Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hoho`win posted:

Is there any consensus on how to try on helmets during covid?

I need a new helmet, mine is 4~5 years old.

Genuinely feel sorry for you guys that have to live in such a failed state that this is a concern at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You stumble on them by chance and jealously guard the knowledge of their existence like your predecessors did, revealing them only to others of the tribe, the way it's been done for countless turns of the great crank.

Handlebar satnav is heresy, a dark power only permitted to the grit-buttocked priests of d'khar. Tempt not the friction gods, keep your gaze to the horizon!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Roughly like a Hyosung compares to a Honda.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infinotize posted:

I have my nerd-gray aerostich ... riding jeans ... looking dorky as hell.

I mean, really?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is super rad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ahh the ktm of planes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Surely the harrier is the ktm of planes, as it requires the wings to be taken completely off in order to replace the engine.

I think the harrier is ineffably british in that very particular 'man in a shed stubbornly develops a flawed, incredibly complex solution to a problem nobody has' kind of way, if it were a bike it would be something with swingarms at both ends, of which I'm certain there are more examples in the UK than the rest of the planet combined. Just as you can show me a pile of Honda parts and I can tell they're Japanese straight away, British engineering also has a certain flavour, a sort of endearing naive stupidity combined with occasional flashes of thoughtful genius.

The tornado is, by contrast, a very straightforward teutonic engineering nightmare. It's more complicated and expensive than a normal thing but it works just the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's not entirely true: BMW's front end is an excellent solution if you view the rider as a problem needing to be solved, as all engineers do. BMW let the engineers have far too much say in proceedings and here we are. There's a reason terrible, slow riders gravitate toward those bikes - they are flattering and reassuring as gently caress if you have no feel or any idea what you're doing.

Buel was a company where the guy in charge was also the head engineer and here we are.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like anyone who’s into motorcycles enough that this knowledge casually bleeds into the minds of their extended family has dealt with this type of gift many times.

I personally lean into it and wear them mostly in the garage, which, if you think about it is probably how the gift giver imagined them being worn anyway.

Yeah this, I have a good dozen shirts in that general vein, none of them have gimli on them though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know a guy who used to go touring with basically no luggage apart from a foil blanket and some waterproofs stashed under his seat - he'd just put the blanket down on the ground and sleep in his leathers and helmet. Mind you that was in a £1200 fitted BKS one-piece - dude was loving loaded, he was just obsessive about never owning anything he didn't absolutely *need*.

He was trumped by another guy who'd do 2-3 week tours (on a 916!) with just his passport and credit card, he'd stop in towns and buy a clean t-shirt and shorts each night and just dump the dirty ones at the hotel. He once spent half an hour in the pub bemoaning some big French supermarket chain had stopped selling underwear individually so he had to buy a pack of three and lug them around with him.

I'm guessing whether it was a 2 or 3 week trip was up to the bike :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just imagine having a spare hundy laying around and not being able to find anything better to spend it on than christmas lights for your head, jfc. Just get some anodised chinesium farkles like a normal idiot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Man angry at fun. Full story at 11.

What you think you look like

What you look like

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I chose that image based on his pants.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So......you actually look like a really rad baby?

There are worse fates

gently caress, this is both unintentionally true for all riding gear and a good thread title.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Scorpion EXO-RWEED

Lmao this has broken me, switch off the simulation I've had enough

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao "butmyvestisastatisticallysignificantcolour!!!!!" I cry as I burrow deep into the grille of a Lexus.

Visibility and the various farkes and rain-dance rituals surrounding it are the product of fear, which is itself born out of lack of confidence caused by being/feeling like a crap rider. You've accepted being hit is out of your control so you try to mitigate the risk by attempting to affect other people's behavior. You feel this is worthwhile because you've implicitly accepted that probabilities and visibility studies are more real and concrete and dependable than your own skills.

Will a safety vest prevent a crash? Statistically maybe? Will being a good rider prevent a crash? 95% of the time it will.

Wrt the horn: it is a device for a. telling people you're hosed off with them or b. making them glance up from their phone. It is not remotely helpful as a collision prevention device.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

Obviously all motorcycles should have reflective streamers coming out of the handlebars like children's bicycles do for visibility. And those plastic things that clack on your spokes.

I support this idea. Also those things people put in their car muffler the makes a blow off valve noise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I love that some of you guys think I am arguing that somehow wearing fluorescent gear is gonna magically protect you and means you should suddenly ride worse.
That's not what I am saying, it's just one more factor potentially reducing risk. Also lol at saying "skill" is gonna save you from critical situations. This is wrong, avoiding dangerous situations in the first place is the only real effective "skill" saving you from other people's mistakes.

These arguments remind me a lot of "loud pipes save lives".

Wear whatever gear you want, dispute scientific facts as much as you want and beat all the statistics. I will continue using gear as a complimentary safety measure, it's certainly not my primary tactic.

These are the exact same thing, bright clothes don't contribute to either.

E: you are (correctly) deriding loud pipes save lives whilst arguing loud colors save lives

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Again, not the same thing. I am arguing that bright clothes do nothing/have no significant effect. Riding gear actually does something if you crash. Good skills or bad skills I don't believe a bright vest can contribute to preventing a crash in any way. I've had people stare right at me with a headlight going and everything and still pull out. They aren't looking, anything relying on making yourself more visible is a placebo at best.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I guess the Army should stop focusing on camouflage then.

I've had to change my route to work because of the number of joggers wearing dark clothing running in the road. I can't see them till I'm right up on them. If they'd wear bright or reflective clothes, it would enhance both our safety.

Is this night time? Or are you legally blind? Cause yeah no poo poo, at night on a field of black anything bright and moving is visible. That's what the lights are for.

I'm talking about during the day which admittedly isn't clear from my posts.

Army camouflage is neither here nor there cause they're trying to hide from people who are looking.

Just had idea: marine force recon teams should carry a jammer that broadcasts interesting fb posts to every nearby device. Foolproof cloaking device, I hope you're reading DARPA!

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Illiteracy or just bad faith poo poo posting? So hard to tell.

Last post on this BS: road workers don't have lights attached to them. Cars and bikes do. The light on your bike is much brighter than a safety vest but that's all irrelevant because I'm talking about the daytime, and I'm arguing that a vest won't prevent a crash because the person who hits you isn't looking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I just give the exposed bit of chain on my bike (Honda) a squirt or two of lube after every ride. The lube is kept near the bike, and this is low effort, and it's basically death by a thousand cuts (i.e. after a handful of rides, the whole chain should have gotten some fresh lube).

Chain is fine and clean and not rusty, my system works. YMMV!

This is like how I never change the oil on my car because the continuous topping up of the total loss system ensures the oil is always fresh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

If it actually is looking dirty, I'll put it on its center stand and I'll clean the whole chain and put fresh lube on the whole chain.

It isn't right now, so I won't.

I wasn't criticizing, what I said about my car is 100% true, it is a piece of poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

At some point later this year, I too will own a poo poo car. Like a proper crap one, it's only use will be as a grocery-fetcher + taking-cats-to-the-vets-er.

That's all they're useful for afaik, also sometimes you have more people than seats in the van and it's not very nice standing up in the back of a transit next to a few bikes. I'm told.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is an issue I remember having when I was learning but now I can ride a 125 dead straight through a tornado.

Is the helmet buffeting? Probably, aerodynamics are weird.

Is helmet buffeting making you swerve? Lmao gently caress no. Your reaction to the helmet buffeting is making you tense up and steer without realizing it. Then your brain notices the bike isn't riding straight so you attempt to correct, but there's so much resistance that your brain parses as from the wind but in reality is you fighting yourself. So you grip tighter and try to correct even more and the problem gets even worse because you're still fighting yourself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M STILL FIGHTING MYSELF

Replicant.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, wind just blows you around and it gets tiring.

Human.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Apparently their Ruroc helmets are completely shite, i.e. they let in loads of rain, which for a :britain: brand...

Got a mate who hyped himself into pre-ordering a ruroc, watched the feature list shrink in realtime, waited a year for it to turn up, returned it because it had garbage finish, waited another few months for the replacement, is now searching for an AGV while complaining daily about his garbage helmet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like you have dollars in your wallet simply bursting to be free by whatever means google will provide. Good luck with cleaning the mess off your mess free tool!

E: the Russians used a piece of cardboard

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really, really hope someone wanders in asking whether they've ruined their helmet by not doing that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

frost orange of course :D

gotta match

You know this is an illness right

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I want is someone to make a version of the eye shields on a welding helmet that switch in a fraction of a second (lighter tint obviously) and combine it with the system that cars use to know when to turn the headlights on and off.

I’d happily charge my helmet or put batteries in it for that feature.

The system is already in use on rearview mirrors for when assholes high beam you. Isn't a welding mask basically an LCD though? I don't think you could make that stuff on a curving flippable visor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unexpected obstacle in the road? Just ask yourself: What would Jeffrey do?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

IT professional's

The accepted terms are nerd or dork tyvm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

syzygy86 posted:

You can, it's just expensive (and sounds fragile): https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-agvisor-lcd-face-shield?sku_id=1068727. You also have the problem of batteries and charging, which is always going to be a pain in the rear end.

Well there we are then.

Lol the top review ends:

quote posted:

Sure, on paper this is an awesome product but the execution has fallen short of my basic expectations.

:italy:.txt

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

If it makes you look like a dweeb you probably get fewer people walking up to bother you while you're trying to go somewhere.

But the ones that do will be the absolute worst because you've already eliminated the people with taste, style or dignity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love how they make it out of the weakest, thinnest plastic and attach it with the cheapest, lowest carbon fasteners available, and then have the cheek to put a loving back rest on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I took my son MX gear shopping and both the kids and adult sizes are completely picked through. It’s nothing but XXXXL and XXS in both adult and kids with no eta of a restock

Been thinking about this, does having an abnormally large (not fat, not skinny tall, just normal shape scaled to 150%) child make that poo poo easier or harder? I've got another year or two until I have to worry about it, but the big bastard is 99th percentile for height and 97th for weight, he's 18mo and wears 3-4yo clothes, I routinely get queried about why he can't talk yet because people think he's three. So it's been on my mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I might be mistaken but that looks like a fashion garment which will explode and leave you naked and mincy if you have a crash. There is no mention of abrasion resistance or armor pockets or any kind of protective qualities at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TerraCat posted:

It's this thing called a "joke," but I see you're living up to your custom title.

I thought it was the thing you initially asked questions about, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

my shitearse LS2 had this which made me think it was a fairly standard feature, yet my shoei neotec doesn't. I think the NXR 2/RF-whatever might actually be the first shoei to feature it.

My old raid II definitely had this.