Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Melomane Mallet posted:

So a thought I had...

In FF12, the dictionary entry for Zodiark mentioned that he was deliberately kept a child because of his immense power; in FF14, Elidibus, the name associated with Zodiark, was implied to have been a child at the end of the msq. Did the Convocation take a gifted child and raise him (possibly also train him for it?) up for the sole purpose of being Zodiark's heart? Because, uh...

i think they just made the model relatively tiny because its impossible to make a 10 meter tall dude look sad and vulnerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Terper posted:

I want to MARRY G'raha Tia!!

this is a compelling point.... request granted. he is now the canon WoL-wife.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the WoL just fucken BOOKING it out of the infirmary all the way to the tower was great

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
weep, you catgirls
my trusts have given you up
I now run dungeons with chuuni catboys
goodbye, wondrous femininity!

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
can't believe the WoL honest-to-god punched a baby. maybe we were the real [jet black villains] all along...

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

So, I'm on board with the idea that Maker's Ruin is the WoL's theme rather than Ultima's, and that leads to an interesting question - what's the song title referencing?

WoL is notorious for wilding out on some bourbon

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
everyone is so sick of villains with understandable motivations and tragic backstories. "please" theyre crying out, "just let me bunch a dude in a nazi uniform!!!"

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

lol if you think 'I really enjoy hurting people because my culture and social class selects for nihilistic sadism' is a difficult motivation to wrap your brain around in 2020.

I have no idea how you're getting this from my post? I was talking about Shadowbringers and how it seems everyone is wore out from complicated villains and wants something straightforward now. what on earth did you think I meant

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I really dont think many people are clamoring for the Garlean Empire to be cast in a sympathetic light the way the Ascians were is what I mean

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Dedekind posted:

If the role of Elidibus is to resolve extremely contentious debates, then you could imagine a system where you appoint a prodigy at a young age, before they’ve formed significant biases or factionalism, and then train them as the ideal mediator. Then it’s just a question of luck whether they’re still young when their services get called on.

I can't imagine this at all actually. it just makes the ancients sound like complete idiots and its a wonder their entire civilization didn't collapse on its own before a weird noise made them scream ghosts into reality

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
possible but man you really don't get a sense of that before the whole airbud-tier "hmm, nothing in the rulebook that says a 12 year old CAN'T be Emissary of the Convocation" stuff

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
do people think that? personally I just started feeling like it was just a shortcut to make Elidibus way more sympathetic in a hurry. his whole thing felt kinda half-baked but maybe it was only in comparison to the rest of SHB

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think that's probably it, just that the shallowness felt disappointing after mainline SHB. they did okay with what was there though and I think the stuff with G'raha and the minor Emet bits did a good job picking up the slack. everything post-trial was really fun

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
reminder that a mod had to beg Cleretic to stop talking about Emet-Selch in the main thread lmao

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
yeah the WoL isn't literally Azem but the game hammers pretty hard that Azem's legacy is still important, in the 5.3 denouement they just have a character directly narrate that the past is an important part of who you are even if you can't remember it etc etc

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
for sure, sometimes people kind of veer too hard in the opposite direction with it. the whole "the paths you walked brought you here even if you cant remember them" stuff is even narrated over a cutscene of the WoL dropping Azem's jobstone and stopping to pick it back up which is not exactly subtle

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
she needs to die in a regular dungeon so I can take my boy G'raha on the absolute choicest of jrpg adventures.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I could see some people being annoyed at the idea that the WoL has no longer "earned" their accomplishments, because they were born special, but I think that's a misreading of the situation

The only special benefits we've gotten from having a fragment of Azem's sou; are the echo (which is a property of all sundered souls, seemingly) and we attuned to the Azem job stone remarkably quickly

yeah I don't think the angle theyre going for is so much "the WoL was born special" as "the person they used to be was special to someone." all adventurers are following Azem's legacy, not just the WoL

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

badass. Alex's analysis videos are all great too

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the japanese VA still does not sound remotely childlike, he just sounds like a regular adult rather than particularly old or young

*edit* also arent the various language scripts written pretty much concurrently? if there was a "twist" the NA staff would have been in on it

YES bread fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 24, 2020

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

All of you that are screaming "ELIDIBUS ISNT A CHILD" are the densest motherfuckers on the planet.

are people actually screaming this or do people just disagree that some of the signs of it aren't that obvious. I think it's dumb if he's a kid but it's not like it ruins the game or something

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
gridania also has the wood wailer masks, you even get to wear one for a quest if its your starting city. its a cool theme that a lot of stuff from ~the before times~ has carried on thru the games modern societies

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think it's neat to compare the various different localizations for stuff as long as people dont get weird about it

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
if people really dig the idea of him being a teenaged alphinaud-analogue type character thats cool too imo, personally I just prefer the idea of him being a young adult cuz I thought him being an actual kid sounded dumb as hell. the fanarts been super cute regardless

https://twitter.com/_tnx88/status/1304049112107511808?s=20

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
elidibus rolling up to emet on heelys

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Amaurot was a highly advanced civilization that recognized the worth of manlets, going so far as to elect them to office

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Eox posted:

It could be that the dude who is obsessively focused on his memories of the time before he was tempered gets a little more leeway over time, considering memories are a key part of reversing tempering.

this actually makes a lot of sense. and tbh if your story has a dude who's whole gimmick is Speaking the Truth and he tells a direct lie that the narrative refuses to acknowledge, you're a poo poo writer

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
it is kinda funny that the story is still actively revealing more information about the nature of the echo and tempering, thankfully in a skillful enough way that no one is screeching about retcons yet

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Ultimately Gaia has an idea of what an Ascian is that definitely includes herself and I don't know that there's anybody who would know better than she would.

Gaia is simply too stupid to know what an ascian is and calls herself one mistakenly, but uhhhhh is also really cool and emotionally mature at the same time

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
most of those people find those characters sexy because they're evil. fordola is a lame flip-flopper and thats why people are awoogaing over the 9 foot tall resident evil lady instead of her

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the new world is full of oil ceruleum and there are already Eorzeans loving about there

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
goons wanting to re-write stories to erase all the nuance and cool emotional beats that made them resonate with audiences in the first place is my favorite genre

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I like Emet-Selch quite a lot, actually. He's one of my favorite villains from the last ten years or so.

I think it makes him more interesting, not less, if he doesn't actually remember Amaurot at all. I think it only adds to the tragedy of the character if he's done all this for a dream that bears no relation to the reality that was. He's been fighting and working for so long that he can't even remember what it is he's fighting for. Just a half-remembered dream.

you know they already did this with Elidibus right

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Raelle posted:

We always see stories of long-lost, ancient civilizations that "fell to their own hubris," so it always bewilders me when I see people want to reduce Shadowbringers' much more nuanced take to the same old thing. Amaurot was as effective as it was because it, refreshingly and convincingly, went out of its way to mostly paint its residents as innocent victims and well-meaning people. Like, there's an entire quest explaining that their creation magic is something in-born and natural to them to the point that even babies can do it. Blaming them for something like that is and would be really hosed up. Emet's grief isn't outlined as misguided, it's underscored as justified. The Amaurotines deserved to live. We deny them that because the people of the fragments also have a right to live, and their existence and ours is a zero-sum game. That's why it hits so hard. That's why Emet points out that the victor of your fight will be the hero and the loser will be the villain, whatever happens. That's why, by killing him and the last hopes of Amaurot, "you have done a great and terrible thing."

I constantly see aspersions about Amaurot and how awful it must have been from various people about how they totally deserved what they got and brought it on themselves and I always can't help but think that there's no way they're actually reading the text, but projecting what they've been trained to see from just about every other fantasy story of ancient civilizations. It's really striking that the first instinct when we see an entire people massacred is often to look for the reason they deserved it.

this is it. the writing goes to immense efforts to let you empathize with the video game people but sometimes people act like engaging with the story sincerely in that way is some sort of trap

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I don't know how you get "Amaurot let the rest of the world burn" out of it when the Zodiark summoning is literally what kept the planet from falling apart. like we all remember the cool endgame dungeon that had the planet on fire right, that's what they were trying to stop

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

The fact two randos were having an intellectual debate about actual bad things happening in the world as some sort of lark, neither of which really took the topic as something serious to care about other than as a position, says something about what the people of Amarout value in the places that are not Amarout.

no it doesn't. engaging in debate about real world topics because you love debate is not a sign of sociatal-wide moral failing no matter how hard you stretch

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

Uh if it's during the Final Days and they're talking about the rest of the planet getting mulched up it kinda has a different context to a normal academic discourse.

that people want to discuss topics that are immediately relevant? drat bro sounds nefarious

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
no way, can't have housing there if we blow it up

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Algid posted:

The end of the current story means it's a good point to have a new onboarding point instead of having new people playing through ARR, HW, SB1, SB2, EW, and then whatever comes after to get to level 99. If you have a new onboarding point it doesn't make sense to keep around the old characters as is because they're part of a decade long story by then. You'll either need a parallel storyline (make vets see everyone as DRG-Estinein and Coil-Alisae, while sprouts see them as new characters) or have some reason to write them out for the most part.

Note that I didn't even say I think the WoL is actually going to die, I'm just saying a narrative cover of something like the 1.0 -> 2.0 transition seems possible, teleport + time skip + mass amnesia etc. And I only brought it up because something happening with the WoL seems like a more effective solution than literally piling up the bodies of old characters.

this just sounds like a good reason to not bother with a "new onboarding point." people can already buy skips and then game+ or ignore the story at their leisure if they don't want to play a 400 hour jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Zutaten posted:

I know it's a tired trope, but I would like very much to team up with Zenos to fight a stronger enemy because Only Zenos May Kill the WoL. It's one of those tropes that always gets me, personally, hyped up. No winning him over with the power of friendship though, it has to be a begrudging team-up with the promise of a final fight after they take out the trash.

doing this while a mash-up of the respective characters' themes plays is one of the most powerful techniques possible. a "tired trope" done well is usually more fun and emotionally satisfying than subversion for subversion's sake t b h