered and a place that must be discovered", and that classical and medieval literature used it as a metaphor for anywhere "beyond the borders of the known world".

Because then, and I understand that this is likely a stretch and far from the original intent, it becomes possible to interpret the name "Thule" in a theoretical and mythological light, making our Ultima Thule a veritable final fantasy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Francis posted:

It also got appropriated by the Nazis as the mythical homeland of the Aryan race, so, lol.

The Nazis deserve nothing, and their ideologies - though we must never forget what they did and the atrocities they committed - deserve no validation or recognition except to refute them. So as far as I am concerned, we will take back what they stole.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Miley Virus posted:

Definitely agree, I think Endwalker should have been two expansions. It still somewhat worked for me as a JRPG-slash-anime-as-gently caress conclusion, there's great character moments and a bunch of spectacle. I just get the impression they rushed the ending, perhaps to subvert expectations? It ended up feeling a little hollow to me because of it.

The linchpin of the whole story, the concept of Dynamis as emotional energy, isn't introduced prior to Endwaker. That's not inherently bad storytelling or anything but it's such a fundamental metaphysical concept to the universe, apparently more present than Aether. It ends up feeling like something they came up with for this expansion ad hoc rather than considered from the start. Square's generally been good at seeding plot beats while also keeping cards close to their chest but didn't here. If it was introduced in 6.0 and paid off in 7.0 I think that would've worked better for me.

6.0 being Ilsabard/Garlemald leading to Fandaniel-piloted Zodiark on the moon is maybe an obvious choice, but I don't think that's a bad thing. There's so much of Ilsabard we've not seen, and the downfall of the Garleans feels quite abrupt. There's a lot of interesting themes you could explore there, expanding on what was in the Garlemald zone we got. Building up to the Final Days gradually over patches as the Dynamis becomes more and more overwhelming could've been a really cool idea, not dissimilar to 1.x but for a much larger audience.

This is sorta tangential but, as much as I enjoyed it in the moment, I think they should've taken a break from Emet-Selch and doing Elpis in 7.0 would've allowed that. He's barely been gone before they bring him back to say goodbye one final time.

Having 7.0 be the finale would also let you finish the story at level 99 which would be cool as hell.

Honestly, having relatively recently played all the way from 2.0 to 5.2 (and then followed the patches afterwards), I vastly appreciate the denser and heavily varied story beats. There is comparatively next to no downtime in Endwalker aside from what is necessary to not completely burn out both the writers and the players, which is something I can't really say for other expansions.

Endwalker has a stupendous amount of Awesome Per Second, which is sorely lacking in video games today. I wouldn't trade that for the world, even if it is Neat and Cool to end the main story at level 100.

:v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thundarr posted:

To be fair, there was that one scene in Ala Mhigo where somebody was starting to transform into a blasphemy but nothing ever came of it. I wouldn't have minded having the Apocalypse weather crop up in other zones based on your progression, even if it had no actual impact on the story side from maybe having terminus beasts randomly spawn and attack you in those zones while the sky was on fire.

Unfortunately because 1.0 and/or tech debt the latter probably would have been technically impossible or so difficult and complex as to not be worth it. Also, spoilers for everyone not at that point in Endwalker.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The difference between dynamis and other rear end pulls is that it directly builds off of elements and phenomena that were already established in the story. The story came first, rather than dynamis coming first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also it wasn't "a bad deal" it was that he had seen everything in his life going to poo poo and was desperate to keep it together and this was what he viewed as his last chance. Had the End of Days not happened maybe he could have turned it around but then it came and it destroyed him. The sheer idea of "If you are at your lowest this terrible thing will destroy everything you are instead of allowing you to recover" is prime horror fuel at least to me.

It's horrific because it's so personal. Look upon the past few years of our lives and tell me you don't resonate with that in some way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jetrauben posted:

the Omicron homeworld explicitly sent a signal out saying "live" to all Omicrons in the galaxy.

Is...is that what O.M.G. is reacting to? :aaa:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doesn’t only the Source have a moon?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, remind me again what the deal with that one kid from the HW FF6 quests was? Was he an Ancient or nah?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, it’s been ages then. For some reason I thought he was an Ascian.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You. Every time you log in or speak in FC chat I say your name out loud.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FuturePastNow posted:

the Meteor Survivor ring has never been a better fashion accessory than at the very end

Holy poo poo, that’s an incredible screenshot just for the concept of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mode 7 posted:

Finished the MSQ. Man what a ride. As an individual expansion in and of itself I don't think it was as good as Shadowbringers but as a culmination of the game up to this point I thought it hit the mark pretty well.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. A large chunk of EW’s impact is driven by being a sequel to Shadowbringers and, most importantly, by being a capstone to FFXIV’s entire story. It’s a near decade-long emotional payoff. That necessarily means it isn’t as independent as Shadowbringers, but is massively impactful when it works together, appropriately enough.

quote:

Urianger got some good character beats in this one. That scene with Moenbryda's parents was so lovely.

That scene got me close to crying. :cry: Moen…………….

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This thread perfectly illustrates why Endwalker has to exist in its current form.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fauxton’s post is weirdly hostile to emo-era Meteion, but I generally agree. There’s been nothing but explicit support in the game for “suffering exists and life is about doing what you can to fight through it”.

Edit: what the gently caress where did all these pages come from

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pharohman777 posted:

So the start of the studium faculty of medicine quest has randomized descriptions for the description of the awful food you try.
Here's the various options the game can choose.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Perfectly_Awful#Dialogue

I love how even this is on-theme with the rest of the expansion. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Healer is the best role in XIV, I’ll fight you on this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cythereal posted:

That is what I wish we had the option to at least express to Zenos, that I - and my concept of the WoL - will never have a shred of respect for him as long as he thinks strength involves a weapon in hand.

If we did, he wouldn’t bite. That’s Zenos’ entire thing. By the end of the story, it’s extremely clear that he is not receptive and just wants to fight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endwalker has exactly the ending it needed.

Either way there’s no pleasing everybody so just let people who don’t like Endwalker continue not liking it, it affects nothing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Liking a character for their narrative role is different from liking them as a person. I would like to see well-written villains who boost the impact of a story because I want to see well-written characters, even if I want to bash their skull in with a sharp rock.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MechaX posted:

If a villain is so over the line that a majority of people don't even want to engage with the story any longer, I hesitate to call that well-written at all.

But I mean, the point is that: 1) Emet is not Hitler-esque, and 2) Even if he was, it's not going to be a handicap if the character is well-written because they can dissociate the villain's philosophies with their own to still engage with and enjoy the story and said villain's role in that story. Which is exactly why Emet is so popular lol

True, if a villain is a Game of Thrones-style pedo-Hitler, I’d rather they just not exist at all because then it’s weird and indulgent to a suspicious degree. But that’s clearly not what we’re talking about here, we’re talking about how villain is well written != villain is right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: no gently caress it I’m not contributing to this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t think there are any Ascians left.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

stev posted:

It's a shame it's the only alliance raid series (other than Crystal Tower) with characters and locations that ended up being important. I skipped through most of the cutscenes in both Ivalice and Void Ark because it's the most boring content in the game (other than some of the really inconsequential side stuff) but ended up feeling like I missed some context with Ivalice.

It’s actually a little sad how alliance raids have some of the lamest story in all of XIV. I can’t think of a 24-man with a good story, although the Nier raids are good fanservice despite the walking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Venat cutscene was one of the few cutscenes in EW to have me actually cry. The rest just made me tear up, though they were very emotionally impactful too.

I recall feeling personally offended by Hermes after the 87 dungeon, by the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Better than Westwind. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alisaie and Tataru are my favorites, and I am admittedly notably weak to Y’shtola :allears: I’m still mad that we never really got to see Moenbryda shine, what wanted potential. I also would have loved to see Ysayle join, and Krile really should have joined already. Lyse became a good character when she stopped pretending to be Yda; Minfilia was sadly barely a character at all and I think the dev team knew it.

Thancred is okay, Urianger I was meh about but he had some real good moments in Endwalker (that scene with Moen’s parents outright made me cry :negative:). G’raha is cute when he’s excited, but I preferred the Crystal Exarch. Estinien is good when he’s being comedic, and most certainly not when he’s being broody or a thirst trap, but I do like his dynamic with the dragons.

In terms of character development, though, Alphinaud outdoes everybody. Good, well-developed character IMO.

I’m a tad upset at how little attention the female Scions and other MCs get compared to the male scions, fan-wise.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IDK how I missed that. :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rexicon1 posted:

Tataru is my canon wife in the source and Giott is my canon wife in the first. There will be no more discussion on this fact.

are you a male au ra

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One thing I’m kinda confused about is why some people keep referring to Mitron as female, when we even see him unmasked in flashbacks. I think they’re confusing him with Logrif.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thetoughestbean posted:

Mitron is probably non-binary. They are deliberately referred to in ungendered terms in many languages and is referred to using female pronouns by a character in French.

TGLT posted:

Mitron's true name is Artemis, and they consistently don't gender them in dialogue.

Wait, really? I could have sworn the game used he/him at some point. Something did, anyway. That’s really good to know, thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: How did I miss this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FuturePastNow posted:

Not wanting to make that many custom models, but also I'm sure no one at S-E wants to discuss or even think about the mechanics of half-Lalafells and I don't blame them

Yyyyeah this is a weird spot that I wish they hadn’t gone to. Just make them literal potatoes and have them spring fully formed from the ground.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The issue with the Phoinix is that whilst it had the powers of rebirth, it held a burning contempt for all life that made it impossibly destructive to the environment. The Hippocampus and The Vampire Hesperos fused with too have incredible powers worth studying and preserving but would have destroyed the world.

Hwut? Is that what happened?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: I must have totally blinded that. I've gotten dumber as I've gotten older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My WoL, Ceail Oerdekka ("keel or-deck-uh", I really need to simplify that name), is mostly just a traveler looking to experience the world, and just so happened to be very important. Ended up being very appropriate cuz Azem. She's an adopted orphan, so she doesn't have a traditional Hellsguard name. I'm an Explorer gamer archetype, so she is too. Her backstory is otherwise very vague and hasn't been nailed down yet - I should start taking notes.

She's futch, lazy, bad with money, somewhat excitable, speaks oddly, and takes a while to warm up to people. Just like me! :sun:

That said, I kinda waffle on how much Ceail is me and how much she is Ceail. I guess more of an avatar of my will?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 3, 2022