Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mooey Cow posted:

The full term is the Something Awful Forums Goons.

As for me, I'm a free goon of the land temporarily making port in this thread, not beholden to any forum or web master.

freegoons on the land

we do not consent to joinder with lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i didnt know the origin of goon.

i just look forward to them changing that lame rear end grenade when stuff changes over.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Goon isn't just a nomenclature, it's a state of being

*Spartacus voice* I am goon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Nooner posted:

We should start a cool biker gang guys

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The full name (which no one uses) is "Something Awful Forums Goon". Also shortened to "SA Goon". The residents of the Something Awful forums are called Goons.

I don't think anybody not on these forums or an ex-member thereof even knows who lowtax is, much less cares. A Goon's allegiance, whatever little that is worth, is to the forums and the other posters.

E: beaten like a delicate egg froth

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Keep Goons. Death of the Author, mofo

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The only time I have felt a pang of conscience or self doubt about my identity as a "goon" was when weezy said "OK you're a goon whats a goon to a goblin??"

It really made me thing but, not all of us can be like wayne, the top of the pyramid is real small not a lot of people fit up there so I made peace with it.

I thought back to what Plutarch said about Crassus, who squandered all he had on a vain expedition in search of a triumph.

"However, they were all desirous to see and hear Crassus, though they were sensible that he was the cause of all their mischief.
But he wrapped his cloak around him, and hid himself, where he lay as an example, to ordinary minds, of the caprice of fortune,
but to the wise, of inconsiderateness and ambition;
who, not content to be superior to so many millions of men, being inferior to two, esteemed himself as the lowest of all. "

So while I will never be as good as tunechi and a "goblin" being a "goon" is still better than being a dirty redditor or someone into twitter or w/e other degraded debased poo poo people get up to on the internet.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 22, 2020

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I'm thinking nobody else is using grue so people will be like "dont post on SA you are likely to be eaten by a grue" and then that meme can be cool again

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

i just look forward to them changing that lame rear end grenade when stuff changes over.

What?

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

I assume all goons other than myself look like the goons from Popeye and you can't convince me otherwise

I prefer the striped goons from that batman movie with the penguin and dehydrating the UN to conquer earth or whatever

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
We need to learn to stop being Lowtax's goons, and goon for ourselves.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
seize the means of goonduction

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Gorns

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OP's

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Cool guys

That way people know we're cool. Duh.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
any goony goons gooning it up today in Goontown, GOONSA?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Goonin in the Goo S A

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

raspurtin posted:

Posting because Sid bullied me. This is something I've been thinking about recently....

The origin of "goons" as the collective term for SA members goes back a long time, like 2004, 2005?. Per the Saclopedia:

IIRC, the actual context was something like "you and your goons," or "Lowtax and his goons" or something like that. The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax, someone working his nefarious intent. Funny at the time, no so funny now.

I think most of us would prefer a collective term that doesn't have the implied allegiance to lowtax. What do you think would be better? I have some bad ideas:

Awfuls
Awfulites
SAPs - Something Awful Posters
The Chosen Ones

There, Sid, I de-lurked. Happy now?

look dude we're goons. it's been so long since we achieved our namesake that it doesn't matter where it came from. let's be free to evolve and be better without having to change our name. none of those proffered names sound good or roll off the tongue anyway, especially "the chosen ones," one because it isn't something that converts into a single word noun easily and two because it triggers thoughts of how the neonazis think that the jews think that they are the chosen race, and raises weird questions on that front

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

SA HOT BOYS 2000

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
we can be Children of Tama

so I can tell you, OP:

The river Temarc - IN WINTER!

Shaka, when the walls fell

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
no way, i have to be able to tell people "relax, i'm a goon too"

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

clammy posted:

look dude we're goons. it's been so long since we achieved our namesake that it doesn't matter where it came from. let's be free to evolve and be better without having to change our name. none of those proffered names sound good or roll off the tongue anyway, especially "the chosen ones," one because it isn't something that converts into a single word noun easily and two because it triggers thoughts of how the neonazis think that the jews think that they are the chosen race, and raises weird questions on that front

I can't say I'd ever think that about someone saying "the chosen ones". It just makes me think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petdsiZNKLo

However it is a deeply stupid name and should be rejected for that reason.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Absolutely not OP, I refuse to let that word have power over me

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Goops?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Goo, plural goo. Collective noun: a load of goo.

e.g. The mod wanted to shoot a load of goo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1045248506947035136

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1045247712139010049

we can't give this up

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Goon 2.0. Goon.0

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You loving noobs disgust me.

It's, very loving clearly, PUSHERBOTS

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

goondolences on your bad thread

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You loving noobs disgust me.

It's, very loving clearly, PUSHERBOTS

pusherbots are mistaken. pushing is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
we are hockey goons