Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Have WWE decided, (or can we tell from the presentation), which of the IIconics is supposed to be the heel and which is supposed to be the babyface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I, against all reasons and evidence trying to get me to do otherwise, actually like Randy Orton.

I have bad wrestling opinions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

a brand that made Bo Dallas work,

I still BOlieve. :colbert:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It's very simple and very WWE-esque.

The more the higher-ups, (Vince, HHH etc.) started paying attention to, and putting their hands in NXT, the worse it got.

Before, it was wrestlers allowed to be wrestlers. Putting on good matches and having decent storylines. After, it became WWE-lite, but not ever allowed to be as good/popular/important as WWE. (Because WWE is the bestest, and everything else is the shortest)

At least that's how I see it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When Miz showed up sick, (which is an arsehole move even not in pandemic times), was he sick with COVID-19, or just with a cold?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

First, I thought the "WWE doesn't own wrestlers real names" thing has already been proven in law. Warrior warrior changed his name legally to Warrior Warrior so that he could keep using it in WCW. Also Test changed his name legally to Andrew Test Martin, so WWE couldn't stop him from performing as Test. So unless they have re-worded their contracts since then, (which it looks like they might have), there is precedent that people can use their own names to do what the gently caress they like with them.

And also, amongst the hosed up things WWE has done in the past day, why is nobody talking about how they broke up Bayley and Sasha? At least they kept Bayley heel, so she can continue to be adorable and trash talk. But BOO to them for breaking up two friends.

Going back to the twitch stuff: I don't think it is about the money. It's about control. It's about "I OWN you!!!!", and "You will only do what I tell you to do. No more, and no less."

Edit: On the control thing, I also think it is about trying to strip wrestlers of their own identity, and opportunity to be themselves, and replacing that with a WWE approved and vetted identity where they can recite the catchphrase that somebody else wrote for them/the company..

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 5, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Something else that hasn't been mentioned:

This anti 3rd party stuff makes WWE even less attractive a place to sign for in the first place to any new wrestler they want to recruit.

Who would sign for a company that says "We now own your real name, and whatever ludicrous name we give you. You cannot do anything outside our company, and we will fire you on a whim at the most vulnerable time of your life. Oh, you have to move across the country, which we will offer no help, and you have to tour the country constantly, which we will again offer no help, either practical or financial with. One last thing, we don't actually employ you, as you are a contractor, so we owe you nothing in terms of rights and protections. And if the boss likes you, you might get a chance to piss your pants on live TV. Sign here."

Edit: I just thought of another complication.

WWE demands everybody pull their stuff from 3rd party providers. But what of the 3rd party providers themselves? I dunno how it works, but lets say Adam Copeland, (as an example), has a contract with Pro Wrestling Tees to sell his T-Shirts. WWE make him pull them from PWT's website and shop. PWT can say "we have a contract with you Mr. Copeland, you can't just yank your stuff from our shelves. That is in breach." And Edge gets sued, has to pay out of his pocket because of WWE's fascistic edict.

I know Twitch and Cameo don't work like that though, (I think).

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 6, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

CreedThoughts posted:

There is no way this isn't the new "friend" that was advertised for the Firefly Funhouse, as funny as it would be to imagine it being a gimmick change for a large wrestler.

But they already have the pig making fun of Bray for being fat. Who would Wobbly Walrus be a mean spirited dig at? (Most likely Otis.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A stupid thought:

WWE won't let people twitch under either their ring, or legal real names right?

What if (for an easy example, I know he doesn't twitch) Edge were to twitch as "Adum Kopeland".

WWE can't claim ownership of that name. So they have no contractual claim. And if they try to get it shut down coz they are still pissy about somebody doing something on their free time that is not WWE approved, it would die a thousand deaths in court as there is no way WWE can tell an independant contractor what they can do in their own time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Ivypls posted:

pretty sure i saw someone pitch this to a legal law type person and they were like "nah"

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that was the reason for "Tazz", "Rhyno", and Dudley Boyz" as opposed to Taz, Rhino, and the Dudley Boys.

The change in spelling means a different company/individual can use it rather than the individual/company that copyrighted the original spelling.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Tokamak posted:

I recall watching wwe documentaries that had bits involving Nia, and was pretty uncomfortable with the way they were focusing on helping her lose weight. You are talking up having all this expertise at your disposal at the performance centre, and the thing you decided for Nia was a weight loss regime. And this was the poo poo they felt comfortable with showing us. Like shouldn't you be talking about functional strength training or hell, having good nutrition to give women an edge with putting on muscle mass. Maybe there was a medical/physiological need for it, but they certainly weren't framing it as that. Nia is a big gal... that's her gimmick.

Being overly sympathetic to WWE, and giving them the benefit of the doubt that they most certainly do not deserve. Maybe they saw how Yokozuna's battle with his weight affected his health and quality of life, so it could be argues at an enormous stretch that they are trying to do good by helping an athletic performer try to lose weight and manage their body.

However, that would be wrong, coz all we know about WWE and those in charge it is more like "You are not skinny enough! Only skinny girls are hot! And only hot girls deserve to be on TV! What? I don't care how well you can deliver a promo, or how athletic you are. Put down that sandwich fatty, and dye your hair and get bigger boobs while you're at it."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

Vince should just be honest and state he "just wants a little taste. You know, wet my beak."

Mafia-rear end company

I think it is less to do with money. More to do with other human beings are exercising their autonomy and doing things that Vince cannot personally control.

The owning of their real names is an example of this. I think it's very much a "Stop doing things that YOU want to do. Do things MY way and that I can control. ME ME ME,! I don't like it when other people are allowed to be themselves and not who I want them to be."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Rarity posted:

And love to profit on a pandemic while failing to follow safety measures that infect dozens of staff with the virus

https://twitter.com/WWEShop/status/1302992528942272514

Notice how the hand sanitizer "helps fight the spread of germs". No mention of the global pandemic, no mention of the C word.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 8, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

ICR posted:

I love when WWE gets their hand on the dictionary and just throws what they feel are cool words together.

Locusts of Contempt
Cerebral Assassin
The Piccadilly of Punishment
Harbingers of Happenstance
The Breadstick Maker of Olive Garden

Some of these may be actual WWE things. Some aren’t. You may never know the difference but if you are a real fan, oh, you’ll know...

These things are cool because, yeah they may sound cool said once, or delivered in an imposing manner. But when you get Cole and the commentators being contractually obliged to repeat the same thing 7 times a show, and the wrestler delivering a script with it shoehorned in a further 7.

Well, then it just sounds silly.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I hope Bo Dallas is the boss of Retribution.

I still BO-lieve.

Also it could be a fun way to try and turn Bray face. Have creepy cult leader vs evil anarchist leader.

Brother vs brother. Tearing the country apart. Why can't we all just unite behind our benevolent corporate overlords and only work for them while giving up everything else in our lives which bring us joy/supplementary income?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

Miz cutting a promo about how it's bullshit that GM Daniel Bryan constantly kept him off Smackdown for being "a coward" despite how much hard work and passion he put in making the Intercontinental Championship relevant while never getting injured.

Then again, Vince had no part in that promo and was more annoyed that it was setting up a Daniel Bryan match that at the time didn't seem probable.

Are you talking about the really cool Talking Smack promo?

Coz I read that promo as Daniel Bryan saying "WWE style is soft and weak, unlike the indies where I cut my teeth", and Miz going "Nuh uh. Any fool can do hardcore matches, whereas I bust my arse day in and day out on the grind. Therefore making me, a WWE guy, tougher than you."

Which if WWE had any sense would have set up an awesome match where Bryan would have kicked Miz's head clean off seven ways to sunday, and there would have been a month of increasingly awesome promos between the two of them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

It was a work where Miz and Brian cut shoot promos on how different they were and kayfabe hated each other. It lead to nothing because Brian couldn't wrestle at the time and Vince didn't give a poo poo about what happened on side-shows so the ultimate blowoff we got was face Miz vs heel Danial Brian

So Miz and Bryan have real life beef?

That sucks. I know they are very different people, but I wanted to think they were friends.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I am biased, but I think Miz is underrated.

Yes, he can't catch people who jump out of the ring at him, and yes he will never be a Daniel Bryan/Bret Hart level talent in the ring. But he is a good solid WWE style worker, and always seems willing to get his arse handed to him.

He is a magnificent mid card heel that should exist to be a minor threat to the main event, and then get humiliated.

Another thing I like about The Miz is, even though he is a WWE-lifer, and coming in to work sick was a stupid thing to do etc. At least he hasn't done the overt bootlicking that Seth has done. He keeps his "WWE is superduper and can do no wrong", more bland and corporate and less desperate.

And I am aware that MJF does pretty much everything the Miz does, but better. Still I will cling to my bad opinions and I do have a great deal of affection for The Miz. Also, he seems like a nice enough family man in real life.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I just saw that UpUpDownDown has it's own merch shop online that started today.

The fact it exists must mean that it's WWE affiliated right? Or does it not count somehow in the 3rd party rules?

And if it is WWE related, why aren't WWE selling it on their own online shop?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Another possibility as to why it's not on the WWE main shop is WWE trying to toss a bone to Xavier Woods insomuch as "look, we'll let you have this thing, but you have to get off Twitch etc." in a ploy so that he doesn't leave, and take Big E and Kofi with him.

Or also maybe as a pilot project as to see if they can have a quasi-independant outlet for all the other Twitch/Cameo wrestlers, but still under the WWE iron fist.

Either way, and as a general statement: WWE is poopy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Does "Money Plane" count as a 3rd party income stream? (Assuming that it is not a WWE Films production.)

So wrestlers aren't allowed to take roles in films that aren't WWE Films productions?

Coz lets say you break your leg, or are otehrwise long term injured. In a sane world you would be allowed to film a quick movie, (obviously not an action role), over those couple of months, and rehab in your time off.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Carmella has called them out on it before. Because every promotional picture of her makes a quite pretty young woman look like a weird stretched orange ghoul.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

new raw and smackdown tag team belts are coming soon. not new titles, just new belt designs.

Why?

No literally why? To what end, purpose, or use is doing this? Why spend money to make/design the stupid things, and have whoever the champions are waste time on TV promoting them?

The only reason to make new belts is if it is part of a gimmick, I reckon. I remember Cody Rhodes' "classy" IC title, which he had when he was dashing. That made sense and was cool.

Making new Tag belts, and more than likely blanding them down so they fit the colour palette swapped scheme of the Raw and Smackdown championships, is stupid and poopy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RIP Pasquale, he never had his chance to shine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Apropos of nothing. I just watched the new UpUpDownDown which has Shelton Benjamin vs Samoa Joe.

Who else thinks that if/when Samoa Joe gets back to wrestling that he could use his "preaching the virtues of the power game" character would be awesome! He could even use it on commentary.

He is just such a charming, engaging, fun presence. I think it would be cool to have Joe kick someones head off, and then go into one of his freeform preacher rants.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

But the ladies really like him

This is something that irks me. WWE wants to push/promote handsome men, to get het ladies into rasslin'.

So Vince thinks Baron Corbin is a handsome handsome hunk, that the ladies love. So pushes him. Then there was the story that Bo Dallas got his minor push because Stephanie thought he was the handsome one of the Rotundo brothers. And as much as I still BOlieve, he is not a handsome man.

But then you have Breezango, who are actually 2 handsome, attractive sexy men, with a gimmick of being handsome attractive sexy men, that 'the ladies' actually do like. Nup, you are comedy midcarders. No matter how over, entertaining and/or popular you are. And Zelina Vega's stable of handsome men, which consisted of very very handsome men, one of whom is even engaged to a big star. Nup, you are foreign so you will be forced to feud amongst yourselves. (also one of you is a creep)

It's almost as if the WWE doesn't know it's audience, or what they want.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Not to defend Vince, or his insanity, but from that article it is a tiny bit less sexist than I thought.

I initially thought it was "I'm Vince McMahon dammnit! You, a woman, will only be seen by me when you have made yourself attractive in a way I deem fit.". And whilst there may be an element of that, it was more "This is the WWE dammnit! We do things in a special way where you will get less than no time to prepare for going on live national television, and we won't tell you about this until 3 seconds before air time. Also we won't train you or help you". Which is still a hosed up way to treat your employees/talent/performers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Rather than having Otis cash in his briefcase, it looks to me like they are leading to a match where Miz or Morrisson will take it from him. Or even worse, have Miz and Morrisson outsmart him in some bullshit legal/rules based "skit" and have him give it up.

Whilst this might end up being a fun cute thing where he gives it up for the love of Mandy, I have no faith in WWE to make such a simple thing happen.

Also, because it is happening largely because they don't want a "short fat comedy wrestler" who has a southern accent holding something as prestigious as a shiny briefcase, this makes me sad.

Regards to the poster above me: It is one of Miz's most endearing attributes how often he is willing to look the fool on WWE TV.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

If they didn't want Otis to have the briefcase why the gently caress did they book him to win it

I'm guessing because Vince thought it would be funny to have the silly fat man win.

Seriously, you never truly thought they would let Otis be a credible threat/contender for the Championship did you?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

have they explained at all how Miz apparently has the power to get Mandy traded to Raw but not to force Otis into a match for the briefcase?

I think they said he "called in a favour".

Which works for Miz's character insomuch as he has friends in high places, but not so high as he thinks so he is not quite as important/famous/good as he thinks, and as such is constantly knocked down a peg or two.

For example, if WWE do go the farcical courtroom scene, Miz's lawyer will be some Harvard educated dude in a fancy suit, but Otis's hillbilly bush lawyer will be 10 times as clever, and Miz will be comically humiliated by a courtroom loss. ... Then because Vince, someone poops their pants.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's the easiest thing to predict that a couple of wrestlers will leave over the third party income thing.

Weirdly enough, (and I am very possibly wrong on this), I can also see WWE backing down from the third party income thing.

As in it was a Vince dick-waving intimidation move that will be way too much of a pain in the arse to enforce, and eventually will be ignored by wrestlers and tolerated by those that know. And Vince will be told that it worked, and he is a super special boy and awesome business man by a flunky as he eats his steak wrap and refuses to understand social media.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Do the female members of Retribution have names? Or are they staying as Mia and Mercedes?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mr. T Ate My Bars

Mr T is a JoMoSapien?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Everybody is laughing at T-Bar, Slapjack and Mace as names.

But wait 'til WWE puts out merch for them.

Then you'll all really be laughing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It's been said before and said often but it is astounding how WWE can make anything and everything it does so lame and uncool.

Not bad, (which it often is as well), but just eye rollingly UnCool.

I think it is because they try so hard, but with so little creativity and/or energy to be cool. But their idea of being cool is to badly mimic something that was cool 20 years ago, but miss the point of why it was cool in the first place, so instead copy the wrong parts.

For example: If WWE were to run a "grunge" gimmick, they would think that the cool part of Grunge music was the checked shirts. So would have a character called "Flannel Fred" who constantly says he is from Seattle. They will then be baffled when this doesn't get over and say "why? this is exactly the same as that thing you liked?"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I want either Mia or Mercedes to be called SlapJill.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I just had another thought. poo poo like "Slapjack" and "T-Bar" show how little creative input the performers actually have.

Because anyone with an iota of control would have said "No, I'm not being called that." So it shows that the wrestlers are just cattle forced out there to do the bidding of the senile racists. Much like Vince said to Moxley "You have so much creative freedom! Now go out there and recite my lines, remembering that you can't change even one of them, and hold this pooper scooper coz I think it's funny. So much freedom."

The other option is that they thought Slapjack etc. was good. And that is not possible.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I'm still not sold on Roman Reigns. I still think he is poopy.

He just isn't fun to watch is the simplest I can put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

completely failing to understand on any level whatsoever.

This describes the WWE's position on any aspect of wrestling.

in-ring action? They don't get it. Just look at the hard cam.
promos? They don't get it. Just recite our corporate speak in this exact cadence.
charisma? They just don't get it. Just get the people who the audience like/connect with off TV, and replace them with people we want them to like.
entertainment? They just don't get it. Just put out 6-7 hours of TV a week, surely by the law of averages there will be something entertaining amongst that.